Found Alive CA - Angelina Hernandez, 23, San Mateo County, 6 Jul 2018

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Snoopster

Snoopster Well-Known Member

So what does this mean?

It appears that LE has satisfied themselves that Angela left Safeway in Half Moon Bay, drove south, past Davenport and through Santa Cruz area, to make it into Monterey County.

So why was her phone pinging in Davenport area? Did she forget to charge her phone and it died there? Did she turn off her phone to save the battery until she made further progress on her trip?

Was she actually "seen" in her vehicle on the CCTV? Or was it just her vehicle?

So what next?

2. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

3. markiemapes

markiemapes Member

4. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

I'm in Monterey County. Seems like she was driving down the coast on Hwy.1, a great scenic drive. I wish we had more info; for example, did she remember to bring her cell phone charger, did she have a car charger for openers. Did she have any medical problems such as asthma? Cell phone coverage can be spotty once you get into the more remote areas. Hwy 1 is windy and narrow in places, and I think it is still closed in the spot where they are fixing the mudslide. I will google. I am very worried about Angelina; she was keeping in touch with her family and then nothing. Where is she?

5. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

6. Snoopster

Great report.
    So, it seems that San Mateo LE passed on info to Monterey Co. LE that cell phone of Angelina was there. Monterey Co. found a business, Carmel Station Highlands Station & General Store, that had CCTV showing a similar vehicle driving by. The reporter said that he couldn't read the license plate. That tells me that they also couldn't confirm that Angelina was driving the vehicle.

Having said that, it's a pretty straight drive, based on time, between the time Angelina texted her sister saying she was just heading hour from Half Moon Bay (7:54 am) and the time the suspect vehicle was caught on cam in Carmel Highlands (~9:30). According to google maps the drive would take 45 minutes. So, that would imply no time for a detour or delay.

Here is where the vehicle was caught on CCTV:
    Google Maps

7. markiemapes

markiemapes Member

Right now there is major road work happening near Carmel and the drive is often bottle necked adding a lot of time to the drive.
    Road Report: Highway 1 climbing lane in Carmel, Las Lomas utility relocation projects underway

8. markiemapes

markiemapes Member

9. Biggles

Biggles Not a person of interest

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Woman-who-went-missing-off-coast-last-seen-in-13070194.php

It sounds like Hernandez may have covered quite a bit more ground on Friday July 6 than first believed. If she got all the way to the Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd, she'd have been turning onto a very windy road, a long one that basically goes nowhere and takes plenty of time to get there. And the terrain is unforgiving. I took a look on google maps and didn't see (m)any guardrails, either.

One thing to consider - there aren't a lot of chances to buy gasoline once you are south of the Carmel Highlands. If her tank was running low as she turned onto that road, there's no way she'd have made it to the end. If she ran out of gas and subsequently got lost or stuck trying to walk out, perhaps she might still be found OK. Gotta hope they are already searching that road from the air.

edit: it is puzzling that her phone seemed to go no farther than the region around Davenport... I mean it's just hard to see how that happens accidentally. She stops to stretch, gets out, sets down her phone on a fence post or what have you... then forgets it?

10. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

Here phone last pinged in the Big Sur area.
    Authorities Search For Missing Oregon Woman Near Monterey

Just south of there is a detour due to road closure from a massive mudslide. It's been closed a while, set to reopen in September. The posted detour is if you are headed south from the closure you backtrack North 8.5 miles to Nacimiento Road to Highway 101 (60 miles)
    The stretch of California's Highway 1 that has been closed due to a landslide is set to reopen in September

Her sister has stated on social media she is afraid that Angela took this road as a detour around the closed area, as that's about the time she went silent.

Here is a video of the road.

Lots of sheer drop-offs straight into the ocean, no guardrails and there was fog in the area.

Praying for her family, I don't have a good feeling about this.

11. MFH

MFH Well-Known Member

Has this already been posted on here? #findangelinahernandez page started by family:

ETA: I know it says log in to Facebook, but it should go to the page. I don’t know how to make it say the page name, if anyone has suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  12. Snoopster

Timeline as I understand it:

- Thursday July 5 in the evening Angela texted her sister that she pulled over when it got dark (per visual of text message on video). She was going to sleep in her Jeep in the Safeway parking lot in Half Moon Bay. (Portland to Half Moon Bay is about 11 hours according to google maps.)
    - 7:54 am Friday July 6 - Angela texted her sister saying she was 'about to start driving' (time seen in the video showing the text messages)
    - ~9:30 am Friday July 6 - Angela's vehicle caught on CCTV driving past Carmel Station Highlands Station & General Store in Monterey County. This is about 95 miles (2 hours drive) south of Half Moon Bay. The video wasn't discovered until several days later.
    - Saturday San Mateo LE detect signal from Angela's phone bouncing off a tower near Davenport, about 40 miles south of Half Moon Bay.
    - Monday, Sheriff's deputies searched the Davenport area by air, which was the same day the cell signal disappeared from the area.
    - Wednesday July 13 San Mateo Co SO discovers the video evidence that Angela's vehicle was spotted on video in Monterey County and turned the investigation over to them. Monterey Co. officials searched using multiple units, including drones. The fog did not allow a plane to go up.

--

So many questions. Why was AH's cell phone pinging for several days in the Davenport area? That implies that the phone remained in that area, while AH's vehicle continued south to at least the Carmel Hills area.

I got the cell phone info from here:
    https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Woman-who-went-missing-off-coast-last-seen-in-13070194.php

ETA: changed distance between Half Moon Bay and Carmel Station Heights.

13. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

That's a 2 hour drive from Half Moon Bay, maybe a bit over an hour from Davenport, which is closer to Santa Cruz.

14. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

You CANNOT get to Carmel Highlands from Half Moon Bay in 90 minutes, at least not in a car. That drive is no less than two hours without traffic. I am local, and have driven Hwy 1 to Half Moon Bay many times.

15. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

(Sorry for the double post - I can't find the DELETE button.)

16. Snoopster

I've since edited my post to correct the timing/distance. Thanks for the info. I checked it on google maps and it is 2 hours drive and 95 miles.

So how did Angela's vehicle get there in just over 1 1/2 hours? Are they sure it was her vehicle?

17. Biggles

18. PleaseResist

PleaseResist New Member

FYI about the detour road: it turns east off of highway 1 so the drop offs aren’t actually into the ocean unless a car were to pass over highway 1 on its way to dropping into the water. There are bad drop offs just not into ocean. So I’m thinking she took the detour, went off the road and she’s stuck somewhere on the mountain.

19. Biggles

I think it would depend on how she drove. If you ask Google maps right now how long it takes to drive from HMB to Davenport, it says 48 minutes with "the usual traffic". But it's only a drive distance of 38 miles. If Angela was able to average 75 - and plenty of cars go that fast on that stretch of road - she could cover that distance in roughly 30 minutes.

A southbound driver would hit some traffic and traffic control going through the Santa Cruz/Capitola/Aptos metro area, but once south of there the road opens up again. I think it highly probable she'd be able to do 70+ mph over the Watsonville->Castroville stretch, and probably even beyond (through the 'cities' of Marina and Sand City) until coming into Monterey. Monterey can be congested but on a Friday at 9:00am-ish, it would probably be pretty smooth sailing.

That said, Highway 1 through Carmel has lots of grades and several stoplights which will slow commute times. And once you're south of Carmel the road is curvy and full of tourists, so speed is checked there. But if the footage came from the gas station at the Highlands, that's only 2-3 miles south of Carmel proper. So I think it's entirely possible she could have covered that particular distance in ~95 minutes. (edit: I see that Kapua says otherwise. I'm just going off what I've experienced over the years. My family drives to the Highlands once per year so I know that particular area well. My take is that people drive Highway 1 really, really fast unless traffic is bad, i.e. when the PGA tour comes to Monterey, etc.)

20. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

Good question. I'm thinking that either the time she called or the time she was spotted was incorrect.

I am very worried about Angelina. They haven't even found her car. I hope it didn't leave the roadway and tumble over the cliff on Hwy. 1. I hope she is safe somewhere. But it's not looking good.