GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #8

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by fictionisbetter, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lolafaith

lolafaith Well-Known Member

Seeing as no one saw them walking around the desert, it is possible that RT had arranged to meet someone there, isn't it? And that this third party was involved in whatever happened to Barbara? Their car/truck could have been parked across the road or anywhere nearby?

What if he had arranged a meet for some kind of a deal - something went wrong, and the person/persons grabbed Barbara? Would that scenario work in line with his comments that she could have been taken and might be in Vegas?

Thoughts?

La Louve, Kasmeer, bronbaby and 16 others like this.
  2. campbellsouup

campbellsouup Well-Known Member

@lolafaith I've been thinking around that scenario as fell. It would certainly require whatever the meeting was to be super illegal or possibly embarrassing for RT to not mention it. Did find the connections to MLM scheme / unknown plane ownership a bit odd though. IMO it's a bit of a stretch, still.

Kasmeer, bronbaby, happyday and 12 others like this.
  3. Curiousobserver

Curiousobserver Well-Known Member

Yep-

Assuming there are pictures of her on-site, others have agreed he had at most 3.5 hrs or as little as 1.5 hours. Enough time to go pretty far, but considering what he was driving, and what he was doing there are probably some likely nearby spots people who know that area could point out. You can't take that rig just anywhere and they measure fuel consumption in gallons per mile not miles per gallon. He would have needed to stop for gas again.

Assuming there are no pictures then he has 7ish hours and the sky is the limit. Definitely 1 or more gas stops that could be verified.

If this were pre-planned, as in I took some pictures on a camera with the wrong date to establish a false timeline then I would expect is behavior afterward to have been much more "perfect".

La Louve, happyday, misgrn and 12 others like this.
  4. GordianKnot

GordianKnot Well-Known Member

We know LE has pushed that time frame waaaay left. They're interested in footage from 9 am that day, and I suspect they're working even further back than that.

Clearly, LE wants to determine when and where the last known independent sighting of BT occurred.

They wouldn't be at the gas station asking questions and collecting surveillance footage, otherwise.

Once LE's determined time (and location) of last independent sighting, they'll focus in on the existing window of time b/t that and the 3:26 pm 911 call.

JMO.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  5. MassGuy

MassGuy The Monsters Ain’t the Ones Beneath the Bed

Hell, they wouldn’t be asking for footage period, if they believed that Barb was simply lost in the desert.

They aren’t buying the narrative here.

Clearly.

6. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

I would think in that case the manner of death would be accidental, not natural causes. Imo

7. GordianKnot

GordianKnot Well-Known Member

*DBM

Kapua and LAhiker like this.
  8. campbellsouup

campbellsouup Well-Known Member

BBM, human process that could account for this variance - remorse/regret.
    MOO

happyday, misgrn, PommyMommy and 5 others like this.
  9. 1&2&3

1&2&3 Well-Known Member

People are very good at putting on a deceptive face regarding the true going on in their marriage.

People are also excellent at hiding in their words what the marriage is like.

In this marriage, we can’t talk with Barbara. Clues that something was amiss have been mentioned, no car, no cell phone, no separate email account, she and RT were always together etc. it seems she was not allowed a free moment by herself. RT watched or controlled every moment of her life.

If so, she may have settled for it as it was better than being divorced, living as a single lady at her age on a low social security. Or, even having to work for minimal wage just to exist.

One point that has really bothered me is RT telling about the ‘Love Notes’ BT left on or under his pillow. A very sweet jesture but why when he seemed to always be with
    her, perhaps smothering her?

Had he been mean to BT, either mentally or physically? Was RT the type of man who needed constant ego attention and was a me-me person? Was it easier for BT to not argue with him, let him be downgrading and demeaning?

I know of a personal story currently happening, 50 year marriage, wife is a year into a stroke recovery, bed bound, and he is mean as a devil to her! Wouldn’t visit often in nursing home, call or answer her calls. Yet only her life long friends know! All others think how good he is to her.

Therefore, all is not what is pictured in talking with either one. My belief is that is what the case was in the Thomas marriage. RT. was a narcissist, ruler, controller. Whatever happened, he knows why BT is gone! JMO! MOO!

10. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

JMO but I don't think this was pre-planned or was done for an insurance pay out. IMO if Barbara wasn't abducted and didn't get lost/injured/ill and died from exposure, then I think they were both stressed out and someone lost their temper.

Leney, happyday, misgrn and 18 others like this.
  11. Twistinginthewind

Twistinginthewind Well-Known Member

I think BT's disappearance was pre-planned, and happened the weekend before she went overseas alone to be with her family for a reason.

The timing of her disappearing right before a major trip to be with family, when she had no family or friends locally, has always stuck with me.

Just like the timing of a visit with a family member was coming up for Erin Corwin, who had no family locally when she disappeared in the desert in SB County the week before her mother was coming to visit her in Twenty Nine Palms. She had a 'mighty secret' (she was pregnant) only known to her and her (married) lover, who killed her right before her mother came to visit. Although he later confessed he did it to keep his wife from finding out about their affair, her death was pre-planned by him, presumably, IMO, to make sure that face to face upcoming time with a close family member would not occur during which she might let the cat out of the bag.

In BT's case, I think there was something about RT or his activities or some unhealthy aspect of their relationship that he suspected she was going to share with her family while away from him that he decided he didn't want to risk her sharing with them.

ETA: So he planned her disappearance, either by himself, or with the help of others, or left her somewhere vulnerable where she would be disappeared by others without directly implicating himself. Time will tell, I believe LE is making progress in this direction, and hope Barbara will be found soon.

MOO

12. dbdb11

dbdb11 Verified Family Member Barbara Thomas Case

police have already returned my public info request. it was denied on the grounds that investigation is active, and release of call could compromise investigation in someway.

13. dbdb11

dbdb11 Verified Family Member Barbara Thomas Case

the 'missing persons' investigation is still active. police have been very careful about what they state publicly, so i am inclined to believe i should leave it at that.

deugirtni, La Louve, Kasmeer and 61 others like this.
  14. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Armchair Detective

Glad to hear it confirmed by LE that it's still an active investigation!

15. LietKynes

LietKynes Inama Nushif ; She is Eternal

Emph mine
    Thanks, @dbdb11 .

Best news in a long time.
    This is not a cold case , and LE are looking at someone(s).

16. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update DB. If you're wondering why it's so quiet in here now, we're all sitting on our hands.

17. noel leon

noel leon No Magical Thinking!

Ohh dbdb11 , I am so sorry that this is looking like , well ,what you have been suspecting.Makes me cry a tear for you and your family...

now I have dried my eyes , I AM ANGRY!!!!!

happyday, misgrn, gsleuth and 20 others like this.
  18. MassGuy

To play devils advocate (which I genuinely am, because I agree), keeping an investigation open and pursuing a case as if it may be a homicide, isn’t all that unusual.

Just because law enforcement might be playing this close to the vest, and treating Rob with suspicion, doesn’t mean that this was in fact foul play.

They just need to keep that door open, because a mistake could prove very costly down the road.

You only get one shot to get this right.

For the record, I don’t believe a word of what I just wrote.

19. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Oddly, my friend who lives in Las Vegas, hasn't heard much about this. Is that because it happened in California?

happyday, misgrn, MsBetsy and 10 others like this.
  20. MassGuy

Hell, I doubt many people in California even know about it.

This case received some coverage early on, but has gone dead quiet since.

Also, there was another missing hiker case around the same time, and I think some people have conflated the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.