CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quoting myself: difficult to get sharper close up on iPad editor, but I think this is a ink smudge as the color is consistent in the photo, and the drawing is loose cartoon drawn by a visually skilled person.

I don't think it is a kids drawing because of the height, scale, and in Texas, how many kids were there and what were their ages... They were very young at this time? Just some thoughts.

In regard to the photo with the drawing on the wall. Could be done by first child and is a representation of the mother- each circle represents another baby, her getting larger, her forgetting the center (most compact, but most
Filled in circle) most filled in first circle in the center- the first child. With each baby, to the daughter she grows uglier and meaner. Could be another of he children just drawing mom and her appetite for more children- to them she becomes a greedy monster. Could be way off base but could fit

The center instead of a bullseye could be the child’s representation of a baby in moms stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of observations on this drawing.

It looks like there is feces smeared in the very center of the concentric circles.

The smear is located in the bottom area where the guts would be if it were a real person.

The nose that was drawn looks like a pig.

The character is very rotund.

The character is frowning.

IMO this character was drawn after one of the kids smeared the feces on the wall. This was a message to the kids in response.

I think it was drawn to be a target..........possibly drawn by a parent....implying that the target kid is piggish and inviting throwing of things at it and defiling it out of scorn for being piggish. Just another cruel perversion. If a parent didn't draw it, then an angry kid did. JMO No one cared about feces on the floor.....why care about them on the wall?

This is an HONEST QUESTION.
Is there a mental disorder related to DISNEY?
Dee Dee Blanchard and Gypsy Rose come to mind.
Her mother chained her to a bed to keep her from running away.
Mom had munchausen by proxy and lived the fame and attention- so a polar opposite, but seriously.
While the movies seem so innocent, they are a little disturbing when you actually get to thinking about them.

THAT whole "Happily Ever After" I'm sure happens for many people, but...

These people who are really obsessed, and I don't mean they visit Disney regularly, I mean the eat, drink, sleep, breathe DISNEY.

THERE may not be yet, but I see a DSM VII or VIII diagnosis in parents who abuse their children that are also DISNEY obsessed.

Fantasmic Magical detachment disorder or similar.
MOO
(If Sigmund Freud were alive today...)
Goodness he'd be a busy man!
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have an acquaintance who has been obsessed with Winnie the Pooh for as long as I’ve known her. She has Pooh books, figurines, T-shirt’s, bumper stickers, just about every tchotchke you can imagine. Interestingly, when her daughter was around 12 yrs old, she (daughter) wanted to redecorate her room and get rid of the Pooh theme and put up some contemporary posters- Jonas Bros and other teen paraphernalia. My friend wouldn’t let her. Her rationale was that Pooh has a sweet and caring theme and she was going to keep her daughter innocent as long as she could. I always thought it was very odd and hoped it wouldn’t all backfire on her one day.

In art and design, concentric circles are used to pull your eye to the center. Create a focal point. Contain and isolate what is in the center. IMHO I think that is fecal matter.

Could be right. Not sure if this is a B&W photo, or not. (Correction, it is color) see smoke detector. Center looks like thumb smudge swiping left. Also, I notice fainter circles. Looking at blunt beginning of circle and trailing off slightly above, would person who drew it be right handed?

image.jpg
image.jpg

I have an acquaintance who has been obsessed with Winnie the Pooh for as long as I’ve known her. She has Pooh books, figurines, T-shirt’s, bumper stickers, just about every tchotchke you can imagine. Interestingly, when her daughter was around 12 yrs old, she (daughter) wanted to redecorate her room and get rid of the Pooh theme and put up some contemporary posters- Jonas Bros and other teen paraphernalia. My friend wouldn’t let her. Her rationale was that Pooh has a sweet and caring theme and she was going to keep her daughter innocent as long as she could. I always thought it was very odd and hoped it wouldn’t all backfire on her one day.

I've always thought that, even as a kid. It is cultish behavior that humans have a susceptibility to. Gods, icons, cartoon characters, etc. Magical thinking. JMO

Could be right. Not sure if this is a B&W photo, or not. Center looks like thumb smudge swiping left. Also, I notice fainter circles. Looking at blunt beginning of circle and trailing off slightly above, would person who drew it be right handed?

BBM...

I had noticed the circles that were fainter in the background too. Whoever drew the faint lines may have used pencil at first and it was not dark enough for them.

Looks like a model-dinosaur skeleton.

My sons received one of these dinosaurs for Christmas when they were 7 or 8. The dinosaur had a motion sensor and when triggered, it screamed roarrr, roarr, ROARR! and its head moved back and forth and it walked towards you. My boys were terrified of it. They hid it in the toy room and never used it again. It said in the instructions it could be used for guarding.

I think the picture on the wall was drawn by one of the parents. The kids would have surely been beat for drawing on the wall.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Maybe this has been discussed, but is that drawing meant to represent a bulls eye?

I expect the judge would deny a change of venue, based on no benefit, because of national / international publicity.

Thanks. I didn't realize that changes in venue were rare, actually. I'm happy to be learning more.

How does this fit in with them planning an escape for two,years?

I don't know if I'm missing the point of your comment. The article was not in reference to the Turpin case in particular, just child abuse in general. It shows me some insight into the mindset of a tortuously abused child. I personally view the "planning" as a loosely defined term, here. More than one sibling would hit this 16-18 turning point at the same time. With little means or opportunity to communicate or act, I could see "the plan" sort of percolating for two years. The catalyst for "the plan" or what set it into action that night? Who knows, and certainly that article doesn't address it.

On another note, all of the theories put forth regarding the drawing on the wall are so interesting. I can only imagine how horrible it would be for the kids to see it again. Or maybe it would be validating in some way. Unless they have some effed up photo albums (which I wouldn't put past them at this point) they might only have hazy memories if past homes. *Personal anecdote, I moved a lot as a military kid and seeing pictures of old homes brings back crazy memories - not bad ones, just memories I didn't know were there. Particularly pictures I haven't seen a hundred times, say looking through Grandma's old album. My childhood was before digital. Mom would get doubles sometimes, but still sent different photos to relatives than she put in the albums I cherished looking at as a kid.*

Did anyone notice in the older Disney Pictures, the 3 older girls were wearing different gray shirts than the younger girls and they looked quite tall. In the wedding chapel pictures from 2013, these same girls were wearing high heeled white shows, but in the 2015 pictures, they were back to wearing the very short heels and looked to have lost some of their height, i assume because of the lack of nourishment. It appears there was a major regression about the time they moved to their last property.

As a foster mom, I've seen almost every child I've ever had in my home have a fierce loyalty toward their birth parent(s), regardless of the atrocities they perpetrated against the kids - starvation, locked in dark closets, sexually abused, passed around to friends and family members, locked outside in winter storms, etc.

I have a three-year-old I've had for two years, taken away from her birth parents for many of the above reasons. She still has weekly visits with her birth parents, though they only show up about 50% of the time. Though she views me as her "mama," she would go back to her birth mom in a second if given the chance.

I hope the Turpin kids feel much differently -- all of them

It's so sad.

Jillian, thank you for all you do for these children. You're amazing.

I agree though. A friend of our family is a foster mother, has been or years. She has also also adopted. We often find her distraught that after all the kids go through, at the ends of their birth parents, and all she does to be their mother, they say "when I'm an adult, I'm going to go and find my Mom and live with her... etc etc etc.

They don't mean it to hurt, that's just where their loyalties lie majority of the time.

Stockholm syndrome is when victim identifies with their abuser. It doesn't seem that ES liked her kidnapper very much. In her case it seems she was simply scared to do anything to get away rather than staying with her kidnapper because she identified with him.
Agree.

The police called for the hostages to come out first, but the four captives, protecting their abductors to the very end, refused. Enmark yelled, “No, Jan and Clark go first—you’ll gun them down if we do!” In the doorway of the vault, the convicts and hostages embraced, kissed and shook hands. As the police seized the gunmen, two female hostages cried, “Don’t hurt them—they didn’t harm us.” While Enmark was wheeled away in a stretcher, she shouted to the handcuffed Olofsson, “Clark, I will see you again.”
<Snip>
Even after Olofsson and Olsson returned to prison, the hostages made jailhouse visits to their former captors

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.history.com/news/stockholm-syndrome

ES has never defended her abductor, or visited him in jail, nor refused to testify against him, as the original Stockholm hostages did.
It's also supposed to be extremely rare.
But while Stockholm syndrome has long been featured on police hostage negotiating courses, it is rarely encountered, says Hugh McGowan, who spent 35 years with the New York Police Department.

McGowan was commanding officer and chief negotiator of the Hostage Negotiation Team, which was set up in April 1973 in the wake of a number of hostage incidents that took place in 1972 - the bank heist that inspired the film Dog Day Afternoon, an uprising that came to a violent end at Attica prison in New York and the massacre at the Munich Olympics.

"I would be hard pressed to say that it exists," he says. "Sometimes in the field of psychology people are looking for cause and effect when it isn't there.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22447726

The*FBI's*Hostage Barricade Database System shows that roughly eight percent of victims show evidence of Stockholm syndrome.[3]
<Snip>
Stockholm syndrome is considered a "contested illness", due to many law enforcement officers' doubt about the legitimacy of the condition.[4]
<Snip>
FBI Law Enforcement BulletinEdit

Within this work, writer Fuselier questions the frequency with which Stockholm syndrome actually occurs, as well as the validity of its classifications as a disease or medical condition at all.[4]
<Snip>
Before the fifth edition (DSM-5) was released, Stockholm syndrome was under consideration to be included under 'Disorders of Extreme Stress, Not Otherwise Specified'.[4]The work was updated in 2013, but Stockholm syndrome was not present.[16]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The drawing looks like an obese person with a bullseye. Maybe the parents told the children that their lack of eating was due to dieting. IMO the lack of food/bathing was due to saving money. They filed for bankruptcy twice. My own father was an extremist when it came to saving money. We bathed every other day and had to share the same bath water (even after we were too old to bath together). Luckily there was only the two of us. Sports were seen as throwing money down the drain and a risk since we might quit. Anyways, my dad was a good father otherwise and just was concerned with paying the bills. My dad only has 2 children and resulted to extremes (eating dinner in the dark to save electricity, and not using heat in the winter sleeping with stacks of blankets being other examples). With the family's isolation from normalcy they probably went further and further into extremes... Not defending the psychos or anything! They definitely knew they were doing something wrong when they unshackled their children when the police arrived.

IMO as well the children were given scant food and just enough to survive, because with severe starvation the stomach swells...Made me think of the drawing as well. I would like to know their typical weekly diet.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

I have a few things that have been rolling around inside my head about this case...

Firstly, the lack of medical care or pediatrician for the kids. Newborns/babies are usually required well baby visits, and the required immunizations, usually until the age of two. I think LT probably did bring the babies in for the first 2 years, because it would raise major red flags if she DIDN'T. When you have more than one child, like many do, you tend to stick with the same pediatrician for years. She must have brought the baby in alone, in order to avoid the Dr. seeing any signs of abuse/neglect. I can't imagine a pediatrician not being concerned about how thin and guant these kids looked. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I really believe she planned out ahead of time, (before family came to visit or Disney pics) to fatten the kids up a bit and gave them more food. So there is no telling how the kids looked when not in photos.

I know what LT's sister says has to be taken with a grain of salt, but she said she mentioned or questioned to LT why the kids were so skinny. LT told her that the kids take after their father and are thin/lanky/tall. Or something along those lines. So that must have been her stock answer when anyone questioned about it, and sadly people believed her.

LT's other sister, the red head, said that when she stayed with LT/DT over the summer, (the oldest Turpin daughter was still pretty little then) that if she wanted something to eat the child had to look her mother in the eye, have a smile on her face and ask LT for food. This was in front of LT's sister so I can only imagine what went down with no one watching.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Very cunning, dangerous sociopathic/sadist/NPD woman I believe. She is right where she belongs.

I think there will be multiple mental disorders diagnosed for both parents, not that their mental conditions should excuse them for the way they treated their children & I certainly don't want them to get off with insanity pleas. However, they absolutely must be some of the biggest nut jobs to ever live on earth. The parents were living in the same horrid filth as their children. How any sane person could live like that is completely beyond me!!

I can&#8217;t help but to wonder if the initial starvation of the kids was retaliation for the smearing of feces on the wall.

The insane rationale was , &#8220;If I don&#8217;t feed them, then they can&#8217;t put poop on the walls.&#8221;.

Quoting myself: difficult to get sharper close up on iPad editor, but I think this is a ink smudge as the color is consistent in the photo, and the drawing is loose cartoon drawn by a visually skilled person.

I don't think it is a kids drawing because of the height, scale, and in Texas, how many kids were there and what were their ages... They were very young at this time? Just some thoughts.

I'm not sure if that house was left behind when they moved to California or if they moved to another house in TX first?

When they moved to Cali it was about 2010, and at that point the eldest would have been about 21. A younger, shorter, person could reach the top of the doorframe if they stood on a stool.

The eyes and mouth look too sad to be something the parent drew of one of the children, and it would be very odd for an adult to do? I wouldn't expect a depiction of one of the parents to look this sad.

Considering the state of the house in other ways, the drawing kind of pales in comparison, though I don't suppose LT/DT would agree. But there could have been punishment for it. Or it could have been done as they were getting ready to leave and so not visible for very long but instead sort of left to posterity.

It is a shame that we can't see the bottom of the picture, I think it would help a lot to see the whole thing, otherwise it's not that much different to looking at clouds or ink splodges where everyone can see something slightly different and it's impossible to say who's right and who's wrong.

The head reminds me of the cartoon character Tintin?

BBM...

I had noticed the circles that were fainter in the background too. Whoever drew the faint lines may have used pencil at first and it was not dark enough for them.

I get the houses mixed up... This article with the drawing references ft. Worth 1999-2010 before moving to CA. That means oldest child b. 1988 would be 22.

A teenager, artistically inclined, could have drawn this cartoon, absolutely. Perhaps kids would have seen some father's engineering schematics, and well they lived for Disney. Walt Disney's original drawings for animation are amazing. Perhaps copying cartoon elements went into this drawing. Just some thoughts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5318481/House-Horrors-pair-fled-Texas-child-sought-help.html

I am thinking this drawing might be be the fathers. It's in the Texas house as far as we know. To me, it's too sophsicated for kids that age at that time? Unless one was artistically advanced. He's over six feet tall. As an engineering grad in the early 80's drawings were still done by hand before CAD programs? So, the father had geometry & visual skills, Imo. What it means, who knows.

Here are some electrical symbols for reference.

ETA: maybe a cartoon symbol reminder to fix the smoke detector above?

View attachment 129323

View attachment 129324

View attachment 129325
Looks like a relationship equation between joules and voltage-current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee