CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Lucy's mom, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EuTuCroquet?

EuTuCroquet? “What's happening to my special purpose!?”

:bump:

2. keeleydoll

keeleydoll Well-Known Member

Only photo public on her personal FB posted in 2013. She looks anorexic and unwell. Anorexia/eating disorders are quite often coexisting with other mental illnesses. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bestill

bestill It's a Disney Day for SC Inmate 00378074

Careful sleuthing victim and family members and posting direct social media information. It's against Websleuth's rules unless a mod approves.

4. hopekiser1219

hopekiser1219 Former Member

Anyone know how long they were held there? How long it's been since they were seen last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Margo/Mom

Margo/Mom Active Member

Even a direct report to LE or CPS, without something beyond a creepy feeling, wouldn't have gotten anywhere.

CPS would (rightly) ask about what the neighbor (or whomever) was concerned about. Without something fairly concrete, they could go knock on the door and the parent who answers would be within their rights to turn them away. And in fact, many homeschool sites online advise families of this. Rightly or wrongly many such "off the grid" families operate under a high level of paranoia about "the state" coming after them.

Certainly we all need to be aware and share when we see something indicative of abuse/neglect. But we also need to have policies in place require some regulation of homeschooling (and private schooling) because it can so easily become a cover for abuse.

6. laurelcoronet

laurelcoronet New Member

Woops, sorry! I was trying to track down the rules and having trouble

7. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

RSBM

It's telling that some of their nearby/next door neighbors didn't know they even HAD children ! According to the news articles... the kids were allowed out for the macabre 'wedding' ceremonies and those 'trips' to Disneyland. Possible bribes to silence all of the abuse ?
    And otherwise kept inside the house of horrors.
    :moo:

8. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

In the press conference today, LE, the mayor, CFS, everyone kept emphasizing that people should report to them if they see something wrong like the situation with the Turpin family. So they must feel they have the proper authority to investigate these cases of abuse. I'm willing to defer to LE's judgment on this and call if I see something is wrong.

9. rsd1200

rsd1200 If there's no link, it's just my own 2¢.

I don't think that they are a part of any real religious group/org/church. I think that she has taken parts of her upbringing, and maybe mixed it with the "quiver full" families they've seen on t.v., poured in their own thoughts, and come up with their own beliefs that they follow. They are, basically, the only members of their own church. The parents didn't want anyone turning in their membership, and leaving, either. That's just my feel.

10. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

The birth dates of that other family show that they had children once a year for quite a few years. Its almost like they were on a mission to have as many kids as possible.

I wonder if there is a financial incentive in having so many kids and they just claim its for other reasons.

11. rsd1200

rsd1200 If there's no link, it's just my own 2¢.

I think David is the smart one out of the two. If she believes like I think she does, he is the King of the Castle. What he says goes. Defer, always, to the male. Divorce is not an option, make your man happy, and everyone will be happy.

12. PennyPie7

PennyPie7 The Power Of Crime Compels You.

Funny you mention that... my mother would serve my father 3 plates full of food but the children were allowed one strict serving. And I went on to develop some pretty severe eating disorders through my teen years. It's a shame that people think they're doing something normal or benign and have no concept of how it's going to affect their kids.

13. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

The children, especially the boys look very thin and emaciated. The baby the mom is holding doesn't look healthy either, with thin forearms. The little girl wearing boots standing in front of the boys is very thin with a distended stomach, another sign of being malnourished. The little girl dressed in black on the far right has very skinny arms. I notice this family and the Turpins have a tendency to dress their kids in bulky, baggy clothing which hides their thin bodies.

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/cropped-Website-cover-1.jpg

14. doyoulovemepfg

doyoulovemepfg Doomscrolling Eternal

In that 2011 picture, there's another boy that kind of looks like the sons. I'm not sure whether this is another relative... but I wanted to point it out to get second opinions on it.

15. ElementalLaura

ElementalLaura Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That's what I'm wondering.

16. Electric Sheep

Electric Sheep Active Member

I think it hails back to the days when the man of the house got the most/best food so he would have the strength to work and earn a living at a time when most jobs were still manual labor.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

17. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

JMO
    I agree.

The poor children is all I keep thinking about. Being somewhat isolated from society's norms and not knowing any different because all their "teachings" are coming from inside the family.

They probably did not even know that real emotional and developmental harm was being done to them.

For people that may not see the emotional and mental harm that happens in families with such extreme and unique religous teachings then I just keep going back to the Bevers case. It finally hit a breaking point in that family until the two young brothers killed almost the entire family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Arrow_killings

18. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Curious, isn't it? Do we know why he left Northrup? Did I miss that some where? I'd surely like to know why he isn't working there any more. Too busy making Vegas & Disney trips? Too busy raising & schooling their children?

On another note -- do we know whether either of the two parents were raised in a way similar to the way they have "raised" their children? Does either of them come from a large family? Was either of them kept inside their house and chained-up to a piece of furniture when s/he was growing up? (Serious questions -- no sarcasm intended.)

19. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

If a relative will not let you speak to the kids , or won't allow you to enter their house... Should really put up warning flags.
    There's not much you can do about it -- but you SHOULD contact the authorities. At least you know you tried.

People who close their eyes to abuse and do nothing are also complicit.

Gabriel Lopez' teacher contacted the authorities more than once about the condition he was in. Sadly, CPS let it go ... and allowed him to die.
    There is no excuse to just do nothing.
    Sick of these stories of abuse --where it might have been prevented.

If these abusers (Turpin parents) didn't report these births/no social sec. number; wonder if there are bodies buried in their yard, or elsewhere ?
    They were so secretive. :(
    :moo:

20. mrsward

mrsward Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.