CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
We might want to start imagining what might be nice to make an apartment a home if you had no experience with the world. What pictures would you put on the wall? How would you stock the kitchen? Plants? A pet? Top priority food (aka snacks) groups for young adults?

The adults are still under the purview of Adult Protective Services, though, right? So my hope is that there will still be people outside of the Assisted Living monitoring the situation. The worst abuses at places like this come when unscrupulous or apathetic staff knows that no one is looking out for residents.

I'm also hoping that separation of the children was done by design and in consideration of their respective needs rather than simply because of not having an adequate way of keeping them together. Beyond concerns about independence, amount of attention devoted to individual needs, etc., it has also occurred to me that, while it is very sweet to think of all of these siblings having unambiguously close and loving relationships with one another, that may well not be the case. When you read testimony of Holocaust survivors, one of the terribly dehumanizing elements of the camps that people don't always think of is the way desperation could override someone's normally compassionate and giving nature. Yes, in any situation, there may be heroes who share their crust of bread with someone even weaker, but there are also going to be starving people fighting each other for that final bit of food. In fact, the latter is going to be a lot more common than the former. So I always want to take a step back when I see posts speculating about Survivor 1 giving her food to the others or Survivor 8 finding the strength to escape primarily for her siblings' sake. Because that may be true, but it may not be -- and these children are blameless survivors even if their response to their captivity wasn't always as heroic as we'd like it to be.

I think that there is no way that we as outsiders can know what the family dynamics were. I would not be surprised if DT and LT used some of the children as their 'enforcers' or 'lieutenants' in order to maintain complete control over the siblings. This is maybe why the outside world would see a few of the children from time to time, i.e., as a reward for being the 'enforcers.' What I find so heroic is that the 17 year old, one of the middle children, was the one who escaped. She is such a hero in my mind! We have no way of knowing, but I think it would be overwhelming for any of them to get much individual attention if the 13 were for example to go to a temporary home with two caregivers. Hopefully some thought has gone into what is going to happen to the children and adults, but because this is such a rare situation, there are probably no experts in the field to help guide the medical staff and state staff on what steps to follow.

How I just wish these family members would stop talking to the media. What a load of c**p is getting reported. IMOO

You want the family members to stop talking? Why?

If they were planning on moving within days, who all were going to drive the 4 vehicles? Were they going to just leave one or two? Were they going to have a couple shipped to where they were going? Just curious....plus, wasn't one of the older children seen driving by a neighbor?

I was curious about that on move to CA from TX can't remember if had 3rd veh then but could have towed mustang with U-Haul but not sure this time across country.

I tend to agree but I am wondering what kind of service out there could provide such a thing? I am a former social worker and I can honestly say that my state doesn't offer any of kind foster care or living situation like that for adults. The closest that we come are group homes for the disabled, which are a little different from assisted living facilities or nursing homes (both of which have been discussed here). We aren't really equipped to handle adults that come from this kind of situation. Foster care ends at age 18. I would imagine that it is like that across the US because I have never heard differently.

It ends at 18 in Ky.

I don't have time to track down the articles right now. But first there was a report (probably mistaken, but MSM none the less) that a single foster home had stepped up for all. Then followed reports that there was one for the adults and one for the minors.

Both of these reports were then widely discussed in here, which is why it's too difficult to track the exact reports because there are too many mentions of the search terms I would need to use (and same with Google).

So take it as my opinion if need be, since I don't have time to track something like that with the overabundance of cover using these search terms.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I didn’t want my fantasy of neighboring homes (adults and kids) to turn into a fact on this board.

When a foster home was announced, it was for two homes for the kids (i.e. not the adults). The arrangements may now have changed.

FWIW, IVs are not supplied in a SNF. They would need to be in a hospital proper to receive IV meds.

Some SNF do administer IV fluids and medications. My dght is an RN supervisor at an LTAC. There are also LTAC facilities that will provide care for vent patients and other specific care needs. Things have changed in many facilities so that now they have to provide basic skills like IV therapy to be competitive.

Staff of websleuths are all out with the flu and I am too new to start a thread myself it seems. It may be a couple days

Let us know. I have run into mention of Hephzibah House in the past, and some others in the same state (and other states). I have some opinions about what allows such places to continue and fly under all protective radar.

I'm not sure these people care. People who never even clean their house, might do just about anything. IMHO. If they wanted the vehicles, they could have transported them, in a number of different ways.

Do you have link that they didn't bring their vehicles from Texas? Because bankruptcy documents say different and someone posted more of later doc.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-turpin-public-life-20180124-story.html

"James Turpin, David Turpin's father, told the Southern California News Group that he and his wife visited the family about six years ago when they lived in Murrieta and stayed for five days.

He saw nothing wrong, he said.

"Everyone was loving and kind. The children were happy," James Turpin said."

There have been some contradictions in the stories we've seen. If the above is true, wouldn't this relative have noticed that the children lacked basic knowledge, like what a police officer is, or what medication is? Some stories said that the 17-year-old who escaped and called 911 didn't know what a pill was.

(I hope this makes sense. I hate ending sentences with "is" and "was"!)

I agree. At first we were supposed to believe the 17yo--and therefore all the kids---had only had a 1st grade education.

Now we learn that the parents arranged for the oldest son to attend college, where he maintained a nearly-perfect gpa. (He wasn't taking the hardest courses in the world, but I imagine any accredited college is going to make homeschooled children who can't prove academic rigor take remedial classes to show they are college-ready.)

We learn that two of the daughters would be out of the home getting mail at the mailbox.

We learn that they participated in a Christmas decoration contest, and five of the children attended the award ceremony. It's not like they were recluses, necessarily. A recluse would not participate in neighborhood events.

They've taken kids out to Las Vegas and Disneyland, Krispy Kreme donuts, pictures by the lake.

This paints a far different picture to the one given by the DA, who made it sound like they were living in a dungeon.

I don't know what to think at this point. I do believe the children were not given adequate nutrition or medical/dental care. As I said before, we've only scratched the surface of this case, and the information we've been given so far is highly tilted in favor of the state's position.

This is slightly off topic, but one of my brothers had a seizure and then was unresponsive for a while overnight. He is now in the hospital while they try to figure out what’s going on (he has a history of a brain tumor, so anything like this is potentially serious). I am at the airport preparing to leave on a work trip. We haven’t lived together for over 35 years and we are at opposite ends of the political spectrum, but I would give anything to be by his side right now. I can’t imagine how this feels for the children. [emoji22]

We might want to start imagining what might be nice to make an apartment a home if you had no experience with the world. What pictures would you put on the wall? How would you stock the kitchen? Plants? A pet? Top priority food (aka snacks) groups for young adults?

Everything about this is so sad. None of the victims even have basic life skills. Things that so many of us take for granted. This is almost unbearable to think about. This stuff isn’t supposed to happen.

Can somebody explain what assisted living consists of? When i first read it i immediately thought it was the equivalent to our supported living over here in the UK. I've managed a few supported living schemes and thought it would be a marvellous idea for the adults and in taking their first steps to normality.

Over here Supported living schemes consist of a house or unit where individuals can be supported to learn the necessary skills for daily living - help with meal planning, cooking skills, managing personal hygiene, cleaning, travel training, budgetting etc. Individuals have their own rooms for private space and communal areas. Staff are on hand the majority of the time if not 24/7 and service users have designated 1:1 time for focussed suppirt on areas identified in their individual care plans. In addition other professionals such as counsellors, medical professionals etc can readily come in amd work with the individuals as requested.

Normally supported living is the second step in becoming independent. The first being residential care (where people are unable to undertake any independent living themselves or have very veru few skills) and the last step being outreach where individuals move in to their own accommodation and recieve a set amount of hours support each week to work on the few areas they may still have trouble with.

If assisted living in the US is in any way similar i think its a great idea. It shows hope that the older children have some skills or the capacity to learn the skills required needed for living independntly at some point in the future and enables them to learn these skills in a safe environement with dedicated support tailored to their individual needs

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have been in supported living units in the UK and assisted living units in the US. They seem identical to me, except in the US you can’t get an assisted living unit on the banks of the Thames and watch the ships go by from your balcony.

In the US assisted living is mostly for 55+.

I'm having a little problem with this "conservative Christian" concept. What a masquerade, huh?
We need to stop worrying so much about homeschooling and focus instead on these, ahem, "conservative Christian" reformatory schools. What a load of garbage.

Oops. It's too late to fix. I somehow messed up the quote and lost my reply. These are not my words, but I'm too tired to rewrite my reply. Apologies for this.

ETA - here was my reply
I don't believe the Turpin case to be about conservative Christianity. Their lifestyle did not match up with fundamentalist Christian values.

Note: I'm blaming this fiasco with the quotes on the cats. I caught one standing on a post earlier, and I think they sent that earlier message.

I wish the split could have gone more like this in the beginning:

2 or 3 foster homes with a couple of minors and a couple of adults each so that the kids could get parent figures, and the adults be treated as adults but able to see proper parenting and care.

Then move on to assisted living.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members