GUILTY CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four year state schools are only free in NY if it’s your first time attending college, your household income is under $125,000, and you must stay in the state for 4 years after you graduate, or for however long you are in the program, and if you don’t you will have to pay it all back. In some parts of the country, $125k might sound like a lot, but in my area it’s not much at all, so many families do not benefit from this. But it’s a step in the right direction.

Yes, I understood that, but thank you for clarifying for the benefit of others who may not have known. 😁 If the conditions were the same as NY, our daughter would not qualify, but it would be a huge opportunity for a majority of residents. Our TN Promise/ Hope/Reconnect Acts (free cc) have no restrictions due to income, and apply to all students who have not already earned an associates or higher, regardless of age. So it would not be surprising to see 4 year colleges tuition-free here as well.

But we are getting off on a tangent. Send us the Turpins! We will gladly educate them for free, as well as anyone else who wants to join the hoards of folks from other states moving here!

Thank you for your insight! Its interesting to see the differences in different states. Comm. Colleges in TN do require the SAT or ACT for enrollment, and do not allow anyone to sign up without having graduated high school ( possibly unless it's for enrichment-type classes...cake decorating is a class I know our local school offers, for example). I noticed Turpin 2.0 took automotive classes, which would never be offered at comm. college here. You would go to a TCAT, our technical schools here, for that.

Thank you again for the information! I know our higher education system is a bit different and I enjoy hearing the differences. I'm glad our colleges are free now, and I'm excited for my daughter to be able to receive her high school diploma and Associates degree at the same time. A huge time and money saver!

ETA: Thank you also for the articles you posted in a different post above! This is pretty much exactly what TN has implemented. The first two years are free, even for adults as of this fall. It is working SPECTACULARLY for our economy, and it won't surprise me if we soon follow New York's example and make 4-year colleges free as well.

Actually, some TN Community Colleges DO offer mechanics and so forth. It really depends what programs are offered (what degrees, etc.). Look at Chattanooga State for example.

https://www.chattanoogastate.edu/academics/degrees-certificates

Actually, some TN Community Colleges DO offer mechanics and so forth. It really depends what programs are offered (what degrees, etc.). Look at Chattanooga State for example.

https://www.chattanoogastate.edu/academics/degrees-certificates

Unless I'm missing something, those auto mechanics classes are classed under TCAT, which I mentioned before is a what a technical college is in TN. The TCAT in Chattanooga is located at the same site as the comm. college. That's not the norm here. :) Now, there are mechatronic and other "mechanics" classes within the community college, but those are training for the good-paying auto production jobs at places like Volkwagen in Chatt, rather than "auto mechanics" like JT was taking.

I find the differences fascinating - you would think this would be something where the offerings are pretty much the same everywhere, but that's not the case.

From the course load listed for JT, it almost looks like he just wanted to get out of the house. As someone said before, there's no cohesiveness to the classes. Strange.

Unless I'm missing something, those auto mechanics classes are classed under TCAT, which I mentioned before is a what a technical college is in TN. The TCAT in Chattanooga is located at the same site as the comm. college. That's not the norm here. :) Now, there are mechatronic and other "mechanics" classes within the community college, but those are training for the good-paying auto production jobs at places like Volkwagen in Chatt, rather than "auto mechanics" like JT was taking.

I find the differences fascinating - you would think this would be something where the offerings are pretty much the same everywhere, but that's not the case.

From the course load listed for JT, it almost looks like he just wanted to get out of the house. As someone said before, there's no cohesiveness to the classes. Strange.

Since, at least, two of his sisters (J-1 and J-8) liked to sing and write songs, maybe the music classes were what he actually wanted to do. The mechanical engineering classes were probably forced on him by his father. Or maybe he just had very different interests. Taking into consideration the whole context, I don't believe he had much freedom to actually chose which classes he wanted to take.

Considering all we know about the Turpins, It is difficult for me to understand how they would encourage/allow their oldest child to attend college. What was in it for them?

Yes, the differences are fascinating. And I believe that the variations may be seen within state systems as well as between programs in different states. (For what it is worth, my impression of the “separation” between the TCAT program and the more academically oriented classes across community colleges in TN is different from yours. A lot of the community colleges in TN began as technical colleges.)

To generalize about community colleges across the U.S., these institutions typically offer 3 different “strands” of courses. “Academic” courses that are intended towards transfer to a four-year college are only “strand.” They may be what defines a community college for some, but for others the community college is defined by the “technical” courses that lead to an “applied” 2-year degree. Still others may turn to the community college for enrichment or specialized support. Courses such as auto mechanics and guitar playing could be seen as “enrichment.”

Essentially, community colleges try to meet many different educational needs.

My impression from the Turpin son’s transcript is that he began to work toward a 2-year degree. The Spring 2016 semester is classic gen ed. The previous semesters (except for one college-level course) were clearly “remedial.”

In summer 2016, however, he takes an auto mechanics course. THis could just be an “elective” or “enrichment.” Then he takes just a guitar course in the fall. And the next time he is enrolled full-time, he takes two auto mechanic courses, a music course, and a “gen ed” type course in archeology (his only “B”).

My guess is that the Turpin parents decided he should specialize in car repairs. Why he was also taking the “academic” courses if the goal was just to train him as a mechanic, I don’t know. But I think it is interesting that he had earned a full semester’s worth of college credits as well as almost a semester of car repairs.

The guitar lessons were probably a pleasure to him, but I would guess that the parents liked the idea that he would be able to play. This may have been a somewhat musical family all around. For all we know, LT liked to sing and wanted guitar accompaniment. ;)

Considering all we know about the Turpins, It is difficult for me to understand how they would encourage/allow their oldest child to attend college. What was in it for them?

They were literally drowning in debt. Maybe they wanted him to be able to get a job to help out. They could have "chosen" him because a) they thought he was the most capable of all of them, or b) they thought he was the most easily controlable of them, the one they knew would come back home and not say a single word. They did trust him to some extent because he was attending college for that long but the fact that the mother drove him and waited outside of the classroom for him to be done and take him back home also makes me believe she wasn't so sure about his "loyalty" to the family. She could have drop him off and go grocery shopping, go to a park and read, take the kids to a park (that's what normal people do) but no, she waited outside of his classroom.

My impression from the Turpin son’s transcript is that he began to work toward a 2-year degree. The Spring 2016 semester is classic gen ed. The previous semesters (except for one college-level course) were clearly “remedial.”

In summer 2016, however, he takes an auto mechanics course. THis could just be an “elective” or “enrichment.” Then he takes just a guitar course in the fall. And the next time he is enrolled full-time, he takes two auto mechanic courses, a music course, and a “gen ed” type course in archeology (his only “B”).

My guess is that the Turpin parents decided he should specialize in car repairs. Why he was also taking the “academic” courses if the goal was just to train him as a mechanic, I don’t know. But I think it is interesting that he had earned a full semester’s worth of college credits as well as almost a semester of car repairs.

The guitar lessons were probably a pleasure to him, but I would guess that the parents liked the idea that he would be able to play. This may have been a somewhat musical family all around. For all we know, LT liked to sing and wanted guitar accompaniment. ;)

I do think they might have been a "musical" family. Maybe the music thing was something they all, or most of them, had in common. It's really hard to imagine them singing and playing the guitar but like the Disney and Vegas vacations, maybe the music thing was their "treat".

They were literally drowning in debt. Maybe they wanted him to be able to get a job to help out. They could have "chosen" him because a) they thought he was the most capable of all of them, or b) they thought he was the most easily controlable of them, the one they knew would come back home and not say a single word. They did trust him to some extent because he was attending college for that long but the fact that the mother drove him and waited outside of the classroom for him to be done and take him back home also makes me believe she wasn't so sure about his "loyalty" to the family. She could have drop him off and go grocery shopping, go to a park and read, take the kids to a park (that's what normal people do) but no, she waited outside of his classroom.

Yes,

JT being the oldest male sibling and their financial woes make David and Louise see that some outside STRONGLY SUPERVISED intervention was needed. They were training JT to be "The next David" and wanted him to follow in David's footsteps.

They issued demands that JT would not socialize with anybody, other than his teachers, and only when asked to participate. We saw what happened when JT tried to connect with a girl who also said she had no friends. JT asked Louise if they could be friends, she snarkily answers back, "Whatever." This girl had invaded the family's personal life, and there's no way Louise would stand for that. The girl said that that was the last time JT came back to the class. We know that JT either dropped the class, or Louise could have insisted that he be moved to a different class section.

Louise probably wanted a musical family and liked guitars. Both she and David saw anything they did as only concerns for their benefit and not the kids. Louise was the demander and David was the teacher according to Louise's demands. When their parents teaching abilities were "Maxed Out." they probably thought that an easy to get into Community College was the way for the oldest child, and probably the most trusted to get his "David Turpin." training.

Louise probably liked journal writing and maybe that is why the kids were allowed to keep journals. Maybe she wanted all the kids to be "Bible Thumping, Disney-Loving, musical ministers." But remember that the Turpin's followed their own religious doctrines, accepting and rejecting what they liked and hated from about four different disciplines.

Based on what we know about the family, what different religious beliefs did they practice? What doctrine follows the "no TV, no enjoyment, and limited to no social life with abusive discipline that the Turpin's followed?

Satch

Yes,

JT being the oldest male sibling and their financial woes make David and Louise see that some outside STRONGLY SUPERVISED intervention was needed. They were training JT to be "The next David" and wanted him to follow in David's footsteps.

They issued demands that JT would not socialize with anybody, other than his teachers, and only when asked to participate. We saw what happened when JT tried to connect with a girl who also said she had no friends. JT asked Louise if they could be friends, she snarkily answers back, "Whatever." This girl had invaded the family's personal life, and there's no way Louise would stand for that. The girl said that that was the last time JT came back to the class. We know that JT either dropped the class, or Louise could have insisted that he be moved to a different class section.

Louise probably wanted a musical family and liked guitars. Both she and David saw anything they did as only concerns for their benefit and not the kids. Louise was the demander and David was the teacher according to Louise's demands. When their parents teaching abilities were "Maxed Out." they probably thought that an easy to get into Community College was the way for the oldest child, and probably the most trusted to get his "David Turpin." training.

Louise probably liked journal writing and maybe that is why the kids were allowed to keep journals. Maybe she wanted all the kids to be "Bible Thumping, Disney-Loving, musical ministers." But remember that the Turpin's followed their own religious doctrines, accepting and rejecting what they liked and hated from about four different disciplines.

Based on what we know about the family, what different religious beliefs did they practice? What doctrine follows the "no TV, no enjoyment, and limited to no social life with abusive discipline that the Turpin's followed?

Satch

Oh wow. I never heard anything about that. That's incredibly sad for both J-2 and the classmate. Can you direct me to a source/link where I can read about it?

Is there a requirement on how many credits one has to take each sememster to qualify for free educafion?

Is there a requirement on how many credits one has to take each sememster to qualify for free educafion?

In NY it’s 15. Idk what other states require. I don’t think CA has “free” education. I say “free” bc nothing is ever free. Someone is paying for it. Not to mention if you don’t pass all of your courses, or you drop below 15 credits, you have to pay it back.

In NY it’s 15. Idk what other states require. I don’t think CA has “free” education. I say “free” bc nothing is ever free. Someone is paying for it. Not to mention if you don’t pass all of your courses, or you drop below 15 credits, you have to pay it back.

Nothing in life is free. Someone somewhere pays for whatever we ger such as freeways or the CDC or clean air or water

California used to have free education.

Oh wow. I never heard anything about that. That's incredibly sad for both J-2 and the classmate. Can you direct me to a source/link where I can read about it?

Looking for it, but can't find it now. It was one of the first documents released about JT's education.

Satch

Isn’t the topic of homeschooling off limits?

Only if it doesn't relate to the Turpin's in anyway.
The current discussion is about how the one son was able to attend college with a homeschooling education.
That can be discussed.

Only if it doesn't relate to the Turpin's in anyway.
The current discussion is about how the one son was able to attend college with a homeschooling education.
That can be discussed.

One out of about six older than him? Is that an accomplishment of home schooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member