Aug is Utah Cold Case month and the Utah Cold Case Coalition is featuring Rosie Tapia's case
Click on Rosie Tapia's Thread and help Websleuths find Rosie's killer

Brush used to test the fingerprints on the bread knife questioned????

Discussion in 'Darlie Routier' started by JenniferTx, Mar 29, 2018.

1. JenniferTx

JenniferTx www.tristatrace.wordpress .com

Hello all-

I have followed Darlies case for several years and in all of these years I have never heard anything about the brush that was used in dusting the bread knife for fingerprints. I found this video last night and was wondering everyone's opinion on what is said at the 26:45 minute mark. https://youtu.be/wPwHawRkilI

2. Loading...

3. cami

cami Keep your fork......

Both the prosecution and the defense questioned Linch regarding the possibility that the fibers on the bread knife were actually from Charles Hamilton’s fingerprint brush.
    Davis: Fingerprint brushes, are they also made of fiberglass?
    Linch: Yes, they are.
    Davis: Did you obtain a fiberglass brush from Rowlett?
    Linch: Yes, from Officer Hamilton.
    Davis: Alright, did you compare the fiberglass that made up his fingerprint brush with the fiberglass that you found on the knife blade and screen also?
    Linch: Yes, I did. The fiberglass rods that make up these fingerprint brushes are much bigger than the rods that make up the screen. So they are very, very different.
    (Charles Linch, Sec. 3038-3039)

4. Balthazar

Balthazar Active Member

JenniferTx, I've been following this case since it began. As I understood this issue - which was brought up on the most recent show about Darlie's case, the same fingerprint brush was used first on the window sill where the cut screen was and then later on the knife block where the bread knife was located, so there is apparently some question of cross-contamination where the brush may have picked up a bit of the cut window screen from the sill and then transferred that bit of the screen to the bread knife. IF this is what happened, that means the bread knife may not have been used to cut the screen. In and of itself, this proves nothing either way except that the crime scene investigator inadvertently contaminated the evidence but then, there are crime scene photographs that prove that happened - such as the bloody knife being moved during the police crime scene photo shoot.