Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the taking communion and confession discussion, do we know if the family is Catholic?
Episcopalians also can take communion, and not necessarily confession.

Do we know which church they attended? Being from Tennessee I would have imagined they'd be Southern Baptist or something like that, but I don't know anything about those.

Sorry if that's already been disclosed, I'm a bit behind (present family problems)

Yes, Catholic.
From the article I linked above...
“Woodward’s parents, Blake and Michele, sat in the second row of the courtroom with Wilbur Davis, a retired priest whom they’ve known for 10 years through Our Lady Queen of Angels Catholic Church in Newport Beach. They recited the Lord’s Prayer before the court proceeding began.

Davis described the family as “devout” in their Catholic faith. Woodward’s parents attend Mass nearly every day, he said.”

Incidentally, many Protestant churches take communion (even Southern Baptists, just not as often, and they usually refer to it as The Lord's Supper). And there are Catholics in the south. I grew up in MS, raised Southern Baptist, and my best friend in HS was Catholic.

Regarding the taking communion and confession discussion, do we know if the family is Catholic?
Episcopalians also can take communion, and not necessarily confession.

Do we know which church they attended? Being from Tennessee I would have imagined they'd be Southern Baptist or something like that, but I don't know anything about those.

Sorry if that's already been disclosed, I'm a bit behind (present family problems)

I think it was reported that the family is catholic. But all Christian denominations partake in communion in some fashion. But I think the whole communion thing is irrelevant. It was stupid for the priest to have said anything at all.

I'm going to say that I've never met an American Catholic who doesn't "understand how it's all supposed to work." (What is this nonsense, honestly? Catholics are beat over the head with how this all works before we are allowed to make our First Communion, which is a big, big deal and involves a serious ceremony where we are dressed almost for a wedding in little white dresses and suits.)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OK. I won't argue the point with you. I'm sharing my opinions and experiences. Congratulations, you don't know anyone like that, I however do and know many people who fit into the category of not understanding the finer points of theology, who have a very laissez-faire attitude towards the rules of the church.

OK. I won't argue the point with you. I'm sharing my opinions and experiences. Congratulations, you don't know anyone like that, I however do and know many people who fit into the category of not understanding the finer points of theology, who have a very laissez-faire attitude towards the rules of the church.
You didn't say that. You said because they don't understand how it works.

Can I ask if you are a practicing Catholic? I'm curious where all your expertise is coming from. And if you are, I'd be curious to know what diocese you are in, because I've lived in 3 states and many dioceses, and I have never met a fellow Catholic in any of them who did not understand what is arguably the most important sacrament in our religion. The eucharist is, in fact, part of just about every other sacrament we receive. It's that central to our faith.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Personally, I think that if SW didn't seem to have a problem stabbing someone else to death and hiding the body, he wouldn't have a problem taking communion without going to confession first, regardless of how it's suppose to work.

I understanding the point of your entire comment but the bolded portion, I just want to make clear, I'm not referring to sexual harassment in the SW/BB case, I'm referring to sexual assault in my respective scenarios.

There is another dimension to this that I think may be getting lost (not directing this to you LaneGirl but in general) and that is we are talking about a male. A gay man kissing a straight man, especially if the straight man is insecure in their sexual identity, has a lot more implications for our straight man then it does for the woman in my previous scenarios. A gay man kissing a straight man what doesn't wish to have that sort of interaction can be viewed as an attack on his masculinity. It wasn't that long ago where a gay man kissing a straight man would have gotten that gay man a beating or even worse.

I think a major problem here is that we simply don't know enough about SW, his upbringing, beliefs and most importantly, what type of family culture he comes from. I do know he is from Tennessee but that in and of itself doesn't mean anything. If he was from a mountain family I could certainly understand his violent reaction, good ol boys tend to react violent to unwanted sexual advances from other men but with his mother being a family therapist I have my doubt that he was a good ol boy in the classic sense of the term.

Still not comfortable with your inference that a unwanted kiss by a gay man is any justifiable reason to stab someone 20 times. Even more disturbing is the attempt to portray it as something completely separate/worse than a man kissing a woman.

I think my interpretation comes from experience with some women I view as similar to her. I saw her as angry. Not concerned. Again, that is TOTALLY normal. If this was my son I would want the media to go away too. I would want everyone to just leave me alone. She has every right to feel that way.

*I* would be extremely upset at her speaking for me if I were the victim's parents. I do not get the impression that the parents are friends with each other. So for her to take it upon herself to ask for privacy for them, seems out of line to me.

It would be different had this been childhood best friends, who's parents were also friends. If they were close I would be able to understand it more. However, it's very clear to me that this was an attempt to shut down the media. Under the guise of concern for the Bernstein's, when the real motivation is protecting your own family.

Totally and completely understandable. Just rubs me the wrong way in contrast to what the Bernstein's are doing. Perhaps they appreciate the gesture and it's not a big deal. I just know that I would be upset, so that's why I didn't think it was appropriate.

I do love that you don't see her negatively Jazz. I wish I wasn't so jaded sometimes. :thinking:

I've been thinking about your post quite a bit since my initial response to it, and I think I owe you an apology. You worded this well, and it really DOES make a lot of sense.

The comments made to the media by SW's mother probably did irritate Blaze's parents for the very reason you described here.

I'm still thinking that SW's mother didn't think of her remarks from that angle at all, but it would have been best if she had.

This kind of stress though may have shut down much of her intuitive thought processes.

Just wanted you to know that I did change my mind about your post, and I'm sorry for disregarding it so quickly.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

JMO

I took it that SW was excited to take communion.

If SW didn’t go to confession...Could be that SW was excited to take communion, as a demonstration that he did not commit a mortal sin.

If SW did go to confession...Could be that SW was excited to take communion, as a demonstration that he’s been absolved of his sin?

Thats what I think too. By saying "when he expressed excitement about" sounds to me like they had a conversation ... and this conversation a priest could be compelled to testify to. It might be a backdoor way to getting the priest to testify what he knows re if SW went to confession or if SW didn't go to confession and he is trying to tell a priest that he didnt commit a mortal sin and is excited to show that by going to communion then he is lying to the priest.

I say all of this bc I think they are going to use the fact of how religious SW was as part of his insanity or panic defense in him committing this crime and getting a lessor sentence. If blood and DNA etc is there linking SW to the crime as they say, then lying to a priest might cast doubt as to his religiosity.

Nashville has areas that a progressive relative to what we consider 'southern conservatism', but Memphis or Knoxville, to name two other larger cities, may not.

Do we have an exact place of birth for him?

In a situation like this, is there some argument for making his medical records - including psychiatric - available? I have difficulty believing that his parents were totally clueless that their son had issues. I know the parents are not on trial, but I do want to consider the possibility that they may have contributed to their son's reactions that night, and think it is a valid avenue for investigation.

It is said that SW took communion the day after the murder, which would suggest that SW also went to confession. What precedent is there for requiring testimony from his priest regarding what SW may have said?
A priest will not break a vow given in confession, and he will not be ordered to break it by a judge. No precedent that I have ever seen.

I think if priests were compelled to blab something they heard in confession, it would defeat the entire trust factor of someone giving confession. I believe the Church knows that, which is why it's part of Canon Law. If you know something you say can be repeated in confession, you aren't going to want to go, or be honest in it.

I understanding the point of your entire comment but the bolded portion, I just want to make clear, I'm not referring to sexual harassment in the SW/BB case, I'm referring to sexual assault in my respective scenarios.

There is another dimension to this that I think may be getting lost (not directing this to you LaneGirl but in general) and that is we are talking about a male. A gay man kissing a straight man, especially if the straight man is insecure in their sexual identity, has a lot more implications for our straight man then it does for the woman in my previous scenarios. A gay man kissing a straight man what doesn't wish to have that sort of interaction can be viewed as an attack on his masculinity. It wasn't that long ago where a gay man kissing a straight man would have gotten that gay man a beating or even worse.

I think a major problem here is that we simply don't know enough about SW, his upbringing, beliefs and most importantly, what type of family culture he comes from. I do know he is from Tennessee but that in and of itself doesn't mean anything. If he was from a mountain family I could certainly understand his violent reaction, good ol boys tend to react violent to unwanted sexual advances from other men but with his mother being a family therapist I have my doubt that he was a good ol boy in the classic sense of the term.

Still not comfortable with your inference that a unwanted kiss by a gay man is any justifiable reason to stab someone 20 times. Even more disturbing is the attempt to portray it as something completely separate/worse than a man kissing a woman.

I completely agree Maroon10!

As the mother of a gay child I was infuriated by the above post arguing that a kiss from a gay person is worse than a male/ female unwanted kiss. The gay panic defense is is illegal in CAL and arguing for its merits should be also against the rules of this forum bc it is espousing discrimination ideology!!

There is no hierarchy to unwanted kisses being more damaging ... If you change the word gay to a skin color that is also discriminatory.. I dont think any of that belongs here where a diverse population is reading.

I wonder when the OCR is going to release the next installment of the now sealed affidavit. We need new food for fodder. Maybe it will give some clarity to what we already know. However, this is all SW's version so none of us can take any part of it as gospel. IMO.

Blaze Bernstein's parents speak out:
'Bring goodness to the world' in their son's name

The parents of slain college student Blaze Bernstein talk
about healing a few days after their slain son was found
in an Orange County park.

Robert Gauthier, video,
Cindy Carcamo, writer, both reporting for The Los Angeles Times
Jan 18 18

Blaze's parents state, in the 56 sec video

Jeanne:
"His death. He's gone.
It doesn't matter why, unless we can fix it.
That's the only thing that matters.
It doesn't change it. Doesn't make it worse.
There's nothing worse than losing him.
That's the only reason why it matters,
is if we can fix whatever problem existed,
that cause this to happen.
If it can be fixed, then we will find it.
We will find a way to fix it.
Whatever it is."

Gideon:
If we can change this,
as I've said before,
from a moment to a movement of people doing good.
And being able to also help,
change people's lives
that may... be in situations like this,
To us, that's going to be, just,
that's part of our healing process.

~

[video=youtube;venJIVDzhlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=venJIVDzhlk[/video]

Blaze Bernstein's parents speak out:
'Bring goodness to the world' in their son's name

The parents of slain college student Blaze Bernstein talk
about healing a few days after their slain son was found
in an Orange County park.

Robert Gauthier, video,
Cindy Carcamo, writer, both reporting for The Los Angeles Times
Jan 18 17

Blaze's parents state, in the 56 sec video

Jeanne:
"His death. He's gone.
It doesn't matter why, unless we can fix it.
That's the only thing that matters.
It doesn't change it. Doesn't make it worse.
There's nothing worse than losing him.
That's the only reason why it matters,
is if we can fix whatever problem existed,
that cause this to happen.
If it can be fixed, then we will find it.
We will find a way to fix it.
Whatever it is."

Gideon:
If we can change this,
as I've said before,
from a moment to a movement of people doing good.
And being able to also help,
change people's lives
that may... be in situations like this,
To us, that's going to be, just,
that's part of our healing process.

~

[video=youtube;venJIVDzhlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=venJIVDzhlk[/video]

These are amazing parents. Imo. If this was my child, I think I'd be sedated, a heap of uselessness at this point.

I cannot fathom.

Oh, those proud, proud parents with their son between them in that picture. Tears brimmed in my eyes. We have one child -- a son so dear, and I thank God that he is living a good life with a wonderful little family. BB's spark was just beginning to really glow. I think he was indeed headed for success -- and his parents were a big part of raising him to be proud of himself and to succeed. I can't imagine how they can even breathe right now. And sleeping must be nearly impossible.

[video=youtube;4RENj9Ij2Fk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RENj9Ij2Fk[/video]
FOX 11 Los Angeles
Jan 17 18

These are amazing parents. Imo. If this was my child, I think I'd be sedated, a heap of uselessness at this point.

I cannot fathom.

Me too. I have a weird feeling they will not want the DA to seek the death penalty. They are incredibly generous and gracious considering the circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it was reported that the family is catholic. But all Christian denominations partake in communion in some fashion. But I think the whole communion thing is irrelevant. It was stupid for the priest to have said anything at all.

“Confession, communion, Eagle Scout” . These shouldn’t matter at all in court. I agree that it’s irrelevant and less than smart. Since the attorney probably knows that it won’t hold up in court that makes me believe that these comments are an intentional attempt to gain sympathy NOW. In my opinion the key is ‘now’, in the immediate sense, as in Bail and further charges.

SW telling the priest he was excited, etc is less than smart but also grandiose thinking. In his mind he is writing his own story for the public, because ‘he can’. I don’t see a 20 yr old guy saying that to a priest with the exception of it being within a context of service, milestone, etc. As a previous poster said ‘how can you be excited about anything when someone is missing or dead, especially if you are the last person that was with the victim? Guilty or not, being excited isn’t synonymous with the circumstances at hand.

Assuming that the family priest was fully retired it was another priest then who would heard SW in the confessional. If that is even true I think it’s odd for the priest to comment on any activity of another priest.

Circling back to how these comments on Confession-Communion-Eagle Scout in my opinion are a deluge tactic.

I'm still stuck on scouting-but not in the way that some of you are. Odds are if SW were an Eagle Scout, it would be something you could find-a mention in a newspaper, on a website,a photo. I know it's possible that it slipped through the cracks, but....

The troop that he would probably belong to based on residence and family involvement does not include him on their Eagle Scout honor roll. The list is long and goes up to 2017 so I would think he would be included.
Based on family involvement it could be inferred that many family members might feel comfortable with knives used in scouting, and one could suppose that they might carry a knife at all times (I do, and I am certainly no Boy or Girl Scout).

Would anyone care if the lawyer lied about SW being an Eagle Scout? If SW at one time was working towards his Eagle Scout rank, but fell short?

I'm still stuck on scouting-but not in the way that some of you are. Odds are if SW were an Eagle Scout, it would be something you could find-a mention in a newspaper, on a website,a photo. I know it's possible that it slipped through the cracks, but....

The troop that he would probably belong to based on residence and family involvement does not include him on their Eagle Scout honor roll. The list is long and goes up to 2017 so I would think he would be included.
Based on family involvement it could be inferred that many family members might feel comfortable with knives used in scouting, and one could suppose that they might carry a knife at all times (I do, and I am certainly no Boy or Girl Scout).

Would anyone care if the lawyer lied about SW being an Eagle Scout? If SW at one time was working towards his Eagle Scout rank, but fell short?

Good point. I tried Googling Sam Woodward and Boy Scouts or Eagle Scout but didn't find anything that sounded unique to him. Then again, it's a common name, and not everything shows up on the web. So who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288