Brown lawn means jail time

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by mysteriew, Oct 21, 2008.

1. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

His sprinkler system broke, his mortgage payment jumped by $600 dollars, he daughter and her two children moved back in with him and his wife. He says he was more concerned about keeping his home than his lawn turning brown.

The homeowners ass. took him to court and he was ordered to resod his home. He didn't. So he ended up back in court and the judge ordered him jailed for contempt.

Off he went to an already overcrowded jail.
    http://tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article847365.ece

2. Loading...

3. LinetteH

LinetteH Loving life in Colorado

Wow--just wow!!!!! Our justice system at work!

4. EmMomma

EmMomma Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

WOW.
    Sounds like the Army, only 100x worse...
    Meh, forget the child molesters...
    THAT DUDE has brown grass!!!
    Unbelievable.
    :furious:

5. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

This is disgusting, and more like communist China than America. The ass.ociation should have a fund set up and volunteers to help people who are having big problems instead of being so high fallutin and snooty. They should all be ashamed. They'd never have made it back in the old days when people raised barns together and actually helped one another.

6. TinaD

TinaD New Member

Wow!! Over here, our water restrictions are such that we are not allowed to water lawns. A lush green lawn would probalby bring the water inspectors down on your head!

7. BeavisMom62

BeavisMom62 No, Butthead is NOT here!!

Isn't that the truth, Tina! Are you in Melbourne, FL or Australia? I'm in Melbourne, FL and I know that is the truth about watering restrictions. Its a sad, sad, story. He really should have had someone just help him. The cost of sod is outrageous. I just have a question. This apparently happened in Tampa, which is on the West coast of FL. I'm on the East coast and we have had lots of rain, no need to water your lawn. I guess their weather is that different over there?

8. tntsparty

tntsparty New Member

That's the problem with homeowner's associations - that is rediculous that in times of drought and the way the economy is they should get off their high horses and overlook a little brown lawn. Trust me there are PLENTY of yards around here in south east Florida that look that way. But I must say that if he wouldn't have just ignored the court orders - maybe if he would have talked to the court about his situation things might have turned out different.

What would have been nice is if some of his neighbors or other locals would have helped pitch in and get it taken care of before it got so bad - like maybe if the sprinklers could have gotten fixed.

9. becca

becca New Member

this happened right here in my county. Pretty sad, but someone re sodded his lawn while he was "doing his time". NEVER buy property in a deed restricted subdivision. this is what they do, some are even taking the house for the unpaid "dues".

10. miss u daddy

miss u daddy Barack the Vote!

And this is why I didn't buy a house in an association!

11. TinaD

TinaD New Member

Hi BeavisMom, I'm in Australia and we're in the middle of the worst drought we've ever had. This coming smmer isn't looking good from a water point of view,