Brendan Dassey: Guilty of Teresa Halbach's rape, torture, and murder?

Discussion in 'Netflix Series: Making A Murderer' started by shadowraiths, Jan 14, 2016.

?

Brendan Dassy: Guilty of Teresa Halbach rape, torture, and murder?

1. He was an accomplice

56 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. He assisted in covering up the crime

50 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. He didn't help but may have seen something

55 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Probably not guilty, his confession was coerced

182 vote(s)
    28.9%
  5. Not guilty, full stop, his conviction should be vacated

242 vote(s)
    38.5%
  6. Undecided, but believe new trial is in order

96 vote(s)
    15.3%
  7. Undecided all around, more information needed

32 vote(s)
    5.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

^^^This!!

Axie, GoBuckeyes, Flight154 and 2 others like this.

2. Turbocharged

Turbocharged Active Member

I remember his trial at the end he said I didn’t do anything and I believe that
    A young kid like that if he would have done the things he confessed to would not have been able to function like a normal person-I never understood why they even started questioning him-was it just what his cousin said he was acting nervous?

3. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

It did start with a cousin... well, that's what LE says lol I think it was a bit of that and a bit of an "easy target" type thing. But JMO.

Axie and GoBuckeyes like this.
  4. chickeyd

chickeyd New Member

Hi - newbie here, but I follow the Dassey case for a couple of reasons. First, I'm (nearly) local. Within 90 minutes of Manitowoc. Second, I work with children and young adults with special needs and I understand young adults like Brendan Dassey.

His new lawyer is very vocal and active on Twitter. Her handle is @LauraNirider.

Dassey's appeal to Govenor Evers for clemency was denied on 12/21/19. Wasn't even trying to get his conviction overturned, just get the poor young man out of prison. Brendan isn't eligible for parole until 2048. He will be 59 years old.

You've all debated this before. Brendan's confession doesn't match the evidence. His IQ and demeanor make him susceptible to "confession to please." This is a gross miscarriage of justice.

5. Dylansmom08

Dylansmom08 Well-Known Member

I just started watching this series and getting familiar with the case. So far I haven't seen or heard anything that would lead me to believe that Brendan Dassey had anything to do with this crime. As a mother of a special needs son I can clearly pick up on the fact that Brendan lacked the mental ability to defend himself to the detectives. He was led to belive that if he told them what they wanted to hear he would be in no trouble and he believed them because he didn't know any better. I think the detectives used his disablities against him and that to me is beyond horrible.

6. GoBuckeyes

GoBuckeyes Well-Known Member

Part 2 of the documentary convinced me that neither defendant had anything to do with the murder. I feel for the victim's family, and also for the defendants' family. Injustice all the way around on this one. MOO

7. KH420

KH420 New Member

You know, from what I've seen on so many other documentaries other people who claim they're innocent seem to get a retrial when new evidence is found. But this case... there is tons of evidence to prove that Brendan and Steven are innocent. And this judge keeps denying a new trial. The crappy justice system is bound and determined to keep these 2 innocent men in prison. I have no faith in our justice system because of this. Brendan was coerced into confessing with out his lawyer presant. This should have been thrown out immediately.

Laura Mountford and badgersmythe like this.
  8. Laura Mountford

Laura Mountford Active Member

The fact that they won't even consider a new trial is so suspicious in and of itself. I get that these things cost time and money but many people have been granted a re-trial with far less proof of their innocence so why can't the Avery's? Every time they knock back their re-trials or appeals they are showing they have something to hide and they are all corrupt.
    Boils my blood.

9. Laura Mountford

Laura Mountford Active Member

As a support worker for people with disabilities and learning difficulties I agree fully with this. Almost every single person I support, I'm almost certain would have done the exact same thing as Brendan in that situation.

Dylansmom08 likes this.