GUILTY CA - 1 dead, 4 injured after shooting at Chabad synagogue in Poway, Apr 2019

Most likely. But his manifesto indicates he is a bona fide racist. Either learned that at h0me or on the Internet.

Yes, he certainly is totally hateful. But when examined, it is almost always rejection by a female that has these pathetic guys getting a gun and killing.

He may have discussions with himself about being such a tough guy when inside he is questioning things about himself. He acts out to prove he is a tough guy

The Church of the Poisoned Mind.
I'm a lapsed Jew, so this really hurts. These are my "people" so to speak, and they were just to worship together. EVERYONE should feel safe in their place of worship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely. But his manifesto indicates he is a bona fide racist. Either learned that at h0me or on the Internet.

What % of people believe that people like this man are "some fine people"
Remember the Charlottesville tiki torch marchers chanted "jews will not replace us"
Yet there is an issue higher up declaring white supremacy an epidemic and problem across the country. There is your REAL national emergency. Not made up fake ones that have been declared

San Diego Mourns Woman Killed in Chabad Shooting as Other Victims Leave Hospital

"All three surviving victims of Saturday’s shooting at a synagogue have been released from the hospital, officials said Sunday, while the suspect in the deadly attack remained jailed and was due to be arraigned Wednesday.

Friends and neighbors identified the woman who was killed as 60-year- old Lori Gilbert Kaye of San Diego and said she died a hero for trying to protect the rabbi after the suspect, 19-year-old John T. Earnest of San Diego, opened fire as about 100 people worshipped at Chabad of Poway during the last day of Passover....

Jacobs and other friends said Kaye jumped in front Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein as the gunman opened fire with an AK-15 assault rifle Saturday morning. Goldstein, 57, suffered wounds in the index fingers on both hands, but reportedly continued his sermon....

Earnest was being held without bail at San Diego Central Jail. He’s scheduled to be arraigned at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday on one count of murder and three counts of attempted murder..."

https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2...bad-shooting-as-other-victims-leave-hospital/

D5O6t1eWAAEBVU7.jpg

(Lori Gilbert Kaye)

I just don't understand how a 19-year-old piano playing nursing student can be so filled with hatred for an entire people. How does that happen?

Very good question. This guy seems not to follow any of the "standard" extremist resumes:

- Late middle aged gunman with a history of failed marriages and employment difficulties. His economic status is declining and he lacks the skills to be competitive in a new, information age economy. or

- Early twenties gunman with a history of aggressive behavior, a long and public interest in "build up" topics or groups, romantic relationships are short lived, employment prospects not good and getting worse.

Instead, the gunman had other wise healthy interests, a good personality, and good employment prospects. Yet, still quietly nose dives into extremism that is usually attractive only to the "angry at life" types.

I'm a lapsed Jew, so this really hurts. These are my "people" so to speak, and they were just to worship together.
As a side note, Einstein shared your thoughts as well.

Einstein was also a lapsed Jew who took it one step further and gently stopped believing in Judaism as a religion.

Yet, he always publically self identified as 'Jewish' and considered all Jews, even those whom he had very little in common with to be "his people".

Synagogue Shooting Suspect Was a Piano-Playing Nursing Student From Religious Family With a Racist Secret
The suspected shooter of the San Diego synagogue, John Earnest, is a member of Escondido Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Escondido, CA.

Monday, April 29, 2019

"POWAY, California—Nineteen-year-old nursing student John T. Earnest, who was charged with murder Sunday as the lone gunman in the deadly Poway Synagogue shooting, played piano for hours a day and earned a 4.31 grade point average. His father was a church elder whom neighbors called “the sweetest man.”

But somewhere on his path, Earnest took a terrible turn, claiming Adolf Hitler as an idol and writing what appears to be his own rambling manifesto that Jews “deserved nothing but hell.” He wanted to be the one to, as he put it, “Send. Them. There.”..."

Synagogue Shooting Suspect Was a Piano-Playing Nursing Student From Religious Family With a Racist Secret - The Aquila Report
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alleged synagogue shooter pleads not guilty to 109 federal charges

May 14, 2019

"SAN DIEGO — A 19-year-old man suspected of opening fire at a Poway synagogue in an anti-Semitic rampage made his first appearance in San Diego federal court Tuesday, pleading not guilty to 109 charges.

The federal hate crimes prosecution against John Timothy Earnest of Rancho Penasquitos, announced last week, is moving simultaneously alongside a state case charging him with murder, attempted murder and arson. He pleaded not guilty to those charges April 30 in San Diego Superior Court.

If convicted, both cases make him eligible for the death penalty, although separate decisions from state and federal prosecutors on whether to pursue capital punishment have not yet been reached.

The federal charges — 54 relating to obstruction of free exercise of religious beliefs and 54 hate crime violations — were filed on behalf of each of the worshippers present at the Chabad of Poway on April 27 when the gunfire erupted. Lori Gilbert-Kaye, 60, was killed. Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein was shot in both hands, causing him to lose an index finger, while Noya Dahan, 8, and her uncle Almog Peretz, 34, were wounded.

An additional charge — damage to a religious property using fire — relates to an arson at Dar-ul-Arquam mosque in Escondido on March 24...."

Alleged synagogue shooter pleads not guilty to 109 federal charges
---

Statement from Family of Synagogue Shooting Suspect

https://media.nbcnewyork.com/documents/STATEMENT+FROM+THE+FAMILY+OF.pdf
---

Earnest Complaint and Affidavit - Department of Justice

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1161421/download
---

Full charging document released by federal authorities on May 9, 2019:

John+T +Earnest 19MJ1900 Complaint

Being 19 John T. Earnest was only able to buy the rifle because he had a hunting permit.

Suspected Poway synagogue shooter purchased gun at local store

"Staff at San Diego Guns on Mission Gorge Road confirmed they made the sale to Earnest, but didn't provide further details. While you must be 21 to buy a gun in California, you can buy a rifle if you have a hunter's license and are above the age of 18. The documents imply Earnest had such a permit."

" The new information comes after a San Diego County Superior Court judge ordered 17 search warrants unsealed in the case. Presiding Judge Peter C. Deddeh ruled there was no legal cause to keep records sealed in relation to the investigation into Earnest."

I just don't understand how a 19-year-old piano playing nursing student can be so filled with hatred for an entire people. How does that happen?

I feel the same as you. I'm mystified as to what happened to this 19 yr. old. What happened to this kid?

He seemed to be headed in the right direction. From what I understand, I believe he was brought up in a good family. His Dad's a teacher and very involved in their church. Parents of six children, they do not support what their son did at all. It's sad and scary that this 19 yr. old did such hateful violence to people quietly celebrating their faith. How do we stop this from happening?

Parents of synagogue shooter breaks silence, condemn him in statement | Daily Mail Online

July 31, 2019
Unsealed search warrants show man charged in Poway synagogue shooting bought gun in San Diego

"A ‘mobile device” found in his car contained text messages where Earnest praised the mass shooting at a mosque in Christchurch New Zealand on March 15. Four days after the shooting he sent a message — the recipient’s name is redacted — apparently lamenting he did not see the shooter’s gruesome live stream of the shooting. “I could’ve seen it live damnit,” the message read."

Recent developments from the Chabad shootings reveal one of the people who survived is suing the synagogue.

Shooting Survivor Sues Poway Synagogue

A man wounded in a shooting at a San Diego-area synagogue is suing the house of worship, alleging Chabad of Poway didn't use federal funds meant to hire security to protect worshipers, according to a newspaper report. Shooting Survivor Sues Poway Synagogue

John Earnest, the shooter, was only 19 at the time and had a bright future. It's truly a mystery how some turn to violent hate when they had such normal American childhoods.

Please let me add this here. Happening now-- another young man born in Wisconsin, but brought up in San Diego. He was smart and a popular student according to his classmates. It's very important people are aware of the search for Jehad Serwan Mostafa.

Now 37, Jehad Serwan Mostafa is all over the news.
ETA-- Mostafa has remained a key figure on the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorist List for nearly a decade. The Bureau is now asking citizens around the world to study his picture and listen to his voice to help finally bring him to justice.

Watch Video
FBI offers $5m reward for Wisconsin-born leader of African terror group al-Shabab | Daily Mail Online

FBI seeks terrorist from San Diego

Last edited:
Keeping this thread updated, although it seems there's not much interest. Now, it's the former Rabbi that's in the news.

The Rabbi loved being in the spotlight at one time.

Report: Poway rabbi pleads guilty to tax fraud

Ran across some disappointing news about the rabbi who seemed to love the lime light, IMO, and gained recognition when "Goldstein was shot in both index fingers and lost one of his index fingers as a result. The rabbi was invited to the National Prayer Breakfast at the White House days after the incident."

Who knew? At the time of the shootings at the Chabad, Rabbi Goldstein was already under investigation.
… a scheme where donors made large contributions to Chabad of Poway, but then secretly got most of the money back."

"Typically, according to several sources with knowledge of the investigation, the synagogue would keep a portion of the contribution — say 10 percent — then funnel the remaining 90 percent back to the donor," the newspaper reported.

"According the Union-Tribune report, the investigation into Goldstein and Chabad of Poway started in 2018, six months before the shooting."

:eek: "Law enforcement and courthouse sources said that among the items investigators were seeking in that search was $1 million in cash and a collection of gold bars," the newspaper reported."

[…] In response to the charges, the Chabad of Poway said it removed Goldstein from his duties and terminated its relationship with him.

BBM

Last edited:
It's odd that the people connected to this case keep ending up in the news. While I'm updating this thread, let me add that the officer who helped get the Chabad shooter into custody later made the news again.

… Glad he was stopped by an off duty Border Patrol officer. More people could have been killed...

San Diego officer rescues toddlers after father drives off Sunset Cliffs

I saw the chilling video of this father driving off the cliff with his two year old twin daughters in his lap. It's a miracle and thanks to this officer that they are all alive today. The father faces charges, of course.

"SDPD K9 Officer Jonathan Wiese said the man had his daughters in his lap during the crash and the truck landed upside down on top of a rock, which would have killed the girls had they been in the back seat."

[…]

"SDPD Police Chief David Nisleit said he believed Wiese saved the girls' life, and was proud of Wiese's heroic actions."

"That's probably the most heroic thing I've seen in my 32 years," he said."

"He reminded us Wiese is the Officer of the Year, honored for a long list of heroic acts, including helping arrest the suspected Chabad of Poway shooter."

BBM

Rabbi wounded at Poway synagogue admits stealing $620K through tax fraud | FOX 5 San Diego
upload_2020-7-14_19-39-21.png
"Yisroel Goldstein, 58, admitted taking part in a scheme where donors who gave large amounts of money to Chabad of Poway secretly got most of their money back, U.S Attorney Robert Brewer said. The donors then claimed the full amount as a charitable contribution, and Goldstein, who controlled Chabad’s finances, kicked back 90% of the donation and kept 10% for himself, Brewer said."

90-10 Fraud
"Investigators called this scheme the “90-10 fraud.” Over the course of several years, Goldstein accepted at least $6.2 million in fake donations from at least 18 taxpayers and kept $620,000."

[…] "Goldstein also pleaded guilty to two other fraud schemes..."

t3602.gif
The more I hear about the former Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein of the Poway Chabad the more I think he should serve some time, not just probation.

MOO, what a schemer and a thief. It's such a disappointment and embarrassment for all the members of the Chabad. They looked up to him. Losing their trust and faith in a leader is hard to get over. They were the victims.

There were actually three different
fraud schemes and I heard one goes back to the 1980s. He was still lying and cheating under the guise of his spirituality.
m0909.gif
MOO, he's been more deceptive, shifty, and criminal on a long term basis. He had a little gang of five co-conspirators and they also pleaded guilty to tax and wire fraud charges. I don't understand why he should only get probation. It's up to the Judge. Sentencing sometime in October. Goldstein has also agreed to pay $2.5 million in restitution.

This is all MOO.
15.gif

Chabad of Poway rabbi pleads guilty to tax, wire fraud

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members