CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Lucy's mom, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enelram

enelram Well-Known Member

Big Hugs to you Iona. Come back when you're ready.

2. perfectingpink

perfectingpink Well-Known Member

:grouphug:

3. rosemadderlake

rosemadderlake Well-Known Member

Wonder if any of these children were ever vaccinated? For anything? This would make them very vulnerable. Or dental?

Bbm: It could be older girls are experienced midwives? And, nannies, and caretakers.

Thing I wonder, is even as underweight as they were, what happened when a teen's natural hormones and desires kicked in? Was this somehow surpressed in some militaristic way? Was that why they were shackled? So they wouldn't run away or act out their urges with each other? Were they punished if they did?

I mean, the parents were all about the PDA at the reenactment weddings. And was that fairytale display of love only for them?

4. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

The medical personnel at the hospital thought the adult offspring were children. The 29yo woman was thought to be not only a teenager, but a young teen. For all we know, those older females haven't even reached puberty. You need to reach puberty to be able to conceive.

LE has said all the children belong to the two parents. The case is horrific enough without jumping to even worse conclusions without proof. I'm taking LE's word for it....unless it changes in the future.

jmo

5. Skatexloni

Skatexloni Member

I also noticed some medical bills on the bankruptcy forms. Anesthesiology I believe was on one of the bills. So IT does seem atleast someone was seeking medical attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Thank you for telling us a tiny bit of your experience. Your strength and resilience are incredible.

I know far too much about Gothard and ATI, Doug Phillips, and all the other scandals and information surrounding these sects and it;s mind-blowing. Worse is that t.v. networks actively promote a whitewashed view of these "quaint' families while the ugly reality - sex abuse, physical abuse, domestic violence, poverty, neglect, insanity and deprivation, often lurk beneath the surface.

I'm sorry you went through that.

7. Pseudonymph

Pseudonymph Well-Known Member

This is VERY insightful. I see a manic-depressive cycle in the lives of this family, now that you point it out. Manic = let's go to Disneyland, let's go to Vegas and have a wedding! (three times), let's move to California, let's spend way more money than we have, and depressive = forget or refuse to feed the kids, chain them to the bed, neglect the house, hoard things.

Overlay all that with religion and psychosis and you have a giant mess.

8. Hope4More

Hope4More Well-Known Member

I very much hope that their hope is realistic. But....can't help but be reminded of the older Fritzl ("dungeon") kids. The youngest, Stefan (I think he was 7 when they were finally freed) apparently was able to recover fully, but the older kids (both teenagers) were not so fortunate.

IMO it's difficult to imagine, sadly, that the oldest kids (in their 20's) will ever be fully whole or OK, given how long they were cut off from normality, physically and emotionally tormented, and forced to witness their many younger siblings being subjected to the same abuse.

9. rsd1200

rsd1200 If there's no link, it's just my own 2¢.

BBM
    Oops! I didn't know you were in here?! Did not hear that running water! Geeze, just let me grab a couple things, wanna chat? :eek:hoh: uhmm hmmm. The Aunt is very fortunate that she was not found chained to a bed too.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/aunt-13-siblings-allegedly-held-captive-years-touch/story?id=52401005

10. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Someone else brought up Russell Silver syndrome or Turners. I researched Russell Silver, having never heard of it before and it makes some sense. Who knows? I;m sure the doctors will do testing.

You know in other cases where children were confined or locked away there was speculation that they may have had some learning or other issues that the parents felt shame about or did not know how to cope with, which was part of the chain of events that led to the later abuse.

Thank you for saying that. I really hate when we try to make a case more horrific than it might be without evidence of anything worse. It's lurid. And truly this case is mind-bogglingly bad enough.

11. Inthedetails

I'm sorry this is bringing up difficult memories and issues. It's a reminder that mistreatment of others and suffering reaches far. Take your time with this case - and also thank you for alerting us to a possible connection.

:grouphug:

12. Iona

Iona Well-Known Member

Never underestimate the power of human strength,courage, and love.
    I need to add one more thing, let’s all remember that while they are now “free to grow and think like normal humans “,they will also be curious (and sensitive) about everything, including themselves, what people say and what people think... Websleuths and the big wide web is just a click away, please be sensitive to that fact when questioning certain things and how you phrase them. They are the biggest story in the world right now, let’s be sensitive to the fact that they are people with feelings that have been damaged and hurt enough...

13. enelram

enelram Well-Known Member

In the press conference I believe it was the M.D. said all the children would need to be treated for PTSD.
    I can't imagine that there won't be lifelong emotional scars on the bulk of these offspring.

14. msphilosopher

msphilosopher Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like David Turpin's mother is in denial and has been in denial about her son for a very, very long time.

15. DakotaMayi

DakotaMayi Former Member

Thank you lona, for this post and sharing your experience with us here. I am so sorry you had to experience this. We are all here in support of you, whether we are in a different town, different city or different state entirely. :grouphug:

16. seattlechiquita

seattlechiquita Well-Known Member

I can't even with "grandma". For real.

I hope all the kids/adults are recovering some strength. I pray for their integration into a real loving family; but I can anticipate keeping them together will prove pretty hard to do.

17. Jealoushe

Jealoushe Well-Known Member

sooooo...what is with the hair cuts on the men?

18. Coffeequeen

Coffeequeen Member

I think that's a definite possibility but IMO they wouldn't be as controlled and obedient in public. I didn't see any hyperactive behavior in any of the kids in the videos I saw. Of course I'm sure some of that is due to abuse, but from what I know about FAS I think it would be hard to "abuse" the FAS behaviors out of a child. I know many FAS kids due to our involvement with adoption and in general, the parents have a very hard time with them. I could be wrong. MOO

19. Inthedetails

I'm thinking what you're thinking. I think severe depression and manic episodes are a big part of this. They don't explain everything, but I do think depression/mania is a factor.

I think the mom had high hopes with each new child....only to be overcome with the responsibilities of motherhood. She drowned in the responsibilities - and part of drowning was surrounding herself with the hoards of stuff and grime. Once in awhile she would bounce up big and they'd go to Vegas. And then back down.

I think she was incapable from the start to run a household and it spiraled and spiraled and spiraled down.

Don't know about the father, though. I think he was just sorta "there." Others are seeing a patriarch, but I'm seeing a passive man. THIS IS SPECULATION probably based on the dorky haircut, which I admit is flimsy evidence! :slap:

jmo

20. osu

osu Well-Known Member

Catching up and not sure if this has been posted yet, but here’s a YouTube video of the Turpin’s California home and backyard filmed from over the back fence by the neighbors.
    In a few of the photos you can see inside what looks like the kitchen area. Boxes and boxes of diapers and other things stacked up in there.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gj46zG3ZJA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.