CA - Arcadia Mystery Poltergeist May 1976

chatnoir84

Reaction score
Not much coverage on this story. I am just curious where in Arcadia, CA this happened and if there are any updates. I recall one message board stated the home was actually located in Temple City.

Here is as excerpt from a site:

Arcadia - The Arcadia Poltergeist
In May 1976 on a memorial night Rocks of all sizes started lifting off the ground and hitting places, people, and breaking windows to cars and houses. No-one was able to explain it. It was happening on and off for three months. It was investigated by Duke University and was written up in the LA Times. There was no explanation given to the people who were attacked by this strange occurrence. It seems it was merely Covered up and forgotten.

More details:
The Mystery of Arcadia’s Poltergeist
The Mystery of Arcadia’s Poltergeist
History is filled with numerous paranormal incidents that remain unsolved to this day. As much as you would love to travel back in time to revisit those moments, the only way to truly immerse in these is through words from yours truly and the people who went through them. One of such incidents is the Arcadia poltergeist attack back in 1976.

What Happened
In May 1976, right around Memorial Day, rocks of varying sizes were lifted off the ground by an unseen entity, hitting people and damaging windows and cars.

This continued on and off for three months, stopping around Labor Day in September that year.

The strange occurrence was supposedly covered by the LA Times over the span of six weeks and even Duke University thoroughly investigated it.

However, like the police, who were pelted by the rocks as well, the university refrains from commenting on this story now.

As for the published series, you will need to look it up in a local library or the LA library as the 1976 LA Times newspapers haven’t been digitized.

Why It Happened
According to one of the residents, the attack was targeting one of the families there.

In fact, every time she was at their home or driving with them, pebbles, rocks and even boulders would pellet them.

One Saturday night my family went over to their house for a BBQ, we were all outside around dusk when it started raining small pebbles.

I clearly remember my father and his friend searching the streets surrounding the house for teenagers possibly throwing these pebbles. The police were even called. Nothing ever turned up.

This went on for weeks, windows were broke out and it even rained rocks at my house one time when they were over visiting.

Even odder we all piled into a car and were driving to the store when it began raining rocks on the car, where ever we drove.

As the weeks went on the pebbles turned into rocks, the rocks into boulders, the boulders into concrete slabs.

The windows to their home had been broke and replaced so many times they finally gave up and covered the windows with sheets of plywood.

One night after bowling we all headed over to their home. I remember by this time being frightened to be at their house.

My dad and his friend had a few beers at bowling and were feeling pretty good. The friend got on the top of his roof and yelled “Come on, hit me now!!” I swear on everything that I am a Big Rock came down from the sky, angled itself, so that it could smack him straight in the head.”

Duke University further pinpointed that it was their 16-year-old daughter who was attracting the poltergeist with her energy.

However, as the university wrapped up its investigation, the rocks stopped as well.

Found it. It was the Temple City home of Jim and Donna Siry and their 3 children. It started Memorial Day 1977 and lasted until August of that year. It was so unrelenting they didn't continue to replace the windows, they just boarded them up until they were living with only two windows. Temple City Station Det. Jack Rohrer said they had suspicions about who was throwing them, but couldn't get proof. "The sheriff's department and the Sirys discounted the theory of spirits in the incident." -- Arcadia Tribune, 4 August 1977, page 34

According to another article, their children were girls, ages 12, 8 and 6. So not teenagers, who might have attracted such attention.

Found it. It was the Temple City home of Jim and Donna Siry and their 3 children. It started Memorial Day 1977 and lasted until August of that year. It was so unrelenting they didn't continue to replace the windows, they just boarded them up until they were living with only two windows. Temple City Station Det. Jack Rohrer said they had suspicions about who was throwing them, but couldn't get proof. "The sheriff's department and the Sirys discounted the theory of spirits in the incident." -- Arcadia Tribune, 4 August 1977, page 34

According to another article, their children were girls, ages 12, 8 and 6. So not teenagers, who might have attracted such attention.
Thank you!!!

Can anyone find any genuine articles about this?? Super interesting! Would love to see the Duke's report on this whole scenario

Nope! I was like "I'm so on this" then found very little information.

May I add that was disappointing.

Nope! I was like "I'm so on this" then found very little information.

May I add that was disappointing.
Tell me about it. Every other week I peel apart a cold case, hoping to find info that hasn't been found before. I have this weird idea that I hope to help solve the "unsolvables" in my area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back