GUILTY CA - Annie Hung 'Kim' Pham, 23, dies from beating outside Santa Ana nightclub

Kim Pham beating: Two women charged in Pham's death face trial in April
Ed Joyce | February 28th, 2014, 1:36pm

A trial date was set by an Orange County Superior Court judge Friday for two women charged with murder in connection with the beating death of Kim Pham.

(snip)
They also face a sentencing enhancement of inflicting great bodily harm. If the women are conicted, the enhancement means the judge can impose a longer prison sentence.

(snip)
They each face a maximum sentence of 15 years to life in state prison if found guilty.

(snip)
But just who started the fight outside The Crosby is in dispute.

(snip)
One video shows Pham wrestling with another woman on a sidewalk. As they struggle, a woman in a white blouse, black jacket and boots approaches and appears to kick Pham in the head. Prosecutors say the woman doing the kicking is Zavala. Immediately after the kick, Pham goes limp and the clip ends with her friends lifting her by her arms as they try to carry her away.

Other footage appears to show Brito kicking Pham as well before Brito is knocked to the ground by another woman.

Police are still seeking to interview a third woman, identified in court testimony as "Amelia," who they say is the person wrestling on the ground with Pham when she is kicked.

(snip)
The two defendants are scheduled to be back in court for a pre-trial hearing March 21.

More@Link
http://www.scpr.org/news/2014/02/28/42521/kim-pham-beating-two-women-charged-with-murder-fac/

Trial is set for April 14th

Wow, this case is quickly going to trial! I haven't seen the videos that show Pham being kicked. Are they available?

Kim Pham Murder Trial Scheduled to Begin April 14
By Matt Coker Mon., Mar. 3 2014 at 7:33 AM

(snip)
Molfetta has claimed Pham started the melee, that she was the aggressor and that she was with a group composed of people with ties to Asian gangs.

Meanwhile, Pino and Santa Ana police investigators have publicly stated they need more witnesses to come forward, calling this an ongoing investigation.

(snip)
Before the trial starts, Brito and Zavala are due back in court March 21 for a pre-trial hearing.

More@Link
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/03/kim_pham_april_14_trial.php

This case was discussed this morning on the local radio, Bill Handle show. They stated that it is the defense that has pushed for the "speedy trial" that is guaranteed all defendents in the U.S.

They were saying the the reason it usually doesn't go this quickly is because the defense usually wants more time to build their case and that it can also be beneficial to the prosecution to have more time, alhtough the defendent always has the right to demand it.

If the prosecution is asking for more witnesses to come forward and stating it is an ongoing case, it would appear that the strategy is to move so fast the prosecution does not have enough witnesses. That was the speculation at least, cannot say if it is accurate.

Still no news on Amelia? Very strange that, as I'm sure I read police knew who she was but were 'having difficulty locating her' or something like that.

I can't believe everyone who saw this hasn't come forward. I cannot imagine seeing a person kicked to death in front of me and not speaking out. That sort of thing is contagious; you don't speak out for me, I don't speak out for you, we don't speak out for them....that road leads to a very frightening place, imo.

Come to think of it, 85 pounds at a height of 5'1" is kid size. I do hope the prosecution drives hammers this point in during trial.

I am 5 ft 1 inches and when i weighed 85 lbs, I could wear my 5 year old son's clothes, such as his shorts with the elastic waist and shirts. I could wear a size 1 (or 0) jeans and still be able to wear long -johns underneath those jeans.

I was 5 ft 1 and 85 lbs as a young teen and later in my 30's when i became severely ill. To be 5 ft 1 and 85 lbs is usually a sign of a very petite person , an undeveloped child/teen or someone who is underweight, (of course body type/frame size makes a difference).

I definitely hope the prosecution has a woman of Annie's height and build to show what a petite and lightweight person that she was compared to her attackers who were substantially heavier/taller women.

Column One

Tender Care and a Painful Goodbye to Kim Pham

Doctors and nurses at St. Joseph Hospital all wanted to tend to the broken yet beautiful 23-year-old. Then they became part of an unforgettable farewell.
By Anh Do
March 24, 2014

Just after midnight, paramedics rolled a stretcher with a heavily bruised woman into the emergency room at St. Joseph Hospital in Orange. Aside from a credit card, she had no belongings. The only person accompanying her was a Santa Ana police detective.

She looked so young, so alone.

By the time Shannon Semler had finished the paperwork and admitted Kim Pham to the ICU on that January day, it was past 7 a.m. Questions darted through the nurse's mind. The patient was slight and — even with severe injuries to her head — strikingly pretty. Something very violent had happened.

"I knew by looking at her that she had been attacked," Semler said. "But we're not a trauma center — what is she doing here?"

(snip)
Semler tried to focus on the young woman lying on the pale white sheets as physicians conducted tests to determine the level of Pham's brain activity. After a while, a neurosurgeon pulled some of the nurses aside and spoke to them in confidence.

She was brain-dead.

(snip)
By the next day, Jan. 19, at 12:36 p.m., Pham was pronounced dead.

And for the next three days, she remained on life support while her family waited for her older brother to fly in from Puerto Rico. He wanted to say goodbye.

(snip)
Pham's father had no idea that his youngest daughter had long ago registered as an organ donor. It went against the beliefs he'd been raised with in Vietnam. But during the long hours at St. Joseph, he had time to become reconciled with her choice.

Before the nurses wheeled Pham out of ICU, Semler cleaned her body and then stood back as one of the woman's friends combed and braided her hair, then crowned her head with a flower wreath.

Friends, family members, nurses and staffers stood in line as workers wheeled her bed down the hallway, clattering on the tiles.

Dung Pham, the father of Kim Pham. He could only watch as his daughter's gurney disappeared down the corridor.

"It was one of the most amazing events I have ever witnessed," recalled Linda Winston, an in-house counselor to the staff at St. Joseph. "The halls were lined with those who loved her, and the silence was loud with respect for this little body.

(snip)
Pham's father could only watch as his daughter disappeared down the corridor.

"I saw his expression — shattered," Bogert said. "He thought he wouldn't have a chance to say goodbye."

Bogert opened the doors and walked Dung Pham to the gurney, a final moment between father and daughter.

And then she was gone.

(MUCH more @ link)
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-ff-kim-pham-hospital-20140324-dto,0,377214.htmlstory#axzz2xYNgkD1A

Kim Pham's legacy continues to be revealed, and this incredibly poignant piece by Anh Do of the LA Times captures how Kim, her family, and friends, truly touched the staff at the hospital, where she spent her last days. Further, she truly lives on, in the lives she has saved in her selfless choice to be an organ and tissue donor.

I am in tears, knowing that regardless of the negativity of the trial that remains for the Pham Family, nothing will ever take away the positive aspect of this choice Kim made. Kim was taken, extinguished brutally, senselessly, and that I will never understand. Reading this story in its entirety helps to alleviate some of that, and I send my heartfelt prayers to her family for the journey that lies ahead.

#JusticeForKimPham

First, let me direct the community to KCAL9, Suzie Suh reporting, on April 15 and April 25. This is a local station broadcasting in prime time. I suspect few people saw these reports.

Second, let me articulate my thanks to slowmotionapocolyse and Kimi_SFC. I found WEBSLUETHS by searching Pham Zavala Brito toxicology.

Third, I am new to the thread. Therefore, I will only pose questions. If my questions have already been answered, I apologize for the redundancy.

[modsnip], my 20 questions are in the form of a 5x4 matrix: 5 rows labeled by time and place, 2 columns labeled by toxicology/psychology, [modsnip] I can hope that the toxicology reports include searches for European berzerker drugs, Mid-eastern assassin drugs, and Asian kamikazi drugs. The questions concern 3 entities: Theresa Annie Hung Kim Pham, the Crosby companions, [modsnip].

My 20 questions are:
Row 1: Theresa Annie Hung Kim Pham at her residence before the Crosby companions arrived:
Column A: What was Theresa Annie Hung Kim Pham's toxicology profile at this time?
Column B: What is the behavior psychology associated with this toxicology profile?
[modsnip]

Row 2: Theresa Annie Hung Kim Pham departing her residence with the Crosby companions:
Column A: What was Theresa Annie Hung Kim Pham's toxicology profile at this time?
Column B: What is the behavior psychology associated with this toxicology profile?
[modsnip]

Row 3: Theresa Annie Hung Kim Pham in line at the Crosby with the Crosby companions:
[modsnip]

Row 4: Theresa Annie Hung Kim Pham in the transport vehicle from the Crosby to the hospital:
[modsnip]

Row 5:Theresa Annie Hung Kim Pham just before her organs were harvested:
[modsnip]

Acknowledge modsnip.

Whereas this event became a murder investigation about 12 hours after the fact and at a remote location:
Were Theresa Annie Hung Kim Pham's garments, as they were in the transport vehicle, preserved as physical and chemical evidence?
Were Theresa Annie Hung Kim Pham's fingernails scraped for tissue evidence before she was courteously washed?

Moderator questions should be sent to the mod through the pm system. You can find a link to the pm system by looking at the top right corner of the page and clicking on the link that says "private messages."

Thanks!

Salem

I was involved in a similar incident of blunt force trauma to the head. In Abilene, TX, reports also appeared in The Optimist, The Brand, and the Reporter News.
Here is the the Obituary I wrote;

with revisions suggested by interested officials and persons: v5
revised, updated, and augmented

OBITUARY: JOHN LEE

Our gracious colleague and lunch companion, JOHN LEE, Chinese Chef Extraodinaire, was miraculously excused from the ravages of extreme old age. John departed "This World Of Woe" de facto Wednesday evening, September 7, 2011, medically 10:00 AM September 9, 2011, and de jure (Justice of the Peace) 3:12 PM. John's legal death was delayed on the possibility of his being an organ donor but was defined after his body was requested for a police autopsy. John's body was in the care of the Tarrant County Medical Examiner until returned to Abilene Funeral Home. The autopsy reported that John Lee died from blunt force trauma to the head. <Internment arrangements are still pending as noted in what follows.>

A Memorial Service for John is pending <The Mission possibly?.>

John's real given name remains a mystery. <Li XianSheng / Chien Shen Lee> simply translates, "Mr. Lee." He was born in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, <August 19,. 1931/1932> where he lived until 1948. John's parents were <father: Tak L Lee> and <mother: Sue Chien Chang>. John mentioned a younger sister but lost contact with her some 15 years ago. Mr. Lee joined the navy of Chaing Kai-shek in Taiwan, where he served honorably and in a high position. John left Taiwan in 1972 and immigrated to the United States. He owned and operated a large Chinese Restaurant in Arlington, Virginia. Next, he had a huge Chinese Restaurant in Dallas, Texas. At first in Abilene, he worked as a cook at China Cafe Restaurant (now Zoo Kini's). John's most recent employment was the Chinese specialty stall in the food service court of Abilene Christian University. After retiring in 2008, John became a regular client of the lunch service at Rose Park.

A search for next of kin continues, the younger sister specifically. John's friends are his survivors. His person-to-contact-in-case-of-emergency, TF and her two children are closest. [modsnip], both of ACU Food Service and Rose Park, is your writer. The clientele of Rose Park Senior Citizens Center will miss John. He is remembered fondly by many in the worldwide ACU Community and by friends and colleagues in the U.S. and China.

TF < for internment arrangements>

[modsnip] In Memory of John Lee and every elderly person who has died of gratuitous violence, psychological abuse, or willful neglect.

Submitted by:
[modsnip]

Tomorrow, if expedient, I will post some details and the disposition of the three persons involved.Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Family think jury selection may run over into Tuesday, with opening statements Wednesday. (I LOVE that 4th July cake they made with strawberries - what a great idea!)

https://www.facebook.com/justiceforkimpham

I'll try and find if any trial tweeters are following Kim's case.

ETA: This was in reply to roundtheworld16, post 113 above. I keep forgetting to quote reply with the new layout, for some reason.

I think the forensic investigators and the medical examiner in this case are very good. I think they will have collected all evidence possible.

I don't think tox results have been released to the public, and don't think they will be until the cause of death is discussed at the trial.

'The Kim Pham murder trail is finally set to begin next week. You may recall that Kim Pham was the young lady who was literally kicked to death by female patrons, including Marie Brito and Vanesa Zavala, of the now-defunct Crosby bar, a hipster joint in Downtown Santa Ana that is now called the North Left.'

The msg family posted on the FB page is also posted within this article.

http://newsantaana.com/2014/07/06/kim-pham-murder-trial-to-start-with-jury-selection-on-monday/

Thank you zwie for the update :heartluv:

My family lives around the corner from the Courthouse. The local Westminster library branch is across the street, and my Ma visits weekly to check out books in Vietnamese, and socialize with friends.

Although the case has faded from the news media, it remains at the forefront of discussions, especially with the "elders" who have watched generations of their families immigrate to the U.S., and experience a life like Kim's - living a life of dualities. Although every person's experience is different, I share some commonalities with her life story that resonate, especially with her family members that are AmerAsian. It is one of the reasons this case means so much to me.

I am deeply concerned about how things will go, and can only hope for the best. No matter what, IMO Kim did not deserve to lose her life. I hope with all of my heart that DA Pino will be able to convince the jury that this case is centered around what happened once Kim was on the ground, and no longer a threat.

She deserved to continue to contribute to the world, to learn lessons, to make mistakes, learn from them, to love and be loved. That was taken from her, brutally, and her family is left to continue to try to live without her each day. Their pain is tremendous. :cry: I know that her words and her selfless gift of organ donation live on, but nothing can ever replace her. :no:

May there finally be #JusticeForKimPham and :justice: for her family and friends. :please:

:rose:

#RIPKim

:praying:

:candle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics