Brief but strong storm sweeps through NYC; 1 dead

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Dark Knight, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

2. Loading...

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

This made me realize just how destructive a hurricane would be to NYC, even though they'd at least have more time to evacuate. But the damage would be extreme.

4. daisy7

daisy7 Retired WS Staff

Prayers to the family. This was hurricane-force winds.

I watched a show on tv a year or so ago, that was basically stating that a major hurricane (CAT 3+) would hit NYC eventually and that it would be catastrophic (sorry, don't have a link handy). But, one of the good things to come out of 9/11 is that they now have such a great emergency management system. They had to learn a lot as they responded to 9/11, but they were an excellent student! :)

5. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

New York suffered quite a bit of damage, power outages are still being reported.

A 30-year-old woman was killed in Queens when a tree fell on the car she was driving, the New York Police Department said.
    Surveyors for the National Weather Service will meet with New York authorities later Friday to analyze the storm and determine whether a tornado actually tore through the city, meteorologist Peter Wichrowski said.

It is possible, according to CNN meteorologist Sean Morris, that a few brief tornadoes could have formed, touched down and rapidly dissipated within the line of severe thunderstorms.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/17/new.york.storm/index.html

6. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

Well I haven't heard much from any New Yorkers, maybe they don't have any electricity, I just hope everyone is o.k. I heard there was a tornado in Ohio also. Didn't hear anything about injuries or deaths, hope everyone's o.k. there also.

7. mitzi

mitzi Watch us lie to cover for 'Princess'

I read that the woman who was killed had just switched seats with her husband. He survived. Weird, huh!