CA CA - Betty Toepfer, 87, Riverside, 8 April 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Betty Toepfer
toepfer.jpg

Family Worried Sick About Missing 87-Year-Old Grandmother In Riverside
A Riverside family is worried sick about an 87-year-old woman who has been missing about two weeks.

“We’re devastated. The whole family is devastated,” Randall Toepfer said to KCAL9’s Tom Wait about his mother, Betty.

The mother of seven vanished back on April 8th. She was last seen on security camera leaving the main bus station in downtown Riverside.

“There’s some curio shops. She’s still – even at 87 – she’s pretty mobile,” Randall says.
Toepfer told Wait his mother often takes the bus from where she lives with his brother in Riverside. And he says she has no major medical issues.

“She’s hard of hearing, and a bit forgetful at times but we didn’t believe it was a big problem. She really liked to get out of the house,” he explains.

Toepfer’s son says many of the shop owners and staff here in and around downtown Riverside know his mother because she often shops there. But on the day she went missing he says that many of them are saying they don’t remember seeing her.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015...missing-87-year-old-grandmother-in-riverside/

http://www.riversidesheriff.org/missing/
Update 04-15-15:

Video surveillance captured Betty Toepfer exiting the RTA bus at the downtown Riverside terminal on Wednesday, April 8, 2015, at 9:45 A.M. She was last seen alone, on foot, leaving the bus terminal towards the area of University and Market. In addition to downtown Riverside and the city of Jurpua Valley, it is possible Toepfer may have also taken the bus to the Galleria at Tyler located in the city of Riverside.
jvs15-0408-1-ToepferBetty-2.JPG
jvs15-0408-1-ToepferBetty-3.JPG

Betty has been added to NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/28569
Status Missing
First name Betty
Middle name Jean
Last name Toepfer
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen April 08, 2015 00:00
Date entered 05/06/2015
Age last seen 87 to years old
Age now 87 years old
Race White
Ethnicity Other
Sex Female
Height (inches) 63.0
Weight (pounds) 115.0
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered
DNA Status: Initial inquiry underway
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

Two months after 87-year-old goes missing, search continues
Published: June 11, 2015 Updated: 5:38 p.m.

snipped
Two months after an 87-year-old woman was reporting missing from Jurupa Valley, Riverside County sheriff’s officials said she has still not been found.

But the search for Betty Jean Toepfer has not ended, sheriff’s Deputy Armando Munoz said via email.

In addition to getting the word out to the public that Toepfer is still missing, the Sheriff’s Department has used bloodhounds, its Aviation Unit and canvassing investigators to search the Jurupa Valley and Riverside areas. All to no avail.

I remember reading about this woman, and am sorry to hear she has not yet been found.

Maybe it's just me not being very good with faces, but she looks so different from one photo to the next! First, I thought, wow, the capture of her on the bus the day she disappeared sure doesn't look like that first picture of Betty in the suit jacket. But now the smiling photo of her at the link Darling posted again looks like yet another person, to me! Granted, that one might be an older photo, but I wouldn't have recognized that was her. I wonder if her "chameleon looks" might contribute to her being hard to spot!

Betty has been added to NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/28569
Status Missing
First name Betty
Middle name Jean
Last name Toepfer
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen April 08, 2015 00:00
Date entered 05/06/2015
Age last seen 87 to years old
Age now 87 years old
Race White
Ethnicity Other
Sex Female
Height (inches) 63.0
Weight (pounds) 115.0
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is available and entered
DNA Status: Initial inquiry underway
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

Still listed as missing

Can't believe she is somewhere out there doing well on her own?!

Bizarre disappearance. What could have happened to her?

Toepfer had dreamed of becoming a nurse, but was unable to because she had seven children

I found this line on her Charley Project page quite poignant. A woman in her twilight years, who will never have the chance to go back and fulfill her ambition. And now her current fate is unknown . How many of us depart this world never living out our dreams? Some might argue it's better that way.

Anyway, I cannot think what has happened to this lady. It says she was showing signs of dementia. You'd like to think she would've been identified by now if she ended up institutionalized. Six years is a long time. I'm sure her family were checking local hospitals and care homes. Perhaps she dreaded the inevitable and decided to take matters into her own hands? Looking at the direction she was travelling, she might have been headed to one of the bodies of water? What about Mt. Rubidoux Park? Is it possible she could've got lost up there?

Looks like no one else wants to speculate on this case? What a pity. I can't possibly think what could've happened to this lady. Any theories out there?

Bumping once more for Betty. This case has stayed with me, as I always find it peculiar when elderly people disappear out of the blue. It says that Betty was showing signs of the onset of dementia, so perhaps she became disoriented and wandered off? But where? And how come her body hasn't been found? I wonder if she wound up in a medical facility and passed away unidentified?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back