CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by fictionisbetter, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherwell

Cherwell Ice Cream

You assume. He will doubtless have told the police of any stops they made, and they would follow it up directly.

Leney, TRB, Quiet Time and 7 others like this.

2. sumzero

sumzero Well-Known Member

"...last I ever saw of her" sounds reasonable in context. He imagines her still holding a beer. So what? If she was holding one the last time he saw her, then he's probably still going to imagine her holding it the last 1/4 mile to the trailer. Besides, I thought it was a thermal cup, which she'd probably carry back to the trailer. I don't think it really matters. But the person who is so inclined can probably make every detail, however unexceptional, fit a narrative.

ACE422, crussell821, Kasmeer and 12 others like this.
  3. 155etta

155etta Well-Known Member

Her going off trail to relieve herself (beer goes right through me) makes the most sense to me. I also can't figure out why RT would make up the part about her holding a beer, in a travel cup no less, if it weren't true. But why then, can't they find her? Any chance she might have been stung or bit by something venomous while squatting? If she was already overheated and possibly intoxicated, could she then have wandered off in the wrong direction?
    Edited to add: I'm guessing if she had relieved herself nearby the SAR dogs would have picked up on that?

4. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

BBM

I couldn't agree more. @Knox, will you please post your list of media contacts again? TIA ;) MOO

5. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Or they have no leads or at least have followed through with all leads and still haven't found any indication of what happened to her.

That may be why there have not been any updates. Imo

Leney, TRB, ChuckMaureen and 6 others like this.
  6. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

BBM

This request would not necessarily be made public. We've seen them go door-to-door to businesses along a particular route without broadcasting it to the public. I can't remember the case now, but I do recall that employees from a couple of the businesses talked to media or we would have never known about it. MOO

7. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

I agree. I think that truck could have cost $60,000 out the door. The 5th wheel is probably not the base model, either. The reason I mention it is that there's some research to show that major purchases increase stress levels. Apparently, they'd had a series of recreational vehicles, though.

8. squareandrabbet

squareandrabbet Well-Known Member

Granted, I'm no science person, but would dogs really be able to track off of a (former) puddle of drool in the desert? As others have pointed out, fluids tend to evaporate pretty fast on fry-an-egg pavement at high noon. Whether they leave behind much of a scent, I cannot say.

Urine doubtless would, based upon my experience on the streets of NYC, but it doesn't smell instantly; it takes a while baking in the heat for that signature to evaporate.

I should think "blood" is being concentrated upon by those who are concentrating upon it above all other bodily fluids, because in addition to leaving behind the expected biological spoor, blood would leave behind a stain; and in the pantheon of things likely to happen I should think that someone who hit-and-ran in the desert, then pressure-washing (or similar) the pavement to remove the bloodstains before they move on with their hit-and-run victim, is the least likely.

9. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Thank you @Kapua and @PommyMommy

NoSI, PommyMommy, MsBetsy and 2 others like this.
  10. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

Fuel & Fuel Stops
    @Lilibet :) Thanks for your post. (snipped for focus)
    @HongKongPhooey :) Good questions & I agree w Lilibet's explanation re running a/c in rig and a parked rig heating up quickly.

As Lilibet noted, generator in 5th wheel is entirely independent from pickup truck engine. If generator fuel (usu. gas or diesel) tank runs dry, can still drive pickup. And if pickup tank runs out of fuel, can still run generator to power a/c and other 110 volt elec. appliances in 5th wheel.

If they left Bullhead City, AZ w full pickup tank and full gen'r. tank, at 8:00-ish that morning, drove to Mojave location, no interim fuel stop would have been needed. They would have had plenty of fuel to continue.
    Even if they left home, and drove continuously, say 5 hours, making side trips, zigging and zagging, circling back, then to Mojave, no fuel stop needed, imo.
    @HongKongPhooey Does this answer your question?

George Fayne, Tillicum, TRB and 10 others like this.
  11. oceanstarryeyes

oceanstarryeyes Well-Known Member

Too late to Quote “Here’s a possible Interesting TWIST”

I think LE needs to find out what RT was doing earlier in the week before “they” went hiking on Friday.

If something had happened to BT in her Home, after she misses her flight the family would become concerned when she didn’t show up to visit her brother as planned. They would call RT and getting no answers then call LE to report BT missing, BUT the family WOULD NOT be able to report BT missing BECAUSE RT beat them to it by ALREADY REPORTING BT MISSING IN THE DESERT!

That would also account for RTs high intelligence plus the Bikini and Beer to draw attention to SHE WAS REPORTED MISSING in the DESERT!

12. IceIce9

IceIce9 Verified EMT

This. Holding the beer, Las Vegas, bikini, his reference to the crime scene when LE has never given any indication that a crime was committed.

It all sounded rehearsed to me.

And other than RT’s words there has been no indication that anyone saw her on the trail, in the truck, standing next to the trailer, in the passenger seat, etc.

LE is too quiet. But they found no evidence of abduction.

I am sure they have asked RT to state their travels that day, the route they drove snd any stops they made.

13. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Yes, it was some sort of travelling cup, or whatever they are called.
    He would assume she was carrying it back to the RV, but since it was never found, it would appear that she never made it back.
    He believes something happened to her before she returned to the RV.

As for the use of the word "ever," I'm not sure that would suggest he knew he would never see her again, either. The searchers had already looked for several days at that point so the last time he ever saw her was when she was rounding the corner.
    Maybe he had already given up hope at that point and was despondent, thinking she must be gone forever. Some people hang onto hope and others assume the worst. Imo

Sunnymicki, TRB, broadviewren and 5 others like this.
  14. IceIce9

IceIce9 Verified EMT

In other cases (Mollie Tibbits, Abby & Libby, etc) LE has made public pleas for business and homeowners to check their cameras.

TRB, AnnaGrace, DancingMuse and 2 others like this.
  15. LAhiker

LAhiker Well-Known Member

While that would indeed have been a clever way to cover up a crime, our VI has reported that BT and RT were seen on a nearby surveillance camera leaving the house at 8:15am on the morning she disappeared. This, of course, does not indicate whether the rest of his account is true (or false), but it does imply that whatever happened to her, it did not happen at their home. MOO

16. rkendmar

rkendmar Well-Known Member

I agree that the "hit-and-run in the desert" is the least likely scenario.
    A dog's sense of smell, especially the 'nosey' and highly trained canines used in SAR can detect some amazing things.

"Dogs' sense of smell overpowers our own by orders of magnitude—it's 10,000 to 100,000 times as acute, scientists say. "Let's suppose they're just 10,000 times better," says James Walker, former director of the Sensory Research Institute at Florida State University, who, with several colleagues, came up with that jaw-dropping estimate during a rigorously designed, oft-cited study. "If you make the analogy to vision, what you and I can see at a third of a mile, a dog could see more than 3,000 miles away and still see as well.""
    Dogs' Dazzling Sense of Smell

Lore Listener, Tillicum, TRB and 7 others like this.
  17. Twistinginthewind

Twistinginthewind Well-Known Member

This happened in the case of Jennifer Dulos's disappearance on May 24th (there's a very active thread here on WS for her). Her husband and his girlfriend were seen on video from a bakery disposing of items in trash bins in front of their business (LE later tied to her disappearance), and one of the bakery employees / owners told MSM about it; otherwise it would not have been public knowledge that LE had video footage from their business. IMO

18. diggndeeperstill

diggndeeperstill Well-Known Member

I had heard this early on as well, then it really wasn’t discussed much. “Use the RV”. It’s interesting why he said that here. Why wouldn’t he put himself last and make sure she got to the RV ok especially because she didn’t just “want” to go back she “needed” to. And why did he not say this in all the other interviews?

I think the fact that she was comfy in s bikini also probably says she’d squat where she needed to if she couldn’t make it. Also think as we age we are really in tune with our bodies and how long we can wait till we are desperate.

I have as well. I think this is compounded as well by all the different agencies involved. I am not even sure who they all are. SBCO, And who else?

Has anyone heard back from reaching out? I haven’t.

My dog is not a trained search dog but I think he should be trained. We are selling our house and every time we come back after he is nose to the ground all over where they were. I hope they are t dropping body fluids in all those places! Surely these dogs would have found scent if she was there.
    I agree it would be interesting to see what he was doing earlier in the week but not for those reasons. Our VI has stated she was seen at 8:15 that morning. But I am curious if he could have been to the desert earlier in the week to prepare a place there. Not saying the word. :/

TRB, PommyMommy, DancingMuse and 2 others like this.
  19. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

It does thank you. My knowledge of "camper vans" is a VW 1970's style from childhood (think Scooby Doo...). We do have RVs here but our roads aren't really suited to the big beasts so they tend to be quite rare

Tillicum, Lilibet, Skigh and 3 others like this.
  20. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

A "trailing" dog was able to pick up Laci Peterson's scent. It indicated that Laci's body left her home in a vehicle. A cadaver dog was able to find small body parts of Charli Scott that were in a dense tropical rain forest. These dogs, while not infallible, can find what humans often cannot. IMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.