FL Broward County, WhtMale, 35-45, Smoker, Acne Scars, Beaded Necklace, Gold Ring- May 30, 1967

PatLaurel

Reaction score

1182UMFL - Unidentified Male

Ring - side view
Ring inscription
Ring - front view
Ring overview

Victim's ring

Date of Discovery: May 30, 1967
Location of Discovery: Broward County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
State of Remains: Unknown
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description​

Estimated Age: 35-45 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 165-185 lbs.
Hair Color: Dark brown, curly.
Eye Color: eye color here
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Large acne scars on his face. Smoker.

Identifiers​

Dentals: Unknown. Teeth were in very poor condition.
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Iridescent blue and gold long-sleeved button down Van Heusen collared-shirt (size medium), white Bermuda shorts, black Jockey bikini briefs (size 32-36), black socks, and black Thom McCann loafers.
Jewelry: Beaded necklace. Gold ring.
Additional Personal Items: Salem cigarettes. A door key from McCrory’s 5 & 10 Cent was in his pocket.

Circumstances of Discovery​

The victim was hidden in a drainage canal culvert near Griffin Road and U.S. 27 in unincorporated Broward County in the Florida Everglades.

Detectives received a tip that the man may have been known as "Tommy Terrific" and that he had an arrest history in Michigan that once landed him in the federal penitentiary.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: Broward County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Crime Stoppers
Agency Phone Number: 954-493-TIPS (8477) or Toll-Free 866-493-TIPS (8477)
Agency Case Number: BS67-05-2280

NCIC Case Number: N/A
NamUs Case Number: Not listed

Information Source(s)​

Broward County Sheriff's Office

PayrollNerd

Reaction score
The key is interesting and makes me think it might have been sentimental. The McCrory's stores don't seem to have been in FL or MI from what I see on the Wikipedia notes.

A door key from McCrory’s 5 & 10 Cent was in his pocket.

KDiz24

Reaction score
The key is interesting and makes me think it might have been sentimental. The McCrory's stores don't seem to have been in FL or MI from what I see on the Wikipedia notes.

Under the Founding section:

“In 1899, Kresge traded his interest in the McCrory's Memphis, Tennesseestore for McCrory's interest in the Detroit, Michigan, store, giving him control there.”

PatLaurel

Reaction score

There were several McCrory's in Florida in the 60s. One of the stores was located at 219 S Andrews Ave in Fort Lauderdale.
McCrory's Dept Store - Newspapers.com
219 S Andrews Ave- McCrory's - Newspapers.com
Clipping from South Florida Sun Sentinel - Newspapers.com

PayrollNerd

Reaction score
I'm glad you guys found more info on the FL McCrory stores. So if he had a key, then the store manager, or other employees, should have known this guys real name. Even if they did not have a decent photo of him. If an employee left with a store key, wouldn't the store manager have an idea of who took it, didn't turn it back in, etc?

PatLaurel

Reaction score
I'm glad you guys found more info on the FL McCrory stores. So if he had a key, then the store manager, or other employees, should have known this guys real name. Even if they did not have a decent photo of him. If an employee left with a store key, wouldn't the store manager have an idea of who took it, didn't turn it back in, etc?
I don't think it was a store key. Since they had a Key Department and made spare keys, it was probably the maker's logo. Or maybe they had their own key brand too. MOO JMO

Here is an example of a "McCrory's key". Although they state the key "was used on a McCrory's Store",i believe it's just a duplicate key to the Yale padlock. I just don't see anyone engraving a key with the location it belongs too. MOO JMO
But it could also be a padlock used at McCrory's and they made a spare key there. MOO JMO
Vintage, McCrory's Five and Dime Store Yale Padlock Brass, Working Lock with Key | #1814761666

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 12.39.44.png
MOO JMO

PatLaurel

Reaction score
Apparently this John Doe was found handless and 5 bullets were recovered from the body.

John Doe Broward County Memorial Day 1967 - Newspapers.com

The ring and key were found later when LE drained the culvert that had contained the body.

A brown briefcase was found a mile from where the body was discovered.

PatLaurel

Reaction score
The ring, key, black bikini briefs, iridescent shirt, the teeth in poor condition, date and location found, everything matches our John Doe. But I still haven't been able to find any mention to the white bermuda shorts, the loafers and the beaded necklace nor that he was a smoker or had large acne scars.
It would also be good if there were photos of his clothing and personal items.

MOO JMO

WendyTX

Reaction score
Hi! Brand new, but I love a good search. I decided to tackle that ring (because a 1 carat diamond ring seemed pretty fancy).

I believe R.G.P. refers to rolled gold plate (a specific method of gold plating), so the ring is likely plated in 14K gold and not solid gold. I also suspect it is NOT a 1 carat diamond ... ESPO is the jeweler mark for Esposito Jewelry, which was founded in 1911 and made costume jewelry. They have a FB page, and I sent a note to the page asking for information about the other markings. However, I am not optimistic: I believe Joseph Esposito (who is the most recent Esposito) was charged in 2017 with operating a drug ring. So, um ... we'll see.

PatLaurel

Reaction score
Hi! Brand new, but I love a good search. I decided to tackle that ring (because a 1 carat diamond ring seemed pretty fancy).

I believe R.G.P. refers to rolled gold plate (a specific method of gold plating), so the ring is likely plated in 14K gold and not solid gold. I also suspect it is NOT a 1 carat diamond ... ESPO is the jeweler mark for Esposito Jewelry, which was founded in 1911 and made costume jewelry. They have a FB page, and I sent a note to the page asking for information about the other markings. However, I am not optimistic: I believe Joseph Esposito (who is the most recent Esposito) was charged in 2017 with operating a drug ring. So, um ... we'll see.
Welcome to WS, @WendyTX! And thanks for taking the time to comment here.
The ring led the detectives nowhere, according to newspaper articles, but i would like to know what the "17100" means. Especially because i don't see it between V.I.C.G and 14K as stated in the article.
Let us know if you hear back from them.

MOO JMO

PatLaurel

Reaction score
The ring and key were found later when LE drained the culvert that had contained the body.
Quoting myself for correction: The housekey was found in his pocket. And also a dime.

Broward County John Doe 1967 - Newspapers.com

The ring, key, black bikini briefs, iridescent shirt, the teeth in poor condition, date and location found, everything matches our John Doe. But I still haven't been able to find any mention to the white bermuda shorts, the loafers and the beaded necklace nor that he was a smoker or had large acne scars.
It would also be good if there were photos of his clothing and personal items.

MOO JMO
BBM
Still no beaded necklace, cigarettes nor large acne scars.
"He was 35-45 years old and had dark brown curly or wavy hair and bad teeth, Norris said. The man was wearing walking shorts, an expensive long-sleeved shirt, loafers and black bikini underpants in his pockets were a dime and a housekey. A diamond ring was found in the culvert where the body was found It contained the inscription “RGP Espo” 'and deputies are writing to jewelry manufacturers to try to find out who bought the ring."

MOO JMO