CA - Beddie Walraven, 27, Santa Ana, 1946

Discussion in 'Resolved Cold Cases' started by CarlK90245, Aug 6, 2011.

1. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Moderator

NamUs UP Case 2468 https://identifyus.org/cases/2468

Date found: January 26, 1971
    Estimated Age: 18-28
    Race: Unsure
    Sex: Female
    Height: 61 inches (estimated)
    Probable year of death 1961 to 1971
    Body Parts Inventory Torso not recovered, One or more limbs not recovered, One or both hands not recovered
    Body Condition: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
    Location Found: 1.3 miles east of Baker, CA (San Bernadino County)
    Circumstances: Jane Doe #07-71 was found as partial skeletal remains scattered in the desert east of the remote desert community of Baker, CA. The remains were determined to be those of a female adult probably no older than 40, between 5' and 5'4" in stature. Only the mandible contained dental information. Identification can only be confirmed with dental X-rays of the lower jaw. DNA is still being processed by CA DOJ-MPDP (reference #BK-05-000836). Investigation indicated that these could be the remains of a missing woman from Texas, Betty (AKA Bitty, AKA Beddie) Flemming (AKA Walraven). Reference DNA samples have been submitted.

Dental Comments: Lower Jaw Present - N0 MAXILLA,17,20,21,23-28 MISS P0STM0RT,0TH FRACT.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Beddie Walraven Santa
    1. Dalagali
      Replies:
      Views:

3. CarlK90245

Although there wasn't already a thread for this UID case, I thought this was an interesting story, so I started the thread with the Identified flag already set.

Solving one mystery opens the books on another crime

[​IMG]

Read More:
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-desert-mystery-20110806,0,6800864.story?track=rss

4. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

It's good to see a really old case get her name back, although the killer is probably dead already?

5. CarlK90245

The next-to-last paragraph in the LA Times article indicates that the alleged trigger-woman may be still alive.

6. sealevel

sealevel New Member

Just saw this on the San Bernardino County Coroner's Press Release site:
    http://www.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/coroner/pressrelease.asp

Coroner case # 71-37449 UP--On January 26, 1971, skeletal remains were found scattered in the desert near Baker, California. The remains were believed to be those of a female adult. In 1975 investigators from the Santa Ana Police Department contacted the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department reporting a suspect confessed to killing Betty Walraven (also known as Betty Flemming) in May of 1946, and transporting the body to the High Desert region of San Bernardino County. In December 2005, biological samples from the skeletal remains were delivered to the California Department of Justice DNA Laboratory in Richmond, California for processing. Over the next five years the scientists at the DNA Laboratory worked tirelessly to develop a useable DNA profile from the degraded remains. In the meantime, San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Coroner Division investigators were able to locate two members of Betty Walraven’s family. DNA samples were provided by these family members and reference profiles were developed for comparison with that of the remains. On June 1, 2011, the California DNA lab director notified this Division that a DNA profile had finally been developed from the remains and were found to be match to Betty Walraven.[08042011 1720 SY]

7. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

I saw that but I interpreted it differently I guess. I read "was living until a few years ago" and continued the thought with "and then she died". But I suppose she could have moved and live elsewhere now.

It's 65 years ago so if she was 20 years old at the time she'd be 85 now. Could be much more. It could be she wouldn't be healthy enough to stand trial anyway.

8. Ambercat

Ambercat New Member

If I am understanding this correctly, Ms. Wakraven was murdered in 1946, but when her remains were found, the estimated date of death was somewhere between 1961 to 1971. I wonder what caused such a discrepancy?

9. Redwood146

Redwood146 New Member

sigh... this shows how difficult it can be to match UID and missing people... the time frame for death is completely askew. I am not sure that I fully believe the lover's story about who killed Beddie, because the warbond was never cashed.....I wonder if beddie destroyed/hide the warbond so it could not be cashed and died as a result of this action.

10. sealevel

sealevel New Member

I'm guessing that in 1971, the technology to date remains wasn't nearly what it is today, plus I believe the desert tends to preserve remains very differently than other environments. Kudos to San Bernardino County Coroner's office for being so persistent! I worked for the San Bernardino County Courts for a couple of years and it amazed me how large the county is. With the desert, the mountains, and the huge amounts of open space, it's long been a dumping site. The coroner's office makes such an effort to identify the remains and give them back to their families, and I really applaud their efforts.

11. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

The year was 1994, and Kitty, 77, was lapsing in and out of consciousness in a nursing home in Grants Pass, Ore.

In her prime, the fair-skinned brunette had no problem attracting men, including her ex-husband, Liskie T. "Terry" Mabry.

But by the time she suffered the stroke that would kill her, Kitty was living alone, in a filthy house she shared with 87 cats. And during the older woman's final moments, it was left to her granddaughter, Becky Herrera, to pray for her grandmother's soul.

"At the end," Herrera says, "all she talked about was that she wanted to know Jesus before she died."

On her deathbed, Kitty was seeking some measure of redemption — for a past with Mabry that was as dark as any desert night.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mabry-319769-kitty-walraven.html

Very interesting article. Note timeline, video and slideshow on the right at above link.

12. marycarney

marycarney Inactive

Wow! What a story.

13. Lins1983

Lins1983 Always smiling!!

Just read this for the first time!! How amazing!! You never know what secrets are in peoples past. Glad Beddie's family knows now.

14. carbuff

carbuff There but for the grace of God go I

Wow, that's all totally bizarre. Rest in peace.