CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #11

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by fictionisbetter, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LietKynes

LietKynes "What do you despise? By this you are truly known"

LBM

Thanks for clarifying, @MsBetsy !
    Much appreciated.

Re. the bolded : Yes you're right about that and hopefully it stays that way.

My opinion it seems as though some here have been critical of the VI's posts -- and that's unfortunate.
    Why have a VI if we can't depend on the source information from him ?
    I recall the 'turning over rocks' to look for Barbara conversation. :rolleyes:

2. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

You are right. He no longer has that lawyer and there's no word on whether if ever got another (that's from the VI). I have the lawyer's name somewhere, but didn't think it worthwhile to call for confirmation since dbdb had done that.

I know through my own research that the Las Vegas station did ask RT for another interview, but he declined.

Apparently it was no longer necessary to employ the lawyer to keep doing whatever it was he was doing. So far, no one except Websleuthers have been documented as putting up flyers.

3. slowpoke

slowpoke Well-Known Member

Just to add balance, dbdb11 may have pointed out their bickering, but he has also said this:

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #4

4. LietKynes

It wouldn't hurt to 'walk where they walked'.
    Sorry that came out wrong.
    But in the literal sense --and doing it safely with other people.
    Where was the corner and where was the photo taken ?
    Maybe they'ed find nothing ; but useful to understand the path , the place where the RV was parked at (I know it was a "turn off " from the road), etc.
    I can't imagine no one would want to go out there and look.

And for some reason it'd be interesting to know why the 911 call hasn't been released ?
    At this point it couldn't hurt. Imo.
    Other 911 calls have been released in more serious cases.

AnnaGrace, CarolAnn, LAhiker and 9 others like this.
  5. cazador

cazador Well-Known Member

The lack of available info does leave questions as to why ? It sends a message to my mind that they are looking at something that we do not understand. Therefore keeping all cards to themselves..

AnnaGrace, ZsaZsa, 10ofRods and 7 others like this.
  6. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

7. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

Yeah last we were told they didn't suspect foul play or abduction so why not release the 911 call? I mean seriously, what harm could there be in releasing the 911 call for a woman who innocently got lost in the desert?

8. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

Releasing 911 Call? Nature of this Case?

@LietKynes sbm :) and Others
    "Other 911 calls have been released in more serious cases"
    ^ Assumes SBSD is still/now investigating as MisPers (or abduction?).^

If SBSD is now investigating as homicide (manslaughter? murder?)
    then maybe above question answers itself:
    ---LE is not now/no longer investigating as MisPer or abduction (less serious case),

---so it is one of the "more serious cases" (manslaughter or murder) and
    that's why call is not being released.
    One possibility. jmo.

Since ~July 22 assignment to SBSD's SID, no explicit announcements AFAIK as nature of investigation either as MisPers case or homicide case or other.
    No announcements at all since then, AFAIK

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  9. Cherwell

Cherwell Ice Cream

Sorry, I thought you said you wondered "why no neighbors, friends or family stepped in to help" and you described Lexi as being "abandoned at the kennel". But now you say that using boarding kennels is the norm where they live. Nothing wrong with that, if the dog is happy there. We have similar set-ups where I live. I just prefer to leave my dog in a domestic home with friends because he was shunted through several rescue kennels before he came to me, and as a result is anxious.

10. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

"Last We Were Told"

@Tillicum :) and Others
    "... woman who innocently got lost in the desert?"
    Is it possible ---
    1) In making July stmt,* LE withheld info about evidence already found? Suspicions they already had?
    2) In three months since July stmt,* LE found evidence and began to suspect foul play or abduction? Or worse?
    Just wondering.

-----------------------------
    * stmt re LE not suspecting "foul play or abduction."

Nikynoo, LAhiker, DancingMuse and 4 others like this.
  11. oceanstarryeyes

oceanstarryeyes Well-Known Member

There might be a good business in mine searches for someone that knows the area well and is familiar with mines.

AnnaGrace, slowpoke, LAhiker and 6 others like this.
  12. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

It may be a matter of privacy. LE would probably need the caller's permission unless they have solid evidence of a crime.
    They said the reason they did not release it was because it was part of the investigation, which always seems to be their standard answer. Imo

13. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever hear that call or see a transcript of it.

14. LietKynes

LBM

Lol. :p
    Don't imagine any stray cats ever sneak onto the property.
    Sorry I needed a bit of levity.

15. slowpoke

slowpoke Well-Known Member

Regarding mines in the area, dbdb11 and RT did discuss them, but it sounds like RT was a bit dismissive (might be just my interpretation, though) of the idea. I thought it has been stated here that there are a number of mines at the Preserve, iirc, but perhaps RT meant there isn’t any within close walking proximity to where he saw Barbara last, which I have no idea.

What dbdb11 wrote:
    CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

16. cazador

cazador Well-Known Member

Thank You
    I do plan to contact the detective before going on this trip. I will be asking if they will share previous SAR search data. If not it wont be a problem. More then that, I really just would like to know where RT said he was standing when he lost sight of BT. I do hope they can share that. From that position I will launch a drone and use the camera to record the area looking for where she or items belonging to her may be. I will follow a common path back to where the R.V. was located. Then from the road I will fly a grid pattern recording everything to study later. I will also be searching for other possible routes Barbara may have taken and record that also.

17. Seajay

Seajay Never pass up an opportunity to pee

Sorry, wasn’t trying to ignore it, chemotherapy just left my brain only able to focus on one or two things. It never even occurred to me I was ignoring it.

I really don’t have anything to say about that because in just a few minutes she would have to be completely disoriented, in distress and wandering aimlessly for this to happen. If RT was only 5 minutes behind, and she was fine when he saw her on the trail 5 minutes before, that would be the time window for that to happen where she’d accept a ride and there would be no struggle or reason to leave her beer container, hat or sunglasses behind. IMO

18. squareandrabbet

squareandrabbet Well-Known Member

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

I state this primarily because if RT meant "there are zero mines in this area at all", this could most likely easily be proven a lie by publicly available information (not sure about CA/AZ; but I know it's the case for, say, coal mines in Kentucky); thus I shouldn't think he would risk being caught out on such a simple lie.

"Unfit for mining" doesn't imply anything at all about "historically/always has been unfit", and could just mean something as simple as "currently most/all are boarded up, though they have existed in the past"; or something closer to "since they were termed unfit long ago, it's not an active mining area, and thus there are no mining camp witnesses who could have seen Barb". I don't think we know enough from the context to make that determination one way or another; though happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2019
  19. LietKynes

LBM

Agreed that any help would and should be welcomed and encouraged by all who love Barbara.

There was a poster who uploaded a map of mines in the area, but if they're boarded up they shouldn't be dangerous.
    And yes-- an unfit mining area can be translated into 'no longer being mined'.
    Those are two separate entities.

I can check back and see if the post was specific to your description and repost .
    If not -- there might be another map and I'll link it.
    It would broaden the search area.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2019
  20. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's strange. Because I thought I read there were about 1000
    mines in that area.
    Another poster mentioned that there were not any within walking distance from where they were, or at least not closer than five miles I think.
    Maybe that's what he meant. He would certainly know about the mines. I wonder what he meant by the area is not good for mining.
    Maybe 10ofRods can think so something? Or anybody?

Imo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.