CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #4

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by fictionisbetter, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

<modsnip - Facebook info>

The Mojave Desert News is probably the closest paper (although Zacknews.net had more thorough coverage, go figure). But I don't think they sent an actual reporter to the Mojave National Preserve, every photo appears to be from the SBCSheriff.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
    chihuahua, AnnaGrace, TRB and 3 others like this.
  2. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN In a world where you can be anything, be kind

I don't see it that way at all. As I understand it, we're allowed to discuss BT. We are also allowed to discuss Robert to some degree. We can't sleuth Robert, or anyone else for that matter. Sleuthing would include posting about someones personal history, criminal record, social media accounts etc. This is only my understanding and opinion. YMMV

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    chihuahua, k-mac, Tillicum and 10 others like this.
  3. Cherwell

Cherwell Ice Cream

It has come up before.
    I offered an explanation a few posts back
    CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #4

4. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

IMO, it would be best to look at articles online from the CBS,NBC, and ABC affiliates in a major metro like LA. Look for articles of similar nature, and send an email directly to the reporters with the news coverage to date. Ask them to pick it up again.

Be sure to be sensational in email title, “69 year old bikini and beer hiker still missing!”

Amateur speculation and opinion

5. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

Attached Files:

6. sumzero

sumzero Well-Known Member

Sure, it's that. But it's also designed, more often than not, to cast suspicion, IMO.

7. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN In a world where you can be anything, be kind

As always PommyMommy, you are one step (many, cough cough) ahead of me! Thank you!!

8. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

There is a news story in the tweet below about one of the rescue K-9 teams which searched for Barbara below.

Also found a podcast interview with her.
    Episode 61: Ladies of K9 with Margo Machen DVM, PhD Commander San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Search Dog Team

West Valley SAR‏ @WestValleySAR Jul 17
    https://www.platinumperformance.com/articles/canine-heroes …. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] OUTSTANDING article about one of the most elite Search & Rescue K-9 teams in the county, San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Search Dog Team. We are proud that Dr. Margo Machen, Commander of SBCSD Search Dog Team also serves with WVSAR

West Valley SAR‏ @WestValleySAR Jul 17
    1. West Valley SAR Retweeted San Bernardino County Sheriff

2. One of our WVSAR team members, Margo Machen, is dual trained and also serves our county as a K9 Search Dog Handler. Here she is shown in video with other highly trained search personnel.

[​IMG]
      0:58
      San Bernardino County SheriffVerified account @sbcountysheriff
      The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near the I-40
      Show this thread
      0 replies14 retweets38 likes

9. artsy1

artsy1 Well-Known Member

I know in California, that once trash or recycling cans hit the street, they are fair game. I don't know about AZ.

10. Auntie Cipation

Auntie Cipation Context Matters.

That is a question for a moderator if you really want to pursue it. We are not supposed to talk about others' posts or the details of how the rules are enforced on a case thread.

Also remember (because I certainly hope db continues to add posts) you can go to his profile page and look at his posts that way.

11. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

Well I think it was I who unknowingly opened this can of worms yesterday about the phone. I don’t follow SM & had no idea until after I posted it that this came up in SM but of course can’t be talked about here.
    It was a legitimate question I had, and I stand by my opinion that the why of her not having a phone is very important.
    But there are other important things to talk about that we can sleuth here so we can move on! :)

k-mac, Tillicum, Stripehaven and 9 others like this.
  12. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

Yes, they can look anywhere that could conceal a 'lost' body. So they cannot search through the dresser drawers. But they can look in closets and under the bed. And in a large cabinet, etc.
    Also, a quick look for blood, or visible evidence of a crime scene.
    When someone calls in a missing person, the officers are allowed to search for that person in the home and vehicle, etc, to rule out accidents, illness, etc.

13. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

I'm thinking she had no desire to own a cell phone. Her family gave her one in Hong Kong and she left it behind. Imo

14. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

Or perhaps, she was not allowed to?

15. kay74

kay74 Former Member

No one said she "should" have had a phone. :confused: Just said it sure would have helped her in this situation, maybe saved her life.

16. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

I doubt that. Her family apparently had to convince her to use the phone they gave her, since she insisted on staying in a hotel.
    There has been no indication whatsoever that she was not allowed to have a phone.
    In fact, if she had to be persuaded to use a cell phone while in Hong Kong that would lead me to believe she had little interest in having one of her own. Imo

17. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

DBM. OT.

happyday likes this.
  18. Cherwell

Cherwell Ice Cream

That's not what I said. I didn't claim that's what people were saying.
    It's that people are so reluctant to accept that perhaps she didn't want one! Despite several posters saying that they don't have one themselves or know people who don't use one. Me included.

19. happyday

happyday Well-Known Member

:(

rosesfromangels likes this.
  20. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

As stated upthread, though, LE in California are not going to do this without a warrant if they even remotely think it's a criminal case. The idea that they would ask permission (the only way they can look anywhere that's private property - and an RV/truck are private property) of an elderly, distraught man...not gonna happen. MOO>

VI said (see PommyMommy's excellent document) that the police had take things from the family home (so, an Arizona search warrant). I'd presume that included the truck and RV - but perhaps too late for clear evidence of Barbara's presence.

I just wonder what they used with the search dog (for her scent).

LE can't just go in someone's house without permission, but family members of missing persons always give permission (or fall under deep suspicion, which may be what led to RT's polygraph and being asked to leave the search area).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.