Found Deceased CA - Alex Holden, 25, Sacramento, 31 Dec 2019

I can't speak for Sac PD but going by general procedure, the initial person assigned to the case uses their experience and info gleaned from the report, the missing's sm and other records to determine the level of risk - this is necessary because adults have a right to disappear, and there are more cases than resources. That's already several hours. Once they decide they need to investigate, the sometimes slow nature of cooperation and logistics begins to unfold. Several steps need signatures, or personnel, lots of driving around, checking leads, canvassing, comparing notes, cops need sleep, and SAR efforts need some hours of planning and case review to ensure effective use of resources and time. With dogs, it is likely they've already had a tracker try trailing him from the apartment and this next search is a focused area. Dogs get tired and have limited attention spans - weather and schedules are also a consideration. This case has actually been handled very well/fast compared to similar ones. I hope they get a trace so we know which direction he was headed.
I can't speak for Sacramento PD, but in my experience, missing people are not looked for here at all by the police. They take the report and that's about it. My local neighborhood watch and NextDoor routinely have missing posters. When my co-worker and his wife disappeared the family ended up hiring people to look for them.

If the police truly get involved in this case, it will be because his parents are judges and his uncle was the governor of Missouri and it can't be swept under the carpet.

Yes, that probably sounds horrible, but that's my impression.

I can't speak for Sacramento PD, but in my experience, missing people are not looked for here at all by the police. They take the report and that's about it. My local neighborhood watch and NextDoor routinely have missing posters. When my co-worker and his wife disappeared the family ended up hiring people to look for them.

If the police truly get involved in this case, it will be because his parents are judges and his uncle was the governor of Missouri and it can't be swept under the carpet.

Yes, that probably sounds horrible, but that's my impression.
That is sadly the case in so many cities with high crime rates, especially with missing adults. :/ If Alex is alive out there, I hope he can appreciate the efforts to find him.

There are a few things that could have reasonably happened - the one that bugs me the most is the area surrounding the entrance to the JSM trail as it appears the most desolate/unlit/wooded/water - that is putting less confidence in him jumping off the bridge into the river intentionally.

Does anyone know how lit this area is?
View attachment 223621

and this marsh?
View attachment 223622

ETA: he has a car, so it is extra weird he chose to walk this.

he was likely drinking - not weird that he chose to not drive

I agree. Most logical conclusion. I just wondered if maybe it was a shared vehicle and K has the keys.

Being athletic and a long distance runner with his academic and professional record, it is unlikely he had any addiction issues to hard drugs. JMO

I really regret I did not archive it earlier so I don't remember specifics, just that the profile photo was his face (not the current one) and the last post was more recent than october. It isn't unusual for privacy settings to be changed by LE or FB (or in this case maybe the PI) while being looked at so it is probably no biggie.

[bbm]

I haven't seen that noted anywhere before. Do you have a link?

But even if you've been drinking, I can't imagine choosing to walk somewhere that would take over 2 hours to walk to (or honestly even one hour to walk to) in the middle of the night instead of just ordering up an Uber. MOO
Not even if you had been in an argument and needed to blow off steam? AH is a marathon runner; I don't think 2 miles would be much to him. MOO

Last edited:
One of Alex's friends, Aumad Malik, first thought Alex was coming over to his house in Natomas that Tuesday morning when Alex left his Sacramento apartment.

"He’s done it a hundred times. It’s just this time is worrying because he didn’t make it there," Malik said. "We need to find out where he is. We need to find out where he is and what happened."

Family and friends continue search for man missing since New Year’s Eve

"We’re trying to find somebody that saw him on video because we don’t have a real direction as to where he left after he left his apartment," Calvin Holden said.

One of Alex's friends, Aumad Malik, first thought Alex was coming over to his house in Natomas that Tuesday morning when Alex left his Sacramento apartment.

"He’s done it a hundred times. It’s just this time is worrying because he didn’t make it there," Malik said. "We need to find out where he is. We need to find out where he is and what happened."

Family and friends continue search for man missing since New Year’s Eve

"We’re trying to find somebody that saw him on video because we don’t have a real direction as to where he left after he left his apartment," Calvin Holden said.
No mention of the search with K-9's... :( Somebody needs to start searching. NOW.

Also noting:

About a dozen friends and co-workers met at Sutter's Fort Historic Park in midtown Sacramento Saturday to post up flyers and canvass the city looking for Alex.

"We do know that he’s not in the hospital, he’s not in the jails, he’s not deceased that they know of because nobody’s been shown up," his father said.

JAN 4, 2020
Man, 25, Goes Missing on New Year's Eve in Calif.: He Had 'No History of Disappearing,' Dad Says
[...]

“My son’s girlfriend called me because she hadn’t been able to contact him and asked me to try and contact him and I couldn’t either,” MP, Holden’s mother, told KCRA.

According to MP, Holden and KP had plans for New Year’s Eve that night, and when Holden didn’t show, KP began to worry. “They had plans that evening with a bunch of friends and it was really out of character for him to be absent for something like that,” MP told the outlet.

Holden’s father, Greene County Judge CH, reiterated to the Springfield News-Leader that his son had “no history of disappearing” and he remains “very concerned.”

[...]

On Friday, authorities in the area began a neighborhood-wide search for Holden, NBC reported.

The Sacramento Police did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

[...]

KristiGrossNews on Twitter
The search continues for Alex Holden, a 25 year old man who has been missing since the morning of New Year’s Eve. Friends and family are canvassing Sacramento and posting these flyers. If you have any info you’re asked to call @SacPolice. Hear from his family on @FOX40 at 5.
ENekmtWU0AApycS.jpg

4:33 PM - 4 Jan 2020

Bridgette Bjorlo on Twitter
The search continues for a missing 25-year-old man from Sacramento. Alex Holden's father traveled all the way from Australia to help look for his son, who disappeared on New Year's Eve. We're hearing from him at 10 on @FOX40
ENfP7YfU4AAcZZL.jpg

7:43 PM - 4 Jan 2020

People in today's search party found nothing. The police dogs found many hits on him as he routinely walked everywhere anyway, but nothing that helped. They even sent up drones, nothing.

There's another volunteer search party for tomorrow, starting from Capital Park.

Not even if you had been in an argument and needed to blow off steam? AH is a marathon runner; I don't think 2 miles would be much to him. MOO

Oh I thought it was further than that. Your post on page 1 showed His destination as 11.1 miles away and a three hour walk. I wouldn’t set out on that trek in the middle of the night to blow off steam but that’s just me maybe.

Oh I thought it was further than that. Your post on page 1 showed His destination as 11.1 miles away and a three hour walk. I wouldn’t set out on that trek in the middle of the night to blow off steam but that’s just me maybe.
That map shows the whole bike trail--he would most likely have cut over at El Camino or Northgate Boulevards, which was maybe a third or more of the way.

I'm wondering if the whole "I'm going to walk to Natomas" was a remark thrown out during the "conversation" and after he left he could have easily have decided to go somewhere else instead.

The searchers today seemed to spend more time looking in Midtown and less on the bike trail than I had expected and I think tomorrow's will be the same.

I'm not sure what that means for the hope of finding him ok, or even injured somewhere. :(

Yeah, we could use a better map. Sorry about that.

I hear what you're saying as I wouldn't walk that route either - especially by myself - not even in the daytime. But, I can believe that AH would. MOO

Case map and screenshots are on page 2. CA - CA - Alex Holden, 25, Sacramento, 31 Dec 2019

Locals are doing a very good job on this one, not sure if we can contribute anything valuable yet. According to his friend, Alex isn't due back to work until today. Let's hope he shows up and had no idea he was reported missing.

Last edited:
That map shows the whole bike trail--he would most likely have cut over at El Camino or Northgate Boulevards, which was maybe a third or more of the way.

I'm wondering if the whole "I'm going to walk to Natomas" was a remark thrown out during the "conversation" and after he left he could have easily have decided to go somewhere else instead.

The searchers today seemed to spend more time looking in Midtown and less on the bike trail than I had expected and I think tomorrow's will be the same.

I'm not sure what that means for the hope of finding him ok, or even injured somewhere. :(
I believe he may not have headed toward the house in Natomas as originally reported, but instead perhaps went back towards the bars (even though it was closing time). This may explain the searching in that area.

Alex was indeed scheduled for work today, and if he does not show up, police will move forward and officially consider him missing IMO, and we may see search efforts stepped up to the next level. Until he misses work, I believe they are reticent to consider him truly missing. Each day that passes leaves me more concerned.

I have spoken with his sister about setting up an official FB page for him which I hope will happen soon, and will link it here if it does.

As of this morning--5 full days. Hasn't recharged his phone, hasn't used a debit card, hasn't called anyone he knows, hasn't seen the many pleas on Facebook.

Is there hope? I want to believe there is--but I just can't imagine where he could be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back