CA - Actor Ron Ely's son stabs mother Valerie to death; Santa Barbara, Oct.16, 2019

Why Did LE Think Cameron Ely Was Suspect/Perp?
...I'm guessing that the scene was chaotic and no one knew what weapons, exactly, the son had. The son called the police himself, IIRC. He tried to say his dad had stabbed his mom. I have no idea why the police ended up thinking he was the perp - ...
@10ofRods :) and others. ^bbm Good ^ Q.
Agreeing that the scene was likely chaotic and son's weapons were not initially known.
Imo, critical factor re LE pegging Cameron as suspect was visible reddish marks on him/clothing.

Also, any previous 911 DomViolence calls? Involving Cameron?
Did responding officers know that male called 911? Know who called, by name?

LE found woman's body, initially thought she was shot.* Later MSM reported 64 stab wounds.
Regardless of exact nature of wounds on woman's body - whether from gunshot or sharp edged weapon, like a knife, likely imo LE would look for suspect w blood/reddish stains/marks on him/his clothing.

Likely imo, Cameron had visible-to-the-naked-human-eye blood or appearance of blood/reddish stains/marks on him/his clothing.
LE searched inside, then outside, found a male big enough to play Harvard football (~12 yrs ago).

Now if Cameron did have visible-to-naked-human-eye blood/reddish stains/marks on him/his clothing, likely imo, LE drew initial conclusion he was a/the likely suspect .

If LE had seen Ron Ely before searching outside, then possible LE observed no blood/reddish stains/marks on him/his clothing, so would not/did not initially peg him as a suspect.

But if LE had not seen Ron Ely, then possible they simply saw Cameron as a suspect, esp. if Cameron had the visible, etc.

Just musing on possibilities.
Of course, it's also possible Cameron --
1) had time to clean up, change clothing, etc.
2) had no involvement, and someone. killed Ms Ely.
I have not checked MSM updates in last few days.

-----------------------------------------------------------

* ^ Woman "found fatally shot" per earliest MSM, later reported as 64 stab wounds <--- imo, translates as - there was so much blood, LE initially thought she was shot, not stabbed.
First/earliest article, Oct 1, 11;58 pm.

Santa Barbara Deputies Fatally Shoot Suspect In Homicide At Home Owned By 'Tarzan' Actor Ron Ely

Both Cameron and Ron are quite tall (both over 6', something like 6'3")

LE in SB sure seems convinced it was Cameron who did it (and who called, apparently - perhaps it was his cell number?) I'm sure the voices of the two men would sound rather different as well. Neighbors and others keep saying Ron was "frail." Not clear why the couple had put their house (with separate "wings" for each adult child) on the market.

Police are trained to shoot into body mass because that's a bigger target than a leg. Furthermore, a leg shot can just as easily be lethal if they hit an artery.

JMO
I can understand when LE decides they need to fire their weapon at someone that they are trained to shoot in upper body mass chest area to stop the threat.

What bothers me about this case is what I have seen in too many other cases. All 4 officers opened fire on the suspect. So it seems to me that it is common when a first officer decides to fire upon someone, that it seems to give mental permission for all the other officers present to open fire as well.

I would like to learn more about what training they are told when multiple officers all have a gun pointed at the same threat. Its almost like group mentality that if any one of them decides to fire at a subject then its like a mental permission slip is handed out to every other officer present to go ahead and fire as well. What if that first officer made a mistake and fired mistakingly? Then if every other officer fires, they have now propagated that mistake two, three, and fourfold.

Or is it that the other officers do not realize where the first shot is even coming from and they panic and shoot at the individual thinking he is shooting back at them. Which would also be an error and a mistake if they made a wrong conclusion to begin with where that first shot came from.

Im all for LE protecting themselves and protecting the public because that is their job. However I have seen or heard about too many examples just like this one, where when the first officer fires, then every other officer present which has their weapon out will immediately fire as well. Usually reducing a suspect's chance of survival.

I have to wonder what they are taught specifically about this when multiple officers all have their gun pointed at the same subject and the first single shot rings out.

I always try to give LE the benefit of the doubt because so many cases where officers are killed or wounded in the line of duty. This particular case seems to need a better explanation of what exactly was the perceived threat of the individual. Did he still have a knife in hand? Or was it that he just did not obey a verbal command to get on the ground or something?

If a subject is not holding a weapon and there are four adult officers present to subdue him and take him into custody, it seems like there were some non lethal alternatives. Even if they did not have tasers, 4 adult officers should have been able to tackle the person and put cuffs on him if he was not armed. If he had a knife in his hand then it becomes more understandable what happened. If he was totally unarmed then it becomes less understandable with 4 officers present.

LE in SB sure seems convinced it was Cameron who did it (and who called, apparently - perhaps it was his cell number?) I'm sure the voices of the two men would sound rather different as well. Neighbors and others keep saying Ron was "frail." Not clear why the couple had put their house (with separate "wings" for each adult child) on the market.

Hopefully evidence at the scene will prove which person actually stabbed the Mom.

Im pretty sure if its the other way around then that person would not say anything if all of a sudden they are not even looked at that they could be the one who stabbed the Mom.

They would have no incentive to tell the truth of what really happened. It will be up to LE and the evidence to prove who stabbed who.

Previous Domestic Violence Calls?
@10ofRods
:) and Others
Any previous 911 DomViolence calls? Involving Cameron? Involving anyone household member?

BTW, imdb.com profile for Ron Ely shows: "Height: 6' 4¾" (1.95 m)."

Others in Home at Time of Death?
Sounds like the father is pretty frail and in bad health. Also, whoever did it likely would have been covered in blood.
@jjenny :) and Others
Yes, likely covered in/spattered w blood, unless he had time to clean up, change clothing, etc.

I have not read anything about other ppl present in house, except for Ron Ely.
An article published ~5 ? yrs ago (sorry, no link), Ely commented about all 3 adult children living in same home w the couple.
@10ofRods - any idea if this was still true?

LE Training? What Happened Here?
JMO
I can understand when LE decides they need to fire their weapon at someone that they are trained to shoot in upper body mass chest area to stop the threat.
I would like to learn more about what training they are told when multiple officers all have a gun pointed at the same threat. Its almost like group mentality conclusion to begin with where that first shot came from.
@Hatfield :) and Others. Snipping ^ for focus.

Well thought out post. I would also like to learn more about LE training on defense of self and others, esp re multiple officer and single suspect situations.

What happened in this situation? Were the officers spread out across the property? Some still inside home? Some in neighboring yards? How far apart were they? How close to suspect was first officer to fire, etc.

So much to wonder about. Was he mentally ill, on drugs, or just plain evil.
Was he angry at his parents for putting the house up for sale. I hope more info comes out on this

Interesting...

Ron Ely's unarmed son shot by cops, pretended to have gun

In her social media and blog posts, Kirsten Ely has shared a number of photos that praise either of her parents and that refer to her sister Kaitland as her soul mate.

[...]

But Cameron Ely does not figure into Kirsten Ely’s posts, except when he appears in a family portrait for Kaitland Ely’s 2016 wedding to a Santa Barbara County Fire Department captain.

“Family,” Kirsten Ely wrote. “What it’s all about.”

[...]

On her blog, Kirsten Ely wrote about a “tragedy” that had “struck” in April 2018, saying it “struck me to my core.” But Kirsten Ely did not go into detail about the tragedy, saying there are “some moments that I consciously protect as they are private, personal, and sacred.”

Interesting...

Ron Ely's unarmed son shot by cops, pretended to have gun

In her social media and blog posts, Kirsten Ely has shared a number of photos that praise either of her parents and that refer to her sister Kaitland as her soul mate.

[...]

But Cameron Ely does not figure into Kirsten Ely’s posts, except when he appears in a family portrait for Kaitland Ely’s 2016 wedding to a Santa Barbara County Fire Department captain.

“Family,” Kirsten Ely wrote. “What it’s all about.”

[...]

On her blog, Kirsten Ely wrote about a “tragedy” that had “struck” in April 2018, saying it “struck me to my core.” But Kirsten Ely did not go into detail about the tragedy, saying there are “some moments that I consciously protect as they are private, personal, and sacred.”
A tragedy struck. You would think it had something to do with her brother, or just a coincidence, of course.

This is a bizarre case. Granted, I haven't been the best mother ever, but I can't even imagine my sons would shoot me. There has got to be more to it.
I thought maybe since the parents were putting the house up for sale, it caused anger in CE...
Maybe, he felt entitled.
It would be very interesting to know the dynamics of the family.

I thought maybe since the parents were putting the house up for sale, it caused anger in CE...
Maybe, he felt entitled.
It would be very interesting to know the dynamics of the family.

That may have been a trigger. His dad was getting frail and seems to be in poor health, a time when many older couples decide to "downsize" to a smaller, more easily managed home/condo.

From the real estate listing for the house, the son had a large section to himself. He probably didn't want to give that up. Add in possible mental health issues and/or a drug or drinking problem and it doesn't go well.

In this family, maybe it was the dad who always spoiled the only son, but the mom was finally putting her foot down. I still can't see a son killing his mother unless he's mentally ill. It's pretty rare.

That may have been a trigger. His dad was getting frail and seems to be in poor health, a time when many older couples decide to "downsize" to a smaller, more easily managed home/condo.

From the real estate listing for the house, the son had a large section to himself. He probably didn't want to give that up. Add in possible mental health issues and/or a drug or drinking problem and it doesn't go well.

In this family, maybe it was the dad who always spoiled the only son, but the mom was finally putting her foot down. I still can't see a son killing his mother unless he's mentally ill. It's pretty rare.
Totally agree. Killings of parents can often be unexplainable... sometimes done by privileged.
I am thinking drugs and/or mental illness as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back