Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #3

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by eekasaur, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eekasaur

eekasaur Well-Known Member

I don't like that Blaze's friend waited in the car while he went into the park to meet someone. This doesn't sound good, IMO. This one is close to home...I'll be following it closely.

https://patch.com/california/lakeforest-ca/missing-lake-forest-have-you-seen-blaze-bernstein

[​IMG]

Thread #1
    Thread #2

Attached Files:

2. eekasaur

eekasaur Well-Known Member

3. losangeles24

losangeles24 Well-Known Member

Thank you!!

4. Sillybilly

Sillybilly Administrator Staff Member Administrator

This thread is dedicated to fact-based discussion of Blaze's case, not our opinions on psychics or moderation, or to chastise other members for their thoughts.

If you take issue with moderation or posts by others, please use the Alert feature or PM a Mod or Admin rather than derail the thread by making it about your opinion on those topics.

Thanks.

Sillybilly
    WS Admin

5. JazzTune

JazzTune Verified Registered Nurse

( BBM )

We are a different breed I agree. My co-workers and I often discussed this very topic among ourselves. Why were we here. I can't speak for everyone, but for myself, it was because of my father.

He was mentally ill his entire life but there was no real help available until after his death. I spent my childhood alternating between loving him and being angry at him.

When I was going through my psychiatric education in nursing, I 'saw' my dad for the first time. I felt sad and enlightened at the same time.

I still did not enter the psychiatric field for a long time. I spent many years in regular nursing, with ten of them, working in the Emergency Department.

We treated many overdoses, and psychiatric crises. Many of them, especially those with schizophrenia, had no one who cared whether they lived or died. No one to see whether they got to their out-patient follow up appointments that we dutifully made for them.

Some of them returned so frequently we knew them on first-name basis.

I 'saw' my father in many of them. I could no longer help him, ( or even apologize for not understanding his behavior ) but I could help them.

That's why I went into Psychiatric Nursing.

Interestingly enough, almost all my co-workers had a similar story. They had a family member or loved one who they saw go through the torture of mental illness. They wanted to understand it all better so that they could be more helpful.

Mental illness touches so many more people than the person affected.

Life for the mentally ill is never easy, and I will always be grateful for learning the true meaning of courage from them...

JMO

6. Midge Montana

Midge Montana Well-Known Member

Just bringing my post about this topic forward:
    What's really cool...ANYONE can message a celebrity (unless they have their messaging turned off) with a copy of ANY missing persons poster and ask that celeb to share it!
    The amount of exposure any case gets is somewhat dependent on friends/loved ones/sleuthers, etc. willingness to really work the case by spreading the message far and wide.
    One example is the Michael Chambers case...many of us got very active in contacting news shows, podcasts, missing persons pages, etc. and even nationwide firefighters pages, as well as retired firefighter pages and asked them to share MC's poster.
    I've seen 'share campaigns' where someone has messaged a missing person's favorite singer/band and asked for a share to help out the missing fan.
    Danielle Stislicki's family and friends have done an incredible job of advocating for the return of their beloved daughter. Created bracelets, started a painted rock campaign, have get togethers where they paint car windows with Dani's hashtag and info. They have what seems a close relationship with a certain reporter who they keep in the loop and who keeps us in the loop. Sadly, there are SO many missing persons that those with 'squeaky wheel' supporters get the most attention.
    Be creative and reach out.

There isn't a lot some of us can do from miles and miles away, but some of us can dedicate some time to sit down with ANY missing persons case and spread the word.

7. stlrfninca

stlrfninca Member

I believe the father characterized Blaze's cooking and writing as ways for him to escape from stress, which tells me that he viewed them more as hobbies than serious pursuits. I think it's very possible that Blaze wanted to pursue writing and/or cooking - he wouldn't have attended a specialized performing arts high school otherwise - and his parents were pushing him towards a more "noble" career choice, and that this may have caused some strain in their relationship. This would lend credence to the theory that he has disappeared on his own, which for his sake is what I hope has happened.

Unfortunately I still think it's plausible that there was foul play involved, although I'm beginning to lean in the direction that his disappearance was voluntary.

The only thing that doesn't jive with that is that I'm sure the police have already been down this train of thought, and if they thought it was a voluntary disappearance, I don't think there would still be so many resources on the case.

Definitely mysterious... I'm sure there are also many clues that we are not yet being made privy to, likely for good reason.

I agree that it doesn't seem like the typical missing persons case - still reminds me of an episode of "Without a Trace"

8. 'Ailina

'Ailina Inactive

Very well said, JazzTune. Thank you for this.

9. PaulR

PaulR Verified Software and Computer Tech

The issues with the phones bothers me for a few reasons.

The phone Blaze had was "not receiving calls." This seems oddly specific. If I have a cell phone that doesn't have service - either I didn't pay the bill or took out the SIM card or whatever - it can still make 911 calls, and 911 calls only (and no incoming calls.) It can also, if connected to WiFi, make VOIP (voice over IP) calls using apps like Skype, Facetime, Google Voice, etc. There appear to be apps that can be installed on a phone to specifically prevent outgoing calls, at least for Android, not sure about iPhone. I'm sure these apps can be configured so they can only call a certain subset of numbers (parents, police, etc.)

Now we know that his father had access to Blaze's phone and was able to successfully use it to send an email. This means unlocking the phone of course, it also means the display wasn't cracked (or wasn't too cracked) otherwise he wouldn't have been able to navigate to the mail app to send it. There's the possibility that there was a physical problem with the phone's cellular antenna that would have prevented any kind of incoming/outgoing calls over the cell network, but in that case the SIM card could have been removed and placed into the phone Blaze was lent from a relative, which should have worked fine. Note that the SIM card may or may not be in Blaze's phone, since his father could have sent the mail using the WiFi connection.

Then Blaze's mother reminding him about location services. If the phone doesn't have a working cellular connection - meaning a SIM card and a paid-up plan - location services aren't going to work very well. Presumably the phone is still connected to a local cell tower, otherwise 911 calls won't work at all, but location services usually means using the phone's GPS, cell tower triangulation, and any WiFI networks picked up and sending that data along the network, which I don't think will happen since there is no actual service. Perhaps this happens when a 911 call is made, but that didn't happen here.

Possibilities given the evidence we have:
    - Blaze had his cell phone taken away for some reason, and he borrowed the spare cell phone of a relative which did not have a SIM card and thus could really only make 911 calls (unless it was within range of WiFi he could use and he used Facetime or a similar app.)
    - Blaze's cell phone use was restricted or monitored in such a way that he found onerous - like having to keep location tracking on so his parents could see where he was all the time - and he borrowed the spare cell phone of a relative to evade this. For whatever reason, he did not remove the SIM card from his phone. Note this doesn't necessarily mean the phone did not have a SIM card, since there are inexpensive prepaid SIM cards available.
    - The cellular capabilities of Blaze's cell phone were broken and he borrowed the spare cell phone of a relative, and the SIM card was not moved. Note moving the SIM card is not a difficult operation, most cell phones come with the tools to do it (usually a kind of pin that allows the SIM card tray to be removed and the card extracted), and cell phone stores will typically do this for you for free.

I have a feeling we aren't being told everything.

10. losangeles24

yes!!

11. Voice4theSilent

Voice4theSilent Well-Known Member

BBM

Todd Spitzer throwing his name into the mix with the offer of a (small) reward adds to the pressure on OCSD. Spitzer is trying to unseat the current DA and there is a LONG history between the two, spotlighting current controversies, and back and forth "fighting"(for lack of a better word) on FB and in the media. It will be interesting to see how this plays out because of it all. IMO Spitzer is an opportunist who (for so, so many reasons) is a politician through and through (and not in a good way.)

12. stlrfninca

stlrfninca Member

I may be cynical here, but I think there's one reason this case has garnered nationwide media attention - the fact that one of the friends organized a "search party" consisting of drones. This is interesting new technology and those in the media thought it made for a good story.

I live 10 minutes away and even I hadn't heard much about this case until Monday when it became national news due to the drone search over the weekend.

Then once a case gets national exposure it takes on a life of its own.

That doesn't mean this case isn't mysterious and strange, it definitely is, but I think the drone aspect was the catalyst that pushed it into the national spotlight.

JMO

13. losangeles24

As for Kobe Bryant, he lives in OC so he's doing this as a member of his community. He's asked all the time to post retweet etc., and this was the first post on a missing person, I've noticed he's posted .
    As for the OC housewives , same thing they live in OC so it hits home for them .
    with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar , I read his post he says he's friends of the family ❤️

14. freebird2018

freebird2018 Former Member

obviously BB's family is loving and supporting and maybe so afraid because they know he is mentally unstable and taking meds for it. He is struggling with his sexuality, interests and probably mental illness that shows up in males at this age. everyone is afraid for him. even though he is an adult he is referred to as a sweet kid, because of meeting apps i am so afraid he was tricked and abducted. everyone is so kind to speculate but i calm myself down knowing that ocsd etc are on it along with a million people all over the world.. this wiil be the largest digital celebrity manhunt in history, people searching from their sofas. hope he comes today ...safe..

15. Steelslady

Steelslady Justice for Kelsey

Thank you for this amazing post. Just thank you.

16. freebird2018

plus affluent OC and LA shakers and movers began largest digital media search ever launched, wow..... they Know how to get it done....[very impressive...hopefully quickly effective!!! ..............

QUOTE=stlrfninca;13856851]I may be cynical here, but I think there's one reason this case has garnered nationwide media attention - the fact that one of the friends organized a "search party" consisting of drones. This is interesting new technology and those in the media thought it made for a good story.

I live 10 minutes away and even I hadn't heard much about this case until Monday when it became national news due to the drone search over the weekend.

Then once a case gets national exposure it takes on a life of its own.

That doesn't mean this case isn't mysterious and strange, it definitely is, but I think the drone aspect was the catalyst that pushed it into the national spotlight.

JMO[/QUOTE]

17. Pseudonymph

Pseudonymph Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I was going to say the same thing.

18. Whiteorchids

Whiteorchids Well-Known Member

That's a good point about borrowing one of his parents cars to only go around the corner. He's 19 goes out of state to college but why wouldn't he borrow their car or ride a bike he has two other siblings they live close to the trails I'm sure they have bikes they look like an active outdoor family.

If he was supposed to meet a third person why didn't he just give that person his address instead of #1 friend. Because it was a hook-up? a date from online?

No scent of BB at the park? I find that so telling. I really think only two people were involved BB and this friend. They met up to go somewhere for whatever reason. I'm not buying they went to a park nor a third person.

19. Oyecomova

Oyecomova New Member

5 min drive, 25 min walk

20. freebird2018

I cannot image how they are coping, and they have two kids in school there. how sad and scary for the sibs ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.