Brendan Dassey: Guilty of Teresa Halbach's rape, torture, and murder?

Brendan Dassy: Guilty of Teresa Halbach rape, torture, and murder?

• He was an accomplice

Votes: 68 9.2%
  • He assisted in covering up the crime

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • He didn't help but may have seen something

Votes: 67 9.0%
  • Probably not guilty, his confession was coerced

Votes: 231 31.1%
  • Not guilty, full stop, his conviction should be vacated

Votes: 270 36.3%
  • Undecided, but believe new trial is in order

Votes: 112 15.1%
  • Undecided all around, more information needed

Votes: 37 5.0%

• Total voters
They need to throw out Brendan's confession.
Will they still have a strong case without it?​

I couldn't bring myself to watch all of part 2.

It's a shame that Brendan's appeals went nowhere.

It's not difficult at all for me to believe that they were both framed. To me, it's obvious and conclusive. These 2 are both innocent, imoo.
I don't know if they are innocent but what I can't get around is the lack of forensic evidence in the bedroom where multiple rapes and violence supposedly occurred. The state did not prove their case.

IMO Brendan is a victim too. That doesn't mean he was not rooked into what was going on. Steve.....on the other hand just does not ooze innocence IMHO. He did have a miscarriage of justice with the false rape conviction and prison time. Unfortunately, he did not stay under the radar with law enforcement. His volatile behavior got him in trouble more than once. In watching the documentary, one thing that jumped out to me is how he spoke to his family. He was disrespectful with quick aggressive anger. They appeared to try and please him. When thinking about my perception of guilt or innocence of an individual, I always ask myself how would I feel if I was alone in a isolated place with this person (male or female)? Steve is one I would not want to be alone with.

I don't know if they are innocent but what I can't get around is the lack of forensic evidence in the bedroom where multiple rapes and violence supposedly occurred. The state did not prove their case.
Yes, the lack of evidence supporting their scenarios supposedly explaining how SA and BD are guilty should have been enough for any jury to return a verdict of 'not proved'.

IMO It is sad that so much is focused on SA being innocent and rarely is Teresa Halbach the victim mentioned. As we know, circumstantial evidence can go either way. In this case, regardless of it being the prosecution or defense, both had the opportunity to present evidence. Juries can be unpredictable too (Casey Anthony).
I've tried to come up with three things that absolutely support factually that he is innocent and IMHO I have yet to be able to do it. No theory, no assumption....just facts.

IMO It is sad that so much is focused on SA being innocent and rarely is Teresa Halbach the victim mentioned. As we know, circumstantial evidence can go either way. In this case, regardless of it being the prosecution or defense, both had the opportunity to present evidence. Juries can be unpredictable too (Casey Anthony).

It's my judgement that SA and BD are innocent, and since they are in prison whoever did commit crimes against Teresa have escaped justice. That compounds the tragedy.

I've tried to come up with three things that absolutely support factually that he is innocent and IMHO I have yet to be able to do it. No theory, no assumption....just facts.

BBM

The 'evidence' that something didn't happen is the lack of evidence that it did. Things that don't happen won't leave the same sort of clues.

For example: Proving I never set foot in Charlotte NC is more difficult than trying to prove I was in Washington DC - because what evidence could show I wasn't in a particular city?

After watching the Dassey tapes, [Professor Richard] Ofshe believes Dassey was giving a forced
confession. “I see something that almost makes one ashamed to be an American,” Ofshe said. “It’s that bad. I’ve studied the transcripts… they threatened him. They told him there are people who want to charge him and we are your shield from those people. … ‘We are going to help you.’ They tell him repeatedly as long as Steven told you to do this, you didn’t do anything wrong… And then through that they get him to say anything that they want him to say.” (ASHLEY LOUSZKO, IGNACIO TORRES, LAUREN EFFRON and BEN NEWMAN in an ABC News article from 8 March 2016).

When Mr. Dassey's case was before the Supreme Court, Professor Saul Kassin wrote, "The 7th Circuit cited three arguments in support of Dassey’s confession. First, it noted that Dassey was not subject to physical force or mental exhaustion. He wasn’t handcuffed, yelled at or beaten into submission. This is true. But setting the bar this low represents an incomprehensible step backward. Even the Miranda court over 52 years ago understood that a subtle psychological approach can be inherently coercive...Over the years, the U.S. Supreme Court has sought to protect children, recognizing that they require special care. The treatment of Brendan Dassey — using interrogation tactics built for adults and troubling in their own right — controverts this position and should be re-examined."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back