CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking out loud about this terrible situation...

How will the survivors move on when they are no longer in hospitals or care facilities? How long will the care actually last for the adult-aged victims? Will they change their names? I'm wondering if they will be able to live normal lives (as normal as possible for people who have been through so much) when they will be easily recognized and their names are not difficult to find out? It concerns me that they will try to go on to school, work, relationships, community living, etc., and their battles will be difficult enough without everyone they ever meet already knowing salacious and humiliating details of their lives under their parents' care.
I thought, even in the beginning, that some of them might want to change their names, but not so much because of the media attention. I think it might be helpful for some of them to just symbolically disconnect from, remove the link to, their parents. Clean slate.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't have the energy to be outraged about harmless slip-ups, myself. The community cares. This is an unprecedented situation for them. I'm sure the staff is having difficulty not mentioning anything at all about this when they have likely been overwhelmed daily with new, appalling knowledge. These are people I can cut some slack - the helpers, especially when no harm was done. It's just a darned toothbrush.

Allow these children some dignity and privacy somewhere. Geez

I'm not disallowing it.

I'm just saying why I'm not outraged at helpers making relatively small slip ups during a stressful situation.

JMO
Since they already have separate defense teams I expect one of them will eventually turn on the other and agree to testify against them in order to try to get a better deal for themselves.

I hope the DA holds strong and doesnt allow any plea deals like that because I think the DA will have plenty of evidence from the children without having to rely on any sort of deal like that.

But it wont surprise me if that happens.

I thought, even in the beginning, that some of them might want to change their names, but not so much because of the media attention. I think it might be helpful for some of them to just symbolically disconnect from, remove the link to, their parents. Clean slate.

I think that would definitely be helpful for them, but at the same time, with the entire planet knowing their last name and at least some of their first names, can you imagine going on a job interview? Trying to get a date? I just feel like they'd forever be THE TURPIN KIDS and it would be so hard to live in the world with everyone knowing what happened to you. I'd like to think people they meet will take them as they are, but it doesn't always work that way, unfortunately.

It's already been stated in the media that all of the children are biologically theirs. I think we can put this idea to rest.

No, it was stated authorities are going to do dna tests on all the family members.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hospitals in most states do provide the media with condition reports on patients brought in by taxpayer-provided transport.

This explains what they can say as far as "condition" under HIPPA
https://www.haponline.org/Newsroom/Media/HIPAA-Guidelines
CONDITION DEFINITIONS

For the one-word condition, hospitals generally use the terms “undetermined,” “good,” “fair,” “serious,” or “critical.” Definitions of patient conditions are as follows:
  • Undetermined—Patient is awaiting physician and/or assessment
  • Good—Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
  • Fair—Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious, but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
  • Serious—Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
  • Critical—Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.

"Hospitals will not issue statements on sexual assaults, child abuse"

Good grief

House of Horrors Kids Didn't Know How to Brush Their Teeth | PEOPLE.com
People.com › crime › turpin-siblings-hou...
“I don't think the kids even knew what a toothbrush was,” says Bobby Spiegel, president and CEO of the Corona Chamber of Commerce. “My understanding is the nurses had to teach the ..."

"I think" and "it is my understanding"

Even so, i still think it's a bold and easily misunderstood statement to make. It has clearly come from somewhere, some sort of presumably, privileged information. I fail to see why you don't think it could be intrusive.

I have to agree. I get that everyone has the right to share their experiences and opinions on these poor people, but out of respect to them, I don't think the world needs to know every nuance of their troubles.

It's already been stated in the media that all of the children are biologically theirs. I think we can put this idea to rest.

You are correct, it was stated in one of the press conferences.

No, it was stated authorities are going to do dna tests on all the family members.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought one of the articles posted today stated that all 13 children were their biological children? Perhaps the article was posting an assumption.

I doubt DNA testing is complete and I also seriously doubt LE will share the DNA results with the media.

Even so, i still think it's a bold and easily misunderstood statement to make. It has clearly come from somewhere, some sort of presumably, privileged information. I fail to see why you don't think it could be intrusive.

I think it is totally intrusive. Imagine how these kids are going to feel seeing these headlines....add to that the heartless bullies on social media.

Even if true...how does it reach the level of a story in People?

I know what you're saying in the great scheme of things, but honestly, it didn't really need to be said did it, certainly not at this point. It's only been said, in my opinion, to satiate the public.

In my opinion, it just humiliates them further in some peoples' eyes. There's always going to be some dick ready to have a go at them etc...

You know the public is legitimately concerned for these children. I know people are often morbidly curious. Hopefully a lot can be kept private. best case scenario is a plea deal and nothing further comes out, frankly. But people in the community have truly shown their horror and empathy for these kids and i truly feel that's what the officials are responding to.

Also I think the kids have been unaware of the media interest. They have been very secluded, apparently, for most of their lives. I don't believe they have access to the internet yet. And someone is with them 24 hours a day so they likely are making sure they don't see the news.

Hopefully they will receive new names and no one will be aware as to who they are.

Finally, the shame is not theirs. That belongs to the monsters who did this to them.

But your point about bullying is well taken.

I don't think the chamber of Commerce guy said it to satiate the public. I think he said it because he feels overwhelmed by this, and let slip a tiny bit of why - how completely in the dark these kids are about how things work. I don't think he had bad intentions at all, and I think it was a slip-up.

Fair enough. You're probably right. In my opinion, as a professional, he should know better.

Regarding the DNA, when you have people who are this despicable, and who were able to hide so much, you want to double check that these kids do, in fact, belong to them.

Let's say there's a record of her giving birth to the two year old. Still better check that THIS is the same kid she gave birth to, and not one she bought or snagged off the street because she accidentally killed hers.

I think they are smart to double check.

I won't even get into speculating about other reasons for it because I don't want the kids to ever read that kind of thing here - not from me.

This explains what they can say as far as "condition" under HIPPA
https://www.haponline.org/Newsroom/Media/HIPAA-Guidelines
CONDITION DEFINITIONS

For the one-word condition, hospitals generally use the terms “undetermined,” “good,” “fair,” “serious,” or “critical.” Definitions of patient conditions are as follows:
  • Undetermined—Patient is awaiting physician and/or assessment
  • Good—Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
  • Fair—Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious, but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
  • Serious—Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
  • Critical—Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.

"Hospitals will not issue statements on sexual assaults, child abuse"

The hospital has not released the first names of the children and staff have described their medical conditions in broad terms. Brushing teeth is a behavioral issue and even there, they did not identify by name. They haven't broken any laws, imo.

Thinking out loud about this terrible situation...

How will the survivors move on when they are no longer in hospitals or care facilities? How long will the care actually last for the adult-aged victims? Will they change their names? I'm wondering if they will be able to live normal lives (as normal as possible for people who have been through so much) when they will be easily recognized and their names are not difficult to find out? It concerns me that they will try to go on to school, work, relationships, community living, etc., and their battles will be difficult enough without everyone they ever meet already knowing salacious and humiliating details of their lives under their parents' care.

I worry about that all the time. I'm thinking they will all get new hairstyles and that will do a lot to make them less recognizable.

Sadly, the intense care they will need to begin functioning in society after so much systemic abuse and deprivation is likely much more than the state will be able to provide.

The only case I have heard of where the level of care necessary was given is in Jaycee Dugard and her daughters' case. But they won a few million form the state for the parole monitoring travesty. I'm sure they used a lot of that on that therapeutic horse ranch where they were able to work intensively and reintegrate into a society in a serene setting,with animal therapy and anonymity.

I wish something like that for these sweet kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong