CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #9

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Lucy's mom, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsd1200

rsd1200 If there's no link, it's just my own 2¢.

I understand, it's like praising a female parent who cares for the kids. No one does that. My sil takes care of the children while my daughter works. They have it set up to where one can always be there so they don't have to use a sitter or daycare now. Back in my era, my Dad never changed a diaper. Ever. I don't think he held us til we were six months old. He thought we were too fragile. Now after we got to where we could hold our heads up and sit up, he was more comfortable. I plopped my newborn in his lap and he kinda froze up! He does much better with each grand, and greatgrandchild now, but still no diaper changes. :notgood: I must admit, I had a hard time with diapers, but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

2. Zelda1010

Zelda1010 Active Member

I actually kept reading. Some parts are ringing bells, like I must've read excerpts before. I mean, clearly I have, since I had heard of the blanket training, but this is not a title I have in my mind as "one of the parenting books I've read". But there are parts that are good that I tried to incorporate into my own parenting. Like don't teach your kids to only respond if you raise your voice; don't tease your kid until they're angry, if you do you'll have to make amends or you are just being a bully (my son's father has a problem with this and I've tried to explain it to him and I found myself wanting to share a passage or two with him). I am just, I don't know, gobsmacked, that the authors can speak quite eloquently about happiness and love and mutual respect in a home in one paragraph; then in the next go on to suggest that invading the child's soul and breaking their will is the means to that end.....gobsmacked

3. rsd1200

O/T
    Ohh, some mother's and grannies do too. I've got to see some awfully cute pics, that will never be on FB, b/c of a mil.

My ex was kinda funny about stuff too, though. One of mine, was just the pet of one of the older girls, at his daycare. Her Mom worked there so she was there hanging out til daycare closed each day. My little one was about four when he started there and he just loved her. He had big soft curls, and big blue eyes. I went in to pick him up one day, and he'd been completely made up, like a girl! Blush, eye shadow, lip gloss, the whole deal! He'd sat right there and let her make him up. Loved the attention from his friend. When I saw him the first time, I about fell over! I now had a girl. A pretty girl too. I asked them to wash it off b/c I had to go to the store and I thought people would think I was weird. Next time it happened, I just left it on, and we went on home. My ex nearly had a coronary. I explained it would wash off. After one more time, the ex got ill enough that I just asked them to stop, to keep peace. I wish I had a picture though.

4. human

human Well-Known Member

I imagine the bank that holds a mortgage would not be happy. The home is supposed to be kept up as it is collateral to a loan

5. Stunned

Stunned Well-Known Member

Exactly, this should be the norm.

6. mtnlites

mtnlites President of the Imaginary Friends' Club

The Church of God is not associated with snake handling. Snake handlers are their own special breed of religious people and have no official affiliation with the Church of God. Although CoG is a fairly conservative offshoot and often gets lumped in with the "Holiness" sect, if they are practicing snake handling then they've gone off and done their own thing and don't have a thing to do with the main church. Snake handlers are actually a denomination, more or less, unto themselves and they were associated with CoG "Holiness", which is different. It is kind of hard to keep them straight. It used to be a common practice but now it's VERY hard to find such a practice (although Hollywood seems to think that every backwoods, primitive church here in Appalachia practices it). In fact, it's outright illegal in most places and only certain pentecostal and holiness sectors EVER did it to start with. :) In Kentucky, we have more than 300 places of worship that fall under CoG, but only 2 snake handling churches and neither one of those are CoG.

FWIW, that article got some information wrong. The name of the church in Jolo is not "Church of God with Signs-it's Church of the Lord Jesus with Signs.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/serpent-handling-west-virginia-pastor-dies-snake-bite/story?id=16459455

Generally, though, I agree that the children shouldn't be placed with anyone we've "met" so far in this family.

Sources: I live around here and have degrees both in Appalachian Studies and in Religious Experience.I gotta be honest-I WISH that CoG engaged in snake handling. My MA dissertation was on snake handling and it would've made finding such a church a lot easier to find. :)

7. rsd1200

8. Stunned

Stunned Well-Known Member

My father came in and automatically kissed my my newborn son who was nursing at the time, and totally freaked out when he realized he was so closed to my breast. I had to keep reminding him he had done nothing wrong

9. rsd1200

Bless his heart. That's so funny!

10. Leila

Leila Active Member

I haven't seen anything that stated the Turpin families - his and hers - were into the church that handles snakes. In one of the first articles on Louises's background it stated her father was a preacher for the Church of God. I assumed that the Church of God With Signs Following was a branch of the Church of God. It's like saying, "Presbyterian With Signs Following" one would assume that it was a branch of the Presbyterian church.

11. mtnlites

mtnlites President of the Imaginary Friends' Club

As per the link I included in my reply to your post, the church in Jolo with Mack Wolford is The Church Of The Lord Jesus With Signs Following.

12. SkipperKey3

SkipperKey3 Well-Known Member

I saw today at the store that this case not only made People magazine, but made the cover:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Spice

Spice Active Member

(Hey fellow SW)

I've seen kids removed from their homes due to hoarding, especially if there is inadequate access/hindered to food due to the hoard, unsanitary conditions that create hazards and lack of access to a place to sleep. Basically if the basic needs of the child are hindered due to the hoard, removals can occur . It would be considered child neglect. CPS will try to treat the parents mental health issue and return the child if the parent engages and the home is cleaned and returned to a safe state.

When it comes to 18 all the way to the elderly, a severe hoarding situation and unsanitary conditions would lead to an APS referral to try to get the person some help (Adult Protective Services) . APS will wrap services around the client (mental health treatment and dignity cleanups) and attempt to help with whatever situation is causing the person referring to believe that the adult is not able to care for themselves at the moment.

There are so many scenarios where an APS referral is made besides suspected elder abuse. And many people believe a child cannot be removed due to a dirty house, they can, I have seen it many times. The hoard has to be really dangerous and the house has to be very unsanitary. It all depends on who shows up at the door...

14. rsd1200

No. Completely different. While there's also branch that came out of Baptist churches, most were born from the Pentecostal branch, however, neither are supported by any, major Christian denomination. It is very rare, actually. Most little churches have no more than 10-20 members. They keep to themselves because the practice is frowned upon. It's illegal where I live, but it's practiced in such rural areas, that they rarely bother them.

They base their belief on Mark 16:17-18 and Acts 28:3-5.

15. ilovepierre

ilovepierre One day, the lost will be found

I'm glad the magazine is using the blurred faces pictures.
    I never had a chance to read the article because I was working, so I'm hoping to get a chance to tomorrow.

16. MsJosie

MsJosie Well-Known Member

We, the public, do have great dreams for the siblings. Hoping some of these dreams do come true.....happiness, togetherness, health....so many dreams.

17. wdmcmahan

wdmcmahan Well-Known Member

Maybe someone could translate...

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

18. jessie

jessie Well-Known Member

Try this for translations - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1b8bQHbODs

A quick search shows many sites providing youtube translations.

19. TickettyBoo

TickettyBoo New Member

Can I ask you ... And I'm sorry if I'm being a bit dense... But these tins of sausages that you guys have mentioned, what are they? We have tins of hotdog sausages over here so are they the same thing?
    And also what is a Pot Luck? :shame:

20. Lulu_la_Nantaise

Lulu_la_Nantaise New Member

A potluck is a small festivity where everyone brings something to eat and everything is shared. We have many of them at work :dance:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.