Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #14

From where the hikers (that located the remains) were reportedly walking, I've always thought the following reference to Essex, CA in error and most likely should read near "Essex Road" and not Essex, CA. MOO

From the link:

In July 2019, Barbara Thomas, 69, was hiking with her husband, Robert, in the desert about 20 miles north of the I-40 freeway east of Kelbaker Road. During the hike, Barbara and Robert allegedly got separated.

According to Supervisor Jeff Lewison of the San Bernardino County Sheriff Coroner's Division, her body was located on November 27 of this year in the desert near Essex, California.

That is a 38 minute drive, 40 miles....either way, she was walking and the whole thing is just wonky.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210719-153234_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719-153234_Samsung Internet.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 42
thanks TL
from above article
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department began to pursue other leads in August 2019 after searches for her were unsuccessful. Her husband hired an attorney after he was reported by San Bernardino County Sheriff’s deputies to have failed a polygraph test in July, according to previous News-Herald reporting.

Did we know RT failed a poly?

thanks TL
from above article
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department began to pursue other leads in August 2019 after searches for her were unsuccessful. Her husband hired an attorney after he was reported by San Bernardino County Sheriff’s deputies to have failed a polygraph test in July, according to previous News-Herald reporting.

Yes - as told on camera by RT.

<snipped>... Did we know RT failed a poly?

Yes - as told on camera by RT.

In fact, we wouldn't know/media wouldn't know, if RT hadn't told media himself. Police have remained tightlipped about this (and everything else), and have never confirmed that he 'failed' (or even had one?). imo.

LE explicitly stated and told our VI that the photo was proof she was out there - meaning they had the timestamp of it. I'll go with what DB (Barbara's nephew) said on this one. The picture is not alleged, it exists, we've seen it. And our VI said that LE confirmed that they knew when and where it was taken that day.
I don't mean to be a problem, but do you have a link for LE explicitly stating that 'the' photo was proof she was out there with a timestamp that very day? My memory recalls that LE told the VI that they had seen photos showing BT being out there that day, but they were never shown nor shared with VI, I believe due to 'privacy' concerns as the photos belonged to RT (not sure on the reasoning behind why photos of the victim's family wouldn't have been shared with her very concerned family member by either police nor her husband?). I believe 'the' photo is just a generic photo from some random time when she was dressed the same way she was reportedly dressed on the day she disappeared. imo.

LE said they have photos of Barb on the 12th, and they do believe Barb was there. LE have not shared much else with me.

As far as I know LE have NOT released any photos from that day. I don't know why they haven't, but at this point, like you @Micheline, i dont think it matters.

LE have the photos, as well as bodycam footage on the day. They have roberts initial statements and they scoured the surrounding area for ten days.

whether she was wearing bikini or underwear.... irrelevant to me. hat color also of little consequence to me. There may be very talented sleuths here who can make a lot out of those details.

i didnt even think to ask the kennel what she was wearing. i am looking for motive, including backstory. because, imo, Barbara could not have gotten lost where robbie claims they were, and she could not have been abducted without robert knowing, based on his own accounts.

my own opinion.

somebody has been lying to me about what happened on july 12th.

dbdb11, Aug 17, 2019
CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

See link for the chronology of areas searched and remains located.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/8425388/

UPDATE – December 18, 2020
On November 27, 2020 two people were hiking in a field off Kelbaker Road when they discovered human remains. On November 28th a further search was conducted, and additional bones and evidence was recovered.
The remains have been positively identified as Barbara Thomas. The cause of death is pending.
No other details are available for release at this time.

BBM: This plainly states that the remains were found "in a field off Kelbaker Road," not near the unincorporated community of Essex, or off of Essex Road.

We know exactly where the RV was parked: in a pullout off Kelbaker Road at the intersection of Kelbaker and Hidden Hills roads.

IMO, her remains were found within a mile or so from the RV, possibly in an area not searched as extensively as others.

BBM: This plainly states that the remains were found "in a field off Kelbaker Road," not near the unincorporated community of Essex, or off of Essex Road.

We know exactly where the RV was parked: in a pullout off Kelbaker Road at the intersection of Kelbaker and Hidden Hills roads.

IMO, her remains were found within a mile or so from the RV, possibly in an area not searched as extensively as others.

To be clear, MSM reporter cites Supv Jeff Lewison of the San Bernadino County Sheriff Coroner's Division (i.e., body located in the desert near Essex, CA) whereas OP linking Nixle service. Personally, I don't believe SBCS office are willing to release the actual location where body located because the investigation is still open-- and no cause of death has been released. I'm certainly not troubled by the variance in the reports at this time. MOO

thanks TL
from above article

Yes. R stated when he was interviewed by a reporter that he was told he had failed the poly.

I don't mean to be a problem, but do you have a link for LE explicitly stating that 'the' photo was proof she was out there with a timestamp that very day? My memory recalls that LE told the VI that they had seen photos showing BT being out there that day, but they were never shown nor shared with VI, I believe due to 'privacy' concerns as the photos belonged to RT (not sure on the reasoning behind why photos of the victim's family wouldn't have been shared with her very concerned family member by either police nor her husband?). I believe 'the' photo is just a generic photo from some random time when she was dressed the same way she was reportedly dressed on the day she disappeared. imo.

LE said they have photos of Barb on the 12th, and they do believe Barb was there. LE have not shared much else with me.

As far as I know LE have NOT released any photos from that day. I don't know why they haven't, but at this point, like you @Micheline, i dont think it matters.

LE have the photos, as well as bodycam footage on the day. They have roberts initial statements and they scoured the surrounding area for ten days.

whether she was wearing bikini or underwear.... irrelevant to me. hat color also of little consequence to me. There may be very talented sleuths here who can make a lot out of those details.

i didnt even think to ask the kennel what she was wearing. i am looking for motive, including backstory. because, imo, Barbara could not have gotten lost where robbie claims they were, and she could not have been abducted without robert knowing, based on his own accounts.

my own opinion.

somebody has been lying to me about what happened on july 12th.

dbdb11, Aug 17, 2019
CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6
The thing is, we don't know for certain. The pic issued by LE has their copyright on it, and IMPO, this is because they cropped the original. LE as indicated in your post, do have relevant information, and IMO if this was worrisome for them, RT would have been interviewed more than once and possibly, this would also give LE reasonable cause for an arrest?

The thing is, we don't know for certain. The pic issued by LE has their copyright on it, and IMPO, this is because they cropped the original. LE as indicated in your post, do have relevant information, and IMO if this was worrisome for them, RT would have been interviewed more than once and possibly, this would also give LE reasonable cause for an arrest?
The death certificate should be available now, or soon for a fee of $21
Given the state of decomposition, as I posted upthread, the COD is likely to say undetermined, or exposure, or something like that. Unless (as I've stated before ad nauseam), she has a bullet in her skull or a hatchet in her back, the COD is likely to be vague and "undetermined". LE would be able to tell if there was a skull fracture consistent with homicide.

I don't see this case as a big mystery. Barb got turned around in the scorching desert heat, might have had a medical event, and passed. Beautiful lady, RIP.

Amateur opinion and speculation

That is a 38 minute drive, 40 miles....either way, she was walking and the whole thing is just wonky.
It's been established several times in these threads that "Essex" in this context refers not to the town but to an extensive part of the area that surrounds it, and that includes the area where they stopped.

The death certificate should be available now, or soon for a fee of $21
Given the state of decomposition, as I posted upthread, the COD is likely to say undetermined, or exposure, or something like that. Unless (as I've stated before ad nauseam), she has a bullet in her skull or a hatchet in her back, the COD is likely to be vague and "undetermined". LE would be able to tell if there was a skull fracture consistent with homicide.

I don't see this case as a big mystery. Barb got turned around in the scorching desert heat, might have had a medical event, and passed. Beautiful lady, RIP.

Amateur opinion and speculation
which state would that be? Would it be the state in which she was found or the state where she resided?

RT may have been interviewed more than once, or several times, we would not know.

RT may have been interviewed more than once, or several times, we would not know.
You are quite correct.

I think my point was, that if there was reason to give LE pause in any of those interviews, would we have seen an arrest by now or at least some acknowledgement by LE once the body was recovered and autopised, that the investigation was continuing. Of course, LE are not obliged to, but indications are, that this is not an active investigation.

It's been established several times in these threads that "Essex" in this context refers not to the town but to an extensive part of the area that surrounds it, and that includes the area where they stopped.
Yes, and those roads have 40 miles between them and back up to each other. I live here and know how far they are apart, but for those that don't I was trying to show how vast this area really is. That is why I posted the map. I'm sorry if I am somehow not explaining it correctly.

Yes, and those roads have 40 miles between them and back up to each other. I live here and know how far they are apart, but for those that don't I was trying to show how vast this area really is. That is why I posted the map. I'm sorry if I am somehow not explaining it correctly.

I didn't mention any roads? The point I was making is that the place where the Thomases parked would come under the description of "Essex" or "near Essex".

Before the Google map was updated, if you hovered over the spot, it used to be flagged up as Essex. There's probably a screen grab of it somewhere in these threads. Perhaps it still does in different browsers. Now I'm getting nothing if I hover, just a label with 'San Bernadino County' if I click on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back