CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that will fly. They both knew what they were doing needed to be hidden. They're just a couple of sadistic so and so's. But I don't think crazy under the eyes of the law.

I don't think it will fly either. I was just trying to think of a possible defense. I don't envy their attorneys.

I just want justice for the children, whatever it takes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The pastor that married the Turpins is interviewed - https://radaronline.com/videos/cali...iage-pastor-tells-all-children-abuse-captive/

He is the one I posted about in an earlier thread that was the former pastor of the Moffett Baptist church in Danville VA. He says in the interview that because it is easy to get married in Virginia and that no blood test is required, people from West Virginia would drive to Virginia to get married.

Shackles are Us. They would have to be handcuffed and leg cuffed?

I was thinking around their waist...none of the photos of the children and adults show any sort of visible marks or bruising on their wrists and/or arms. JMO

Im still over on Thread 7, but I just wanted to address something. Maybe many others have addressed it and im repeating...but....

DT's brother expressed interest in adopting the kids. DT's brother wrote a book on fasting for many many days. He is extreme in his religious ways (IMO). What else is he extreme on? Can you even imagine if that man adopted those kids and started forcing them to FAST for 'spiritual' reasons even???!!! I hope and pray this never ever ever becomes an option for these kids!!! The horror :( :(

Back to reading. This case will forever haunt me.

(btw. my father is a retired pastor and I grew up having to fast now and then. I alway snuck food. It never lasted 12 days though. ugh)

I don't think it will fly either. I was just trying to think of a possible defense. I don't envy their attorneys.

I just want justice for the children, whatever it takes!

Who knows what they might try and come up with. But the condition of the children, the living conditions, the lack of education and socialization, lack of care is so very obvious there will be no outs for them. This is one of those cases where just locking them up and throwing away the keys would be fitting.

I think they were very secure about their control of the victims.

Exactly,

The Turpins DEMANDED that they had to be in charge of the kids at every possible moment. The abuse with the ropes, chains, and locks was their form of control. Following four different cult like religions at once, the kids could not do anything without a parent being there. As bad as that, they were insistent on not having the kids observe anything that would take away their control. And the religious obsession made matters beyond all comprehension. Can't let the kids date. Their partner might think about sex, and we can't have that. Can't let the kids watch TV, cause the ideas and views they get from the shows are "wrong." And we can't have that. Can't have the kids playing with toys or games because they might get ideas that our not ours and we can't have that, All of these things were Louise's and David's ways of sadistic, cult-like, controlled thinking,

Louise probably hated the idea of the older son taking community college classes, but her being there at every moment was a mandatory condition for the son to do that. She probably would have proffered to be in the classroom with him, but unless signed up for the class herself, school policy would not allow her to do that. The girl who tried to bond a friendship with the son taking the class. He told Louise that he had no friends and she had no friends, asking her if they could be friends. This was only the second night of class, Louise, according to the girl, coldly said "Whatever" and got in the van with her son, who never attended the class again.

I did read that the whole family attended a community college show in 2016, all wearing the same type of outfits. What the show was about I do not know, but I think the older son was in the program. I think that the Turpins saw the outside world as a threat to their authority and only exposed their kids to this, if and only if they were able to regulate the situation.

Nothing that David or Louise did was for the kids, with the possible exception of the toddler. Louise had an obsession with cute things, such as little babies and Disney. Being the narcissists that she and David were, they could not love anything that they did not like. When the babies were no longer cute, to Louise and David, they became ugly and repulsive to them, and their children's' natural curiosities about the world were met with disdain and disapproval by both parents. They had to use physical punishment, intimidation, and torture, to prevent the children from discovery. In their sick minds, if they didn't do this, control would be lost.

I could even see Louise as mentally incompetent in several areas. She may have never been taught the skills of cooking, and cleaning, or what love is. Or maybe she was so sick and twisted that she just didn't care. Cleaning the house and caring for the kids in terms of personal hygiene and nutrition, she never saw the responsibility of being a mother or learned the duties and commitment associated with nurturing and Mothering. David's threats and intimidation made Louise's behavior ten times worse. And when the children became so accustomed to living in this hell hole with these monsters, David and Louise would find new ways to intimidate them. This wasn't going to stop until the kids were able to notify authorities or until the parents were arrested. Even if one of the kids would have died of starvation, David and Louise could care less. She would just want another "Cute" baby to make up for the "dead repulsive one."

This witch was living in a fantasy world with her warlock husband who wanted a life of Disney and "Cute" toddlers.

Satch

The victims' physical and mental conditions are proof enough through the medical testimony. None of them have to testify and the parents still go away for life.

You bring the doctors and nurses in to testify. Done.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I noticed a couple of things in these pictures that I found curious. At this link:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01...use-of-horrors-in-perris-family-torture-case/

Pic 2/15 or pic 5/15 (I think is almost the same pic) shows what appears to be wooden bunk beds through the front window. Those wood slats look like the ones that were loaded in police vehicles and taken as evidence. Got me to thinking, were the children chained so close to their bed that they laid in their own waste on the top bunk dripping down to the bottom bunk? Or could they get down to the ground just not get out of the room?

Pic 7/15 shows an officer carrying a box that says "Everything Christian for Less".
(no words . . . . )

I also note that one of the last pictures show a screen partially out of the window. The screen doesn't look cut, so maybe the cut screen has been taken for evidence, and this is a new screen to be put in that window.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Turpin pic 12.jpg
    Turpin pic 12.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 475
The pastor that married the Turpins is interviewed - https://radaronline.com/videos/cali...iage-pastor-tells-all-children-abuse-captive/

He is the one I posted about in an earlier thread that was the former pastor of the Moffett Baptist church in Danville VA. He says in the interview that because it is easy to get married in Virginia and that no blood test is required, people from West Virginia would drive to Virginia to get married.

In the Radar online photos, what is,that white thing that looks skeletonish? It is in the photos with the diapers.

I was thinking around their waist...none of the photos of the children and adults show any sort of visible marks or bruising on their wrists and/or arms. JMO

Actually people on here posted several pics which seem to show bruises on the feet and wrists,

I think that's a piece of lighting equipment (or TelePromTer) used by the press? The way it's positioned, it's giving an optical illusion that it's over the window, imo.

I also note that one of the last pictures show a screen partially out of the window. The screen doesn't look cut, so maybe the cut screen has been taken for evidence, and this is a new screen to be put in that window.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think the screen is probably actually some kind of device on the stand for the TV reporters

In this day and age everyone has had a baby monitor and many opted to keep them and use in their home when a member of the family is sick. When my husband was recovering from back surgery, I could be outside doing some gardening and he could request his lunch by simply saying he was ready for lunch.

Don't get mad but I found that cute!!! You're in the garden and you hear, "I'm ready for lunch!"

I am having so many thoughts on this case! The emotional impact is stunning! I have some general questions:

1.) Do you think that there should be a trial? Or should a plea bargain be arranged to avoid a trial? In this case, the parents could plead guilty to the worst charges and probably be sent to prison for life. Remember right now, both have pleaded Not Guilty to everything. As much as I would love to hear the kids testify against their parents for what the children have gone through, I think a trial may be too traumatic for them.

2.) Do you think there WILL be a trial?

3.) Do you think the outcome of a trail will be guilty as charged? Not guilty by reason of insanity? or a hung jury?

Satch

1. I hope there is no trial for the sake of the kids. I hope their is a plea bargain that keep them in prison for at least 29 years.
2. I think there will be a trial because these two nutters are totally psychopathic/narcissistic and think they can get out of this. They either believe they were somehow justified and others will understand or excuse them (and there may be a couple in society who, in fact, do just that, as we have inexplicably seen) and/or they fail to understand normal human emotions, the normal parent-child bond and will be incapable of realizing the absolute horror most normal humans feel when faced with such depravity. So for those reasons, they probably won't plea.
3. I think it will be a slam dunk guilty as charged for the bulk of the charges, as long as the prosecution ferrets out any child abusing nutcases who try to justify or have sympathy for these monsters. But in reality, such persons are rare, IMO. I predict guilty as charged on substantially all the charges. There may be some not guilties based on attributing something more to one or another.

My big questions is sentence. As we have seen, when these cases don't result in death, the sentences are historically disgracefully minimal in these cases. I hope that won't be the case here. The DA has seemed determined from the outset to make sure they spend the rest of their lives in prison and bail amounts are high. So I have hope.

It might come down to whether the victims can withstand trial.

Found this link in my history. Think it is same as the disallowed one earlier. moo

http://time.com/5115078/david-louise-turpin-children-abuse-safety/

Thank you so much!!!

I think that's a piece of lighting equipment (or TelePromTer) used by the press? The way it's positioned, it's giving an optical illusion that it's over the window, imo.

Yeah. Totally not a screen. You can tell by looking at the photos of the window in other photos when it is not obstructed.

I tend to think there will be a trial, but I suspect the defense is going to ask for a change of venue, as they often do in high-profile cases.

Change of venue to where? Mars? This case has gotten international attention.

There are enough charges that the DA can drop half of them in exchange for guilty pleas, and both of them would still be assured of spending the rest of their lives in prison. It wouldn't make any sense for this case to go to trial, for anybody.

As far as the parents are concerned.......I can't see them pleading guilty to some charges if the end result is still life in prison. I doubt they would do anything to spare the children from having to testify.

Many people plead guilty and get life sentences. Their lawyers will explain to them that there is no chance of them not being convicted. So they will have nothing to lose by pleading guilty.

no mosquitoes in Scotland, we do however have Midges ......

Smaller than mosquitoes but they still bite and there are usually swarms of them :scared: as far as I know they are usually out in the open. I've not heard of anyone having a midge problem in their homes, at least not enough to merit installing screens

I am having so many thoughts on this case! The emotional impact is stunning! I have some general questions:

1.) Do you think that there should be a trial? Or should a plea bargain be arranged to avoid a trial? In this case, the parents could plead guilty to the worst charges and probably be sent to prison for life. Remember right now, both have pleaded Not Guilty to everything. As much as I would love to hear the kids testify against their parents for what the children have gone through, I think a trial may be too traumatic for them.

2.) Do you think there WILL be a trial?

3.) Do you think the outcome of a trail will be guilty as charged? Not guilty by reason of insanity? or a hung jury?

Satch
Just from the little bit we have seen in court I think DT may take a plea deal. The only way I see LT taking a deal is if DT turns on her as part of his plea deal. IMO LT does not believe DT will ever turn on her and may believe that he will take all the blame.
I hope there isn't a trial. Not only will the children have to testify, but also so much of what each survivor went through will be brought out. Both to me would be very tramatic for them. I hope that the ones that wish to give victim impact statements get the chance to.

Interesting. I would think the opposite so an intruder cannot lift the screen from the outside. Mine came out inside, then the windows tilt into the house . Easy easy to wash from inside. No ladders needed on the outside. An advert here for the best windows and the best company that takes care of their employees. Marvin windows.

Anyway, so screens may have been more tricky for that house. Still, I wonder what precautions the “parents” had to protect from escape.

I work for a glass company and we also do screens. Your screens should be removable from the inside, not the outside. Not many people take their screens out seasonly anymore IME. That’s because newer windows are double pane and there no need to swap out storm windows for screens as the seasons change. That being said, the victims probably didn’t know how to take the screen out. I probably wouldn’t either if I didn’t work for a glass company lol.

I think that in the past experience with captivity/torture charges in California recently (which involved Tracy CA and a boy held for 18 months), then there will be a trial, but at the end it is possible that there will a plea deal offered to sentence the monsters to 30 years or so in prison vs life in prison in exchange for dropping the torture charges. At least that is what happened recently in California. See the San Jose Mercury News article here for more details - https://www.mercurynews.com/2010/12...d-captive-in-tracy-home-for-more-than-a-year/

But the Turpins will probably not agree to it and then they will be put away for life.

I forgot about the outcome of that case!! Gives me hope for this one. That was one kid. 18 months. This is 13, and 8 years of abuse charged.

Thinking about these monsters going to trial. What could they possibly use as a defense? Insanity? I can't think of any other defense that could possibly work.

The only thing I think that can work partially, in the sense that it might shift some of the counts one way or the other, is blaming the other.

But ultimately, these two are going down.

The defenses they could try, none of which i think would be successful, would be:

1. Insanity.
2. Battered wife syndrome: California Code, Evidence Code - EVID § 1107: (a) In a criminal action, expert testimony is admissible by either the prosecution or the defense regarding intimate partner battering and its effects, including the nature and effect of physical, emotional, or mental abuse on the beliefs, perceptions, or behavior of victims of domestic violence, except when offered against a criminal defendant to prove the occurrence of the act or acts of abuse which form the basis of the criminal charge..
3. Behavioral/medical issues involving the kids and misguided parenting due to lack of knowledge as to how to cope with those issues or parent. That would actually be a defense to the torture charges as they would use it to claim they did not starve the kids or leave them tied to lie in their own waste, "With the intent to cause cruel or extreme pain and suffering," nor "For the purpose of revenge, extortion, persuasion or any sadistic purpose." California Code, Penal Code - PEN § 206.

That's where the kids' testimony would come in. Why were they told they were being starved or chained?

But I do not believe those defense will work. Not at all.

attachment.php

That is a TelePrompTer on a stand for the media guy that's standing just to the right, with the mic. Zoom in, you can see it attached to stand & distinctive curved edges. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see that now! I got all excited thinking it was a new screen waiting to be installed and didn't pay attention to the press equipment. I had eye surgery a year ago, and have a cataract growing in that eye, so I sometimes don't see well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam