CA - American students catch heat for wearing red, white & blue on Cinco de Mayo

I am hispanic, I live in West Texas, and I am currently sitting here listening to Tejano music blaring from speakers at the high school across the street. Why?? Because the school officials think it is ok for the hispanic kids to celebrate this non American holiday because it is their right. What?? I don't get it this holiday has nothing to do with this country. My husband has already called the school and complaint because we woke up this morning and thought we had been transported to a bar in Mexico, I mean Tejano music IS bar music! Well the school kindly informed him that after lunch there would be a Tejano Band from Odessa joining the festivities. My husband told them that this is not right and it is disrespectful to us, this is a residential street. I feel like my American civil rights are being violated because I am having to sit here in my home and listen to this obnoxious noise! Sorry having to vent, I don't see that this holiday celebration is advantageous to higher learning. My husband told the school that they need to have a celebration equivalent to this on fourth of July. PS, I think I'll go outside and hang up my American flag!

Thank you for posting. I didn't realize Tjano music is bar music. And I think you should go hang up your American flag!

Personally I think choosing to wear red, white and blue on this particular day shows a sort of instigation on part of students, unless they wear those clothes every day...what other reason would they have had to do it except to cause controversy? And it takes so little these days, with all of the anti-immigration business going on. IMO they wanted to create a sensation and they did.

I agree, they probably were trying to create a sensation. However, if the school administration would have just kept a little closer eye on things and otherwise ignored it, I don't think it would have caused as much of a stir as it did. All the VP did was inflame the issue and make it worse.

ETA: Typically, people pick on those they can get a reaction from. If they don't get a reaction, it's not fun and they stop. Granted, there are points that it goes too far and crosses the line into bullying, which is a different topic all together. But if you KNOW someone is just trying to get a rise out of you, ignore it. Then it's no fun. Most times they'll leave you alone once they know they can't get to you. Worked when I was in 5th grade, still works now that I'm a fully grown adult!

Personally I think choosing to wear red, white and blue on this particular day shows a sort of instigation on part of students, unless they wear those clothes every day...what other reason would they have had to do it except to cause controversy? And it takes so little these days, with all of the anti-immigration business going on. IMO they wanted to create a sensation and they did.

cluciano, thanks for this post, but I am of the belief that since our forefathers died to provide us with this wonderful land that at any time we may celebrate our feelings about it. Any American should feel that any time is appropriate to say in any way, "I love America". It would be instigation if these students had been in Mexico and worn the flag to school there, but not here. Bravo to those students that expressed their love for the USA !!!!

I am hispanic, I live in West Texas, and I am currently sitting here listening to Tejano music blaring from speakers at the high school across the street. Why?? Because the school officials think it is ok for the hispanic kids to celebrate this non American holiday because it is their right. What?? I don't get it this holiday has nothing to do with this country. My husband has already called the school and complaint because we woke up this morning and thought we had been transported to a bar in Mexico, I mean Tejano music IS bar music! Well the school kindly informed him that after lunch there would be a Tejano Band from Odessa joining the festivities. My husband told them that this is not right and it is disrespectful to us, this is a residential street. I feel like my American civil rights are being violated because I am having to sit here in my home and listen to this obnoxious noise! Sorry having to vent, I don't see that this holiday celebration is advantageous to higher learning. My husband told the school that they need to have a celebration equivalent to this on fourth of July. PS, I think I'll go outside and hang up my American flag!

Tejano music is Texan music (literally). You can't get more American than that! :Banane08:

What if there was a student of French ancestry attending the school? Equal is Equal. It should always be permissible to wear our flag images/colors on our clothes, respectfully, in the United States of America. jmo

But here's the thing...so what? I would say there is also a lot of anti-Americanism going on.

The 5th of May is nothing more than a drinking holiday like St. Patrick's Day. It should not have this much exposure at school for gosh sakes.

It's fine if the kids want to wear Mexico colors like people wear Green on St.P's Day but if 5 kids wear American Flags on that day, even if they are protesting the celebration of another country, so what?

Any American anywhere should have the right to wear the flag of our country that so many died for. Shameful to think otherwise imo.

Will the ACLU come out and defend them? Ha!

BBM

Because we live in a free country, they don't need a reason. It's not illegal to wear red, white and blue on any day. At least not yet.

I don't think the kids should have been disciplined, but I do think that, unless they were in the habit of wearing American-flag clothes occasionally (which I doubt), they were exhibiting mild anti-Mexican sentiments. If I lived in a foreign country and there was a July 4 celebration with American themes and my neighbors chose that day of all others to wear clothes displaying their country's flag, I would get the anti-American message.
So, I don't think the kids were doing anything very wrong, but I do think they were being jerks. It should have been ignored.

ETA Cluciano, I wish I'd read your post first. It said this much better!

I don't think they were being jerks at all. If they wore the clothes to make a point, that's fine. As long as they did nothing wrong what is the big deal?
This is America. Self expression of the love of your country should be ok any day of the year IMO.

cluciano, thanks for this post, but I am of the belief that since our forefathers died to provide us with this wonderful land that at any time we may celebrate our feelings about it. Any American should feel that any time is appropriate to say in any way, "I love America". It would be instigation if these students had been in Mexico and worn the flag to school there, but not here. Bravo to those students that expressed their love for the USA !!!!
:applause::applause::applause: ITA PorcineGranny

But here's the thing...so what? I would say there is also a lot of anti-Americanism going on.

The 5th of May is nothing more than a drinking holiday like St. Patrick's Day. It should not have this much exposure at school for gosh sakes.

It's fine if the kids want to wear Mexico colors like people wear Green on St.P's Day but if 5 kids wear American Flags on that day, even if they are protesting the celebration of another country, so what?

Any American anywhere should have the right to wear the flag of our country that so many died for. Shameful to think otherwise imo.
Will the ACLU come out and defend them? Ha!

BBM - NOPE!!!! Great post.

BBM - Yep, this is America and I'm so tired of chit like this I could scream!!!!! :banghead:

It may not be illegal to be patriotic, but we are to be made to feel guilty of loving our county all the time!
It's time to take back our country and quit worrying so dad gum much about hurting people's feelings. Do they worry about hurting mine? NOPE!!!!

Sad fact is, as Americans, we are losing more and more freedoms because of other people's "feelings" or "beliefs".

Enough is Enough!

I fly my flag proudly and buy products made in the USA whenever possible. I'm proud of my country and my forefathers who fought hard and died to make it the best country on Earth. If that makes me a bad person or if I hurt someone's feelings, I could care less. No One is keeping anyone here. If you prefer to go to school without having to look at Red, White, and Blue clothes, go to another country. You have the freedom to do that.

This has to change.

This is total BS! We are not the dam United States of Mexico. They do not like it head back across the border so you will not be offended. I am sick of paying for pregnant women that make it across the border and popping a baby out so they can be a US citizen. Then I can work another year to pay for it. When are people going to say enough is enough to the illegal Mexican people that come here and try to change the US.:banghead: You want my respect come legally, get a job. learn English and join me watching your paycheck shrink. Do NOT tell me not to wear the flag my dad, brother and husband fought for!!!!!!

The first few lines of the article and name of the principal say it all. A school heavily populated by Hispanics and a Hispanic principal. Years back before the massive influx of people from Mexico, this wouldn't have been going on. The majority rules and to heck with the minority students years ago and now. If there have been problems at the school, maybe they should have had a class on the 5th of May and what it means and just left the celebration for after school, but when there's a majority they get what they want . Seems to me like they would have been much better off if the French had won though. They wouldn't have to worry about what we do or don't do, and they might not have had to migrate here due to massive poverty or fear of being shot in the streets by drug lords. I'm sure Latinos would disagree with me though. My kids are like the 1% minority Caucasians in their school and have never had one problem or complaint. I don't know if they celebrated this holiday or not in the school other than having some dancers put on a show.

The funniest part of this to me is that Cinco de Mayo is NOT a big Mexican holiday. It was made into one by Americans, much like St. Patrick's Day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

It is celebrated primarily in the state of Puebla and in the United States.[4][5][6][7] While Cinco de Mayo sees limited significance and celebration nationwide in Mexico, the date is observed nationwide in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.[8] Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day,[9] the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick's_Day

In the mid-1990s the Irish government began a campaign to use Saint Patrick's Day to showcase Ireland and its culture.

And just for giggles:

http://www.thelmagazine.com/TheMeasure/archives/2010/05/05/cinco-de-mayo-st-patricks-day-part-dos

Bolded by me

I saw an interview with these students and their parents. They said that while they don't wear those T-shirts every day, it was not the first time that they had worn them to school. The principal said it was okay to wear patriotic T-shirts on any other day, just not Cinco de Mayo.

I think the Principal issued an apology for the Drinko de Mayo debacle.
link
California Principal Apologizes for Forbidding U.S. Flag Shirts on Mexican Holiday

A California high school principal has apologized for telling five students they couldn't wear U.S. flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo, the local superintendent said Friday

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/0...gizes-forbidding-flag-shirts-mexican-holiday/

One of the students is apparently half hispanic(or so I heard on the news.His Father is Mexico apparently)so that furthers clouds the issue..
I personally feel this will not be the last of this type of story we hear.

No, it won't be the last of stories like this. Because, IMO, American's are losing more and more freedoms as to not offend or hurt others' feelings. There should never be guilt for loving your country and showing your love and support by wearing red, white, and blue. IMO
A lot of people will not be happy until we are stripped from everything this country was founded on.

I mean, we have a president that refused to wear a flag on his coat for a long time. And, the people of America voted him in. But, I did notice he's wearing one now that his ratings have went down.

I am an American and would not ever wear a flag...but that is just me. I feel that the wearing of one these days is a statement that is construed as not just pride, but a sort of hostile pride, by many...and although I love this country and feel lucky to have been born here by an accident of birth (my grandparents were immigrants) I am not always especially proud of it. Lucky, glad, relieved, yes, but pride is something else. But that is just me and my opinion only.

I think the Principal issued an apology for the Drinko de Mayo debacle.
link
California Principal Apologizes for Forbidding U.S. Flag Shirts on Mexican Holiday

A California high school principal has apologized for telling five students they couldn't wear U.S. flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo, the local superintendent said Friday

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/0...gizes-forbidding-flag-shirts-mexican-holiday/

Thanks for the update JBean. I had heard the end of a clip on this (not watching TV just listening to the news on it) and the Superintendent and the school board were very unhappy about this VP's choice that day and came out almost immediately stating that.

What a fiasco this one man created. We live and learn by our mistakes, hope he does too.

Why should my child be required to attend a 2 hour Cinco de Mayo program at a public school where the students use that privilege as a reason to further harass my child? And, more importantly, why is my child being harassed almost on a daily basis for having a fair skin color and for his ethnic background?

Because our goverment won't take care of our border problem ? :waitasec:

This whole thing is beyond words for me, I just don't know what to say !

I feel pretty much the same way about St. Patrick's Day, really makes me want to get out there and wear all my American Flag clothes.

lol, never seen a post from you before, thanks for lightening the mood with humor.

Wasn't tyring to spark a whole debate on the border issue as people who have an opinoin feel pretty strongly about it, and that issue will certainly not be resolved here, among us, but this story just hit me as just ridiculous.

This is total BS! We are not the dam United States of Mexico. They do not like it head back across the border so you will not be offended. I am sick of paying for pregnant women that make it across the border and popping a baby out so they can be a US citizen. Then I can work another year to pay for it. When are people going to say enough is enough to the illegal Mexican people that come here and try to change the US.:banghead: You want my respect come legally, get a job. learn English and join me watching your paycheck shrink. Do NOT tell me not to wear the flag my dad, brother and husband fought for!!!!!!

Ok, then let's start by looking at what it exactly TAKES to be a citizen of this country.

I don't like that kids were told NOT to wear American colors, because let's face it, we ARE in america. BUT, If you don't like the "perks" as many of you call them that illegal immigrants have, then let's look at our laws that are in place in regards to becoming a citizen. ALong the same lines, nothing burns me up like a crime being committed by an illegal alien just to be sent back to their country for "punishment" to come back and try again. My answer? Make them a citizen. Make it a TEST and NOT money that makes you a citizen (please believe i Know there is a citizenship test, but I also know money talks more than any test!) THEN when a crime is committed, we punish. No one would worry about the Medicaid because let's face it as citizens they pay into it.

I agree with both sides here. It's not right for someone to come here illegally. ..but it's not right that we, as a COUNTRY of illegal people, would stop someone from wanting a better life.

I don't think most Caucasian's ancestors did come here illegally. The first ones came by ship and some worked out peace with the Indians who lived in the area until so many came moving West that mistreatment and wars broke out. Seems like the same thing is happening all over again with them coming in droves. We sure don't want fighting happening again with Mexico people and the other South Americans who can just walk or ride over in a vehicle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back