CA - American students catch heat for wearing red, white & blue on Cinco de Mayo

Wait, you list Central IL too? I wonder if we're in the same town or very near each other.

thats funny, I hadn't even noticed you were in IL. feel free to pm if you want to discuss what specific towns we are in. I have an idea based on your post where you are.

Personally I think choosing to wear red, white and blue on this particular day shows a sort of instigation on part of students, unless they wear those clothes every day...what other reason would they have had to do it except to cause controversy? And it takes so little these days, with all of the anti-immigration business going on. IMO they wanted to create a sensation and they did.
I completely agree! Was it really necessary to show their patriotism on this particular day??? It wasn't the 4th of July, they couldn't let the Mexicans just have ONE day to celebrate their heritage???:mad::razz:

I am an American and would not ever wear a flag...but that is just me. I feel that the wearing of one these days is a statement that is construed as not just pride, but a sort of hostile pride, by many...and although I love this country and feel lucky to have been born here by an accident of birth (my grandparents were immigrants) I am not always especially proud of it. Lucky, glad, relieved, yes, but pride is something else. But that is just me and my opinion only.
:clap::clap::clap:Another thing I completely agree with you on! To me, the flag has been taken over by conservative Republicans, in the vein of "Take It or Leave It/God Bless America", so I will never display an American flag, nor did I sew it on my daughter's Brownie vest, and I've told her she can fake mouth the words to the Pledge of Allegiance- she will never be forced to say it as I was in elementary school! And yes, I do hope the ACLU gets involved in this case, it's a freedom of speech issue!

I completely agree! Was it really necessary to show their patriotism on this particular day??? It wasn't the 4th of July, they couldn't let the Mexicans just have ONE day to celebrate their heritage???:mad::razz:

Mmmm last time I checked anyone could celebrate and acknowledge their heritage *any* day in the United States? I can almost guarantee that if the students saying they were disrespected were told that they could not wear anything resembling the Mexican flag one day during the year that someone would scream discrimination.

It cuts both ways, I'm afraid.

:clap::clap::clap:Another thing I completely agree with you on! To me, the flag has been taken over my conservative Republicans, in the vein of "Take It or Leave It/God Bless America", so I will never display an American flag, nor did I sew on on my daughter's Brownie vest, and I've told her she can fake mouth the words to the Pledge of Allegiance- she will never be forced to say it as I was in elementary school! And yes, I do hope the ACLU gets involved in this case, it's a freedom of speech issue!

So you DO want ACLU to get involved because it's a freedom of speech issue? Because the ones who were wearing the flag attire are the ones who were wronged. They were expressing there feelings by wearing OUR colors. We are free to do that. This is America.

Just because I like to stir the pot..... For those who believe the boys wearing the American flag were respectfully representing their country, they actually weren't. According to the Flag Code, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. " (Section 8d)

Also, in response to the poster who mentioned the American flag and Mexican flag flying at the same height, that is actually appropriate during times of peace. (Section 7g)

Here is a link to the full Flag Code. http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

So you DO want ACLU to get involved because it's a freedom of speech issue? Because the ones who were wearing the flag attire are the ones who were wronged. They were expressing there feelings by wearing OUR colors. We are free to do that. This is America.
I don't believe they were wronged in any way. They were not harmed, they were purposely trying to offend Mexican Americans on the one day which is theirs to celebrate. Even the local conservative Hispanic columinist wrote that these boys were out to instigate! If I find his column, I'll link it...

Here it is: http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_...contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com

They were most certainly wronged. It's a darn shame when we are made to remove our colors in fear of hurting someone else's feelings. GMAB

You stated ACLU should get involved because of freedom of speech. Well, what ever the reason those boys were wearing those clothes that day, they were expressing their feelings. Why would this not fall under freedom of speech?
I guess because ACLU only gets involved in some groups' rights being stepped on. Those boys don't fit in ACLU's normal battles do they?

This is still America and we are allowed to wear red, white, and blue last I checked. No matter the day of the year or the "holliday" others want to recognize.

Mmmm last time I checked anyone could celebrate and acknowledge their heritage *any* day in the United States? I can almost guarantee that if the students saying they were disrespected were told that they could not wear anything resembling the Mexican flag one day during the year that someone would scream discrimination.

It cuts both ways, I'm afraid.

Yeah, that's a battle the ACLU would jump right into. But, it's ok for Americans to be discriminated against.
This politically correct BS is ruining this country.
Take all our rights and freedoms away, and hand everybody else much much more. SICK

The flag code applies to the use of actual flags. These kids were not dressed in actual flags.

If you interpret the code to mean that there can be no depiction of a US flag on clothing in any way, shape or form the uniforms of every member of our armed services are going to need to be redone to eliminate the flag patches.

Actually, the code does allow for military, police, firefighters, and patriotic groups to wear flag patches on their uniforms. (Section 8j)

Should Mexican Americans be proscribed from waving Mexican flags on US holidays for the same reason?
That's a straw man argument, because that doesn't happen.

You know what? You are 100% correct. I should have said American but my focus was not on nationality but rather me NOT being Latino and yet expecting them to bow to my continent's holiday while in a predominately brown country. The conflict described in this thread is not between Americans and Mexicans, it is between a small group of predominately white students and Latinos all of whom are Americans. But you are right, I should have used the term American as it could obviously be seen as *shudder* racist to refer to myself as white. The politically correct police will come and haul me away if I do not choose my words more carefully. I stand corrected and apologize.
Don't get it twisted. Americans come in colors other than white. You were talking about being "an American" and then went and substituted it for being "a white person". FYI - there are white - very white latinos.

So there has never, once, in history, been a Mexican flag flown at a 4th of July celebration?
There has in Albany, NY - along with many other flags!

Well, it's then a real argument.

Suppose I go in and beat the crap out of the person waving that flag. Are they now at fault because they knew full well it could "incite" me? Can I make the argument that they know what they were doing so they bear the responsibility for the results? Am I blameless if I do so?

Because if you reverse the positions that's what the school officials are saying.
Well, yeah! I agree! I never said that I agreed with the way the school handled the situation!

Oh, I'm not arguing with you, just bouncing off your posts.
Thank you, . After reading your post, it made me realize that I forgot to mention that I did not agree with the way the school handled it.

There has in Albany, NY - along with many other flags!

They do it in Texas, too.

I have to say, it's sad to see arguments and defenses about this case. The idea that any American should be told not to wear an American flag for the sake of protecting the hypersensitivities of people of other nationalities is reprehensible to me. To see debate about it made with deflections, nitpicking, and fingerpointing makes me feel that political convictions have overcome common sense, IMO.

People who are here from other countries should be (and often are) among the first to appreciate all our flag represents, because otherwise, they wouldn't be here.

If you have a problem with our flag, our language, or our constitution, please, just don't come here. It's that simple.

I have to say, it's sad to see arguments and defenses about this case. The idea that any American should be told not to wear an American flag for the sake of protecting the hypersensitivities of people of other nationalities is reprehensible to me. To see debate about it made with deflections, nitpicking, and fingerpointing makes me feel that political convictions have overcome common sense, IMO.

People who are here from other countries should be (and often are) among the first to appreciate all our flag represents, because otherwise, they wouldn't be here.

If you have a problem with our flag, our language, or our constitution, please, just don't come here. It's that simple.

See, I am just wondering whether or not those students had a problem vs. the school over-reacting. Was there one side with the Mexican flag-bearing student glaring at those who wore red, white and blue? I don't think so, but of course, I could be wrong.

Also, is there a chance that some students who never wore red, white and blue, chose to wear it that day, in defiance? I've been around for almost 57 years, and I the only time I see a teen-ager wearing red, white and blue is on a holiday or in a parade. Really, it is just not that fashionable!

Whatever, I still don't like the way the school handled it.

See, I am just wondering whether or not those students had a problem vs. the school over-reacting. Was there one side with the Mexican flag-bearing student glaring at those who wore red, white and blue? I don't think so, but of course, I could be wrong.

Also, is there a chance that some students who never wore red, white and blue, chose to wear it that day, in defiance? I've been around for almost 57 years, and I the only time I see a teen-ager wearing red, white and blue is on a holiday or in a parade. Really, it is just not that fashionable!

Whatever, I still don't like the way the school handled it.

Yeah, it was bad.

Regarding whether it was the school or the students overreacting, apparently it was some of both, though I don't know who complained first. See article here.

As for whether the kids wore them in defiance or not, I think it's a matter of definition. i.e., "defiance" has a negative connotation to some, but to me, I see nothing negative at all in choosing to demonstrate a love for our American flag on that day, even if it was done to show that they loved it more.
They are Americans, in America, showing pride in their country. I see no fair reason to assume hostility, and jmo, but I think when it is assumed, it's not unlikely to be because of some projection, bias, or hypersensitivity of the assumer.

Someone said in an earlier post that we are becoming over-run with people looking for things to be offended by. I agree. People no longer ask whether or not a point is logical and reasonable; they react according to whether or not someone's sensitivities will be hurt by it. Replacing rational standards with emotion-driven standards like that is a recipe for disaster. imo :eek:

Bue we as Americans bow down to them and give up our own freedoms as to not hurt their feelings. :waitasec:
And if we don't, then we are trouble makers.

BS!

If I moved to another country, I would expect to conform to their ways and cultures. I would not expect them to change the way they live so that they don't hurt my feelings.
I think America is the only country with that carppy mind set. It's the politically correct carp.

I'm a firm believer that if you want to live here, come here legally, learn the language, work hard for what you get, and stay out of trouble. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be here. I'm sorry if that hurts anybody's feelings...freedom of speech and all, you know, it lets me say what I feel. You don't have to agree with me. That's what's great about being an American.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back