Bulgaria - Lars Mittank, 28, German tourist, Varna airport, 8 July 2014

In the case of the organ trafficking ring theory, it does make me wonder if it's possible that the medication the doctor gave him was not the antibiotic Lars was told it was, but some other drug that caused paranoid, psychotic behavior.

Unless of course he wasn't psychotic, but acting out of legitimate fear if he realized he had been targeted for nefarious reasons.

Lots of potential for trouble and miscommunication, imo..
https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=17096
Bulgaria 2015 Crime and Safety Report
rbbm.
Document fraud is a challenge and impacts OSAC constituents when hiring and conducting due diligence. The most targeted documents are university diplomas, electronic payment documents, and identification documents. According to U.S. law enforcement, genuine blank Bulgarian passports, including biometric data customized to specification, can be found on the black market for 250 Euros. These are primarily used to gain access to the European Union. Authorities disrupted a major document fraud ring in August 2014, seizing 10,000 components used to make fake Syrian passports destined for Turkey.

Tips on How to Avoid Becoming a Victim

Scams

Organized crime groups exert a strong influence in some bars/nightclubs and control a great deal of the prostitution business. Special attention should be paid to the drink prices at high-end bars and nightclubs. There have been instances of visitors charged exorbitant prices. Bills have been as high as several hundred dollars for drinks, and in some establishments, the management may use force to secure payment.
Situational Awareness Best Practices

Maintain a low profile; dress down; use alcohol sparingly; and avoid disputes. When using public transportation or transiting via crowded markets, shopping streets, malls, etc. be particularly wary of pickpockets. Pickpocketing is often preceded by a diversion in the form of an argument or fight.

There is hope, check this out- a young guy went missing from Canada 5 years ago, and has just been located in Brazil, wandering along the highway!
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?329051-Anton-Pilipa-missing-5-years-found-wandering-on-Brazilian-highway&p=13126406#post13126406
Anton Pilipa, missing 5 years, found wandering on Brazilian highway

Here i was thinking that the Canadian man recently who was identified looked like Lars, but he actually is the " homeless " man that they were trying to match with Lars!
Lars is also referenced in this article, scroll down.
http://www.missingpersonsofamerica....n-brazil-social-media-trying-to-identify-him/

I believe the homeless man they tried to match was from the UK and this article refers to a Canadian. Those are two different people.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk

I believe the homeless man they tried to match was from the UK and this article refers to a Canadian. Those are two different people.

Right. It says that in the top half of article. Just crazy that he ended up in Brazil from Canada. Just makes you wonder - is it because of being mentally ill or disoriented, or did they want to escape their lives? Did they not want to check tickets on airlines? This doesn't rule out Brian Shaffer living somewhere else if this man did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right. It says that in the top half of article. Just crazy that he ended up in Brazil from Canada. Just makes you wonder - is it because of being mentally ill or disoriented, or did they want to escape their lives? Did they not want to check tickets on airlines? This doesn't rule out Brian Shaffer living somewhere else if this man did.

There is another thread on this guy. Apparently he walked/hitchhiked? through the US and other countries.

There is another thread on this guy. Apparently he walked/hitchhiked? through the US and other countries.

Did he hitchhike a boat to Brazil? Hahaha. Jk. I just am surprised families couldn't get access to him getting on a plane. Unless changed his name prior?

Did he hitchhike a boat to Brazil? Hahaha. Jk. I just am surprised families couldn't get access to him getting on a plane. Unless changed his name prior?

He didnt go on a plane. He walked through countries.

http://www.missingpersonsofamerica....n-brazil-social-media-trying-to-identify-him/
brazilman4.jpg
Sally Fowler was able to get a few more photos of the Brazilian man while attempting to check if the man was her son.

Lesley posted that she found out that the man was in Hospital de Base Ari Pinheiro in Porto Velho City, Rondonia Brasil and had no papers, so no one knew who he was. Many were thinking he was Lars Mittank from Germany. Upon checking today I found that he was ruled out as being Lars because the blood type and eye color did not match.

Hoping that the attention Anton is receiving in the press right now, will help bring eyes and ears to missing Lar's case too.
Who knows, maybe he is hanging around some sports fields somewhere, perhaps overlooked as a street-person?
Anton was trying to get to a library in Argentina.
speculation, imo.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?329051-Anton-Pilipa-missing-5-years-found-wandering-on-Brazilian-highway
[h=2]Anton Pilipa, missing 5 years, found wandering on Brazilian highway[/h]

Hello all :) I was drawn to this case because I think Lars is from my home town, or at least from the region.

Unbelievable that he hasn't been found yet but I'm glad his mother is not giving up and is keeping the facebook page updated.

https://www.facebook.com/findetlarsmittank/?fref=nf

I've sent them a link to this thread.

In this video, it states that according to people outside the airport, Lars climbed over a fence and ran off into the woods. It starts at about 8:43.

An interesting comment made by a BH 5 months ago. States she / he is Bulgarian and followed it on the news, that his mother hired private detectives, and that the Golden Sands where Lars and his friends stayed is known for drugs, including registered cases of drugs in drinks. Wish I could back this up with something from MSM, I did find a news video but it's in Bulgarian or German and I have no idea what they're saying. :/

-- had to delete video link from quoted post bc only one video per post is allowed ---

bbm - Do you still have the link to this other news video? If it's in German I can understand it. Although I guess we probably know everything already (unless it's a very recent report).

Although this video is not in English, it is still comprehensible through the visuals, and of course Lar's mom anguish is understandable in any language. imo.

[video=youtube;OxikJx1vPJ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxikJx1vPJ4[/video]

This is a very touching video. His poor mom! I feel so bad for her.

What stood out to me were

- the airport worker that came into the doctor's office and (according to the doctor who was interviewed) seemed to have spooked Lars. Lars looked at the man and simply ran off. Paranoid?

- the antibiotics given to him a day earlier are known for sometimes having side effects such as confusion and paranoia. I'm wondering whether he had a drink or took drugs that evening as well and that's what started the whole paranoid behaviour, or increased the side effects? His mother says that in one of the last phone calls Lars kept saying that he didn't feel confortable in that hotel but didn't explain what exactly felt wrong to him, which could also point to paranoia imo. Although, if his behaviour was due to the medication and/or drugs, shouldn't the effect have worn off after a while and he would have become clear headed again?

According to Wikipedia, organized crime is quite prevalent in Bulgaria. I wonder if Lars got on the wrong side of the wrong people. Do we know if the guys he got in a fight with were ever found and questioned? I don't remember reading anything about that.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgarian_mafia

Also, here it states that Bulgaria is a gateway country for the transit of illicit drugs.
And Varna is one of the entry points used for controlled substances.
ATM skimming and credit card fraud are also a big problem in Bulgaria.
https://photos.state.gov/libraries/bulgaria/231771/PDFs/Bulgaria 2015 Crime and Safety Report_1_.pdf

bbm - in the video above they are referred to as "unknown assailants".

I'm very worried for this young man! I hope they get a lead soon. Lars needs to come home!

Hello all :) I was drawn to this case because I think Lars is from my home town, or at least from the region.

Unbelievable that he hasn't been found yet but I'm glad his mother is not giving up and is keeping the facebook page updated.

bbm - Do you still have the link to this other news video? If it's in German I can understand it. Although I guess we probably know everything already (unless it's a very recent report).

- the airport worker that came into the doctor's office and (according to the doctor who was interviewed) seemed to have spooked Lars. Lars looked at the man and simply ran off. Paranoid?

- the antibiotics given to him a day earlier are known for sometimes having side effects such as confusion and paranoia. I'm wondering whether he had a drink or took drugs that evening as well and that's what started the whole paranoid behaviour, or increased the side effects? His mother says that in one of the last phone calls Lars kept saying that he didn't feel confortable in that hotel but didn't explain what exactly felt wrong to him, which could also point to paranoia imo. Although, if his behaviour was due to the medication and/or drugs, shouldn't the effect have worn off after a while and he would have become clear headed again?

I'm very worried for this young man! I hope they get a lead soon. Lars needs to come home!

I'm not sure now which one it was. Possibly this one? Thank you, please tell us what they're saying! :seeya:

[video=youtube;yoDfn4Mvilo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoDfn4Mvilo&t=9s[/video]

And another: And thank you so much if you can interpret for us what they're saying! :wave:

[video=youtube;FsWCX3Zqmgw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsWCX3Zqmgw&t=1s[/video]

That is actually a bizarre idea for an antibiotic to cause such side effects, from my experience in the medical field. Also, from my research on that particular antibiotic, it would not cause side effects such as paranoia or psychosis. I can honestly say I have never heard of an antibiotic causing such side effects as this. And, although I also have a background in psychology , I am not licensed, so it's only my educated opinion, not a professional one. So, if he was experiencing such effects from any drug it would have to be from some other drug. IMO.

Some possibilities:

If the Dr. was in the organ trafficking business, and gave him something claiming it was an antibiotic, but instead it was something else to cause psychosis, paranoia, and hallucinations.
If someone in the hotel drugged him while he was there.
If he had been given drugs beforehand, but it's strange they would have such a prolonged effect.
If he was voluntarily taking drugs himself.
If, he had a mental breakdown, associated with Schizophrenia not previously diagnosed. Which, btw, I find hard to believe if he had never exhibited pre-existing signs of Schizophrenia.

All JMO. I would give anything if we had more information.

FYI: I am a retired RN and only have a bachelors in psychology. Just to let you know I'm not promoting myself as a professional in any way, this is all only my opinon.

If the Dr. was in the organ trafficking business, and gave him something claiming it was an antibiotic, but instead it was something else to cause psychosis, paranoia, and hallucinations.
If someone in the hotel drugged him while he was there.
If he had been given drugs beforehand, but it's strange they would have such a prolonged effect.
But why would they let him go to the airport?

The dr. on the airport was - as ar as I understand - another dr., not the same one who gave him "antibiotics".

But why would they let him go to the airport?

The dr. on the airport was - as ar as I understand - another dr., not the same one who gave him "antibiotics".

I know, I have read conflicting information, I have read where he saw the same doctor at the airport. And I have read where he had seen two separate doctors. Do you know? I would like clarification if he saw one or two different doctors, it's confusing at this point. And, my theories are just theories and points to ponder.
And thank you for your input and for keeping Lars' case in the light. :wave:

Neesaki, many thanks for the video links. I don't have time right now to watch the first one (22 min) but I watched the second one and there are a few snippets of info we hadn't heard yet.

One of them is that they are pretty sure that he was under the influence of a drug when arriving at the airport. They believe this because the woman who gave him a lift when he was walking through the city that night said that his pupils were very dilated. They think that this might also explain why he ran off when the airport worker entered the doctor's office at the airport. That worker had a work uniform on, and they think that Lars thought this is someone official and he'll get into trouble because of the drugs. The doctor described Lars as tense and nervous, he was constantly rubbing his hands and said that he didn't want to be treated for his ear (which was painful). He also refused the medication they offered him. His mother describes him as "panicked" in his phone calls when he was still at the hotel. Something definitely happened at that hotel.

It seems Lars was either drugged and was aware of it and was struggling to keep it together, or he took drugs voluntarily and was scared of someone. jmo

Btw, the airport doctor, who you can see in the video, looks like an honest person to me. also jmo

So, neesaki, you are very probably right saying that he might have some adverse effects from a drug other than the antibiotic, and I might have misunderstood the video I listened to before (I will go back and listen to it again).

They had a PI working this case not long after Lars disappeared. The PI's name is Andreas Gütig, the name is also in the email at the top of the fb page.

The Pi sent another PI to the hotel undercover, posing as a German tourist. He spoke the local language as well but kept that a secret so he could eavesdrop on conversations of the staff and others without them suspecting that he understood them. The only thing he found out was that they were selling weed. Otherwise nothing happened or stood out to him.

I will write more tomorrow.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson