CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Lucy's mom, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsomniMom

InsomniMom New Member

This is my first post but I just had to chime in here. I agree with you completely. My son is on the spectrum and occasionally becomes very aggressive. We have a series of interventions we employ to calm him down and encourage appropriate behavior, including various kinds of sensory input (deep pressure, vestibular, oral, etc.), social stories, reward charts, breathing exercises, reflexology, massage, and others. We do occasionally have to resort to restraining him when he's very escalated and engaging in self harm or extreme aggression, but we do it very rarely and only use safe holds that we have been trained in by professionals. We aim to restrain him for as brief a period of time as possible (3-5 minutes), and would NEVER use physical restraints like ties. While he is restrained the other parent will speak softly to him, read from a favorite book, or rub his feet so that he doesn't interpret it as a punishment, but rather an opportunity to calm down and regroup. He also has a behavior modification plan in place at school so that we can ensure we're consistent in how we respond.

It's just beyond my comprehension that anyone would attempt to justify chaining children to beds as some kind of well-intentioned therapeutic technique. Even if we were to put aside the fact that the survivors were literally left to wallow in pools of their own waste, restraint of this type is NEVER appropriate. It's abusive. Period. I'll leave this alone now because I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but it's been bothering me and I felt I needed to add my perspective as a parent of a child who exhibits aggression and self harm.

2. Rosegold68

Rosegold68 Well-Known Member

iPads? I don’t think giving them internet access whilst they are so prominent in the media I’d a great idea!

3. Pseudonymph

Pseudonymph Well-Known Member

The kids were imprisoned in their rooms and needed something to do. I think somebody drew this to be a target for a ball-bouncing game. That’s why the light is broken. It doesn’t have to have a deep meaning IMO.

4. Jondy09

Jondy09 New Member

I agree. However, it is possible to disable the internet on the device and make sure any nearby wi-fi is password protected, in case they turn the internet capability back on.

5. Stunned

Stunned Well-Known Member

I wonder if one of the reasons the girl survivors were starved was to help too keep wacko woman the only breeder in the house.

6. Stunned

Stunned Well-Known Member

Is that a light or smoke detector?

7. December

December Verified insider - Kathy Jones case

8. cady

cady Well-Known Member

I'd love to be a fly on the wall to observe mama in her jail cell. Bzzzzzzzzzzzz Bet she talks to herself, in between spitting.

9. Jilllian

Jilllian Verified Insider - Jennifer Ramsaran Case

Thank you for saying that, Ana.

What I've seen particularly in the foster kids I've had in my home (and worked with at my day job) that have been over 9-years-old, and particularly teenagers, is that they live in a fantasy world that their parents have changed, and will be the ideal parents if given a second (or third, fourth, fifth, etc.) chance. They think they learned their lesson or magically have changed who they are and would, at any chance of reunification, earn their parent of the year awards.

However, I once had a teenage foster daughter who eventually moved out of my home to go to college. She said she realized if she hadn't been in foster care from the age of 3-18 (I was her 51st, and final foster parent), she wouldn't have gone to college. She said she'd likely be on heroin if she was raised by her birth parents. But she was fiercely loyal to them still, just recognized she was better off in care.

I've read that some (most?) of the Turpin kids have developmental delays, most likely from extreme neglect. If this is true, I hope their developmental issues protect them in some ways while they're processing what's been done to them.

The most resilient kids I've seen on the planet have been those I work with at a foster care agency, and those who've been in my care. I bet the Turpin kids are resilient as all get out.

If I had a mansion, I would quit my job and offer to raise (re-raise?) these kids, as I'm sure many here would.

So heartbreaking.

10. SandyQLS

SandyQLS Well-Known Member

The first child was born in 1988, and the twelfth in 2005/2006. The bankruptcy that caused them to leave Texas was in 2010, so the oldest was 22 then and the youngest about 4.

11. human

human Well-Known Member

O/t. Those are casement windows. The worst. I had them replaced with double hung.

12. human

human Well-Known Member

Wow. So did Jaycee Dugard, I think reading their books may give one true insight and it sure was not about not trying to get away,

The fear and mind control.

13. Lulu_la_Nantaise

Lulu_la_Nantaise New Member

Hi everybody! Long time reader first time poster here.

BBM

Could the polaroids have been taken by the cleaning crew? Either to explain to their manager that they needed more time/staff, or to document a "before/after" advertisement for future clients?

Now I don't see why polaroids which are quite expensive and not digital photos which can be sent instantly...

14. human

human Well-Known Member

It is a strange picture, The hands are like those a three or four year old would draw but the face looks,like the work of an older child.

I cannot believe an adult would draw hands like that. I don’t know why they would get beat for that. Did,they get beat for smearing feces on the wall?

Smearing feces is often a sign of sexual abuse

15. Leila

Leila Active Member

Welcome aboard!

16. SandyQLS

SandyQLS Well-Known Member

I noticed that LT has a farmer's tan line on her arm from being out in the sun, while the survivors have absolutely pale arms in every photo.

Attached Files:

17. human

human Well-Known Member

The article was about abused children still “loving” their parents.

I think in this case since the children had planned an escape for two years, it indicates that they did not “love” their parents.

Running away is one thing. Planning for two years and risking one’s life to run away seems to indicate getting away from them was worth the chance of death rather than stay with the parents any longer

18. cady

cady Well-Known Member

The drawing wasn't necessarily done all at once. Could have been a target, then added, head, then hands in no particular order. Looks like different writing objects used. "signature" at another time, too. Maybe they had childrens books, but I sort of doubt it. Children actually learn a lot from kid books. It was said that most of them had rudimentary ability to read and write, so I guess there must have been something to read......

19. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Hey Everyone,

Remember it is against TOS to discuss other posters with each other. Please stay on topic.

Thank you,
    Tricia

20. Zelda1010

Zelda1010 Active Member

I was drawn to the part that mentioned the various ways kids "cope" with abuse. Internalizing it, taking it out on another, suicide, running away, murdering the abuser. The child may not be able to do any of these things in the midst of the worst of the abuse (chained up perhaps) and when the abuse isn't happening and they could make their move, they have very mixed up feelings. That's what I got out if it, anyway.

I do hope you are right though. If they felt no love toward their abusive parents it would make the rest of their lives easier. Each one of the 13 will have a different mix of feelings to sort out, I'm afraid. Bless their hearts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.