Brendan Dassey: Guilty of Teresa Halbach's rape, torture, and murder?

Brendan Dassy: Guilty of Teresa Halbach rape, torture, and murder?

• He was an accomplice

Votes: 68 9.2%
  • He assisted in covering up the crime

Votes: 59 7.9%
  • He didn't help but may have seen something

Votes: 67 9.0%
  • Probably not guilty, his confession was coerced

Votes: 231 31.1%
  • Not guilty, full stop, his conviction should be vacated

Votes: 270 36.3%
  • Undecided, but believe new trial is in order

Votes: 112 15.1%
  • Undecided all around, more information needed

Votes: 37 5.0%

• Total voters
This 6/12/18 year thing is not that clear cut, at least not to me, and I know it's not to others as well. He was convicted of the assault against P.B., wrongfully, and later plead no contest and got 6 years to run concurrently. Here is the doc: http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-c...f-Conviction-1985-Endagerment-and-Firearm.pdf

But lets put it into context... or better yet, lets look at how Buting put it into context in a Memo Opposing prior bad acts: Page 13 http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-c...mo-Opposing-Uncharged-Misconduct-Evidence.pdf

Avery pled guilty or no contest to the Morris charge
- but only after his wrongful conviction for the 1985 rape and on the expectation
that he would get a concurrent sentence (which he did). His failure to contest the
Morris charge must be understood in that context. He was a man whom the system
had failed, who was bitter, who by reason of immediate personal experience quite
understandably doubted the ability of juries to spare the innocent, and who was
giving up hope. If the Court admitted the Morris incident, it also would have to
allow this evidence of context

SM also backtracked on some of the written report statements in her deposition.
[video=youtube;QbA5rPXIFr8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbA5rPXIFr8[/video]

And lets not forget her BFF Judy Dvorak, her comments IMO are largely responsible for PB misidentifying SA.
(I was unable to include the 6 minute youtube clip of her deposition, only 1 video allowed in a post... who knew? LOL)

Also, whether it's agreed on or not, SA WAS suing for 18 years of wrongful imprisonment, I have read the majority of the documents (if not all lol) and have never come across anything that Manitowoc County, Kocourek or Vogel argued that it was actually only 12 years.

This I would agree with. I think Jodi spoke about it in her interviews and they are in the CASO report.

This I am not sure I can agree with because I don't have any evidence of that. We do know that October 31st would have been the 6th time she photographed a vehicle for SA, but it was technically a Janda vehicle. We also know she did one in September for Tom Janda.

from this doc http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Offer-of-Proof.pdf

a) June 20, 2005 (Image #1)
b) August 22,2005 (Image#2)
c) August 29,2005 (Image #3)
d) September 19,2005 (Images #4 and #5)
e) October 10, 2005 (Image #6)

Taking a quick look at the documents, it looks like TJanda had an appointment for the 19th of September, but maybe she did a hustle shot for Avery that day as well. Never noticed this before now. On her sheet it said 2 photo's and another, see attached, but I don't see 'the attached'. http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-c...it-19-Halbach-Appointment-Sheet-2005Sep19.pdf

Sure.

How do we know this?

Don't forget that we only have a small window of phone records for SA, and they are cell phone records. Those records do indicate that he made numerous calls.

I'm going to stop here for now ;-)
BAM!!
Thank you Missy, for doing what some of us just do not have the patients to do❤😉

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BAM!!
Thank you Missy, for doing what some of us just do not have the patients to do❤��

I hope that Hoosen_Fenger can see that some of us just don't see it so simply, there are so many things in this case that are just not cut and dry like some imply or think.

Just as an example.... a statement like "they found her RAV4 key in his bedroom" seems really damning, but when examined more thoroughly it's just not that simple (and even KK almost seemed to concede to that with his "even if it was planted" comment in opening or closing statements)

for anyone that is interested, here is a clip of Judy Dvorak's deposition. I wasn't able to put it in my post.

JD was good friends with SM and played a big role, IMO, in the PB case.

[video=youtube;POeV06Z7pj4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POeV06Z7pj4[/video]

I hope that Hoosen_Fenger can see that some of us just don't see it so simply, there are so many things in this case that are just not cut and dry like some imply or think.

Just as an example.... a statement like "they found her RAV4 key in his bedroom" seems really damning, but when examined more thoroughly it's just not that simple (and even KK almost seemed to concede to that with his "even if it was planted" comment in opening or closing statements)
Yep.

for anyone that is interested, here is a clip of Judy Dvorak's deposition. I wasn't able to put it in my post.

JD was good friends with SM and played a big role, IMO, in the PB case.

[video=youtube;POeV06Z7pj4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POeV06Z7pj4[/video]
I couldn't stand looking at her in this...

TH arrived at the Avery Salvage Yard. (Whether she took photos or not is moot, because despite people saying they saw her with a camera,the photos have never been found.)
After this time, she became a missing person.
Apart from later reports of who might have seen her, there is no factual evidence to say what happened to her.
Her car was found on the ASY.
The blood, of SA was found in that car, along with her own.
Bullets from a gun, that convicted felon SA should not have been keeping above his bed, were found in a garage.
One of those bullets, had Teresa's DNA on it.
Remnants of her burnt bones, were found right outside the house of the last person she was known to have met.
Her phone, stopped working/ was switched off/ battery died, around 230 on the day this took place. (I know that is not an exact time.)
That is the last time, the person she was last known to have met, also stopped making calls.
The person accused of her murder, had a bonfire on the last day she was seen alive.
His Nephew, attended that bonfire.
His nephew admitted to his mother, he went to the bonfire.

As for the clean up in the garage, who did what at the bonfire, Avery's press & subsequent police interviews, I'll leave for a moment.

Based upon what I have outlined above, please let me know if any of those are not facts.

Given the agreed facts, (plus or minus any changes you want to make,) there is a case for asking Avery what happened.

He did not give clear & concise answers, so the investigation continued.

The evidence was found, his nephew confessed, and he was found to be guilty by 12 peers.

Come on. I have a small dog. There is a pile of *advertiser censored* steaming and he is sitting next to it looking like butter would not melt in his mouth. Am I going to say 'Oh, my sweetie, that could not possibly be you!'

Okay, so I've decided that I just can't go through these one by one LOL I think the various threads here on websleuth's go through the issues and doubts that many of us have, from the bones to the bonfire, to the jury that convicted him.

A few things I will address though:

between 2:43 and 4:35pm her phone went off, we don't know exactly what time.

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-c...Trial-Exhibit-361-Halbach-Cingular-Report.pdf

Interview of Brad Czech:

He stated that he had text messaged TERESA at 1245 hrs. on 10131105 and he had gotten no response.

He believed he slept during the day and was not very sure of anything else he did. He stated he got a voice mail message about 1400 hrs. and, at that time, got up, did a couple of chores and was back to bed shortly thereafter. He allowed us to review his cellular phone and there were missed calls at 5:55 p.m., 7:53 p.m. and 7:54 p.m

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/CASO-Investigative-Report.pdf#page=45

RH's phone records indicate he didn't use it from 3:50 until 6:01pm on the 31st.

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-c...ction-Scientific-Testing_redacted.pdf#page=57

This is just from the information we know, who else didn't use their phone that day and may not be accounted for?

I was thinking about "Avery left work early for the first time ever"..... how could that be? All those other times that TH photographed vehicles for him, he was home, he said she always came between 2 and 3pm IIRC, how could he be home if he never left work early? How could he answer the door in a towel if he was at work all day? I remember reading about Jodi saying if he wasn't working he was out looking for vehicles to buy and fix and resell..... did SA consider this "work"? She also said that he would pick her up and take her to AODA (government alcohol treatment program) on Tuesday's, how could he do that if he 'never left work early'? Which by the way, she was not allowed to do that week. I think this may be a statement (never left early) that was either out of context or being taken too literal. JMO

I was thinking about "Avery left work early for the first time ever"..... how could that be? All those other times that TH photographed vehicles for him, he was home, he said she always came between 2 and 3pm IIRC, how could he be home if he never left work early? How could he answer the door in a towel if he was at work all day? I remember reading about Jodi saying if he wasn't working he was out looking for vehicles to buy and fix and resell..... did SA consider this "work"? She also said that he would pick her up and take her to AODA (government alcohol treatment program) on Tuesday's, how could he do that if he 'never left work early'? Which by the way, she was not allowed to do that week. I think this may be a statement (never left early) that was either out of context or being taken too literal. JMO

Avery gave a regimented work routine to police. He actually admitted to them that it was unusual of him to finish early. I'd have to go through all of the early reports to find his quote.

Yes he did say she normally came to the ASY at the same time. But no one else can verify that, apart from Autotrader and the question might never have been asked. I have no links to share on this.

The towel incident is something I am not sure about. Yes it was a colleague that gave evidence and would not look good for Avery, but the detail is a little Murky and it is not important to the facts of the case.

The calls that were known Avery made that day, included to Jodi's probation officer, but there is no way of knowing if he used someone elses phone for the calls. If he did, then surely that would have been immediate exoneration? "I made calls using my sisters phone to these people." - Easy to check, if he was busy in the hours after he said TH had left his property.

His own testimony, is that he stayed at home after Teresa left, listening to records etc.... Nothing in that, but why not go back to work? If he was somewhere else using someone else's phone to make calls, then he was not at home listening to music. But that very admittance he stayed at home, allows investigators to check his phone records. If he says he is at home yet does not make any calls? Then this surely is not standard behaviour, according to his own narrative.

There are people that think Avery did not tell a single lie. He is innocent. Then, there are people like me who think he lied from his first TV interview, and certainly during his first couple of police interviews. There is a spectrum and I am at one of the extremes. In my opinion, he lied and he murdered TH. So let me ask you this. Did Avery tell no lies whatsoever, or did he tell a few lies? Where on the spectrum would you put yourself, as I have done?

Avery gave a regimented work routine to police. He actually admitted to them that it was unusual of him to finish early. I'd have to go through all of the early reports to find his quote.

Yes he did say she normally came to the ASY at the same time. But no one else can verify that, apart from Autotrader and the question might never have been asked. I have no links to share on this.

The towel incident is something I am not sure about. Yes it was a colleague that gave evidence and would not look good for Avery, but the detail is a little Murky and it is not important to the facts of the case.

The calls that were known Avery made that day, included to Jodi's probation officer, but there is no way of knowing if he used someone elses phone for the calls. If he did, then surely that would have been immediate exoneration? "I made calls using my sisters phone to these people." - Easy to check, if he was busy in the hours after he said TH had left his property.

His own testimony, is that he stayed at home after Teresa left, listening to records etc.... Nothing in that, but why not go back to work? If he was somewhere else using someone else's phone to make calls, then he was not at home listening to music. But that very admittance he stayed at home, allows investigators to check his phone records. If he says he is at home yet does not make any calls? Then this surely is not standard behaviour, according to his own narrative.

There are people that think Avery did not tell a single lie. He is innocent. Then, there are people like me who think he lied from his first TV interview, and certainly during his first couple of police interviews. There is a spectrum and I am at one of the extremes. In my opinion, he lied and he murdered TH. So let me ask you this. Did Avery tell no lies whatsoever, or did he tell a few lies? Where on the spectrum would you put yourself, as I have done?
I think it's very possible he told different stories at first.
I think of his mindset, and his mental/emotional maturity...
This was a man who spent YEARS locked away. This man felt in his gut that he was being set up.
I think it's very possible he didn't take LE seriously at first, perhaps he was a bit scared.. like " omg I need to give them this answer, or that answer. " Again, he knew in his mind he did nothing wrong and perhaps had the mindset " these guys can't be serious" Maybe he didn't expect it would ever, in his wildest dreams, go THIS FAR!!
I sure the hell wouldn't if I were him..

Even if Brendan Dasey isn't guilty what I cant seem to understand is number 1 who murdered this poor lady and number 2 why did brendan make all this stuff up and then go and tell his mother that his uncle steve avery did commit the murder this is all very confusion too me!

Even if Brendan Dasey isn't guilty what I cant seem to understand is number 1 who murdered this poor lady and number 2 why did brendan make all this stuff up and then go and tell his mother that his uncle steve avery did commit the murder this is all very confusion too me!

Welcome Bloggerjoe! :wagon:

It certainly can get confusing, trying to piece together exactly what happened. I think you asked the million dollar question that many would like an answer to, " who murdered this poor lady".

You appear to be just getting started, but are interested enough to come here and post your questions, so I will offer you this link to the case files. You may find many of your questions answered there, as it would be difficult for me to try and explain here, just what happened in Brandon's case. We have discussed it at length throughout this forum/thread, so it would benefit you also, to read here if you would like to learn more.

Here is the site with all the case files:

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/

Where I fall on the spectrum you are proposing is:

I don't know if he lied, or if he was just 'deer in the headlights' freaking out, and made unintentional errors. I would have been rendered mute, were I in his shoes! ( Especially if I HAD just viciously murdered someone! ) I think his composure was remarkable under the circumstances.

Where on earth is it extraordinarily deviant behavior you have listed here ^^ ? He didn't work as late as usual, or make enough phone calls? These are the kind of things that lead me to believe it is mainly Character Assassination that some people are using to reach the conclusion that he must be guilty.

That, and mis-stated "facts"... like claiming the bullet with TH's dna came from Steven Avery's Gun. It came from a 22 rifle, but it could have been ANY 22 rifle. It was never specifically matched to SA's gun and it's a very common caliber in that neck of the woods. People like to throw in that SA never should have had a gun, as further proof that he was a ruthless criminal, willing to break the law like that! In reality it would have been a HUGE leap, from anything SA ever did in jail or out, to a horrific murder.

Here's a question for you; Tell me how, where, and why you think he killed her... Not huge revelations like, "well he said he combed his hair that day, but he really brushed it!"...

Give us some meat to why you think he murdered her. Because we would all starve to death on the crumbs people are currently serving.

Like I said, how could he "never have left work early", knowing what we do know, it doesn't make sense. So if he said that, I guess it was a lie, right? LOL Also, he didn't testify, just to be clear. There are statements, some only written by the officer present, some recorded, I don't have the time to go back and look. Whoever said it, it's just not possible with even the tidbits that I know.

Not only did SA say that she would normally come at that time, I think Dawn from AutoTrader did testify that TH called her (which she didn't) and she was surprised she was still working at that time (2:30pm). But it's Dawn. Not sure we can believe much about her testimony, as you also seem to imply with the "towel" incident. Which I don't think has been disputed really, it was more the meaning or the context of the "towel" incident.

I'm a little confused about your comment about the phone calls he made that day? He did make those calls, to her probation officer and her attorney, they show on his cell phone records. I have no idea if he made other calls from his house phone that day, they weren't introduced into evidence, not even to prove the calls that Jodi made that evening, which I believe were 2 calls, 1 around 5:30 or 6 and another around 9pm. If other calls were made, no idea why Buting/Strang didn't introduce them, I happen to believe that they did make some mistakes or overlooked things, but I also have the advantage of having 1000's of online friends looking at the same documents I am, and they didn't have that advantage, there was only so much they could do. As for him being at home and not making calls.... many many people don't make or receive calls in 2 hour blocks, including other people involved in this case, on that day.

I guess my point is, if he said he "never leaves work early", I just can't believe that with what I know. That was kind of why I was also wondering if him looking for cars to buy/sell was considered "work" for him. I don't know what he gains by telling LE that he never leaves early lol I think this is a good example of why no one should talk to the police without a lawyer.

You think Avery and Dassey lied about everything from the get go. I don't. I think Avery actually lived a very simple life, he didn't have any or a lot of friends, sounded like he went to Mom's for dinner most evenings (maybe since Jodi was in jail?) I think his days were a lot of the same thing over and over again and that makes recalling certain details and what day they happened a blur. As an example.... the deer that Bobby picked up off the highway, that happened on the Friday but I think in one of his early interviews he thought it was the Monday. Did he intentionally lie? or was he not remembering correctly? Saying "I never leave work early", is that a lie or an exaggeration? It's like me saying I have posted about this a million times.... ;-) I don't think I'm at the extreme other end of that spectrum, but definitely on that side, because I'm sure there may be some intentional lies in there Hoosen_Fenger, without going back to his recordings, I can't point any out at the moment.

Where I fall on the spectrum you are proposing is:

I don't know if he lied, or if he was just 'deer in the headlights' freaking out, and made unintentional errors. I would have been rendered mute, were I in his shoes! ( Especially if I HAD just viciously murdered someone! ) I think his composure was remarkable under the circumstances.

Where on earth is it extraordinarily deviant behavior you have listed here ^^ ? He didn't work as late as usual, or make enough phone calls? These are the kind of things that lead me to believe it is mainly Character Assassination that some people are using to reach the conclusion that he must be guilty.

That, and mis-stated "facts"... like claiming the bullet with TH's dna came from Steven Avery's Gun. It came from a 22 rifle, but it could have been ANY 22 rifle. It was never specifically matched to SA's gun and it's a very common caliber in that neck of the woods. People like to throw in that SA never should have had a gun, as further proof that he was a ruthless criminal, willing to break the law like that! In reality it would have been a HUGE leap, from anything SA ever did in jail or out, to a horrific murder.

Here's a question for you; Tell me how, where, and why you think he killed her... Not huge revelations like, "well he said he combed his hair that day, but he really brushed it!"...

Give us some meat to why you think he murdered her. Because we would all starve to death on the crumbs people are currently serving.
Once again my friend..you nailed it😉❤

Like I said, how could he "never have left work early", knowing what we do know, it doesn't make sense. So if he said that, I guess it was a lie, right? LOL Also, he didn't testify, just to be clear. There are statements, some only written by the officer present, some recorded, I don't have the time to go back and look. Whoever said it, it's just not possible with even the tidbits that I know.

Not only did SA say that she would normally come at that time, I think Dawn from AutoTrader did testify that TH called her (which she didn't) and she was surprised she was still working at that time (2:30pm). But it's Dawn. Not sure we can believe much about her testimony, as you also seem to imply with the "towel" incident. Which I don't think has been disputed really, it was more the meaning or the context of the "towel" incident.

I'm a little confused about your comment about the phone calls he made that day? He did make those calls, to her probation officer and her attorney, they show on his cell phone records. I have no idea if he made other calls from his house phone that day, they weren't introduced into evidence, not even to prove the calls that Jodi made that evening, which I believe were 2 calls, 1 around 5:30 or 6 and another around 9pm. If other calls were made, no idea why Buting/Strang didn't introduce them, I happen to believe that they did make some mistakes or overlooked things, but I also have the advantage of having 1000's of online friends looking at the same documents I am, and they didn't have that advantage, there was only so much they could do. As for him being at home and not making calls.... many many people don't make or receive calls in 2 hour blocks, including other people involved in this case, on that day.

I guess my point is, if he said he "never leaves work early", I just can't believe that with what I know. That was kind of why I was also wondering if him looking for cars to buy/sell was considered "work" for him. I don't know what he gains by telling LE that he never leaves early lol I think this is a good example of why no one should talk to the police without a lawyer.

You think Avery and Dassey lied about everything from the get go. I don't. I think Avery actually lived a very simple life, he didn't have any or a lot of friends, sounded like he went to Mom's for dinner most evenings (maybe since Jodi was in jail?) I think his days were a lot of the same thing over and over again and that makes recalling certain details and what day they happened a blur. As an example.... the deer that Bobby picked up off the highway, that happened on the Friday but I think in one of his early interviews he thought it was the Monday. Did he intentionally lie? or was he not remembering correctly? Saying "I never leave work early", is that a lie or an exaggeration? It's like me saying I have posted about this a million times.... ;-) I don't think I'm at the extreme other end of that spectrum, but definitely on that side, because I'm sure there may be some intentional lies in there Hoosen_Fenger, without going back to his recordings, I can't point any out at the moment.
You're explanations are amazing. You put things into perspective in a way that make perfect sense❤
(In a way that I would never be able to)

There are a lot of details which are hard to pin down exactly, because for everyone who was questioned it was an ordinary day. That's why (in my opinion) no one mentioned this alleged bonfire in the earliest interviews. If there was one, and what day it might have been. Or cleaning up a spill in the garage.

Brendan's first recorded interrogation by police show him stating that he didn't see Teresa when he got off the bus from school that day (and this is most likely the case because of the timing when the bus was dropping off would be considerably after Teresa would have been there taking any photos). But his interrogators begin working on him to change his statement, telling him he 'must remember' seeing her because the bus driver and all the other kids say they saw her. Eventually, Brendan repeats the story the way the police want to hear it.

There is no innocent reason for police to be persuading witnesses to lie.

And once police have discovered there is someone they can get to repeat whatever they feed him, police took full advantage of Brendan.

There are a lot of details which are hard to pin down exactly, because for everyone who was questioned it was an ordinary day. That's why (in my opinion) no one mentioned this alleged bonfire in the earliest interviews. If there was one, and what day it might have been. Or cleaning up a spill in the garage.

Brendan's first recorded interrogation by police show him stating that he didn't see Teresa when he got off the bus from school that day (and this is most likely the case because of the timing when the bus was dropping off would be considerably after Teresa would have been there taking any photos). But his interrogators begin working on him to change his statement, telling him he 'must remember' seeing her because the bus driver and all the other kids say they saw her. Eventually, Brendan repeats the story the way the police want to hear it.

There is no innocent reason for police to be persuading witnesses to lie.

And once police have discovered there is someone they can get to repeat whatever they feed him, police took full advantage of Brendan.

bbm

There will always be people who think SA committed this murder. Even if the real killer is (Finally!) brought to justice. (There are still those who believe he is guilty of the rape of Penny B!).

And just as Missy stated up thread, certain things, taken at face value, can make SA look guilty, (although how anyone can read /watch the transcripts/video of Brendan's emotional battering and not experience nausea, vertigo and an intense desire to rip someones throat out, is beyond me!).

But when you start to see the forest through the trees, so to speak, it's covered in deceit by MCSO. Why is there a need for that?

But this is what kills it for me:

In all the years that I have been researching various investigations, I have never, ever seen something as shady as... what ever the hell was going on... between LE, Mike Halbach and Ryan Hillegas.

I've never seen a decent explanation, anywhere, that can explain to me how her brother knew she was dead before she was found, ( But I find it an interesting tie in, to how her plate number was called in before her car was found. (supposedly), and how the ex-boyfriend , who hacked into her personal phone account, was allowed to roam all over ASY, and head up search efforts.... There is just something huge there, that I can't put together...yet, But MCSO needed MH & RH's cooperation for whatever they were trying to pull off.

How do the people who are convinced SA is guilty, just skip right over that? They don't find that "odd" even a little bit? No questions? Don't want to know what they had to do to pin this murder on this guy?

I think she was stopped by a cop and he attempted to rape her and it went bad. He shot her with his ankle gun. He had to get out the mess he was in. The rest was history, burn the body, plant the car on Averys land ( found on the 4th or 5th search within 10 minutes ) plant the bones and bullet, plant the keys. Done !! Avery is heading back to prison and the guilty cop walks away. As far as the kid, people make false confessions all the time. The cops were good when they put him though the ringer. This is my though because it was reported that someone thought for sure they had seen that car pulled over before all this took place.

I think she was stopped by a cop and he attempted to rape her and it went bad. He shot her with his ankle gun. He had to get out the mess he was in. The rest was history, burn the body, plant the car on Averys land ( found on the 4th or 5th search within 10 minutes ) plant the bones and bullet, plant the keys. Done !! Avery is heading back to prison and the guilty cop walks away. As far as the kid, people make false confessions all the time. The cops were good when they put him though the ringer. This is my though because it was reported that someone thought for sure they had seen that car pulled over before all this took place.

This is very plausible, IMO. And , also, :wagon:!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back