CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone is eligible for and receives disability payments or SSI, they can use some of their funds for music lessons. Therapy is probably covered under Medicaid.

How much are the payments? Medicaid? That does not cover much. Some places do not even take it because the reimbursement is so low.

No I don't expect government disability to pay for music lessons but at some point he will qualify for a grant and back to college? Medicaid pays for physical therapy if it is prescribed. And there are mental health services that are free to qualifying individuals.

I don’t know of any grants that provide a free ride to college. I wonder who paid for his classes? If loans were taken out, he cannot attend school until those are repaid.

Doesn’t appear to be that “steady”. See the pic below.

a26eaf01be4263e0de864b325455f2cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cutting a screen wouldn't be too difficult, but getting hold of the proper tool probably took a bit.

I keep thinking that it was the move - the packing of boxes and such - that allowed her to get hold of the phone, charger, and cutting tool. If the parents had already packed certain things, they would not notice them having gone missing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I am working on a new thread. Should be ready to go in about 15 minutes.

When a new thread is posted and you don't see a post brought over that you feel is something that would be helpful to the discussion please alert on that post and and request it to be moved to the new thread.

Dang that was a long sentence. Hope it made sense :crazy:

Tricia

They are going to have effects forever, but remember this was planned for two years, Maybe some siblings were left out of the plan.

Remember that the chaining started because one of the children got out of his ropes. Maybe each child got love and attention as a baby and that has given them some kind of fortitude.

The oldest girl may have stories of the freedom when she was allowed to,play outside. They saw Disneyland and Vegas. They must have stayed overnight somewhere that was not filled with filth.
Also the big one we have not discussed. Some may not think it is relevant and that's OK. But they have had God's word, they have memorized it and it is in their hearts. That has sustained many people over many years and it can lift them up beyond their circumstances too and heal their wounds.

<snip>
A lot of companies have plans where preventative types of care is very cheap or even free. I think it is possible this will be used against them in court, particularly for the younger children. But, that is just a guess of mine that this could help show willful neglect. IDK for sure.

SBM. I totally agree. Due to job changes over the years we've been on 4 different dental insurance plans and every one of which had 100% coverage for semi-annual checkups/cleaning and the deductibles didn't apply to those. I know not all plans do this and dental coverage is always convoluted, but the companies for whom DT worked had pretty high-end coverage so I cannot imagine cost being a factor as to not taking them in for checkups.

Idk if it's the same everywhere, but my state requires physicals for school enrollment pre-k, kindergarten, 6th, and 9th grades (yearly if they participated in school sports.) Also proof of a dental exam kindergarten, 2nd, and 6th grades. Eye exam kindergarten or first time entering school and then if recommended due to results of yearly vision/hearing screenings.

On any plan I've been on this was a low co-pay and our vision included 100% coverage for one annual eye exam. The cost for them to have given even medical care required by schools would have been negligible; the only explanation I can see is neglect.

Neighbors of the Turpins noticed odd behavior but never suspected that the children were being tortured.

“Julie Olah and Sharon Ontiveros, who also live in the neighborhood, said they were devastated by the news.
"It kills me," Ontiveros said. "It kills me."
Despite the fact that the world is asking how the neighbors didn't see any warning signs, the residents have tried to watch each other's backs, Olah told CNN. "So, when people sit there and try to tell you that, you were monsters, they don't understand the whole situation that was going on here."
The neighborhood has put together 13 large duffel bags with toiletries, hand-crocheted blankets, toys and "all the necessities," Ontiveros said, choking up. They hope to give the bags to the children when they're released from Child Protective Services.“
https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/26/us/turpin-neighbor-family-warning-signs/index.html

Agree. I believe that now is the time that it would most likely be o most concern that they'd catch things. They are going to be exposed to others now, frequently. When I finally got to bring my firstborn home, he was still a very sick baby, and I was not allowed to take him out of the house for a solid year (except dr visits and my parent's home). I had to hire an in-home sitter when I had to go back to work. They said if he caught a cold it may go into pneumonia, and he couldn't fight it off. I had to wait until the doctor gave us permission to take him anywhere. I couldn't even go to the grocery store until some could sit with him.
There is a particularly nasty flu going around the Midwest and part of the South this year. I don't know if it's all over the country, but I, too, had thought about this. I hope they don't immediately encounter a serious illness.

I don't even know if they could have their flu shots yet. It depends on their current health. And I wonder if they ever got all of their basic vaccines as kids, or if they have to start from scratch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don’t know of any grants that provide a free ride to college. I wonder who paid for his classes? If loans were taken out, he cannot attend school until those are repaid.
A Pell Grant pays up to $5900 a yr depending on income which is sufficient for someone to go to community college. If you chose to continue on to a 4 yr school you can qualify for additional grants and scholarships based on grades and need.

The eldest Turpin son “had excelled at his community college and had been named to the honor roll for two semesters, school officials said Thursday. The son, who is in his 20s, attended Mt. San Jacinto College for several years. His mother would bring him to school and wait outside his classes for him, prosecutors said.”

Also members of the family attended a musical performance at the school in May 2016.
“The small group of family members took up almost half a row of seats and they were all wearing matching outfits - blue shirts and tan pants.”
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/turpin-son-california-abuse-case-excelled-at-school-officials-say/

No offense to anyone, but I think that there is a huge miscomception as to what people in poverty get as services.These adults will be in poverty. Hopefully they will be in a group home. Where I lived in MN, homes for people with cognitive issues were lovely. Some had issues because some residents were violent.

My grandson works in a great one while he attends college.

I am not sure what kind of education they could get that would get them a job that paid a lot. But it could happen.

My hope is that they can make millions from book and movie rights. That way they could get the high quality of care and therapy they need.

A Pell Grant pays up to $5900 a yr depending on income which is sufficient for someone to go to community college. If you chose to continue on to a 4 yr school you can qualify for additional grants and scholarships based on grades and need.

Tuition, books, transportation, living expenses. How far would $5900 get?

I have three children who attended college. All students I know owe at least $30,000.

While I understand your frustration, and I certainly hope that no jury takes any kind of pity on them, I am actually happy that we live in a country that can provide defense attorneys to those who need them and that we follow the "innocent until proven guilty" mantra (even if it doesn't always work out that way). The defense attorneys were appointed, they most likely didn't choose to take on this case. In addition, even though what these two people are accused of is vile, they are still entitled to a good defense and fair trial. If we strip those rights from the people we dislike then, eventually, it becomes stripped for all of us because then it becomes subjective. And one day we might need those rights ourselves.

Ditto. As much as I loathe these two I value our constitution. I don't want to live in Saudi Arabia.

I keep bouncing in between euphoria, they don't have to worry if they are going to get beat and they can eat, and scared to death missing their parents and siblings.

I have feeling they are not missing their parents. Somehow I think they realize how evil those two are.

snipped

I think they will plea out. I can't see this matter going to trial with a dozen witnesses who lived through it.

You underestimate the narcissistic confidence of a psychopath.

Here is the new thread. Please continue on Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member