GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

Found Deceased CA - Barry Crane, 57, Los Angeles, 5 July 1985 *Arrest in 2019*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by chicoliving, Jul 12, 2011.

1. chicoliving

chicoliving Former Member

Probe of Barry Crane Slaying Pressed

July 08, 1985

Los Angeles Police Department detectives continued their investigation Sunday into the Studio City bludgeoning murder of television director and bridge expert Barry Crane, interviewing bridge players and tournament officials who knew the victim.

"We do have a lot of clues, but that's all I can say," said Detective Kevin Harley.

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-07-08/local/me-9756_1_barry-crane

2. leebee52

leebee52 New Member

Barry Crane was a very good friend of my mother's. She is now 83 and it's her last request on earth that this murder be solved. If anyone has any information or thoughts, please reply. Thank You!

digitective likes this.
  3. jamesup

jamesup New Member

I was a tournament bridge player at the time of Barry's death. I played hands at his tables as an opponent, but not as a partner. He had a reputation as being the number one duplicate bridge player, being temperamental with bridge partners, and of being gay. From publications I believe he was killed by a stranger. On the day of the murder he had just won an important tournament. Perhaps, on his way home he stopped at a lounge for a personal celebration and became acquainted with a stranger whom he found likeable. He invited and then drove the person to his residence where a violent incident took place that ended with Crane's murder. This stranger whom he encountered was apparently a Jeffrey Dahmer type. Almost certainly the person had similar incidents in the past, which would have been recorded by law enforcement. From the amount of disruption at the scene, there is surely considerable DNA, fingerprint, blood, and fiber evidence at the location for his identification. I am surprised the assailant has not been identified publicly sooner; however, I don't think it will be long before he is. Sometimes law enforcement will spend a long time after an almost certain identification is made in order to collect all possible evidence before a public announcement. James

4. digitective

digitective Active Member

5. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

[bbm]

32 years is a long time to allow a murderer to stay free in order to collect more evidence that probably no longer exists

6. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

Sounds to me like you have a strong inkling of who the Perp could possibly be, or a good guess? Call it in James, if only anonymously.

7. PastTense

PastTense Well-Known Member

LAPD Makes Arrest in 1985 Hollywood Cold Case Murder of TV Director

8. sunnynz

sunnynz Well-Known Member

9. iulia

iulia Well-Known Member

IN COURT: Hollywood TV HONCHO found dead

A North Carolina man pleaded not guilty Tuesday for the cold case murder of an accomplished Hollywood television producer and bridge player.

Edwin Hiatt, 53, was arrested in May for the 1985 beating death of Barry Crane, 57. Citing Los Angeles prosecutors, Deadline reported that Hiatt bludgeoned Crane to death with a large ceramic statue and strangled him with a telephone cord at his Studio City residence.

digitective likes this.