CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow the money
Yes, money talks!

How about following the money that was recently used to buy the new truck and RV (within the last few months or so before BT went missing according to her family in HK per the VI)?

Going back aways to very early threads, the new rig that was recently purchased by RT and BT (? haven't seen the title, but 'they' both as a married couple presumably owned it, and were possibly testing it out in the desert on a camping trip when they pulled over to the side of the road and.... she vanished) was probably worth upwards of $100,000. That's 'money' that talks and says something, MOOdy MOO

Yes, money talks!

How about following the money that was recently used to buy the new truck and RV (within the last few months or so before BT went missing according to her family in HK per the VI)?

Going back aways to very early threads, the new rig that was recently purchased by RT and BT (? haven't seen the title, but 'they' both as a married couple presumably owned it, and were possibly testing it out in the desert on a camping trip when they pulled over to the side of the road and.... she vanished) was probably worth upwards of $100,000. That's 'money' that talks and says something, MOOdy MOO

It may not really be a significant amount of money to follow. I think most people who buy a new truck and RV make payments rather than pay cash, so it may just be a down payment and a few monthly payments tied up in them so far. You can drive through lots of middle class/working class neighborhoods in parts of San Diego, for example, and several houses on each block have an RV parked in the driveway that they take to the desert. The bank owns most of them until they’re paid off. There’s no money to follow in most cases.

Yes, money talks!

The truck alone could cost between $45,000 and $83,000 (without negotiation).

It may not really be a significant amount of money to follow. I think most people who buy a new truck and RV make payments rather than pay cash, so it may just be a down payment and a few monthly payments tied up in them so far. You can drive through lots of middle class/working class neighborhoods in parts of San Diego, for example, and several houses on each block have an RV parked in the driveway that they take to the desert. The bank owns most of them until they’re paid off. There’s no money to follow in most cases.
Owning these is incredibly common out in my neck of the woods also. There is a local KOA people go to and there must be 50 rigs like that or bigger parked all summer. Nobody is paying cash for those.

My parents got a reverse mortgage on their house and used the money to buy a used Ranger pickup and a used 30 ft motorhome because they didn't have the cash or the ability to make loan payments.

JUL 17, 2019
Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'
[...]

Robert says they had taken a short trip in their camper when they decided to pull up and go for a 2-mile walk to explore rock formations. They took a pack, beer and a gallon of water...

They were on their way back to the camper when Bob said his wife started pulling ahead. He told her he wanted to take a picture of a rock formation and as he put his camera away, he saw her rounding a corner.

"That’s the last I ever saw of her," he said.

When he reached the corner and didn’t see her, he assumed he’d find her sitting outside their camper, he said. But when he got to the vehicle, the door was locked.

"I hollered her name and I waved my arms, and I looked around the area and I saw that she wasn’t anywhere around. She didn't respond. I got really panicky," he said.

[...]

"I feel like someone did pick her up because she was wearing a bikini, she had a beer in her hand and she was ahead of me and she had to cross that road," he said.

Thomas said the police consider him the prime suspect "because it was just the two of us." He went for a polygraph test and authorities told him he was being deceptive, but Thomas said he had not had any sleep when he took the test.

[...]

JUL 20, 2019
News Update!!: Essex, CA: Search for hiker Barbara Thomas continues Saturday as a week goes by since becoming missing.
[...]

Eighty (80) Search and Rescue members from throughout the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department were deployed into the field this morning just after sunrise. Off-road vehicles, K9 units, certified in cave searches, rope climbing and desert terrain ground hikers are being utilized today. Aviation will be assisting throughout the search operation.

There has been no evidence of Barbara Thomas located on previous days.

[...]
WHERE IS BARBARA?

I don't think of them as having been "camping". I think of them as having been doing something more like "day-tripping".

Also, although LE has never said and I'm sure have plenty of ideas, the primary reason they would tell someone they had failed a lie detector test, is because they wanted to scare some truth out of them.

We cannot say more, because we don't know what the actual results were.

Frankly, we can't even say if they were consistent or inconsistent. LE can hint or outright say something like "you failed", even if they are going on a hunch; and if RT was seen as deceptive on only 2% of the questions.

Lots of people have been told they "failed/didn't pass" lie detector tests in the past. It may in fact be that police department's official or unofficial policy, to always assume first that the spouse did away with their missing partner because statistically, it's usually a spouse/spousal equivalent who does; and to always assume the spouse is lying about it regardless of the results of a lie detector test.

JUL 16, 2019
Woman Goes Missing Without Supplies in Mojave Desert Amid High Temperatures
Thomas’ husband told KTNV that they took their trailer to the desert for the weekend.
responding from cell, apologies for spelling.mistakes.

our family in hong kong spoke to her last week... wed i think it.was, and she mentioned.they were going.camping and might be out.of touch for a.few.days
They had chairs set up in the shade of the camper, I assume an awning. That is where Robbie expected to see her when he returned.

So, I imagine the intended destination was some kind of camping/RV parking spot. They decided to stop alongside the road and go for a short, 2-mile hike. he intended destination was some kind of camping spot. Otherwise, they woudn't have brought the camper.

The above and the herbal life connection are neither speculation nor rumour.
Only Barb was coming, and she made a similar solo trip a few months back.

All flights were booked and she had a hotel reservation as well.

She spoke to my father and his wife last Wed and mentioned upcoming camping trip.

I don’t think it was wrong but I feel it might be unusual if it was early in the day. And that makes me wonder if they’re big drinkers. No judgment here, I just finished a glass of wine. What is weird to me is RT seeming to suggest it made her attractive to a predator.

I’m trying to present a scenario here that would look more kindly upon RT regarding his “she had a beer in her hand” statement, but maybe it is less kind to Barbara, unfortunately:

Maybe Barbara did have too much to drink, but RT is feeling protective of her (an enabler?) and didn’t want to say she was drunk or use such a term. So, in trying to be somewhat truthful he says “she had a beer in her hand” to let it be known in an indirect way she did drink some beer, while hiding the truth of the severity of her insobriety. Possible? Maybe that would also explain the “deceptive” polygraph outcome.

Hope I’m not going against TOS. Just thoughts that came into my mind of a case I can’t get out of my mind! Poor, dear Barbara...we want you found!

From all reports by RT, Barbara was not carrying a pack or surplus of beer on her person. When she allegedly disappeared, they were on the way back to the trailer after 2 mile hike, RT stopped to take a photo, and he believed she walked ahead and he would see her at the trailer.

I don't believe Barbara could make the 2 miles in 100+ heat if she was intoxicated, and never believed she was still carrying a beer after having completed 2 miles. None of that follows.

Also, to my knowledge, the VI and/or family members posting here have not cited Barbara to have a drinking problem where RT would feel the need to provide cover for her drinking.

MOO
While there is no information whatsoever that BT (or RT for that matter, however he has never stated that 'they' had beers in their hands) had any issue with alcohol, I think it is something that can't be ruled out. Who from a family would initiate such a thought (nobody!). Since this topic has been posted, I just wanted to say that often alcohol issues will run in families. Our VI did mention that BT's brother had been a '''functional alcoholic' before he quit drinking''.

To myself, I had been pondering the thought that the couple had left their home at 8:15am (verified by VI via neighbor) - they were headed for a 'planned' camping trip (BT had already informed her family they may not be reachable for a few days while they did this - stated by VI); the truck and RT had stopped for ice around 9am (verified by VI per the venue). They decided to make a stop to check out some rock formations (per RT) along the way to their camping destination, and according to time calcs based on the timeline that we DO know of (as noted herein), this should've been no later than 10-10:30am. This was just a STOP, on their way to somewhere else where they were going to spend a few days. It was basically first thing in the morning - they dropped off the dog, then left at 8:15am - they drove for about 100 miles.. then made this 'stop'. They went for a 2mile (round-trip) walk (not hike, per VI). On BT's way BACK to the RV, according to the person who was WITH her at the time, she was carrying her beer (whether bottle or mug). I am understanding all of that as just a short stop-off/interlude on the way to somewhere else more relaxing and long-term, so the beer part just isn't fitting in for me, because it was early and they were on their way to somewhere else, UNLESS there was some kind of issue there with alcohol, which I'm not saying there was. One of those 'between a rock and a hard place', as far as possible options there. imo.

While there is no information whatsoever that BT (or RT for that matter, however he has never stated that 'they' had beers in their hands) had any issue with alcohol, I think it is something that can't be ruled out.
^^sbm

RT (spouse) did claim BT was clutching a beer [presumably in her hands].

Arizona woman Barbara Thomas, 69, went missing around 2.30pm and her spouse said she was clutching a beer as they made their way back to a camper van in the sweltering temperatures.

I need to dig around for the source but I remember reading a quote that I understood to mean they took water and beer, which sounded to me like a supply of beer (as opposed to saying they took A beer). I’ll see if I can find that.

This thread has offered all sorts of theories about the Victim Husband from running some vitamin cartel to potential nefarious activities with his private plane to lounge lizard to befuddled to double knot spy. Sounds like a movie in the making.

Where is Barb?

Amateur opinion and speculation

And the one being called paranoid is the husband.

Good points, cazador. Maybe LE has served warrants and it's taking time to follow up on all the clandestine possibilities, especially if they're waking a sleeping giant. MOO
Exactley... Taking A Lot of time ... Investage and develop a case to make sure it is airtight Only happens when something Bigger then one person is involved. Until that time, it is total silence.

-Respectfully snipped by me-

Where does this info originate? TIA
Sorry, I was summarizing what the VI had said about Robert that made him suspicious of him. It's basically listed in one post but I don't have the energy to search for it right now.
I was just pointing out the reasons that Barbara's family believe his past involvement has something to do with the kidnapping theory, and why they are in fear of their safety.

I am positive he said that he "never walks the dog" and does not like to go out in public places, though. Imo

Last edited:
While there is no information whatsoever that BT (or RT for that matter, however he has never stated that 'they' had beers in their hands) had any issue with alcohol, I think it is something that can't be ruled out. Who from a family would initiate such a thought (nobody!). Since this topic has been posted, I just wanted to say that often alcohol issues will run in families. Our VI did mention that BT's brother had been a '''functional alcoholic' before he quit drinking''.

To myself, I had been pondering the thought that the couple had left their home at 8:15am (verified by VI via neighbor) - they were headed for a 'planned' camping trip (BT had already informed her family they may not be reachable for a few days while they did this - stated by VI); the truck and RT had stopped for ice around 9am (verified by VI per the venue). They decided to make a stop to check out some rock formations (per RT) along the way to their camping destination, and according to time calcs based on the timeline that we DO know of (as noted herein), this should've been no later than 10-10:30am. This was just a STOP, on their way to somewhere else where they were going to spend a few days. It was basically first thing in the morning - they dropped off the dog, then left at 8:15am - they drove for about 100 miles.. then made this 'stop'. They went for a 2mile (round-trip) walk (not hike, per VI). On BT's way BACK to the RV, according to the person who was WITH her at the time, she was carrying her beer (whether bottle or mug). I am understanding all of that as just a short stop-off/interlude on the way to somewhere else more relaxing and long-term, so the beer part just isn't fitting in for me, because it was early and they were on their way to somewhere else, UNLESS there was some kind of issue there with alcohol, which I'm not saying there was. One of those 'between a rock and a hard place', as far as possible options there. imo.
Respectfully, assuming the timeline you suggest is accurate (we don’t know, IMO), I think it is unreasonable to attribute a drinking problem to someone because they chose to have a beer at 10 am. I’ve got lots of anecdotal and personal examples that I won’t share, but even if Barbara is a full on alcoholic (which I am not saying is the case!!) , having a beer on a walk is not a big deal by itself. Regardless of whether it was a stop on the way to someplace else, she was on vacation. In my world, we’d have already had a Bloody Mary before the “beer on the walk.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288