Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes-- I think so as well.
RT's behavior was nervous and odd, to say the least.
Imo.
Well, to be fair, we don't know what "odd behavior" for the husband would look like. For all we know, acting "odd" is his norm. Now if LE noted he seemed to be acting furtive, or his responses seemed to intentionally mislead or deflect, that is another matter. We haven't heard anything to that effect. As far as nervousness, that seems like an appropriate demeanor when your spouse just went missing. If he weren't acting nervous, that would concern me more.

You all know where I stand on this. I think the elderly husband is a victim. I still believe/predict Barb will eventually be found. Sadly, the desert doesn't give up remains easily.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Yes-- I think so as well.
RT's behavior was nervous and odd, to say the least.
Imo.
The only account of his behaviour came some time later from the sales assistant at the service station. He had no reason at the time to pay any particular attention to RT, so his memory of what was said isn't likely to be verbatim. His impressions may also have been influenced by the fact that the police were asking him.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Right *now* is a perfect time for more searches in that area. The average temperature in the Mojave for December is 60F, with only 2 rain days. I would love to see one of the Universities within range that offers criminal justice degrees use Barb's case as a class project/case study; UNLV comes to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree GK. Something that is different which makes me sad - no media coverage or updates from the San Bernadino County Sheriff's Department. Is Detective Nicholas Clark even on the case anymore?

Recently, ZachNews contacted the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department to find out if there’s been any updates regarding the missing hiker Barbara Thomas case as well as any release of 911 tapes that the public have been asking to hear on the day Barbara Thomas went missing, and if anybody has been arrested in this case.

According to an email from San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department’s Public Information Officer Cindy Bachman, “There is no new information regarding the search for Barbara Thomas. We have asked Volunteer Forces to contact us with any additional search information. 911 recordings are not released as they are considered investigative records. No arrests have been made.”

Barbara Thomas is 5’9, 130 lbs., Blonde hair, Green eyes, and was last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks.

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Nicholas Clark, Specialized Investigations Division: 1 (909) 387-3589.

Callers wishing to remain anonymous are urged to contact the We-Tip Hotline at 1-800-78-CRIME (27463) or http://www.wetip.com.
News Update!!: Essex, CA: Missing hiker Barbara Thomas still not found 4 months later.

The only account of his behaviour came some time later from the sales assistant at the service station. He had no reason at the time to pay any particular attention to RT, so his memory of what was said isn't likely to be verbatim. His impressions may also have been influenced by the fact that the police were asking him.
And, it is quite possible that RT was somewhat tense when conversing with the sale assistant at the service station if Barbara was still upset about having to board Lexi at the kennel...I am sure most of us have had to deal with an upset spouse in a vehicle while traveling on the road--just being able to get out of the vehicle and talk with someone not involved in the conflict can provide relief from a stressful situation.

I think it goes to how he thinks about women and wanted others to believe that he still thought his wife was attractive. (which she was)
yes...cultural norms of era (when someone was born/raised) play a big role in how they see themselves and others--folks born before the 1950s/60s have a totally different mindset--their social construct of themselves and others borders on familial obsoletism, imo.

yes...cultural norms of era (when someone was born/raised) play a big role in how they see themselves and others--folks born before the 1950s/60s have a totally different mindset--their social construct of themselves and others borders on familial obsoletism, imo.
Well said @trujac! It is a whole new world out there today with entirely different social mores and behaviors. MOO

Yes, thanks -- I know what you meant. :)

It appears, IMO, that RT was doing the victim blaming.
Why bring up her attire and choice of beverage at all ?

I realize people of any age can be kidnapped.
In the case of a 69 year old, I'd be more inclined to think it was planned by someone.
Barbara struck me as a confident person and not prone to wander or get lost.
And I seriously doubt she was out walking from the time they arrived, until shortly before the 911 call !
It was a very hot day.

RT mentioned that he checked under rocks.
He didn't say for what--- most people assume he meant where he'd left the key.
But he didn't really clarify.
Which is why there are posts earlier on about what he was looking for.
"Under rocks" makes me wonder if Barbara was hastily buried somewhere ? :(
Something stinks about this case ... and that has not lessened with time.
Imo.
ITA. I think RT was making excuses.
I personally drive thru that desert numerous times a year. It's vast. Not usually much traffic in my experience.
What could be the chances she got picked up by anyone, even if she hitch hiked that she would never be heard from again?

Respectfully snipped for commentary focus and reply.
Because criminal justice students today are being taught, and have access to data analysis tools that could help focus search and recovery efforts. They might even develop a lightweight app to do so.

No app is going to help anyone if Barbara didn’t go missing from where she allegedly disappeared from.

She could be anywhere <modsnip>

ITA. I think RT was making excuses.
I personally drive thru that desert numerous times a year. It's vast. Not usually much traffic in my experience.
What could be the chances she got picked up by anyone, even if she hitch hiked that she would never be heard from again?
I agree with your comment--however, predators do troll for potential victims in isolated areas...one example is The Highway of Tears...Dozens of Women Vanish on Canada’s Highway of Tears, and Most Cases Are Unsolved (Published 2016)
In Barbara's case, it could have been a passing motorist that simply decided to take advantage of the opportunity to abduct her since she was alone and vulnerable.

No app is going to help anyone if Barbara didn’t go missing from where she allegedly disappeared from.

I think there was a LOT of premeditation that went into BT's disappearance.

Also, if I recall correctly, our VI said that RT was a lot smarter than he seemed, or words to that effect.

I think there are a few reasons we haven't seen an arrest made in this case:
  • No body
  • Level of pre-planning/premeditation
  • Location of her disappearance (not her home state), in turn leading to
  • Lack of LE resolve/commitment to this case
I don't think we've seen anywhere NEAR the level of LE commitment to solving this case that we've seen in other cases like, say, the Suzanne case, for example.

I'm much more hopeful that we'll see an arrest in that case than this one, in large part because I think LE in that one has remained fully invested in securing justice for the victim.

I'm much less confident here that LE hasn't tucked BT's case away on the shelf.

In a storage freezer.

JMO.

At the same time, it appears that BT used this kennel before to board her dog(s). IIRC, the employees knew her, recognized her. This does not appear to be a first time the dog was boarded. I believe one of the employees told the nephew BT seemed aggravated that morning, that does not mean to me it was because of leaving the dog before their trip. She could have been upset at any one number of things or the employee got it wrong.

I remember thinking these were responsible dog owners who were going to board the dog and not take it out in that high heat. Others thought the dog would be fine alone in the air conditioned RV while they were on their walk/hike. It might have been normal for the dog not to go on every single RV/camping trip. IMO
I agree, the mere fact that BT left Lexi at the kennel instead of taking her camping the day BT disappeared doesn't send up red flags for me...in this blog several people discuss the rational behind not taking their dogs when RVing at campsites...I think leaving a dog locked up in an RV while boondocking in a camp area like where RT and BT parked their truck and fifth wheel could be even more dangerous for a pet who would be dependent on an enclosed/locked vehicle with running air conditioning in order to survive the extreme desert heat in the summer--with no one around to assist if something went wrong.
"unattended" Dogs? What Does That Mean?

MassGuy, like you, I've been on these threads long enough to know anything is possible. I've been "100% sure!" on more than one occasion, where the outcome was just the opposite. So yep, anything is possible here, and boy oh boy is this thread ever polarized!

If you are right, the chances of her ever being found are next to zero. Between the mines, the pits, and so forth....well...that's why the Mohave is called a dumping ground.

I'm still sticking to my theory. Let's hope we find out who called this one right some day.
Peace and roses to all! : )

Yes I’m convinced she was disappeared shortly after dropping the dog off and she won’t be found like so many others ...
JMO

MOD NOTE:

This thread is CLOSED to clean up bickering posts (TOS violation) of off-topic generalizations (TOS violation) that incite conflict (TOS violation) and in effect blame a victim (TOS violation). That is not the purpose of this thread, and violators are risking losing posting privileges. If someone posts something that you believe is against Websleuths rules and philosophy, PLEASE REPORT THE POST and let Moderators handle it. Do not reply to offending posts.

THANK YOU for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly as members of Websleuths, according to the TOS we all agreed to when we joined.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

Posts bickering and debating over stereotyping, bikinis and beer have been removed.

Stop the veiled and not so veiled victim blaming directed at RT. It is in total violation of Websleuths Victim Friendly policy clearly stated in The Rules.

Is it really such a novel concept to consider that perhaps RT was stating a simple reality that when he last saw BT she was wearing a bikini and holding a beer?

Stop the victim blaming or some severe TOs will be issued.

This case has been baffling from the very beginning. :(

I had a thought that I haven't seen mentioned. It's probably not likely, but still ... it could be possible. What if BT left voluntarily? RT didn't think she had a cell phone, but what if she did? Perhaps she had a friend following along a few miles back, and the moment she was alone, called and had her friend quickly pick her up. That would explain her vanishing into thin air without a trace. I can't imagine why she would leave her beloved dog and personal belongings behind, but that might explain why she seemed "out of character" at the kennel.

If she did leave voluntarily, and has been in contact with the police, that could explain why LE doesn't seem to be actively looking for her. In cases like that, are LE required to tell the family that she's safe but wants no contact? Or are they required to respect the "missing" individual's privacy and not say anything at all?

Anyway, it's just a thought that jumped into my head. I think of BT often, and keep her thread open in one of my tabs on my computer so I can check it daily for any updates. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288