CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. IMO, LE and SAR would have asked more questions regarding the amount of alcohol she consumed, at what time, etc. This information (true or not) would have mattered to them and the search for her.
Why no discussion about if and how much alcohol RT consumed? They stopped and bought ice for something. He said they took beer on their walk. If he'd consumed too much, it might be he chose to sober up before calling 911. There is quite a time gap in there and he is controlling the narrative about Barb and her travel cup. Something to think about. MOO.

we have somebodys word that BT drank alcohol.
there should not be an assumption of HOW MUCH?
there is zero proof BT had ANY ALCOHOL.

it paints a reckless and unfair picture imo that is not proven.
Counterpoint: Everything we have on this case is from a statement from her husband. Technically, there is zero proof that any of it occurred.
If we can't discuss that statement then they should close this thread.

She should have been able to drink as much as she liked- but it may have affected how she behaved that day and might have increased the likelihood she made some fatal error(s) that caused her to get lost.

Why no discussion about if and how much alcohol RT consumed? They stopped and bought ice for something. He said they took beer on their walk. If he'd consumed too much, it might be he chose to sober up before calling 911. There is quite a time gap in there and he is controlling the narrative about Barb and her travel cup. Something to think about. MOO.
He's the driver, and he's driving a brand new, very expensive RV which isn't simple to manoeuvre.
I don't think he'd want to be consuming much alcohol, if at all. They were only at an en-route stop - they hadn't reached their intended destination.

IMO, SAR would not have cared about RT in this regard. BT was the missing person and their focus.

What she ate and drank would have been asked by them. Along with did she have any food or water on her. Did she have a backpack, if so, what items did she have on her. They would have asked about any known medical conditions. Her experience and skill level (this is many times overstated by family). Any many more questions. All this information gathering tells them many things that's important.

Is permission required from LE to conduct a drone search?

Yes, if the search is conducted by a company like the one in Texas, the one that Dbdb has contacted. Volunteers could probably organize something without permission.

I can't remember the name of the company (someone else will know) but it is cutting edge in the field, with special software for searches, etc. They only work in conjunction with LE, is my understanding. The family of the couple found near Amboy Crater employed them, I believe (and I believe it was unsuccessful, IIRC).

I don't think Mojave Preserve bans drone flying by anyone who is properly licensed to do so, or by amateurs in general.

I can't remember the name of the company (someone else will know) but it is cutting edge in the field, with special software for searches, etc. They only work in conjunction with LE, is my understanding.

The wonderful Tim Miller's organization....

https://www.texasequusearch.org

Last edited:
Yes, if the search is conducted by a company like the one in Texas, the one that Dbdb has contacted. Volunteers could probably organize something without permission.

I can't remember the name of the company (someone else will know) but it is cutting edge in the field, with special software for searches, etc. They only work in conjunction with LE, is my understanding. The family of the couple found near Amboy Crater employed them, I believe (and I believe it was unsuccessful, IIRC).

I don't think Mojave Preserve bans drone flying by anyone who is properly licensed to do so, or by amateurs in general.
SWARM worldwide
They do both independent as well as SAR searches on request.
The Sheriff in this case has already agreed to work with Drone volunteer search groups by sharing Grid maps of areas already searched. But SWARM members know they are working for the Sheriff and anything found goes directly to them and no talking allowed.. The Sheriff is the boss.

I have found that many sheriff SAR and fire departments are using their own drones these days. There is A lot of training classes available nation wide and anyone can be involved. SAR drones cost anywhere from 2500.00 to 6000.00 and they can do many things like put out a fire and deliver items to a hard to reach victim such as a life vest.

Look what can be done with a drone..

Last edited:
SWARM worldwide
The Sheriff in this case has already agreed to work with Drone volunteer search groups by sharing Grid maps of areas already searched. But SWARM members know they are working for the Sheriff and anything found goes directly to them and no talking allowed.. The Sheriff is the boss.
That's good news, I didn't realize LE had given permission for the drone search at this point.
I suppose they will wait until the weather is cooler?
When would that be?

SWARM worldwide

Can you say where you learned this? Upshot is volunteers get a grid map (but don't have to promise not to sure? Can they search inside and outside the previous area?)

If volunteers don't need LE permission, I'd like to pass the word on to a couple of groups that fly drones.

If it was an accident, much more likely that he left her, IMO. Perhaps she was out of sight “round a corner” in partial shade, waiting for him and he thought she’d headed back to the RV. She might have been saying she had wanted to get back. He gets back to RV and she’s not there and he thinks she’ll turn up soon. But she didn’t see him leave and is still out there trying to find him, scared he’s collapsed or something. By the time he ventures back to find her “she’s not responding and I panicked” or whatever it was he said. So he drives on and tells LE it happened somewhere else i.e. at the rocks (rather than the actual location which is perhaps not too far away but out of the current search area so that if they eventually find her, they’ll think she got lost and wandered there).

Either that or it is hypothetically a complicated tale of organised crime and the silencing of those who know too much and may present a threat in any move away from their control.

Barbara looks like the kind of free spirit I’d have enjoyed hanging out with. I’m sorry for your loss Dbdb and the rest of your aunt’s relatives too. Stay safe.

Last edited:
My mind is open a crack, but there are a few things that don't add up for me.

If they add up for you, I'm good with that.

I would be willing to believe that BT became lost if it were not for the fact that she was on a clear trail within 1/4 mile and in clear view of the truck/RV, according to RT's story.

I would be willing to believe that she wandered off-trail if the surrounding terrain was at all interesting and not full of cholla cactus.

I would be willing to believe that BT was abducted if she wasn't in the middle of nowhere and within shouting distance of her husband, and if there were signs of a struggle.

I would be willing to have greater confidence in the veracity of RT's story if his polygraph results had not indicated deception, according to RT himself.

Also, I have faith in the great SAR team employed by San Bernardino County. They failed to find BT after nine days of searching with ATVs, trained search dogs, and helicopters. IMHO, she is not there.

We have all been discussing BT's disappearance and dissecting every element of RT's story as if it reflected what actually happened on July 12. IMHO, the narrative is flawed.

MOO
Very well stated and my view exactly.

It is still a possibility, and it could be a factor in whatever happened.
Barbara was perfectly entitled to drink alcohol if she chose to, and we are entitled to discuss it as a hypothesis.
yes of course
but there is no proof that she did and using words such as how much she drank makes it a point of assumption that she in fact did drink alcohol when there is no proof that she had any alcohol.

moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member