Bye-bye to Debo: Last of Mitfords Passes

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Sep 24, 2014.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

What a clan they were. (Wiki link)
    • "Diana the Fascist, Jessica the Communist, Unity the Hitler-lover; Nancy the
    ...Novelist; Deborah the Duchess and Pamela the unobtrusive poultry connoisseur."

The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire obituary (Guardian)
    • Last of the famous Mitford sisters, she became a successful chatelaine of Chatsworth House

Dowager Duchess of Devonshire - obituary (Telegraph)
    • The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire was the devoted chatelaine of Chatsworth and last of the Mitford sisters

Last of the Mitford sisters the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire has died aged 94 (Daily Mail)
    • Born Deborah Mitford in 1920, she was the youngest of the six Mitford girls
    • Prince of Wales paid tribute to her 'unique personality' and 'original approach to life'
    • She had tea with Hitler, with whom her sister, Unity, was besotted, in 1937
    • Married Lord Andrew Cavendish in 1941 and moved into Chatsworth House
    • Known as Debo, the Duchess had seven children of whom three survived
    • Her son, Peregrine, 70, became the 12th Duke when Andrew died in 2004
    • They also had daughters Lady Emma, now 71, and Lady Sophia, now 57
    • After her husband's death, she left Chatsworth, Derbys, for nearby vicarage

Last of famous Mitford sisters dies at 94 (AP)

2. Loading...

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Gosh, commentless -- perhaps I've over-estimated the number of WSers who regularly use the word châtelaine as a search term.

4. Confusion

Confusion Well-Known Member

I'm embarrassed to say that I saw the subject line and was wondering what a Mitford pass was.:blushing:

5. MizStery

MizStery Well-Known Member

Hello wfgodot,
    Thank-you! Unlike today when it's the Kardashians 24/7. These were woman whose lives of privilege allowed them to live out their lives on the world stage.

Miss you and ~N/T~ on the Holly Bobo thread.

I thought the following interesting. This is a copy and paste from the 'Comments' from your linked website:
    William (Billy) Cavendish, Marquess of Hartington and older brother to Andrew Cavendish, married Kathleen Kennedy in London in 1944. For those of you without a clue, Kathleen Kennedy was a sister to John Kennedy of the Kennedy clan. William Cavendish was shot and killed by a sniper in Belgium during WWII when he was serving with the Guards Armoured Division. Kathleen Kennedy died just a couple of years later in a plane crash in Europe. Fred Astaire's sister, Adele, was married to Charles Cavendish who died of alcoholism in 1938. Well, there you have it.

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Anyone interested in this most interesting family is urged to read daughter Decca's 'Hons and Rebels' -- great place to begin.

Then it's on to Nancy's novel 'Love in a Cold Climate' (the title taken from Orwell); then a couple of bios -- perhaps Diana & Unity.

7. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

8. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Why the Mitford sisters were the Kardashians of their day (New Statesman)
    • These beautiful, wayward young women, who caused such scandal in their time, were the reality
    ...stars of their day, providing plentiful fodder for the papers, society magazines and gossip rags.

Exactly. The comparison is odious; still, this is worth reading. In defense....

9. Morag

Morag Active Member

The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family, by Mary S. Lovell, is the best book I've read about this fascinating (and annoying) family. When I toured Chatsworth a number of years ago, Debo herself was behind the counter at the gift shop.

10. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

I've never heard of them before now ... what a fascinating family.

11. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

The Duchess also owned a pub, albeit a rather posh one that's more like a small hotel. Here are clips from an long interview she did with the man who leases and runs that pub, when she held a book-signing event there.

The full, unedited interview in two parts can be seen at this link. It was a mistake for me to watch it because it's Sunday, and seeing that pub has made me long for an English, Sunday pub lunch with proper Yorkshire puddings. The nearest I'll get here in Germany is Sauerkraut and knodels. It's just not the same. :(
    http://www.theswanswinbrook.co.uk/the-mitfords/

[video=youtu;LntDwmvZxag]http://youtu.be/LntDwmvZxag[/video]

12. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

Attached Files:

13. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

14. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

15. STEADFAST

STEADFAST New Member

I believe I've read every book by and about the Mitford girls. So sorry Deborah's gone.

16. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

This Telegraph article seems to have eluded me:

Deborah Devonshire interview: Elvis, Hitler and the Mitford sisters

• In this 2007 interview, 'Debo', Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, talks about her relationships with her famous sisters and her love for Elvis Presley

One feels one's admiration for the youngest Mitford sink to rock bottom here. In fact, this sums up the odiousness of the family's world-view. Only Nancy, Decca, and perhaps Pam appeared unaffected by the brutality of its right-wing pomposity.

17. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Another elusive one, this from Guardian, 2010:

The Duchess of Devonshire: 'When you are very old, you cry over some things, but not a lot'

• The Duchess of Devonshire, youngest of the Mitford sisters, talks about meeting Hitler and why she doesn't like change

Ah well.

18. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Jezebel, characteristically worth a look, plus accompanying links*:

The Last of the Titanically Eccentric Mitford Sisters Has Died

*e.g., from The Toast in 2013, and worth a gander:

Force-Ranking the Mitford Sisters

More at the links above; and I heartily concur with these rankings.

But back to Debo....

19. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

The Last Mitford

• When the Deborah, Dowager Duchess of Devonshire, gave a glimpse into the magical, maniacal Mitford world. One of her last ever interviews, published in the March 2010 issue of Tatler...

the rest at Tatler link above

20. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

21. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member