CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #7

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Lucy's mom, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Here you go Spelly and Anosmia:

Third Grade Classmate of Tortured Turpin Kid Reveals How She Was Bullied for "Smelling Like Poop"

While most people are transfixed on the horrific crimes of Louise and David Turpin, one person couldn't stop thinking about Jennifer Turpin, one of the tortured daughters of the appallingly abusive parents. Taha Muntajibuddin was a third-grade classmate of Jennifer in Texas, and he took to Facebook on Jan. 24 to share her story, and a message about kindness...."

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/taha-muntajibuddin-facebook-jennifer-turpin-152309

(ETA: this may be already posted)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. ilovepierre

ilovepierre One day, the lost will be found

SBM

I don't have a problem with it, either.
    My brother has only been to our family doctor once, and he's almost 6.
    If he is sick with more than just a cold, my mom takes him to the walk-in clinic in town.
    He has all his immunizations, but they were done by a nurse at the walk-in clinic.

Unless there's a real need to see a doctor, most people (kids included) just don't go.

IMO

3. mtnlites

mtnlites President of the Imaginary Friends' Club

What about if there was a question as to sexual assault and/or molestation? If it was suspected that one of the children did not belong to the mother but was a result of incest, would that fast track the results? Especially since it would result in additional charges.

Note: I am not suggesting that this is the case. I honestly believe that the youngest really does belong to LT. I was just presenting a hypothetical.

4. TeaTime

TeaTime Well-Known Member

Walk-in clinics have MDs in the US.

5. vlpate

vlpate Sleuther with a porpoise

The reality show was TIC, just fyi. I think we have only to look back at Jaycee Dugard, Elizabeth Smart, and other survivors of similar torture and abuse. They will be fine, as long as they aren't constantly triggered by the sensational stories that will forever be online.

Someone said they are probably being kept from the Internet and media (TV), being watched closely - that's just sad, even if it's best.

6. ilovepierre

IMO, I don't think so.
    DT and LT are already being held on other charges right now.
    Determining whether the youngest is LT's or one the children's isn't critical at the moment.
    Charges can always be upgraded later.
    IANAL, so I could be totally wrong here...

IMO

7. mtnlites

Or at least NPs. Our walk-in doesn't have an MD but they do have nurses and nurse practitioners.

8. ilovepierre

Same in Canada.
    The point I was trying to make is that walk-in clinics have doctors who are on call. They aren't the child's family doctor.
    I took it to mean that the children had never been to a family doctor in the past 4 years.
    I wasn't very clear in my post, sorry.

9. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Kindness matters - always

I believe it means they haven't had any medical care at all in years. Imagine 13 kids - and none ever needed medical care during that time?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10. rsd1200

rsd1200 If there's no link, it's just my own 2¢.

I wondered if something was different about the Murrieta place. They were renting. The Murrieta place is the place where DT's family visited, and said it was not dirty and it seemed fine. The Ts may have taken better care of the place there so as not to have been taken to court, and have folks snooping into their business. That's different than bankruptcy. They'd have a local landlord who was p*ssed and ready to show photos.

They moved to Murietta at some point in 2010 (That home sold on 6/7/2017 for $398,000 and it has 6 br & 3 baths). The date they went to Disney with his family was in August of 2011.

If they trashed that home in Murrieta, like they did the TX home, and the owner went after them, in court, it could have thrown red flags all over the place. LT may not have realized that but DT likely would have. The only thing I've found, from Murietta, is the neighbor who saw the kids marching, upstairs, at night. No landlord talking about a trashed house, or dead pets, no pictures of black walls, and disgusting carpets, etc...

If that's the case, that shows that they could possibly be "normal" if they wanted. Which would make this even worse. What if the kids had a few years of sorta, kinda, not as bad, til they moved to Perris? Then they bought that house and the routine starts again, and worse.

Some of us had asked, in school one day, if it's so bad in "X" country, why don't all the people band together and take over? Our teacher had told us, if you've never tasted ice cream, you won't know to crave ice cream. Along with fear of the unknown, better the devil you know than the devil you don't. (loosely quoting from long, long, ago).

Two years of planning. Several of the kids get together and say; Nope, no more. Two went out, one managed to keep going. If they'd lived, even for awhile, in a bit better conditions, they'd have tasted the ice cream, so to speak. Just thinking... :thinking:

Time: Info on the Turpins
    http://time.com/5109576/david-louise-turpin-case-what-to-know/

Edit: I think the free'd children are 11 y.o. - Survivor #12; 13 y.o. - Survivor #11; and the 22 y.o. is Survivor # 4

11. mtnlites

That's definitely the big honking red flag. My daughter hasn't seen a doctor in more than 2 years. (My son, in contrast, is in there all the time.) I could maybe give them a pass if it was just a couple of them but 13? You KNOW they haven't ALL been super healthy in that time period. Ugh.

12. Spellbound

Spellbound falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus

Thank you, Y/ N ! :tyou:

13. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

Or satisfying.

14. Leila

Leila Active Member

I think that's a possibility too.

15. rsd1200

All of us, my kids included, got our shots at the local Health Dept (free when I was a child). I didn't/don't go to the doctor or the dentist unless something I just must. The health dept would even administer allergy shots. I have a family doctor but a lot of folks I know don't have a regular family doctor any longer. They just find a nearby walk-in clinic (cheaper if you don't have insurance).

16. rsd1200

I know he meant well, but, ouch... I honestly hope she never sees that. I'd not want to read that about me.

17. kelynn

kelynn Member

Does the "not seen a doctor in 4 years" statement include the birth of the 2 year old?? LE said all children were born in hospital.

18. JaneEyre

JaneEyre Kindness matters - always

I'm assuming they mean for check ups and illnesses, not the birth.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

19. Alireba

Alireba New Member

This is the 17year old who escaped. She/ Jor T is referenced in count 13 regarding lewd acts by DT for the year of 2012-2013.
    She may not be the only sibling to have experienced this.
    There is reference by LT’s sister that he would watch her in the shower and that she felt very weird and that he was amused.

20. Amonet

Amonet Well-Known Member

There's something I wanted to comment on, and the bolded part here seems relevant to me.

It's the thing about the eldest son reportedly telling LT outside the college that he wanted permission to be friends with another student, and LT's response was to say "whatever" and drive off, and then he never went to that class again.

It reminds me of the words that LT's father is reported to have used to her when she left home to get married at 16 to DT, something like "you've made your choice, you've chosen him, so...go and be with him".

I can imagine the son being told, through feelings as much as words, that he had to choose to be with LT and that had to be exclusive, you can't have a mom *and* have friends outside the house. It's emotional manipulation and emotional abuse, and we 'know' that must have been a huge part of their lives because even when the siblings had some small amount of apparent freedom or contact with people outside the nuclear family, they didn't tell anyone what was going on, it was ingrained in them to keep to the rules.

And from other perspectives, the eldest son apparently 'chose' someone who didn't have friends as the person he would like to be friends with. To me, I wonder if that's a little bit of human empathy coming out in him, that he'd seen someone else who seemed marginalized in the peer group and wanted to help both himself and the other person be eased from that marginalization through mutual friendship? Did he maybe even think to himself that he had 12 'friends' at home, yet this person didn't seem to have anyone? That could be a good sign for these young people's futures if they have this empathy for others inside them. Ironically, if the siblings are constantly watching out for the moods of their parents/captors, they might be quite sensitive to the moods of others. There's good and bad things about this level of empathy as I think it can contribute to depressive states, but the ability to empathize is a positive thing, and despite the forced segregation from 'outsiders' this might be a sign that they want to have friends outside the family and they want to be kind to other people, even if they're people who they're technically 'banned' from interacting with.

In the Krispy Kreme photo, there's a lot of thinking going on in that young man's head from the look on his face, far more than is apparent from the happy masks in the family group photos, I think he's assessing the situation, and again that's a skill those siblings probably 'had' to learn for survival inside the home. For all the life skills they might lack, these siblings might have very good skills in other areas, skills that might not be taught in schools or in a lot of homes the siblings might have had to develop for themselves.

There seems to be a significant percentage of people on these boards at WS who have had past traumas, and on the boards they're highly empathetic, thoughtful and caring individuals. It just shows that trauma will leave a lasting mark not only in negative ways but also it can leave positive things for a person, and part of the challenge, I think, is to find the positives and bring them out and utilize them, and I think that goes for everyone. We're not clones, whether it's math, cooking, people skills, we're all a bit better in one area than another, and too often we focus on our shortcomings--and the shortcomings of others--without looking for the positives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.