CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lots of issues coming to the surface now.

The Turpin siblings are now just starting to learn how to cope with their future. I am sure they all understand everything is much better for them now. Now they are happy and becoming as healthy as possible.

I wonder what rhe fundraising amounts are at?

I wonder if children that have been abused feel uncomfortable in a different situation.

I know that sometimes people with issues create failure for themselves when they are doing well. They psychologically feel unworthy of having a positive life.
I bet anything the children were berated.

I am sure this is a known problem. I wonder how it can be treated.

I wonder what rhe fundraising amounts are at?

I wonder if children that have been abused feel uncomfortable in a different situation.

I know that sometimes people with issues create failure for themselves when they are doing well. They psychologically feel unworthy of having a positive life.
I bet anything the children were berated.

I am sure this is a known problem. I wonder how it can be treated.

It would be nice if they have a big amount.

I hope they can draw strength from just having survived, but it will be very hard.

Hi Everyone,

We need you to stop discussing home schooling as it relates to everything else BUT the Turpin family.

If your post about homeschooling connects to the Turpin's then hit "Submit Reply". If your post is about homeschooling and it does not apply in any way shape or form to the Turpin family/case then do not hit "Submit Reply".

Thank you,
Tricia

This article looks kinda generically at what leads parents to abuse/neglect children in the way that the Turpin children were. http://time.com/5109959/turpin-parents-children-torture/

The experts that they quote tend to look at two categorical situations. One has to do with drug/alcohol abuse, which does not appear to be the case for this family. The other has to do with mental/emotional impairments (for lack of a better term) that relate to either delusion or paranoia (or I suppose both). Without offering excuses, I think it is helpful to look through different lenses in order to understand the internal logic of what was going on. Just as each of the victims had point of view or logic that prevented them from simply walking out or calling on authorities or neighbors for rescue, so the parents must also have been operating based on some internal logic. If one's delusional belief system suggests that great wisdom comes to those having large families under their control (just making this up for the sake of illustration), then one might zealously pursue that situation way beyond the point at which normal folks would recognize that things had gone too far. Similarly if one carried a great fear of one's children one day being able to overpower their parents and do dire things, then one might go way beyond normal kinds of behavior restraints, discipline and teaching in search of being able to feel safe.

All of this for me is just prelude to being able to fit in these pictures of family outings and graduations, birthdays and the like. While we suppose the parents to be monsters getting some kind of thrill from isolating, restraining and torturing their children, it is my guess that within their internal logic (and perhaps even some or all of the children) they were simply responding to what they saw as real dangers. This is what paranoia and delusion do. I would imagine that their "condition" also escalated over time so that the oldest children likely received a greater attempt at education--including a celebration of graduating. It would also appear as though Mom (I'm guessing Mom) got some kind of joy/thrill from dressing her flock up and parading them around some places that she apparently liked to visit. This was possibly even an obsession, and it must have required not only a big cash outlay at regular intervals, but also planning, purchasing all those matching outfits, scheduling the Vegas chapel and so forth. In short, I don't think it was about providing cover for the rest of what was going on. I think it was part of her whole head game.

I agree. I think there was possibly something more going on upstairs. After reading the article about folks who live in squalor and the study about damage to the frontal lobe causing that, and other problems, I could see correlation with some of what it seemed was going on.

I’m finding it hard to wrap around my head that LT’s Mom let her date DT, without LT’s fathers consent. I know we throw around scenarios but if LT Dad was a controlling abusive husband, then I highly doubt LT’s Mom would have given LT the okay to date.
Then, because of this rift, her parents end up divorcing 2 years later.
The fact was that LT was 16 years old and DT was 23. LT’s Dad may have felt 16 was just too young to date. I know some parents who won’t let their kids date until 18. (Although kids if they really want to, just do it behind their back or keep it on the down low).
I think DT was socially awkward and insecure around girls his age. LT probably felt he was her knight in shining armor.
Was LT’s Mom a pushover or did LT manipulate her to date DT? Was LT a strong willed, rebellious child who called the shots? Manipulative to her Mom/Dad?
AND, since she did eventually marry and leave the state with DT, was LT insistent that she didn’t look like a failure to her family for her choices?
Was LT scared that she would have strong willed, rebellious kids (because she was), and did everything in her power to break her children’s spirit?
Just random thoughts.
Wish we knew how this began, it would give insight into their marriage dynamics.

Actually, I have been thinking that we only have the sisters' stories about LT's parents' attitudes of the dating/wedding. These could come from LT, not the parents.

We have two years of enrollment for the Turpins' "school". The students all progress along as one would expect given their ages. But, what was this based on, I wonder?

I know there was no face to face oversight, but I think surely there must have been some communication between them and the state. Even if the state just sent the occasional form in the mail. I get they can put whatever they want, but does anyone know specifically what California might send to home schooling parents?

They changed their number a lot, but would they have gotten any phone calls about it?

We have two years of enrollment for the Turpins' "school". The students all progress along as one would expect given their ages. But, what was this based on, I wonder?

I know there was no face to face oversight, but I think surely there must have been some communication between them and the state. Even if the state just sent the occasional form in the mail. I get they can put whatever they want, but does anyone know specifically what California might send to home schooling parents?

They changed their number a lot, but would they have gotten any phone calls about it?

So here's what I found by researching homeschooling laws in CA. (Which, I know, are going to differ from private school stuff, but I am still working on that.)

1. File an annual private school affidavit.This form must be filed with the California Superintendent of Public Instruction between October 1 and October 15 of each school year. New private schools that start up after October 15 should file an affidavit as soon as possible.
2. Maintain an attendance register.
3. Instruction must be in English.
4. Instructors must be capable of teaching.
5. Provide instruction in the courses commonly taught in the public schools (e.g., language arts, math, science, social studies, health, and driver training)
6. Maintain immunization records or personal beliefs exemption.
7. Maintain a list of courses of study.
8. Maintain a list of instructors with their addresses and qualifications.

You should also keep detailed records of your program. These records may be helpful if you face an investigation regarding your homeschooling or your student needs to furnish proof of education.These records should include attendance records, information on the textbooks and workbooks your student used, samples of your student’s schoolwork, correspondence with school officials, portfolios and test results, and any other documents showing that your child is receiving an appropriate education in compliance with the law.

But here's the thing, apparently the CDE does NOT regulate private schools, which could very well be why the Turpins created their "own" school instead of homeschooling...

Here are some FAQs about private schools in CA... https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/ps/psfaq.asp

And if you want to check out something from Vice...(it does mention the Turpin family)

Setting up your own private school takes about 10 minutes in California

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article...e-school-takes-about-10-minutes-in-california

Both have 12 counts of torture

Both have 12 counts of false imprisonment

She has 11 counts of child endangerment and he has 6

She has 6 willful harm to a child and he has 5

Both have 7 harm/cruelty to a dependent adult

He has 1 lewd act.

Did I count these right? Please check my work.

DT charges: http://jimspub.riversidesheriff.org/cgi-bin/iisinfo.acu?bkno=201801856P
LT charges:
http://jimspub.riversidesheriff.org/cgi-bin/iisinfo.acu?bkno=201801857P

ETA to add links from Kizzykat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think they had the indictments in place very fast.
Had they interviewed all the siblings at that time and read through the journals?

Why so fast?

One lewd act for DT, I don´t believe he only sexually molested one child for one year (exactly).
Is it that they interviewed the escape girl and the indictments are mainly based on her account? Is she the molested one in the indictment?

What do you all make of that?

And another thing: The ten year gap between the two youngest children seems unrealistic.

Of course there is the age of the mother to take into consideration.
Fertility declines with age.
But still, Can´t help wondering if there were little ones born who "vanished".

And here comes my question in connection to that:
LT gave birth to all of the siblings in hospitals, right?
That must mean they are all registered??

I live in Denmark, have no idea of how such things work in the USA.

Has it been proven that the children ACTUALLY WENT to Disney?

I think they had the indictments in place very fast.
Had they interviewed all the siblings at that time and read through the journals?

Why so fast?

One lewd act for DT, I don´t believe he only sexually molested one child for one year (exactly).
Is it that they interviewed the escape girl and the indictments are mainly based on her account? Is she the molested one in the indictment?

What do you all make of that?

And another thing: The ten year gap between the two youngest children seems unrealistic.

Of course there is the age of the mother to take into consideration.
Fertility declines with age.
But still, Can´t help wondering if there were little ones born who "vanished".

And here comes my question in connection to that:
LT gave birth to all of the siblings in hospitals, right?
That must mean they are all registered??

I live in Denmark, have no idea of how such things work in the USA.

They have said more charges could be coming. (And I expect them to.) You cannot hold them in jail without charging them. They likely wanted to charge them with what they needed, so they would not get out and/or have any contact with the children.

I don't know what opinion I hold about children being born and going missing. As fertility declines, the likelihood of miscarriage does increase. It's possible that she had several nonviable pregnancies in that gap, or even experienced a stillbirth. It's always possible she had babies and they went missing, but IMO it seems she only takes decent care of the babies.

Has it been proven that the children ACTUALLY WENT to Disney?

This group of photos does seem to prove it, yes, imo.

There are some group shots with extended family with the siblings in similar clothes, but probably different times, as well. These photo ops from around the park seem to be the same day, possibly 2011 or so. Taken from Google images, found in various articles.

familia-5-634x459.jpg
74782c0c71300d792a4f67c7d3c76baf.jpeg
1217291930ac47e543ddf0dca718e0c3.jpeg
TELEMMGLPICT000151426951_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqdUd-TAaiPbxkimx6luvE3VAu7jBTWG0CIoKp6yj7fc.jpeg

Actually, I have been thinking that we only have the sisters' stories about LT's parents' attitudes of the dating/wedding. These could come from LT, not the parents.

In many of these abusive homes, especially when money is tight, there is a common theme that the sooner the teen gets married and out of the house then someone else has to 'pay' to keep her.

I saw this in my own home and my older sister tells the story of my father trying to set up dates with a much older boy.
I can't stress enough, the backwoods, ignorant parenting that some families have. They do not value their children
in a healthy way. Only in ways that it makes the parent look good.

Both have 12 counts of torture

Both have 12 counts of false imprisonment

She has 11 counts of child endangerment and he has 6

She has 6 willful harm to a child and he has 5

Both have 7 harm/cruelty to a dependent adult

He has 1 lewd act.

Did I count these right? Please check my work.

DT charges: http://jimspub.riversidesheriff.org/cgi-bin/iisinfo.acu?bkno=201801856P
LT charges:
http://jimspub.riversidesheriff.org/cgi-bin/iisinfo.acu?bkno=201801857P

ETA to add links from Kizzykat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was curious about the willful harm to a child. Would this be specific incidents of beatings? Are these strangulation?

I wonder about 11 child endangerment for her, but 6 for him. At first I thought they were going back to when there were 11 minor kids for this charge, but they are only charging for time in CA. Are these specific incidents of leaving a child alone?

I wonder how many pictures she had. Could charges that need a specific act have had photographic evidence?

I'd be very interested to hear the 911 call. Was she frantic claiming to be held captive or frantic with fear and knowledge that this was not right on a basic level, but unsure what to do besides say "we need help!"? Could be eye opening.

Finally, I should & will look myself, but why lewd act and not rape or assult. I'm assuming rape=penetration so we could breath the smallest sigh. What contrasts lewd act from sex assault? Touching? Or does CA not have sex assault?

This group of photos does seem to prove it, yes, imo.

There are some group shots with extended family with the siblings in similar clothes, but probably different times, as well. These photo ops from around the park seem to be the same day, possibly 2011 or so. Taken from Google images, found in various articles.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Notice how they never touch each other in the photos we see.
Either they hold their own hands (as a compensation for not being touched), or have their arms straight down. The middle boy´s arms and hands especially straight with hands and fingers stretched out, almost like a soldier. The other two boys seem to have more relaxed arms.

Either they hold their own hands (as a compensation for not being touched), or have their arms straight down. The middle boy´s arms and hands especially straight with hands and fingers stretched out, almost like a soldier. The other two boys seem to have more relaxed arms.

Agreed, but I don't want to read too much into that with these pictures. For example, the picture with Jasmine - Jasmine has her arms crossed so the photographer probably told all the kids to cross their arms the same way.

I never noticed that before you pointed it out. How strange. Not relaxed at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd