Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major cleanup was required in this thread as a result of non-approved social media.

All posts that were based on non-approved FB groups are considered rumor and have been removed, including reference to posts purported to be made by family members.

No social media support groups for Barbara have ever been approved by Websleuths. WS approved Missing Person Support groups are ones where family members are known to be part of the Admin or Moderating Team within that group. Other than MSM and LE, do not discuss info from social media unless you know that account has been approved for discussion by Websleuths. There is a reason WS has this requirement in place.

On another note, when someone asks for a link and the supporting link is a post at Websleuths, please provide the actual clickable link instead of a post number or page number. Post numbers get changed as posts are being removed by Moderators and not every WSer has their display settings set to the same number of posts per page.

By inserting a clickable link, it will take members to the specific post, regardless of page number or whether the original post number has changed. Please don’t make umpteen members and Moderators rummage through umpteen pages trying to find what you are talking about.

Makes sense though that report was for Nov 29th and she apparently was found on Nov 27th. So we don't know whether Essex Road is involved at all, or just the rather vague location "in the desert near Essex," which presumably refers to the unincorporated community of Essex.

Essex, San Bernardino County, California - Wikipedia

Or could the person who found her have been based off of Essex Rd, and used it as a reference point, while the point of discovery might have been quite a distance away?

I am very literal and like to be precise, so maybe it's just me, but if the remains were found in MNP I feel like they would say that rather than in the desert near Essex. While saying in the desert near Essex does not exclude MNP, it just isn't as exact. I also don't know who this information is coming from, so they might just be relaying the little bits and pieces they have and can only provide a very general description.

Re: North on Google Maps

Go to Google Maps with the map you want to look at visible.

On the lower right side of the map, there is a column of buttons. Starting from the bottom, there are the following:

1. A little orange figure
2. A minus and then a plus for resizing
3. Show Your Location button thing
4. Globe View button
5. 3D/2D button
6. A circle with triangles, one red, one white in the middle pointing in opposite directions with arrows on each side. THIS IS THE COMPASS. Red is always NORTH. If you click on the arrows, the map will rotate depending on which way the arrow is pointing.

Some of those features are not always present, BUT 2. and 6. are essential features.

I don't see many of those features. :(
But let's not stray off topic.

View attachment 276002
I also don't want to stray off topic, however I was also unable to find the 'compass' icon on my googlemaps. I use mozilla firefox. Screenshot below of what I see.
googlemap screenshot.png

I also don't want to stray off topic, however I was also unable to find the 'compass' icon on my googlemaps. I use mozilla firefox. Screenshot below of what I see.
View attachment 276007
I poked around some more. You have to enable globe view to get the compass. And if your local versiou of Map doesn't include the globe view on the basic map, try satellite view first and then enable globe view. Hope that helps.

I am very literal and like to be precise, so maybe it's just me, but if the remains were found in MNP I feel like they would say that rather than in the desert near Essex. While saying in the desert near Essex does not exclude MNP, it just isn't as exact. I also don't know who this information is coming from, so they might just be relaying the little bits and pieces they have and can only provide a very general description.

"in the desert near Essex", while certainly vague, is arguably more exact than "in the Mojave National Preserve", which encompasses over 2,400 square miles.

My point is that MNP is a specific place, though a large one. In the desert near Essex could be any direction and expansive.

True, MNP does have exact boundaries, & the desert near Essex doesn't. But I wasn't realizing just how vast the preserve is till I looked it up (about twice the size of Rhode Island!).

My point is that MNP is a specific place, though a large one. In the desert near Essex could be any direction and expansive.

Okay, I don’t want to be unnecessarily rude to journalists—but the fact is—they’re not always all that accurate. This was an extremely short article, and I believe it already managed to incorporate one inaccuracy into its few paragraphs. (I believe that RT was the only source of info on his polygraph test.)

So, I think that the last thing we should be doing is trying to parse the fine points of exactly how a journalist phrased something. At least, it’s fine for us to do it, but we shouldn’t be expecting to accomplish anything by it.

We are interrupting your thread to tell you something very important.

We are holding a week-long fundraiser for our wonderful moderators.

The mods volunteer their time to keep Websleuths not only running smoothly but they literally keep Websleuths running period.

Without the mods, Websleuths would not be anything close to the forum it is today. More than likely without the mods Websleuths would not be here period!

CLICK RIGHT HERE AND IT WILL TAKE YOU TO PAYPAL SO YOU CAN DONATE TO THE WEBSLEUTHS MODERATORS!

If you would rather use Venmo the name to use is Tricia-Griffith-14

Please do not donate unless you can truly afford to do so. We completely understand if you cannot donate.
If you want you can leave a message for our wonderful mods! JUST CLICK HERE and you will be taken to a thread where you can leave your message and that has more information on the moderator's incredible work.

From my heart and soul, I cannot thank the moderators enough for their dedication, compassion, and hard work.

Thank you,
Tricia Griffith
PS. Please do not discuss the fundraiser on this thread. The mods will kill me.

I'd urge everyone not to read into the language and details of the sole news item until it is confirmed by the coroner/sheriff or reported by a second outlet.

I am not passing judgment on any particular news outlet, but rather emphasizing that different outlets have different editorial standards and different missions.

For me, a good rule of thumb is how often a paper/outlet makes retractions and corrections. This might seem contradictory, but it's actually the sign of an ethically sound editorial team. Everyone makes mistakes, even the Woodwards and Bernsteins of the world, but the real professionals own up and address them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member