CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am enraged when I read that. No standards. Too intrusive. Yet public schools and teachers are held to standards. Examinations.

It reeks of children as possessions. Don’t tell me what to do with the slaves I bought and paid for.

And the puppy mills, I mean children mills, will go unregulated. No standards. What for. They are only children

Baloney. This is happening all over our country

Investigation finds D.C. schools fostered a culture of passing students

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...8b8600ade23_story.html?utm_term=.8013ea7a857a

It was a decent little place. After it was cleaned out, it was structurally sound, so, some Clorox, a fresh coat of paint, some new linoleum, and carpet, and it was fine. The waste was due to their water being cut off so mostly contained to the bathroom. They'd gotten on drugs and couldn't pay their bills and didn't want to tell anyone. But a lot of folks around here without a large income need little affordable places. It was a lot better after we cleaned up, than some places listed for rent, as ready-to- move-in, when the kids were looking for rentals.

I thought you were talking about the Turpin house. Is this just some random house?

IDK about random dirty houses, but never would I wish to live someplace a lot of people suffered and were abused. I am not saying anyone would...

Anyway, some states DO have home school oversight. So, it is not only a public school thing where there are rules, examinations, etc. Unfortunately, California does not appear to be such a place. But, if it WERE, does anyone believe the Turpins would have obeyed those rules? Or is it more likely they would have figured out a way to do what they wanted?

I thought you were talking about the Turpin house. Is this just some random house?

IDK about random dirty houses, but never would I wish to live someplace a lot of people suffered and were abused. I am not saying anyone would...

I'm sorry, I should have put OT. I was discussing how, that maybe the children's rooms were the worst, b/c the lawyer and LEOs went in w/o protection on their hands or masks. I had said I helped clean a place where folks had gotten in a bad way, b/c of drugs, and the water and lights had been cut off for a couple months before it was discovered (they didn't want anyone to know). I am okay with cleaning up after farm animals, shoveling stalls, house training and cleaning up after dogs, etc... but my stomach lurches when it is human. The toilet area had become pretty bad in that home and I had a bit of a hard time. I'd wondered how the LEOs went into the T home w/o masks and gloves. I could not have, if it's as bad as they said it was, just from what experience I've had. No one was hurt at the home I helped with. Well, unless you count the folks hurting themselves...

Fwiw, I know of several folks who have been left to take care of things, after a family member's suicide. How they did it, and lived there, I do not know, but they did. I guess no other option at the time.

Anyway, some states DO have home school oversight. So, it is not only a public school thing where there are rules, examinations, etc. Unfortunately, California does not appear to be such a place. But, if it WERE, does anyone believe the Turpins would have obeyed those rules? Or is it more likely they would have figured out a way to do what they wanted?

That's just it-people who want to get away with something will always figure out a way. We can blame it on homeschooling or lack of standards or oversights or whatever but the truth is, blame lies within the mother and father of this family.

I am very uncomfortable with the tone that this conversation is taking.

That's just it-people who want to get away with something will always figure out a way. We can blame it on homeschooling or lack of standards or oversights or whatever but the truth is, blame lies within the mother and father of this family.

I am sorry.

I just know my friend took her daughter to see a teacher several times. She got workbooks, advice, and her daughter was given tests. But, she was honestly trying to educate her daughter during medical issues. So, she would have done whatever was needed. I can't say this of the Turpins.

Me too. I feel that the Turpins are starting to get a pass as far as how they tortured their children.

If we as a society do not have rules and standards, we might as well figure we will live like Neanderthals.

People who want to will always try to circumvent rules. But at least if there are some, they could be examined to see if they are following the rules. We don’t eliminate the speed limit because people do not observe it.

I am sorry.

I just know my friend took her daughter to see a teacher several times. She got workbooks, advice, and her daughter was given tests. But, she was honestly trying to educate her daughter during medical issues. So, she would have done whatever was needed. I can't say this of the Turpins.

Where I lived in MN , they have teachers that go to the child’s home and provide education if there is a medical need. I know this to be true in Wisconsin as well as I know two teachers who do it. It is called the Homebound program.

I am surprised that the onus is placed on the parent to educate the child during medical issues.

Several people that I know that homeschool do not want their children to mingle with children they feel are undesirable. There are different ideas for what some parents consider to be undesireable children.

Where I lived in MN , they have teachers that go to the child’s home and provide education if there is a medical need. I know this to be true in Wisconsin as well as I know two teachers who do it. It is called the Homebound program.

I am surprised that the onus is placed on the parent to educate the child during medical issues.

Several people that I know that homeschool do not want their children to mingle with children they feel are undesirable. There are different ideas for what some parents consider to be undesireable children.

Yes. We have the homebound program as well for decades.

This was a unique situation that required travel to deal with everything. So, in that situation and because of the age of the girl, she was home schooled for two years. But, her parents weren't out in limbo doing this. The tests she took consistently showed her ahead of expectations so she had no problem going into third grade. She had to turn in things to teachers as well.

There is oversight in my state. I have never heard anyone complain about it.

And the onus is always on the parents. Even kids going to public school don't appear at the school by magic. Their parents get them ready and send/take them until they can do it themselves.

Me too. I feel that the Turpins are starting to get a pass as far as how they tortured their children.

If we as a society do not have rules and standards, we might as well figure we will live like Neanderthals.

People who want to will always try to circumvent rules. But at least if there are some, they could be examined to see if they are following the rules. We don’t eliminate the speed limit because people do not observe it.
How are they getting a pass? Were all the charges against them dropped?

I am sorry.

Yes, I agree. I homeschooled my son for a year and was involved with many homeschooling groups. The majority of people who homeschool are doing a great job-many homeschooled children around here are getting an education that is at least on par with the public schools, if not superior. I am one of those, however, whose back bristles at the idea of harsher regulations and more government interference with my homeschooling. I would be totally onboard with yearly physicals-even with a yearly "check in" in which we send the board's office testing and attendance results (both of which homeschools in my state must keep records of). My discomfort was over the idea that dissatisfaction of anything stronger than that meant that I think of my child as a "possession" or "thing."

The Turpins are an extreme example of things going awry. They are their own special brand of evil and I truly believe that they would've found some way around whatever rules were imposed. Unfortunately, when one bad apple reaches the top of the barrel, it taints the whole thing.

I am not giving them a pass. However, there is always going to be folks like the Ts. We can't just have govt. employees knocking on our doors to inspect homes based on how others view our lifestyles. What I might see as abusive, others may not, and visa versa. It's a very frivolous little thing, but, as I've said, we are naturally nocturnal. When we could be, we are up, and out, at night. We've had the kids out in the car, often, at close to midnight, and off to Walmart, in the next county. After, we'd run by DQ and get milkshakes, and to top off the adventure...we'd go through another neighboring county, to take the vehicle through my spouse's favorite car wash! :loveyou: Then we'd ride around a bit, jam some tunes, and return home. A good time was had by all! Now, going out, and coming back, w/the kids, at those hours, may have seemed kinda weird to our neighbors who didn't know us (we were in a rural cul-de-sac then), but I'd have been furious, and refused to allow anyone in, and asked to see a warrant, if someone called CPS on us, for our outings.

My next door neighbor was a bit of a hoarder, (not trash, just "things") but her kids were well fed, loved, never had a hand laid to them, always dressed well, active in, and excelled in, school. Their mother would have fought a circle saw running backwards over them kids.

One of my kids friends in grade school, lived in poverty. There were times they had no running water to do the wash, or to bathe in (they had to haul it but had to wait for him to get a paycheck sometimes). When they were out of water, the kids would take spit baths in the creek. The child came to our home quite a bit, to play. She was sweet, no signs of abuse, a bit shy, but warmed right up when she got to know us. They didn't have a lot, but, again, I saw no signs of abuse.

If any of my kids' friends had had shown signs of obvious abuse, I'd have placed an anon call. I just cannot call on someone because they live differently than me, or because they may be struggling financially, and their clothing may not be stain free.

I'm pretty sure community college takes anyone over the age of 18, so a birth certificate or ID would be needed. For high school transcripts, they are sent electronically (from public schools, anyway). No paper copies.

Honestly, there was one time (that we know of) when the Turpins ought to have been caught. That is in Texas when a neighbor lady picked up a daughter who wanted to go to a payphone to call the police on her parents. She also asked about how to get a driver's license and a job. But, the records on that have disappeared. Jmo

Hey Everyone,

I'll be locking this thread shortly and starting another one.

If you see any posts that you feel should be brought over to thread number 10 please alert on the post and tell us why you think it should be moved.

Thanks,

Tricia

We have a The Homebound Supervision Service for juvenile offenders, I guess is the best terminology and we have Home/Hospital Instruction. We did not have this in Ky. when I was a child. My parents just picked up my books, and a list of what to read, and study, and then iirc, I'd try to be there for tests. If I couldn't, they'd let me come in and take the test, later, again, iirc. That was many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23