Burke Ramsey Files 750 Million Dollar Lawsuit Against CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.
But how would an 8 yr old boy create injuries which were like a fall from a 3 story building?

He was almost ten and a three story fall would be worse. Imagine a large cube of ground driving around like a bus. A 10 ft fall is equivalent to being hit by that piece of ground at about 18 mph. Now, many people might well survive the equivalent of being hit by a bus at 18 mph, but many won't. A 30 ft fall puts the bus at around 36 mph, which is almost invariably fatal.

My mom treated someone who fell 3 stories. He had shattered the hips, femurs, several of his vertebrae, and his ribs. His mouth filled with blood as well. A rib punctured a lung as well. And this was an adult.

It's not hard to picture a boy almost ten putting a hole in her skull with flashlight or base of a trophy. Whatever it was, BR towered over her and wasn't puny then.

Thats not true. Burke participated in a segment with JR (I believe it was 20/20) earlier this year.

So Hunter exonerated Burke knowing full well the Grand Jury was investigating him. What was the conclusion of the Grand Jury LW?

Call Mary Lacy as a witness then. First question; "Did you even read the case file?"

Might want to talk to your client again about that one.

Um, no they did not.

Consented so long as the interviews were done separately and that they were provided with all previous statements.

Ask Cina Wong about that.

The first thing John told police was that it was secure.

Like what?

It was JARs rope. Even I know that LW.

Lets ask Fleet White about that.

She had no burn marks at all. Those were abrasions.

Smit told Steve Thomas his intruder theory the day he showed up for work. You can't draw conclusions without reading the case file.

Chief Kolar and the grand Jury seem to think he was a suspect.

Interesting that is what they chose to remove. Wonder if that statement is accurate.

The fact that they actually played the enhanced version is new. I've never heard it. Yes it is old evidence, but it was new to the general public.

New evidence: Enhanced 911 call
New Witnesses: 911 operator
New Theory: That Burke did it.

Anyway, that is just the first 35 pages. If anyone else wants to continue...

andreww,
New Witness : Burke Ramsey, never seen on public TV answering questions.

New Witness: Fleet White, private interview.

Looks like part three proceeded by elimination, till only Burke Ramsey was left standing?

Legally they must have stepped over the line since it was never broadcast. LW patently communicated publish that and I'll sue.

So CBS must have had legal eyes all over the script and had it cleared for publishing?

Otherwise it's a setup as some people think, a means to get the R's into court, win the case then do a mega production deal for another JonBenet Special?

A clever man deciding upon playing Russian Roulette might first check that all chambers are empty.

It strikes me Wood has just put a loaded gun to his head and would have Burke as collateral damage to boot !!

Ego is often the undoing of those too clever by half.

Will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

A clever man deciding upon playing Russian Roulette might first check that all chambers are empty.

It strikes me Wood has just put a loaded gun to his head and would have Burke as collateral damage to boot !!

Welcome, kaptkangaroo. I like how you think!

Welcome! That's what I think too!

They will lie on the stand. I'd love to see them questioned too, but does anyone REALLY think they will tell the truth this late in the game with all the other lies they've told? What would be different? Perjury? please, they don't care. They have their own truths and will not deviate, we can only hope BR gets scrambled and lets things slip like he did on DP show.

They will LIE or Plead the 5th..anything to not hurt themselves. I hope CBS does take it all the way to the court room !! DONT SETTLE CBS !!!!!

JonBenét Ramsey’s Brother Sues CBS for ‘Extraordinary’ $750 Million Over Docuseries

Some input from a couple of attorneys... (excerpts)

Asking for $750 million in a defamation suit is not that uncommon, since damage to one’s reputation is hard to quantify, according to Delaware Law School Dean Rod Smolla.

Smolla, who is unconnected to the case, tells PEOPLE the immense figure “is more of a symbolic statement than a realistic expectation.”

But Michigan attorney Aaron Larson, who is also unconnected to the case, calls the damages figure “extraordinary.” He says it is “the sort of damages claim most commonly associated with an effort to generate attention and publicity.”

He explains that “in many defamation cases, a plaintiff will be concerned about attracting attention to the allegedly false accusations by filing a lawsuit. [But] in some cases, having additional media attention can be beneficial, by bringing additional attention to any retraction, apology or settlement … or to what they anticipate to be a favorable jury verdict.”

Smolla doubts the figure sought will factor into how the case is resolved.

“What will matter is what is revealed during the discovery process,” he tells PEOPLE. “Burke Ramsey has to prove the story [presented by CBS] is false, so the burden of proof is on him to show that he did not murder his sister, and that’s not impossible.

“He can assemble his evidence, and a jury could find it believable. He just has to show that CBS was negligent in asserting he was involved. He will have to demonstrate people who viewed that show came away with the impression that he was the one who did it.”

JonBenét Ramsey’s Brother Sues CBS for ‘Extraordinary’ $750 Million Over Docuseries

Some input from a couple of attorneys... (excerpts)

Asking for $750 million in a defamation suit is not that uncommon, since damage to one’s reputation is hard to quantify, according to Delaware Law School Dean Rod Smolla.

Smolla, who is unconnected to the case, tells PEOPLE the immense figure “is more of a symbolic statement than a realistic expectation.”

But Michigan attorney Aaron Larson, who is also unconnected to the case, calls the damages figure “extraordinary.” He says it is “the sort of damages claim most commonly associated with an effort to generate attention and publicity.”

He explains that “in many defamation cases, a plaintiff will be concerned about attracting attention to the allegedly false accusations by filing a lawsuit. [But] in some cases, having additional media attention can be beneficial, by bringing additional attention to any retraction, apology or settlement … or to what they anticipate to be a favorable jury verdict.”

Smolla doubts the figure sought will factor into how the case is resolved.

“What will matter is what is revealed during the discovery process,” he tells PEOPLE. “Burke Ramsey has to prove the story [presented by CBS] is false, so the burden of proof is on him to show that he did not murder his sister, and that’s not impossible.

“He can assemble his evidence, and a jury could find it believable. He just has to show that CBS was negligent in asserting he was involved. He will have to demonstrate people who viewed that show came away with the impression that he was the one who did it.”

kanzz,
BBM: That amounts to all the rehashed stuff in the filed papers. LW has to prove there was an intruder!

No possibility of an intruder means the case is RDI, and by elimination BDI, backed up by the referenced person in the GJ indictment.

No intruder is central to Kolar's book and is partially backed up by the new dna analysis.

I reckon LW would settle for a public apology and his fees, he has a very weak case.

They will LIE or Plead the 5th..anything to not hurt themselves. I hope CBS does take it all the way to the court room !! DONT SETTLE CBS !!!!!

But here is the thing, if you want a jury to give you a lot of money for being a victim of a big, bad news agency, you can't plead the 5th. If you lie, you'd better be convincing. Because in order to persuade a jury to award you a large judgement you have to come across as open, honest, and a completely innocent victim whose life and good reputation have been turned upside down by the defendant's intentional lies.

I think it worth keeping in mind that no jury has ever awarded the Ramseys a single penny. And I agree, hopefully CBS prepares well and doesn't offer them anything.

He was asked to participate in the process and decided instead to go with a propaganda vehicle of his own. A public figure, he willingly went on other programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If JR doesn't want his son's reputation tarnished, he is to blame because of his 20yrs worth of lies. He should just come clean.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

WOW - I love it - let BR explain how he accidentally hit JBR w/ a golf club on accident years before.
Also, let JR & BR explain the prominent bruises visible at her pageants.

He was a month off turning 10, not 8.

Have you ever read about the James Bulger case? Children can cause horrific (intentional) injuries to other children.

Especially older brothers to their little sisters. I am speaking from experience. My brother threw a full sized brick at my head!

He was asked to participate in the process and decided instead to go with a propaganda vehicle of his own. A public figure, he willingly went on other programs.

Yes, and he did so in advance of the CBS program rather than in response to it. Would that not be less beneficial for him and more of a benefit to the defendants in this case?

I'm also wondering how the defense might be able to use the Phil show to somehow demonstrate that Burke damaged his own reputation more on the Phil show than the CBS program did.

By the way, good to see you again, Sparko96. I've missed your input.

Cheers
I was actually on this list many many many years ago and somehow fell off.
The recent interest in the case ( apart from ours of course ) rekindled my intrigue. From time to time I've had discussions with people on this subject and when ever asked about my views as to who did it my response has always been follow the logic. Of course the logic is muddied by events, it's further obfuscated by the interests of various parties but to borrow upon Conan Doyle who offered via his messenger Holmes that 'when the probable is exhausted then look to the improbable" then I would counter that when you clear away the improbable then it is often the PROBABLE that holds the answer. For mine there has only ever been one true and likely offender. After the actual incident a number of parties for varying and most likely differing reasons colluded to deny natural justice, something Jon Benet should at the very least be afforded.

I sense though that this house of cards is about to fall. Some need just a little more rope though......

kanzz,
BBM: That amounts to all the rehashed stuff in the filed papers. LW has to prove there was an intruder!

No possibility of an intruder means the case is RDI, and by elimination BDI, backed up by the referenced person in the GJ indictment.

No intruder is central to Kolar's book and is partially backed up by the new dna analysis.

I reckon LW would settle for a public apology and his fees, he has a very weak case.

I see it differently. Burke does not have to prove his innocence because if he is innocent, how do you prove it? You can't prove a negative as the saying goes. What he does have to show is that there is no meaningful evidence that would give the producers cause to believe he is guilty. They also need to prove that the involved parties knew there was no evidence and conspired to create a scenario pointing at Burke.

The case against Burke is weak at best. I think we can all say that one of the Ramseys did this, but narrowing it down farther than that requires a ton of speculation. So I think Woods case is stronger than you think.

Lastly, for Wood & Co this case has simply become a profit centre. Why the DP interview? Because the want people interested in the case. Interest means stories and stories mean lawsuits. Burke is simply the new Patsy. He's the bait that will continue to bring income for years to come.

WOW - I love it - let BR explain how he accidentally hit JBR w/ a golf club on accident years before.
Also, let JR & BR explain the prominent bruises visible at her pageants.

Accident and horseplay. Prove him wrong. It's not as simple as you think.

I see it differently. Burke does not have to prove his innocence because if he is innocent, how do you prove it? You can't prove a negative as the saying goes. What he does have to show is that there is no meaningful evidence that would give the producers cause to believe he is guilty. They also need to prove that the involved parties knew there was no evidence and conspired to create a scenario pointing at Burke.

The case against Burke is weak at best. I think we can all say that one of the Ramseys did this, but narrowing it down farther than that requires a ton of speculation. So I think Woods case is stronger than you think.

Lastly, for Wood & Co this case has simply become a profit centre. Why the DP interview? Because the want people interested in the case. Interest means stories and stories mean lawsuits. Burke is simply the new Patsy. He's the bait that will continue to bring income for years to come.

Burke doesn't have to prove he's innocent but he does need to prove that CBS intentionally lied with intent to harm him. And further, as a consequence of these lies, he suffered tangible harm to his otherwise good reputation within the community.

We can't overlook the First Amendment here. Or the fact that the defense will be able to show that thousands of online posters, websites, and national publications, including those previously sued, have been naming Burke a viable suspect for many years. So this is not something those who know him personally haven't heard before. But he doesn't even get to this point if he can't get around the First Amendment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member