CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods, we're at 1115 posts, and need a new thread when you have time.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Closing thread in a moment for a new thread. Standby

Thank you...I did find this from AP

“Severe, emotional, physical abuse,” Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said in announcing numerous charges against David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49. “This is depraved conduct.”

Prosecutors filed 12 counts of torture, seven counts of dependent adult abuse, six counts of child abuse and 12 counts of false imprisonment against the couple. David Turpin was additionally charged with one count of a lewd act on a child under age 14.

The victims range in age from 2 to 29. The charges involve acts in Riverside County dating to 2010.

The torture and false imprisonment charges do not include the 2-year-old, Hestrin said."

My point remains the same - these headlines are sensational, and for no other reason than to garner clicks.

I am wondering if the lewd act is on one of their children or a child outside the family?

The lewd act was against one of the children. There was a link to the sheet of indictments floating around, one not everyone could open (I think it was restricted to US users). It was then put into a google link. I read it but did not save, however the link should still be in previous threads. It identified each count individually as well as the first three letters of each child’s name plus “T” for the surname, indicating which charge related to which child. Not sure if anyone has that link still handy?

I take your point. However, in some states, there has been growing awareness of the needs of kids who "age out" of foster care at age 18. A kid with a stable family, even if they move out at age 18 still has a family for back up, may still be on the family phone plan, have a parent paying college tuition, etc. Locally, the mental health system was becoming overloaded with kids who fell apart when they lost their foster kid status. So, as a solution, there have been various things talked about or put in place. One is extending foster care to age 21. Another is to provide an assisted living variation (especially if the former-foster has a baby) to help ease the transition. So, my hope would be that this is the kind of help they are getting. Not the same exactly as what you are suggesting (an actual FAMILY), but still could be in something like the same ball park.
They didnt specify the type of assisted living. I magine they will have case workers who will be involved. Here we have stages of involvement, from in-house 24/7 care, to home care, to a follow along program with a case worker who sees them 2 or 3 times a week and teaches them to clean and shop and bank.

Hey there!! It was the 17 yr old that escaped not 29. And there is a count for the 2 yr old.

But it's quotes like this from DA, yet here we have 1 going to CC and accounts from neighbor of one driving Jetta, and most of all a 17 yr old who cut screen, escaped and used a non working phone to call 911?

"It appears to me that they lacked any kind of understanding about how the world worked," Hestrin said." http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/da-seeks-bar-parents-contacting-13-kids-captive-52571131

I am just lurking here but I would say that they obviously had glimpses of the outside world.
Other than that, I have been isolated for most of my childhood and adolescence. Isolated as in not allowed to have normal contact with my peers but of course, I wasn't held captive, not nearly to that degree as described in this case.
But what I'm getting at is, for roughly two years after not having any kind of normal contact with people outside, I had immense problems to articulate myself, nor did I know how to talk to people properly. I felt like an alien.
Now, my situation is not comparable to theirs but if I imagine their situation to be much, much worse, I think it is safe to say that most of these survivors don't know how to articulate their thoughts and might not know how to go about interacting with others. This might look as if they don't know how the "world works". And on top of that they were indeed isolated, even if they were allowed occasional trips outside. That's not enough to develop a coherent view of how things work in the world.

That's just speculation on my part. But the point is abuse and isolation and control work in complex and misterious ways on you cognitively and mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member