Burlington NJ school praising President Obama

And hello to you, too.

No, FNC didn't make the video. But the video isn't the problem. The cynical incitement of public hysteria over non-issues like this song is the problem. And while FNC didn't invent cynicism or demagoguery, it has made them an art form. There's a lot more "sidetracking" happening there than in response to my occasional post.

I'm all for viewing propaganda with a critical eye and I have no problem with people critiquing this song.

But the overreaction is so out of proportion to the song's actual impact, I doubt critical reasoning is the cause.

And hello to you Nova.

The video is the problem. What hysteria? No one said get hysterical. FNC is one channel, the rest lean the other way.

I don't see overreaction to the song. What I see are people paying attention to several things that point in one direction.......manipulation, propaganda--call it what you will. This is not the first thing that has dealt with children and school smelling of propaganda, it is just the latest.

Personally, when I see a trend like this- I think it would be a disservice not to call attention to it. Now people are aware of it. So you and I agree that a critical eye is needed.

I think this is blown way out of proportion. If you google "president lesson plans" or "Obama lesson plans" or "Bush lesson plans," you will get similar things. Elementary-aged students learning about anything -- including social studies -- will learn these little songs and chants.

I agree with the poster who said everyone needs to turn off Fox News for awhile. Talk about indoctrination...

I think the whole country needs to turn off Fox News for awhile. And that goes double for the other media members who seem to get their journalism educations from FNC talking heads.

I find songs like this idiotic--and did when I was in grade school.

But they don't do any harm and they weren't even controversial in my day.

A badly written anthem here and there does not a Hitler Youth program make.

Yeah - I am just missing how this is harmful or scary or nefarious in any way.

During the last presidential election, our elementary school let the kids have their own election and vote for who they wanted to be President and they announced the results. The kids loved it and learned a lot! I think it is terrific to involve kids in our peaceful transfer of power and to encourage them to respect and even praise our President.

When Barack won, my son's Kindergarden class all colored a picture of him and hung them up outside the room. Other classes did similar things. They discussed the historic significance of his victory.

I think it is cool for kids to be exposed to our President and his ideas. I think that is cool regardless of who the President is!

The song is pretty awful, but that's in keeping with my experience of most things like this that involve grade school children performances. Hell, the craptasticness of it is part of the charm.

And hello to you Nova.

The video is the problem. What hysteria? No one said get hysterical. FNC is one channel, the rest lean the other way.

I don't see overreaction to the song. What I see are people paying attention to several things that point in one direction.......manipulation, propaganda--call it what you will. This is not the first thing that has dealt with children and school smelling of propaganda, it is just the latest.

Personally, when I see a trend like this- I think it would be a disservice not to call attention to it. Now people are aware of it. So you and I agree that a critical eye is needed.

Yes, we do agree on that.

But that same critical eye is even more important when it comes to each media-invented "Crisis of the Hour." IMHO, of course.

I hope you knew my mention of "hysteria" wasn't a reference to you personally.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back