CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not selling anything.

You stated that her wearing a bikini was not a good decision and that most older women would not wear a bikini in the desert.

Barbara did and if she was that worried about getting sunburned I'm sure she would have done something about it. That's all.
You are selling that point pretty hard.Just doesn't make sense.

I’m going to guess that she really was not in the habit of long desert hikes wearing next to nothing. I can believe she was used to hanging out around her home or a campsite in a bikini but hiking for an hour or more in the heat of the day is so very different. If she hung out while camping she was likely able to step in and out of shade or shelter as needed.

I have serious doubts that she was on a 2-mile walk on July 12.
Exactly.I didn't say she never wore a bikini.Just not out hiking in Death Valley.

Agree to disagree I suppose.Two hours with exposed skin in Death Valley is a recipe for disaster.Maybe that is the reason she wanted to get beck to the RV.Imagine exposed shoulders in 115 degree heat and sun.
BBM

In this particular case-- you have a point for why this 'story' has so many people scratching their heads.
And not only here at WS.
Other news sources have people asking the same questions.
That is why I don't think she was hiking for 2 hours while RT was taking his photo-- as he claims.
Something else occurred ?
Imo.

RT claims she did not have the key to the RV, so there was no way for her to get inside it to cool off.
If the temps were as the weather report indicated, she did not hike for at least two hours or more.
Neither did he.
And IF the photo taking of the rock formation was taken soon after they arrived (which we don't know) , what happened after this ?
The 911 call came in at 3:26pm.
And they'd have arrived presumably after the gas station stop to get ice --if she was in the truck still.
What happened from 10:00 am (gas station) to 3:26pm ?
Don't think they were outside that entire time hiking.
So what happened ?
MOO

Last edited:
The DOJ is involved or the DOJ listed her as a missing person?

It looks like they offer support and assistance to California LE and have state wide jurisdiction and they cooperate with Fed DOJ and others.. So.. Our San Bernadino County sheriff Special investigations unit has requested assistance because they are limited and We may never know how much assistance until there is an arrest.

"The sworn law enforcement personnel of CA DOJ (primarily assigned to the Division of Law Enforcement), consists of approximately 400 law enforcement officers (Special Agents). They make up a group a criminal investigators with varied backgrounds in law enforcement and intelligence agencies. This small, but elite, group of sworn peace officers are generally better educated and more experienced than many of their law-enforcement counterparts, and are often called upon for their expertise and ability to coordinate joint activities between local, state, and federal agencies throughout the state. Special Agents are a force multiplier, assisting agencies with expertise, equipment and personnel. Whether running a narcotic task force, investigating a murder, uncovering political corruption, bringing human traffickers to justice, or disrupting violent gangs, CA DOJ Special Agents consistently conduct a variety of law enforcement investigative activities at multiple levels. Additionally, CA DOJ Special Agents are often federally deputized/cross-sworn as federal agents in order to allow them to complete cases outside of California or to participate in federal task forces. They are also frequently chosen by their peer agencies as the lead group in multi-jurisdictional cases. Small and large law enforcement agencies within California can request assistance from CA DOJ as necessary in today's tight economic realities."
California Department of Justice - Wikipedia
California_Department_of_Justice

Matthew Schellinkhout, Thomas' only child who lives in Lafayette, Indiana, said his mom was great at cheering people up. He added that his two children called her "Grandma Barbie," and that she was given the nickname because of her beauty.

"Mom liked Collies and Himalayan cats, a very outgoing personality — loved to dance and cook," he said.

"My mother and I were close. ... (We) spoke on the phone often (and) she loved my children, Christopher,13, and Natalie, 11. ... I wish my children and I lived out there. (Her disappearance) would not have happened," he added.

Schellinkhout explained that Thomas had previously been married to his father and then 14 years ago was remarried to Robert Thomas.

Cindy Bachman, a sheriff's spokeswoman, said that investigators were looking into all leads.

The agency's Specialized Investigations Division has assumed the investigation into Thomas' disappearance, according to Bachman. The department's website states that the Specialized Investigations Division is composed of homicide detail, crimes against children and technology crimes.

Family suspects foul play in disappearance of Bullhead City woman

Agree to disagree I suppose.Two hours with exposed skin in Death Valley is a recipe for disaster.Maybe that is the reason she wanted to get beck to the RV.Imagine exposed shoulders in 115 degree heat and sun.

Exactly.I didn't say she never wore a bikini.Just not out hiking in Death Valley.

Just to clarify, though the Mojave National Preserve (where RT says BT was last seen) and Death Valley are part of the larger Mojave Desert, the Thomases were NOT in Death Valley. The most southern part of Death Valley National Park is around 80 miles north of the intersection where RT said BT was last seen; the center of Death Valley is around 150 miles north of there.

Death Valley is hotter because it's lower in elevation (part of it is below sea level), whereas the intersection of Kelbaker Rd/Hidden Hill Road where BT is said to have been last seen is at almost 4000 feet (3842 feet).

The sun shines on both places, but elevation is part of why the place where BT is said to have disappeared is generally less hot than Death Valley. JMO

ETA: While I was writing this, @Cherwell made the same point.

You are selling that point pretty hard.Just doesn't make sense.
It might not make sense to some, but there is photographic evidence that Barbara did wear a bikini in the desert at least once and a family member (the VI) has confirmed that this is Barbara's style. We also have had posters who hike and they either also wear this attire or know people who do. In conclusion, @MsBetsy is not 'selling' anything, she is just stating what the evidence is.

Matthew Schellinkhout, Thomas' only child who lives in Lafayette, Indiana, said his mom was great at cheering people up. He added that his two children called her "Grandma Barbie," and that she was given the nickname because of her beauty.

"Mom liked Collies and Himalayan cats, a very outgoing personality — loved to dance and cook," he said.

"My mother and I were close. ... (We) spoke on the phone often (and) she loved my children, Christopher,13, and Natalie, 11. ... I wish my children and I lived out there. (Her disappearance) would not have happened," he added.

Schellinkhout explained that Thomas had previously been married to his father and then 14 years ago was remarried to Robert Thomas.

Cindy Bachman, a sheriff's spokeswoman, said that investigators were looking into all leads.

The agency's Specialized Investigations Division has assumed the investigation into Thomas' disappearance, according to Bachman. The department's website states that the Specialized Investigations Division is composed of homicide detail, crimes against children and technology crimes.

Was there not another article with LE stating this was the norm for all missing person investigations?

BBM

In this particular case-- you have a point for why this 'story' has so many people scratching their heads.
And not only here at WS.
That is why I don't think she was hiking for 2 hours while RT was taking his photo-- as he claims.
Imo.

RT claims she did not have the key to the RV, so there was no way for her to get inside it to cool off.
If the temps were as the weather report indicated, she did not hike for at least two hours or more.
Neither did he.
And IF the photo taking of the rock formation was taken soon after they arrived (which we don't know) , what happened after this ?
And they'd have arrived presumably after the gas station stop to get ice --if she was in the truck still.
So what happened ?
MOO
BBM, this is not strictly true. The key to the RV was hidden under a rock (according to RT).

Agreed. Imagine FOUR hours, if it was the 2:30pm that some reports are saying? But hey, just keep shootin those photos, no rush, even though your 69 year old wife wants to get GOING. Nothing was said about either one of them carrying the natural supplies to prevent skin damage? It's not really about the sunburn, or whether she was seen in photos with sunburns, or wrecked skin due to previous sun damage, it's about the complete unbelievable story of which this part is a part of.

BBM

And not only here at WS.
Imo.

Neither did he.
So what happened ?
MOO
IIRC, VI said the gas station for ice visit happened just around 9am.. I had been meaning to ask.. how long would a normal transit from the couple's home to that gas station have taken? And how long would a normal transit from the gas station to the 'rock formation' have taken? That will give a good clue as to their speed of travel, and also time of arrival at the rock formation?
And then.. the timeline from NINE am until 3:30pm (approx) is............... ?

Last edited:
IIRC, VI said the gas station for ice visit happened just around 9am.. I had been meaning to ask.. how long would a normal transit from the couple's home to that gas station have taken? And how long would a normal transit from the gas station to the 'rock formation' have taken? That will give a good clue as to the speed of travel, and also time of arrival at the rock formation?
And then.. the timeline from NINE am until 3:30pm (approx) is............... ?
This is the time line, I came up with based on information from VI's posts and google maps of the route and a good dose of speculation.CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #9
  • We know that they left home around 8.15 am
  • We know that they stopped at the gas station for ice about an hour later. Say they leave the Gas station at 9.30.
  • We *think* that they may have stopped on the way - at the place of the 360 photo. For the sake of argument, lets say its half way between the gas station and Kelbaker/Hidden Hills - so they arrive at the 360 place at 10am.
  • They go for a walk to the top of the hill, take photo, and return to the RV - allow 45 mins - leave 360 place at 10.45
  • They arrive at Kelbaker/Hidden Hills at 11.15, park RV, set up chairs, prepare and eat lunch - allow an hour
  • leave RV for walk 12.15 . 1 mile, lets allow - 30 mins max = 12.45
  • look at rock formations take photos - would this be a leisurely pace?( Not too worried about heat here because of elevation and both are prob used to higher temps at their home) allow another 30 mins = 1.15
  • start walk back to RV - allow another 30 minutes = 1.45
  • arrive at RV at 1.45

This article is a bit jumbled in it’s highlight of the function/purpose of the Specialized Investigations Division, imo. BT’s disappearance with no new info of any magnitude for months, would fit “suspicious death” category, imho- not necessarily an indication that LE has evidence of homicide.

Specialized Investigations – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department
“The Specialized Investigations Division is comprised of the Homicide Detail, Crimes Against Children Detail and the Polygraph Detail. These details investigate a variety of major crimes including homicides, suspicious deaths, in-custody deaths, officer-involved shootings, child *advertiser censored*, child abuse, and various other crimes against children. Personnel assigned to the division are highly-skilled and experienced investigators who use the latest technology to investigate and solve cases. Local law enforcement agencies can request investigators and department resources to investigate officer-involved shootings or major crimes.”

Agreed. Imagine FOUR hours, if it was the 2:30pm that some reports are saying? But hey, just keep shootin those photos, no rush, even though your 69 year old wife wants to get GOING. Nothing was said about either one of them carrying the natural supplies to prevent skin damage? It's not really about the sunburn, or whether she was seen in photos with sunburns, or wrecked skin due to previous sun damage, it's about the complete unbelievable story of which this part is a part of.
I think it's absolutely possible to believe it if you accept that he might not have given a complete and accurate account to media and family as far as we know. And that doesn't necessarily mean anything criminal took place. Perhaps just being inconsiderate, careless, and/or parting on bad terms. Things he didn't feel comfortable admitting to those people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74