CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been literally hundreds of comments and theories on here relating to what she was wearing, carrying, the dog, the kennel, her travel plans, over and over again trying to find a clue, or an idea etc etc.

I don't think there is that much relevance to them, sorry, but I think the clues if there are any, are in the 'back story' to their lives/relationships/business/money/financial affairs/friendship groups/acquaintances etc, and may go back some time.

<modsnip - Discussion about sleuthing someone who is not a POI>

Was she there, did they go for that walk, we really don't know.

There are hours unaccounted for before calling the police, days before calling family - and plenty of other things, that when put together paint a picture of a husband that perhaps is not quite what he seems, or at the very least is not outwardly showing the desperate panic and love you might expect to see.

We've all seen so many missing people stories on TV over the years, and family and friends are usually so proactive in doing everything they can to raise awareness and keep the missing person high in peoples sights and minds. Yes this is happening in this case, but her husband, her closest relative does not seem to be leading this, I personally think that says a lot.

Also with regards to comments on here about abusive relationship/controlling and coercive behaviour, perhaps it is a coincidence, but it's been stated that Barbara does not have a circle of friends and her best friends were RT's daughter and sister (i think that's correct, but definitely two of his female family members), that would make sense, if who she mixed with was controlled.

If Barbara is a retired lady of 69 years old, what was she doing with her time, apart from being with her husband and dog?

Everyone is perplexed about this, there have been no news updates for a long time, so let's hope they are digging deep for answers about this, to get this lovely lady home for her son and family.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way I would leave my beloved dog in the kennel for 5 days only to turn around and leave her for another long stint. Unless RT was going to keep the dog with him during her trip to Hong Kong.

This is a good point, even if he was going to keep her. Just based on my friends who have dogs.

If a person were, speculatively, responsible for arranging someone's abduction, then it raises the question of whether that person actually wants the abductee to be found.

It might depend on the reason behind the abduction.

If the purpose was to scare her, remind her the world is a big bad place and she should be careful on her travels and return promptly, then the plan would have been for her to be found safe shortly after the abduction, soon enough to proceed with her trip.

If the purpose was to prevent her trip then it could have ended as soon as she missed her flight. (Though this seems silly as she could simply arrange another trip for the near future.)

On the other hand if he wasn't intending for her to be found (or at least not anytime soon) then he had no motivation to give an accurate description of what she was wearing/carrying. IMO the photo matches the description too well for my comfort, making me feel like that wasn't what she was actually wearing but rather what fit the story being told.

I just can't think of a realistic purpose for an actual abduction that would go on this long with no ransom or other communication (that we know of).

Easy to think there was no abduction though -- that that is a coverup story.

IMO

Reading waaay too much into the mention of beer, IMO.
She was carrying a drink and he knew it was beer so he said beer, that's all. I don't think there's any more to it than that.
The only thing about the fact that she had been drinking beer that is significant to me is the affect it may have had on her.

Older adults can become dehydrated quickly because they naturally have less water in their bodies and they are more likely to have conditions that can cause them to become dehydrated easily. (electrolyte imbalance, UTI's, vitamin deficiencies, etc.)
Higher elevations and heat can cause symptoms to come on rapidly.
So if she started to feel symptoms, she may have become confused and may not have been able to find the road or the RV.

I wouldn't think she would have gotten too far, but she may have fallen or be in a place not easily visable to the searchers. We have heard many cases of searchers not locating victims before who were in the area they had searched previously. Imo

She was carrying a beer, according to RT. And walking two miles in a particular location, according to RT. She was wearing a bikini, according to RT. She walked ahead while he took a picture, according to RT. She was going toward the RV, less than 1/2 mile from the road, according to RT. And then she vanished into thin air, according to RT. And RT claims that his polygraph indicated "deception". And there is zero corroboration from witnesses that any of this is true. MOO
Do you know where the 1/2 mile came from, Kapua? I can't remember and I've seen it repeated a number of times, but dbdb11 told us 1/4 mile. Unless he changed that later? MOO
<Respectfully snipped and BBM snipped for focus>

As Robbie made his way back to the RV he did not have any concerns. The RV was less than 1/4 mile (1000 ft) away from where he last saw her, he has claimed, and was never concerned about how far ahead she could have gotten, between him and the RV.

<Respectfully snipped and BBM for focus>

FOR REFERENCE:

Walking speed 1000 meters or 1 kilometer per 10 minutes ( m/min – km/min ), converted to foot per 10 minutes equals 3280.84 feet per 10 minutes ( ft/min ).

According to the above generalisation Robbie was approx 3 plus MINUTES away from the RV.

<Respectfully snipped for focus>

Yes, dbdb11 has said this:
information i now have suggests barbara has never had a cellphone. so suggestions it was in robbies bag are probably wrong.”
and then,
“We have two numbers. one cell and one landline. If she had another number her brother, who she has always been close with, has never known about it.”

So, by those statements I infer that the cell number must have been one shared between Barb and RT, and yes, they have a landline. In fact, one of our eagle-eyed posters pointed out that in the RT interview where he is showing the “love notes” spread out on the coffee table, the landline is visible on a nearby table.

Thank you @slowpoke and @dbdb11
(Sorry I missed part of that information when I was reviewing previous postings)

Reading waaay too much into the mention of beer, IMO.
She was carrying a drink and he knew it was beer so he said beer, that's all. I don't think there's any more to it than that.

It isn't necessarily that he said it, it's how he said it. It was an emphasized point. If BT were carrying a water bottle, would he have emphasized it?

Last edited:
@dbdb11 ; I believe you are saying kennel confirmed 5 days (so would that mean 4 nights and pick up on Tuesday?) also, I believe you said Barbara’s HK flight was supposed to leave on Wednesday. IMO; no wonder she was stressed. Lots of travel plans prior to flying across the world. Thank you for clarifying
I wonder if the dog was going to be boarded while she was in Hong Kong?

The only thing that gives me pause is most people describe their loved ones gone missing in terms of appearance. "Light brown hair, 5'10", 300 lb, wearing a green tee shirt, blue jeans, white sneakers." I wouldn't necessarily add "carrying a bag of Chertos".
Assuming it's genuine, I would say he has a mental snapshot of her turning the corner and going out of sight, and he's just describing that last view.

I wonder if the dog was going to be boarded while she was in Hong Kong?
There's quite a shift in responsibility for a dog when the household is reduced to one person.

When there are two or more people at home, one can go out without any worries. If you're the only one, it's not fair to leave a dog alone for more than about three to four hours. If you're going to be out for longer, you have to make a contingency plan, eg ask a friend or neighbour to pop in and let the dog out, feed and walk if necessary. Boarding kennels is another option, but not necessarily full-time.

Especially if the Cheetos, or in this case the beer, is not readily identifiable because it is in a traveler's cup.
its a diversionary tactic used by a liar. he presents a few disparate facts and then hopes our minds draw the conclusion he wants us to: she was drinking, probably against HIS better judgement, didn't listen when he asked her to stay with him so he could photograph the rock, heedlessly carried on to that horrible, godrotting stretch of road where someone chanced upon her...

My feeling is that RT's version of what happened could have some truth to it, but not the whole truth. I believe Barbara could be still be in the desert, but in a different location to where he indicated.

They could have parked somewhere, and stood in the shade of the camper to have a beer (this way, the bikini and beer would make sense) and they got into an argument. Or perhaps an argument started inside the camper and Barbara went outside to separate herself from her husband. He then drove off, either as a "joke" or to teach her a lesson, but when he was ready to return, he couldn't see her and perhaps couldn't remember the exact location (does everything look the same there?). He could have searched around for a while, and decided that she must have hitched a ride out of there, and then he called the police.

It would have looked bad, if he left her in the desert (even with the intention of going back) and something happened to her, so he said it was her that left him, not the other way around.

If this theory is correct, what would Barbara be likely to do when she found herself stranded, would she hitch a ride with some stranger driving by? She had no clothes, ID, money etc, but could have waved someone down and asked to use their cellphone, to either call him or the police. She would expect him to come back for her - no-one would think their partner would just leave them in the desert. She may have sought shelter and just waited for him to return …

Updated. Thanks again to those who added suggestions. :)

If you haven't already, please reach out to the media and let's try to get some answers for Barbara's family. I'll repost the media contacts too.

If you have already emailed or don't want to email, please copy/paste these into comments on Facebook and Twitter posts about Barbara.

Story ideas for MSM
1. Can you please request and publish audio of the 911 call? For example:
Video: 911 call released in case of missing Illinois boy

If you can't release the audio, would you consider publishing a transcript? For example:
EXCLUSIVE: Officials release 911 call in Casey Hathaway disappearance

The 911 call for reference:
Dispatch Call Log – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department (filter to River Station)
7/12/2019 3:26:24 PM CR CR191930018 CRR1900230 MISPER NAT 936** HIDDEN HILLS RD, KEL

2. Can you provide clarification from SBCSO as to why Nixle says “Barbara and her husband Robert were hiking in the Mohave desert approximately 20 miles north of the I-40 freeway east of Kelbaker Rd." when the command center was set up at Kelbaker/Hidden Hill Rd approx. 6.3 miles from I-40?
July 22nd - The investigation continues into the whereabouts of missing person Barbara Thomas from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

3. Have there been any search warrants obtained and executed related to Barbara’s disappearance and if so, will you publish those? For Example:
Police Execute Search Warrant at Home of Missing Mom's Estranged Husband: Source

4. When was the photo of Barbara in the bikini top, hat, and sunglasses taken? In the photo, she appears to have on what her husband described as what she was wearing when she was last seen. But, was that specific photo taken the day she disappeared or during another trip to the desert? Could this be the last known picture of Barbara Thomas?

See image 2 of 2 from the initial Nixle report:
The search for 69-year-old Barbara Thomas is continuing In the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

5. It has been widely reported that Barbara disappeared in a matter of minutes after her husband stopped to take a photo of a rock formation. Can you report on whether or not Barbara was seen in any of the photos that were taken in the desert on July 12? Is there any evidence at all that Barbara was indeed, in the desert that day?

6. If Robert and Barbara left their home sometime around 8 a.m., it’s a 1.5-hour drive to Kelbaker/Hidden Hill Rd, and they went for a 2-hour walk, what happened in the remaining hours? Not one news agency has put together a timeline. Can you do that? For example:
Timeline In the Case of Missing WI Teenager Jayme Closs - KVRR Local News

7. Can you reach out to Robert and Barbara’s neighbors? If they have surveillance footage, can you obtain and publish a still photo? For example:
This is the last known photo of missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis

8. Can you interview one of the SAR team members? Did the search dogs hit on anything? West Valley SAR on Twitter

9. Can you interview a PI and get his/her thoughts? A former law enforcement officer, perhaps? For example:
Private investigator explains what he thinks happened to Mackenzie Lueck

10. Can you report on what the dispatch log entries below were about? (Filter to Colorado River Station)

Dispatch Call Log – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department
7/26/2019 4:55:53 AM CR CR192070002 FU KELBAKER RD/HIDDEN HILLS RD, KEL
7/27/2019 10:34:59 PM CR CR192080031 INFO NAT I 40 EXIT 100 OFRP W/ESSEX RD, ESX[/QUOTE]

11. Can you get answers from a detective or PIO with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office to any of these questions?
  • Do they still believe there is no foul play involved in Barbara’s disappearance?
  • Have any new, unannounced searches of areas other than the original search area been carried out?
  • Can they confirm Robert's statement to Inside Edition that he showed deception on a polygraph? Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'
  • Can they confirm that they found evidence of Barbara actually having been at that search location on the day she disappeared?
  • Can they confirm when and where the last independent sighting of Barbara took place that day, i.e., someone other than her husband?
  • Can they confirm whether or not they've spoken with staff at the dog kennel who were working the morning Barbara was last seen?
  • Can you ask them to clarify just how long it took for Robert to take a photo of the rock formation?
12. How about finding out if Oasis gas station I-40, Exit 107 has any video of the truck and 5th wheel passing by on I-40 (even if they didn't stop there). For instance, if video shows Robert going past say 1:30 pm, then where was he for all those hours since leaving home? Or, if they have video showing Robert's vehicles going back and forth on the I-40. Do their cameras cover I-40?

13. Can Robert’s lawyer explain what they are doing to search for Barbara’s alleged abductors?

Does Robert’s lawyer feel it would be a good idea to post a REWARD for information about Barbara?

Was Barbara’s son, Matt, recently or ever receiving money from Barbara?

See Matt’s interview and the statement made by Robert’s lawyer here:
Lafayette man's mother still missing after hiking in the Mojave Desert with husband

#TEAMBARBARA

Last edited:
Do you know where the 1/2 mile came from, Kapua? I can't remember and I've seen it repeated a number of times, but dbdb11 told us 1/4 mile. Unless he changed that later? MOO
I couldn't remember, either, so I said less than 1/2 mile. IMHO, it didn't happen, so the actual distance is somewhat irrelevant, but for those who actually believe this rot, let's say 1/4 mile from now on.

MEDIA CONTACTS

THOSE WHO HAVE REPORTED ON BARBARA

Today’s News-Herald, Havasu News: Email editor@havasunews.com
ABC 7, Los Angeles: Email pr@abc7.com, Press Releases Submit Press Releases
NBC 4, Los Angeles: Email tips@nbcla.com, Jonathan Lloyd Twitter Jonathan Gonzalez (@JonathanNBCLA) | Twitter
Los Angeles Times: Email tips@latimes.com, Email alexa.diaz@latimes.com, Everyone :) Newsroom Directory
KTLA 5: Email ktla@ktla.com, Cindy Von Quednow on Twitter Cindy Von Quednow (@Vonquizu) | Twitter
AZ Central: newstips@arizonarepublic.com
ABC 13, KTNV Las Vegas Email 13investigates@ktnv.com, Leah Pezzetti on Twitter Leah Pezzetti (@leahpezzetti) | Twitter
Mohave Daily News: Email bmcmillen@mohavedailynews.com, Breaking News breakingnews@mohavedailynews.com, needlesdesertstar@nwppub.com
San Bernardino Sun: Email jkeating@scng.com
Fox News: Email americasnewsroom@foxnews.com, Travis Fedschum on Twitter Travis Fedschun (@travfed) | Twitter
NTD News: Email Zack Stieber on Twitter Zachary Stieber (@ZackStieber) | Twitter
Inside Edition: Email tips@insideedition.com
People: Email editor@people.com, Joelle Goldstein on Twitter Joelle Goldstein (@joelleg0ldstein) | Twitter
Zach News: Email news.zachnews@gmail.com, Facebook ZachNews
Victorville Daily Press: Email RDeLaCruz@VVDailyPress.com
WLFI 18, Indiana: Email Jordan.Burrows@wlfi.com
Daily Miner: News Tips Contact us / News Tips | Kingman Daily Miner | Kingman, AZ
SOME WHO HAVE NOT YET REPORTED ON BARBARA

The Bee: Email info@thebee.news, Website The Bee -Home - The Bee -The buzz in Bullhead City - Lake Havasu City - Kingman - Arizona - California - Nevada

Las Vegas Review Journal: jgerman@reviewjournal.com, Website Jeff German

Heavy.com: jessica.mcbride@heavy.com

#TEAMBARBARA

Updated. Thanks again to those who added suggestions. :)

If you haven't already, please reach out to the media and let's try to get some answers for Barbara's family. I'll repost the media contacts too.

If you have already emailed or don't want to email, please copy/paste these into comments on Facebook and Twitter posts about Barbara.

Story ideas for MSM
1. Can you please request and publish audio of the 911 call? For example:
Video: 911 call released in case of missing Illinois boy

If you can't release the audio, would you consider publishing a transcript? For example:
EXCLUSIVE: Officials release 911 call in Casey Hathaway disappearance

The 911 call for reference:
Dispatch Call Log – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department (filter to River Station)
7/12/2019 3:26:24 PM CR CR191930018 CRR1900230 MISPER NAT 936** HIDDEN HILLS RD, KEL

2. Can you provide clarification from SBCSO as to why Nixle says “Barbara and her husband Robert were hiking in the Mohave desert approximately 20 miles north of the I-40 freeway east of Kelbaker Rd." when the command center was set up at Kelbaker/Hidden Hill Rd approx. 6.3 miles from I-40?
July 22nd - The investigation continues into the whereabouts of missing person Barbara Thomas from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

3. Have there been any search warrants obtained and executed related to Barbara’s disappearance and if so, will you publish those? For Example:
Police Execute Search Warrant at Home of Missing Mom's Estranged Husband: Source

4. When was the photo of Barbara in the bikini top, hat, and sunglasses taken? In the photo, she appears to have on what her husband described as what she was wearing when she was last seen. But, was that specific photo taken the day she disappeared or during another trip to the desert? Could this be the last known picture of Barbara Thomas?

See image 2 of 2 from the initial Nixle report:
The search for 69-year-old Barbara Thomas is continuing In the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

5. It has been widely reported that Barbara disappeared in a matter of minutes after her husband stopped to take a photo of a rock formation. Can you report on whether or not Barbara was seen in any of the photos that were taken in the desert on July 12? Is there any evidence at all that Barbara was indeed, in the desert that day?

6. If Robert and Barbara left their home sometime around 8 a.m., it’s a 1.5-hour drive to Kelbaker/Hidden Hill Rd, and they went for a 2-hour walk, what happened in the remaining hours? Not one news agency has put together a timeline. Can you do that? For example:
Timeline In the Case of Missing WI Teenager Jayme Closs - KVRR Local News

7. Can you reach out to Robert and Barbara’s neighbors? If they have surveillance footage, can you obtain and publish a still photo? For example:
This is the last known photo of missing 4-year-old Maleah Davis

8. Can you interview one of the SAR team members? Did the search dogs hit on anything? West Valley SAR on Twitter

9. Can you interview a PI and get his/her thoughts? A former law enforcement officer, perhaps? For example:
Private investigator explains what he thinks happened to Mackenzie Lueck

10. Can you report on what the dispatch log entries below were about? (Filter to Colorado River Station)

Dispatch Call Log – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department
7/26/2019 4:55:53 AM CR CR192070002 FU KELBAKER RD/HIDDEN HILLS RD, KEL
7/27/2019 10:34:59 PM CR CR192080031 INFO NAT I 40 EXIT 100 OFRP W/ESSEX RD, ESX

11. Can you get answers from a detective or PIO with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office to any of these questions?
  • Do they still believe there is no foul play involved in Barbara’s disappearance?
  • Have any new, unannounced searches of areas other than the original search area been carried out?
  • Can they confirm Robert's statement to Inside Edition that he showed deception on a polygraph? Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'
  • Can they confirm that they found evidence of Barbara actually having been at that search location on the day she disappeared?
  • Can they confirm when and where the last independent sighting of Barbara took place that day, i.e., someone other than her husband?
  • Can they confirm whether or not they've spoken with staff at the dog kennel staff who were working the morning Barbara was last seen?
  • Can you ask them to clarify just how long Robert took in taking a photo of the rock formation?
12. How about finding out if Oasis gas station I-40, Exit 107 has any video of the truck and 5th wheel passing by on I-40 (even if they didn't stop there). For instance, if video shows Robert going past say 1:30 pm, then where was he for all those hours since leaving home? Or, if they have video showing Robert's vehicles going back and forth on the I-40. Do their cameras cover I-40?

13. Can Robert’s lawyer explain what they are doing to search for Barbara’s alleged abductors?

Does Robert’s lawyer feel it would be a good idea to post a REWARD for information about Barbara?

Was Barbara’s son, Matt, recently or ever receiving money from Barbara?

See article including Matt’s interview and Robert’s lawyer here:
Lafayette man's mother still missing after hiking in the Mojave Desert with husband

#TEAMBARBARA[/QUOTE]

amazing.

additional question could be what happened between Matt and Robbie that would make Robbie not want to call matt and tell him his mother is missing.

If you took a polygraph test and it showed you could possibly be lying, wouldn't you want the test to be repeated at least so you could prove you were telling the truth?

Do we know if they did one or two tests, or if that is ever done, or he could have had an independent test, or maybe he was ruled out as a suspect straight away????

If you took a polygraph test and it showed you could possibly be lying, wouldn't you want the test to be repeated at least so you could prove you were telling the truth?

Do we know if they did one or two tests, or if that is ever done, or he could have had an independent test, or maybe he was ruled out as a suspect straight away????

It wouldn’t make a difference considering LE can lie about your test results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288