CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly.

The media for whatever reason doesn't seem to care much, I may be wrong but I haven't seen any recent articles or news segments. Why can't the media call him or knock on his door to get some words? They don't really need RT in order for them to report on Barbara's disappearance.

I hope I am wrong and there are current reporters working on this.

I’ve seen it a million times.

The media needs a face to a story; someone who makes themselves available.

It doesn’t matter how awful a crime is, unless they have that person standing front and center, a story will die.

It doesn’t matter how awful a crime is, unless they have that person standing front and center, a story will die.

I disagree.

Barbara is the face.
From cold cases to marginalized people there are many times that media will not have someone to put in front of a camera. Should these stories not be reported on? RT's reasons for not going to the media could be sinister or not. Clearly many are interested in Barbara's whereabouts. Grateful for Websleuths!

I disagree.

Barbara is the face.
From cold cases to marginalized people there are many times that media will not have someone to put in front of a camera. Should these stories not be reported on? RT's reasons for not going to the media could be sinister or not. Clearly many are interested in Barbara's whereabouts. Grateful for Websleuths!

That’s not how it works, whether we like it or not.

Barbara isn’t there to conduct interviews, so someone has to be her proxy.

Without someone doing something newsworthy, the media isn’t going to cover a story that has no new details.

Law enforcement isn’t going to reveal details of an ongoing investigation, and there have been no new public developments.

The ball is in her husband’s court.

Without someone doing something newsworthy, the media isn’t going to cover a story that has no new details.

Law enforcement isn’t going to reveal details of an ongoing investigation, and there have been no new public developments.

Frigging shame Barbara didn't have any friends. Doing vigils, balloon launches, handing out fliers, and doing interviews telling the public about Barbara's unique personality.

I agree and disagree. Sometimes, it is the missing person herself who is the face to the story.

The first case I ever sleuthed was Laci Peterson's. Her beautiful smile drew me in. BT's smile is also beautiful and draws me in.

In Laci's case, the local paper, the Modesto Bee, was very, very instrumental in keeping the case alive.

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have generated the same level of local interest in BT's case.

I have emailed, emailed, and emailed reporters.

I have a personal friend who reports for a small Bay Area paper. I will check in with her for ideas.

Last edited:

What about the scores of guilty people who are very active in the media giving interviews etc... why is seeking and or cooperating with the media seen as a sign of innocence? Anyway, MOO.

Agree to disagree.

What about the scores of guilty people who are very active in the media giving interviews etc... why is seeking and or cooperating with the media seen as a sign of innocence? Anyway, MOO.

Agree to disagree.

I genuinely have no idea why you are conflating media attention, with guilt or innocence.

That wasn’t the discussion. At all.

I’m talking about one major reason why there is a lack of media attention.

For example:

A mother and her three young children were stabbed to death in a home not far from me.

Her husband granted very few media interviews, and the story slipped from the headlines.

It turned out that he had nothing to do with the killings.

It was the type of case that should generate national headlines, but it didn’t.

Even with a quadruple murderer on the loose.

If people don’t talk, even the most horrible of cases can have a dearth if media coverage.

That was my point.

MSM Coverage, When?
....The best way to keep this case alive in the media, is for her husband to appear in front of the cameras.
@MassGuy :) Good post. bbm sbm

Yes, gen'ly seems MisPers case gets MSM coverage only when ---
-- Surviving loved one is RWA to appear on cam. Typically the splashiest coverage on this list.
-- LE or DA/Prosecutor announces development, usu an arrest.
-- Anniversary date story, usu anemic coverage w/out survivor on cam.
--MSM reporter digs in, finds that MisPers has something outrageous/outstanding in personal history, that warranted coverage waaaaay back, at time of that event, before being a MisPers.
-- MisPers is located, alive or otherwise.
-- Vigil for MisPers is held.

In the meantime, how many ways can a reporter say:
MisPers still missing, LEA still investigating, loved one still hoping?
And how much airtime and how many column inches does that fill?
So many missing, so little coverage. Sad. But as @MassGuy said, that's how it works.

Yes, I agree. She may still be in the desert but not because she was/is lost, IMO.

Initially, I believed she was.

In most cases like this, it’s the most logical explanation, and usually a correct assumption.

People wander off and get lost; it happens every single day.

Once the details came to light though, the odds of that occurring here went way down IMO.

With abduction being spectacularly unlikely, and her being lost improbable, I’m all in on foul play.

I said it earlier, but the only thing that would change my mind, is irrefutable evidence that she was there when her husband claims she was.

Prove that, and she is almost certainly lost.

It’s a waiting game at this point, and may be a long one.

OK.

Advice from my reporter friend, FWIW:
First, get all the facts together, all the names. If these are contacts, get their contact information down, too. X has been missing from (city) since (date.) - that’s how you start.

Then, BACKGROUND - X is a (whatever type of background you have on her.) (This includes anything you know right up till she disappeared.)

List the law agencies and individuals involved. List family and circumstances. List whatever her alliances she has/had. Clubs, churches, bands, etc. Friends willing to be interviewed and contact info.

Why you’re concerned about her. What is raising your suspicions.

Send copies of this to area tv, area major newspapers, also SoCal major papers, especially Las Angeles Times. Also send to things like “24 hours” and “Dateline” of the major networks. Where I’d start....

You don’t have to write “formal.” Just say you’re concerned for this woman.

It could be cops are quiet for a reason....

ETA:

Be clear, short paragraphs, shorter sentences. If you can find the names of investigative reporters, target the letters to them. TV investigative reporters, too. And check with the major networks - same things.

Last edited:
With abduction being spectacularly unlikely, and her being lost improbable, I’m all in on foul play.

I said it earlier, but the only thing that would change my mind, is irrefutable evidence that she was there when her husband claims she was.

RSABBM:

Agree with both your reasoning and your conclusions here.

I would merely add that if irrefutable evidence of BT being at that location in the desert when RT says she was there existed, LE would have no reason to track their movements as far back as 9 am that day.

LE would have no reason to ask gas station employees questions and/or to collect video surveillance footage of RT in the store at 9 am if they had irrefutable evidence of BT having gone missing when and where RT says he last saw her.

Logically, then, it can be deduced that irrefutable evidence proving BT was in that location when she went missing does not exist.

I don't think there are timestamped photos conclusively proving she was in that spot on that afternoon.

JMO.

Initially, I believed she was.

In most cases like this, it’s the most logical explanation, and usually a correct assumption.

People wander off and get lost; it happens every single day.

Once the details came to light though, the odds of that occurring here went way down IMO.

Wouldn't the more critical thing be the timeline? IOW, right at this moment I believe that BT was there, in the desert, where RT said she was. My main question is when was that, exactly? With the timeline being sloppy re: exactness ( for us, anyway), it could be proven without doubt she WAS there, but there could be more than enough time for foul play and removing BT from the area.

I agree and disagree. Sometimes, it is the missing person herself who is the face to the story.

The first case I ever sleuthed was Laci Peterson's. Her beautiful smile drew me in. BT's smile is also beautiful and draws me in.

In Laci's case, the local paper, the Modesto Bee, was very, very instrumental in keeping the case alive.

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have generated the same level of local interest in BT's case.

I have emailed, emailed, and emailed reporters.

I have a personal friend who reports for a small Bay Area paper. I will check in with her for ideas.
I think the fact that Barbara's disappearance crosses state lines literally leaves it in no man's land. Her local media don't have immediate access to LE conducting investigation and media closest to where she disappeared don't have a "personal" link to her story without family and friends nearby to appear in front of the camera.

Her disappearance did attract some national coverage, fortunately, but that has fallen off because there haven't been any updates. LE's silence is understandable but also maddening.

I think the fact that Barbara's disappearance crosses state lines literally leaves it in no man's land. Her local media don't have immediate access to LE conducting investigation and media closest to where she disappeared don't have a "personal" link to her story without family and friends nearby to appear in front of the camera.

Her disappearance did attract some national coverage, fortunately, but that has fallen off because there haven't been any updates. LE's silence is understandable but also maddening.

It’s the circumstances too.

There is no clear evidence of foul play, and it’s totally plausible that she is simply another unfortunate soul who got lost in the desert.

I don’t believe that, but plenty of people probably do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken